• Published 30th Sep 2014
  • 2,019 Views, 30 Comments

Pony POV Series Origins: Dazzlings - Alex Warlorn



Origins of the Dazzlings, the sirens, in the Pony POV Verse. Where did these sirens come from, who were they? And why send them to another world? Get ready for plenty of surprises for these through and through monsters.

  • ...
5
 30
 2,019

Welcome To the Show

Pony POV Series Origins:
The Dazzlings
Part 1 of 2
WARNING: SPOILERS TO EQUESTRIA GIRLS RAINBOW ROCKS!

"Mares and Gentlestallions!" Announced Dazzle Links of PTV fame. "Please put your hooves together, for a group of ponies after my own heart! The Dazzlings!"

The crowd of unicorns, Earth Ponies, pegasi, and flutterponies cheered, Queen Rosedust's youngest daughter, Princess Crystal, being in the POV box wearing Dazzling merchandise.

A beautiful equine head popped out of the water, followed by others.

"Shoo-be-doo! JUST KIDDING! Let's give you ponies something that REALLY ROCKS!" Adagio Dazzle told the crowd through her water proof headset. She gave a smile as the crowd responded with a roar of excitement, the mare soaking it in like the water she swam in.

The background music began to play.

The group began the number with a beautiful series of wordless vocals that set the tone perfectly.

Welcome to the show!
You're all ready we know!
The time is now
You can cast off your doubt
Cause it's time to start out!

Dazzle Links was sorry she had to leave right after the concert started, the group of seaponies were were quite good. She could still hear the wordless vocals that were one of their signatures still in the background as she headed to meet her method of travel this evening.

She wanted to with her husband, Chain Links, when the wish spell was officially cast, and he was on the other side of the ocean. Thankfully she had a high speed pegasus flight (the newest trick of the tribes' reunification) waiting for her after she had done her job. She couldn't help wondering what the band playing's wishes were. Oh well, she'd find out soon enough.

The Isle of Pony's Spell Castle, which had none less than Starlight herself present to formally usher in the spell that would remake the world into paradise, stood finished and beautiful. And so, to help call in what would be literally the rebirth of the world, the royal family of the Isle of Pony headed by Princess Rosey herself, had called in the best musicians the seapony tribe could offer.


Feel the wave of sound
As it crashes down
You can't turn away
We'll make you wanna stay!


Adagio Dazzle ducked her head underwater, and dove straight down before making a beeline to the surface in a arcing leap, at the apex, her body shimmered and shined like sunlight, her lower body changing to a second set of hooves, and her fins grew into a pair of translucent wings. The hearts of the flutterpony stallions beat faster, something which Adagio's pose implied was completely intentional.

She landed gracefully on her two new rear hooves on the island stage, and danced as she continued to sing.

Trans-tribe magic was extremely expensive, its taboo status in most countries only driving the cost up higher. Being able to shift between two tribes was the cutting edge. Publicly speaking, a exception was made for seaponies, after all, it was easier (and less humiliating) to go on four hooves on land than having be carted around everywhere like a cripple. The spell itself had been another thing gleaned from the rainbow of light itself. The process to engrain the spell into her body had been long and a little painful, but it was worth it.

While it was controversial to say the least, (by members of every tribe), never was it claimed the Dazzlings were timid or undaring. And the crowd loved it.


We know we're adored
Tell us that you want us!
You've watched our dreams soar!
Now let us hear you roar!

Aria Blaze and Sonata Dusk dove underwater next, and leapt up together, transforming mid arc and landing in perfect step with Adagio. The ponies cheered even louder as they made suggestive and seductive moves to the audience.

Just stay with us
Write myths of us
Carried on by our sound!

Tempo Wave and Oratorio Waltz dove under and leapt next, creating an 'x' behind the other band members before transforming themselves, landing, and joining in the dance.

What we have in store
All you want and more.
When you think we're through
That's when we'll surprise you!

The audience went wild as the five ponies turned their backs, fluttered their wings, and dived back under water, changing shape again. Then all five of the Dazzlings burst out of the water at once, taking to the sky above the audience.

Welcome to the show!
You're all ready we know!
The time is now
You can cast off your doubt
Cause it's time to start out!

The five ponies landed back on stage and did a bow, the crowd erupting in applause like the group had asked for.


+++

So you want to know about us? Heh, it's not like you CAN'T know about us! Adagio Dazzle, lead singer and eldest of the Dazzlings at my service!

Where were I and my sisters born? We were born Seasville, but have since moved to Aquastria itself. Better than with our dozen other sisters and brothers. Big ocean, why stay cooped up in a little pond?

My biological father in the school was Achelous, and my biological mother in our school was Aglaope.

Seaponies have large families? You land ponies are the ones who have small families!

Make a joke about us multiplying like fish and Aria will probably make you eat your mic. She's got a bit of a temper you know.

When the land pony tribes found each other again, lots of ponies panicked, thinking we were gonna end up as, blech, 'seafood' platters or mounted on walls, or kept as goldfish if we were ever discovered. Being in an aquarium being looked at by dozens daily? Tempting, but not something I was interested in.

But other seaponies felt our 'discovery' was only a matter of time so it was best to discover others first. Most thought that this was a chance to make new friends now that land ponies had opened up to there being different kinds of ponies.

Yes yes me and my sisters saved some sailors too, seriously, you land ponies practically throw yourselves in the water sometimes, it's like you want to drown, or you want to meet with one of us, not that I could ever blame you for that one. I think one of the sailors I saved has a crush on me, I get a ton of fan mail from the guy.

My sisters and I are as big below the waves as we are above them, get a pair of gills and come to one of our underwater concerts sometimes, you'll see how good we really are! These pipes are made for below the sea, after all. If we're this good with a handicap, imagine hearing us at our full potential.

Anyway, with the land ponies back together, King Leo decided we should reunite as one herd. Heh.

My sisters and I were just happy that we were all going to get along. But then we heard the noise all those ponies were passing off as music! Blech! There was no way we were about to let that stand!

You see, us sea ponies love our music. It's our pride and joy. We were joining the big wide world, so why not share the thing we love most to ponies who obviously need it?

Shame Melody and her band aren't playing today. Only real competition we have. We could have closed out the old world with a good old battle of the bands. Then again, I guess having the center stage during the last concert of the old world isn't too bad. I like the sound of that myself.

-

Big sister Adagio finally let the rest of us speak? About time. Aria Blaze, yes, I know Blaze isn't the name you expect from a seapony, is it my birth name? Not telling buddy. Respect a lady's privacy or that lady might feed you your headset...oh, she already said I'd do that if you clopped me off? We're sisters, what did you expect?

In the school, my birth father was Achelous and my birth mother Thelxiepeia. No, we're sisters. We're all foals of the same school; you land ponies are weird, you know that? After all this time I STILL don't get how you can have such a narrow view of what is and isn't family! I thought you all thought you were a herd or a flock or whatever!

So big sister decided we could make a huge splash with the land ponies since you clearly needed some education on what real music is. I mean, do you ever listen to your own stuff? You land ponies should be grateful. The first time Sonata heard violin music, she asked if two catfish were getting into a fight! You don't know what that sounds like? Like a violin, I just told you!

Yes we know Melody of the Rockin' Beats. She's the only mare I've met who can match big sister in terms of ego. We met at the first annual Five Tribes Cultural Exchange. Melody and big sister got into a 'discussion' about what made good music. It was fun watching big sister sing her heart out and the land pony keeping up with her every step of the way until they BOTH fainted! No offense, but I think Adagio needed taken down a few pegs. We're always singing her songs, why not ours?

Big sister Adagio will never admit it, but she knows she and Melody are kindred spirits. It was FUN meeting her twin little sisters Jing-A-Ling and Ting-A-Ling, you could say those two are OUR kindred spirits.

Half-Note's a nice gal. I think she knows what I mean about the lead hogging the spotlight. We shared a few drinks while our leads recovers. Girl's got a good beat!

The charity battle of the bands we did? It was a draw! I don't care what the judges say, that was a technicality! We won! You hear me? That was clog in the rule book! Rematch? Any time. We love a good battle any day.

Yes I'm a descendant of Wave Dancer of Paradise Estate, my family scroll goes all the way back to when we seaponies could go through streams and rivers without having to worry about being hit by litter. Yeah, who do you think has to deal with the stuff you land ponies throw away? We live in the ocean you know. And yeah, Half-Note told me about a certain flood in Ponyville caused by trash, you land ponies can't even keep the rivers clean to protect yourself!

-

Greetings, I am Sonata Dusk. My sire in our school is Phorcys, my birth mother is Peisinoe. Yes I am fully aware those aren't what you land ponies consider traditional names. But they're named after several of our ocean and river spirits, so please so some proper respect. You wouldn't want us making fun of humans, right?

While we have accountants and the like, I prefer to think of myself as our school's number cruncher. My sisters need to learn to appreciate me some more in my humble opinion. After all, how could we make a profit without somepony to make sure the money is spent in the right places.

I am fully aware that when we made our debut on land, that we were seen as a novelty. But big sister was determined to ride that wave to the top and she delivered. Adagio has always known how to get attention and keep attention! We weren't just better than the land ponies lands and their crude music, but we were the best. No offense, but our herd has simply had a few extra thousand years to hone our talents with self expression through music, singing to the whales and dolphins. I'm sure you'll catch up, eventually.

Pretty Beat is a member of Melody's band yes, that mare is rather proud of her face, and she is rather attractive. She talks about needing to find a stallion, but the time she's spent helping bring about the Wish Spell, hopefully she can finally find a mate now that it's finally complete. Heh, maybe that'll be her wish to find Mr. Right. Sea ponies and mates? It's...complicated. We have mates for life, but you could say we're 'free love' in other areas.


You should have been there, were you? No. Too bad. All those land ponies, they were practically slack jawed. You have no idea how red in the gills Aria got when some of them dared crack some fish jokes. You don't see us cracking horse jokes do you? But that made it all the more satisfying when they closed their traps when they heard us sing. There wasn't a heckler left in the house by the time we were done. There wasn't a land pony who didn't hear us that day who didn't want our voices recorded on records, CD, MP3 card. I can't blame them. Our voices deserve to be recorded for history to remember us. Wish we could get a good recording of how they sounded to a sea pony ear underwater. I'd say we've left an impression on ponies that isn't going to be easily forgotten.

-

You've talked with the others huh? I'm Tempo Wave. Yes I guess my green scales do compliment my sisters. Yes these are all our natural colors. No Adagio didn't pick us based on who'd look best, we came together for who would sound best! And there isn't a set of voices that sound better above or below the waves! Be it alone or together as a group! You can take that as a standing challenge.

Sigh. Sometimes I think we're like Cerberus if his heads wanted to go in different directions. Our personalities have a habit of clashing at times It's a good thing Adagio is as good as she is at giving us a direction, and Aria is good at keeping the others in line while Sonata is what keeps our logistics in order. And of course Oratorio Waltz is the one who makes our dance routines.

But you wouldn't know that from listening to them speak. Personally? I think they each see the rest of us are a riptide pulling them back while they try to swim forward. So why do we stick together? Because we're sisters, we're a school, we're family. We've been that way from the day we were born What other answer do we need?

Me? I keep us from squabbling in public. I swear, I may be younger, but the rest of my sisters can act like foals sometimes! Adagio Dazzle is a passing mother figure, but you wouldn't know that from how she and Aria talk smack to each other sometimes. Sonata has a bit of a problem telling when she should keep her mouth shut at times. Oratorio Waltz is NOT happy if we ever dare try to impro any of her routines, and Adagio loves to overrule her.

Maybe that's why I don't feel like quoting where my DNA comes from. We're a school, we're sisters, what else needs there to be? The past is dead, the future isn't here yet. Live in the moment I say. Why waste it acting like a bunch of brats to each other? If I have one wish for the wish spell to grant, it's that we'll get along together as one like we really should.

Tuneful from Rockin' Beats knows what I mean, odd pony, Tuneful is actually HAPPY they're not center stage, (being the keyboard player), and is happy to just be part of the band. That land pony is something else.

The music we sing I think has done a lot of good for these land ponies, I swear, all those imitators might be annoying, I swear they're going to damage their throats trying to copy the notes we can sing, their vocal cords just aren't built for it (our singing partners are sometimes whales, we need to have a wide vocal range), but in the end, I'd say they've now got a north magnetism to get them in the right direction to improve themselves.

Not that the other tribes haven't improved things for us too of course, see me fly sometimes and you'll know exactly what I mean. And the wish spell, heh, I can't wait to see what new world we create from all our hopes and dreams will be like.

-

Oratorio Waltz, singer and dance coordinator for the Dazzlings. You talked with my sister PR girl Tempo Wave. Yes I'd say we need each other, all my routines are made for five ponies after all. Aria and Sonata are closer to Adagio because of our ages. The eldest seapony leads the rest of the school. It's tradition. Nothing wrong with it. Don't you land ponies at least have elders for some of your tribes? Unicorns do? See?

We were big at home, but we exploded once we hit the surface, and those shock waves pushed us to the top of the carts in Aquastria as well! All those ponies look at us, loving us, adoring us, even compared to the schools who visited our performances back home it as nothing! Literal schools or schools of sea ponies? Both. And to think this was virgin territory as we struck gold first! We've become the mental image of seaponies singing for the land ponies. We're the go to for music.

It was SHOCKING when we heard that Aquastria had dumped out its funding to build the Rocking Beats a seaside stadium! How could seaponies consider that simplistic, shallow beating music? There are so few wavelengths and everything! Not to mention it's hard to design a dance when you only have two dimensions to work with, I think that was a major reason why we got the flutterpony spell wired into us. Anything else just felt so limiting. No offense to Earth Ponies, but the idea of being stuck with your tailfin glued to the ground sounds awful to me.

Don't worry Sweet Notes knows it's just some friendly competition between us. Just some friendly rivalry between bands. We wouldn't have done a charity battle of the bands with the Rockin' Beats otherwise. You should hear some of the jokes she makes about seapony music, but she loves it to death, she even said she's considering getting a permanent gills spell so she can move to Aquastria. I admire her in a way, at least she knows how to put her foot down. Too bad that rarely works with my sisters when I want them to keep in step. Unfortunately keeping ponies in line is Aria's thing and not mine.

Those ponies . . . the Rockin' Beats and us are kindred spirits I'll admit, we both know how we give meaning to the masses dreary lives so they can keep civilization turning, I swear, without music, ponies civilization, all ponies, would grind to a halt, mark my words.

Yes, I'd say we definitely love the cheers from the crowd almost as much as they love us.

-Interview of the Dazzlings about themselves for PTV Magazine a couple hours before the Wish Spell was cast

+++

The rainbow spread across the world, and remade everything and everypony to what those ponies truly wanted most.

Adagio Dazzle wished, "I'll always be top singer."
Tempo Wave wished, "We'll get along together as one like we really should.'
Sonata Dusk wished, "The other all had my brains."
Aria Blaze wished, "We could sing my songs."
Oratorio Waltz wished, "My sisters would follow my routines as perfectly as I do."

And deep down, the other four each of them wished for, "A shot at being lead singer in our group."

For seaponies, wishing had been about wishing upon stars, those unreachable things beyond even the surface's surface, like a second ocean where the spirits themselves dwelled. A song to the stars wishes were called.

And without even thinking about out, the Dazzlings each began to sing the melody. They began to slowly move towards one another.

As the world remade itself to wishes in ponies' hearts, where five ponies stood, was now the beautiful Starsong Melody, the pegasus/flutterpony.

For seaponies, her name would mean, 'Wish Granted.'

But pride and arrogance and selfishness were not part of this new world. And without that pride and arrogance and selfishness, Starsong Melody hid her special talent. Until a fateful encounter with Pinkie Pie encouraged her to sing to her fellow ponies.

It was more wonderful than Starsong Melody could ever imagine. And something she never wanted to forget or take for granted.

And that gratefulness . . . would show its true colors the day the world ended. And Pinkie Pie, would remember her music friend, and carry on in her musical friend's name till the end of her days. The days her friend had bought her in her last act.

+++

Time rolled back. And in the attempt to reach heaven, the world of ponies went into Hell's waiting jaws.

The explosion was felt everywhere that ponies lived, death and destruction touched everywhere and everything. Zebra in their earliest records had a myth of a day that lasted a day and the night, and wind that tore their houses from their bases.

Civilization crumbled. Money became meaningless. The world had been blasted back to the feudal age.

Many ponies were left brain damaged creatures to be abandoned or cared for by their families. While many creatures that had been dumb beasts, were now self-aware, and began clawing their way up to become a people as the ponies fell around them.

For the Dazzlings, they weren't looking when the castle exploded. But they felt the shock wave as destruction pour out from seven specially chosen spots across the globe, the amount of magic released unlike any the world had ever seen or would again, but tainted by the mark of destruction, and yet random and unpredictable, neither cruel nor kind. It merely was.

The five had been underwater when it happened, but that didn't spare them. The underwater hotel that had been built exclusively for their people fell around them even as the harmonous chaotic magic tore through their bodies. The spell that had allowed them to turn into Flutterponies reacted with it, resulting in even more unstable magic ripping through their forms.

After the wave of destruction, the five ponies slowly rose to the surface, unconscious, along with several others of their kind. Slowly they came back to the waking world, looking at a sky that showed an indifferent sky with no pegasi nearby to guide it.

Strongest willed Adagio Dazzle woke up first, rising up from the water. She saw other seaponies hugging each other, some crying out in anguish, and some who just emptied themselves and floated along like seaweed. For some reason she couldn't help feeling they looked smaller than they should have.

She spotted Tempo Wave first . . . her eyes stared at the sky lifeless, her body's natural buoyancy was the only thing keeping her float, a wooden beam sticking out through her chest, the water around her body the wrong color.

Adagio whimpered and covered her mouth, trying not to vomit. Something felt odd about her fins. But she didn't care right now.

"Tempo? . . . You . . . you okay? . . . Say something?" She tried fruitlessly, she was just some after party nightmare right? But the pain around her body said otherwise. Tempo Wave's empty vessel merely floated in front of her.

"C-Come on...Oratorio, you know some first aid right?!...Oratorio?"

"Adagio . . . that . . .that you?" Oratorio Waltz voice coughed out. "What's going on? Who stole the sun?"

Adagio Dazzle turned to the source of voice . . . it was Oratorio Waltz, but it wasn't. One of her fins was much too large, and another ended in a half-fin, half-hoof, her once beautiful red mane was only a couple of strands on her head. Her eyes darted about, but they didn't see anything.

"It's . . . it's . . ." Adagio Dazzle shook her head, this was a disaster, how the buck did this happen?! This was all wrong! She noticed the water around Oratorio Waltz was the wrong color too, skin missing, and things floating that should never have floated on their own still connected to her. "It's nothing Oratorio. H-how are you feeling?"

Why. Why wasn't she crying for help?! But as she looked around, she saw a seapony with tentacle for fins screaming out as she swam about terrified at the sight of herself. And other seaponies equally a chaotic mess. She felt like her mind was trying to break, but she struggled to keep it together.

"I . . . I hurt all over."

"It . . . changing the world was really tiring, you should get some rest. You and Tempo."

"Oh . . . okay . . . hey, Adagio, we're the best aren't we?"

"The absolute best."

"No way anypony can take that away from us. We're the best there is we always will be."

"Couldn't have said it better myself."

"Good . . . nopony can . .. can take that away, we're unbeatable . . . I think, I'll take that nap now. See you later." What was left of Oratorio Waltz stopped moving.

Adagio was trembling. She swam back against a piece of wreckage, staring at the remains of her two sisters. Her mind tried to form words, but none came.

"Okay. Now this is sick."

"Aria?" Adagio turned, and struck in sheer reaction from the monster in front of her. Only then did she notice she hit the monster that she had hooves. Hooves? But she wasn't in Flutterpony form. Was she? She tried to use the spell, but something felt bent, awkward. Her eyes trailed down her legs, finding fins at her elbows. Was she stuck between forms? But there were a hundred safety measures against that!

She heard Sonata scream. She turned to see another monster, this one blue instead of red like the first, crying and scraping at herself. "King Leo! What is this?! This is crazy! Make it stop! Make it stop!"

"Tartarus, Adagio, Sonata, is that you? What the foam is this?!" The purple monster said in Aria Blaze's voice.

"Me? What are you . . ."

Adagio Dazzle looked down at the ocean's surface, her beautiful face did not look back at her.

A neck far too long. Fins far too big. Tail the completely wrong shape and again too long like some cheap porno drawing. A face that was some ugly mix between horse and pony. Sharp teeth set in mouth.

Adagio Dazzle's scream reached the heavens.

+++

Seaponies who did run from them screaming, and gave them a chance to introduce themselves, attacked the three sisters anyway. After all, they had helped bring about this terrible new world.

Having lost their beauty and two of their number meant absolutely nothing to the angry and hurt ponies desperate for somepony to pin their rage on. After all, Starlight was dead, it was hard to take revenge on a dead mare with no husband or children.

Finally, the trio had no choice but to swim away, thankful their new longer tails gave them a bit more speed to escape.

Adagio Dazzle hated her face being seen. It was hideous. Returning to Aquatria or their home town was only met with a lynch mob.

They met up with the Rockin' Beats on the shoreline at one point by pure luck. They had abandoned Melody for her leading the group in helping bring about the death of the world.

They found only minimal sympathy for their destroyed beauty and loss of Tempo Wave and
Oratorio Waltz. Sadly the world had little use for musicians now, and land ponies couldn't have cared less about their aquatic cousins now. Least of all a trio of 'mutant freaks'.

Still, Sonata Dusk was able to convince them quite gracefully with a few well placed lies that Melody was the one who had manipulated them too. It was for survival after all (something the trio had learned was all they could hope for at the moment). They needed allies. And from what the Beats had said, Melody was now a brain damaged mare, she'd never argue this story even if the Beats ever met her again.

For all intents and purpose the two groups were in the same boat, and settled down along the coast.

Aria Blaze and Sonata Dusk helped where they could. Aria put their new monstrous appearance to good use scaring off anypony who heard where they were and came seeking revenge, and Sonata caught fish. while Adagio Dazzle cried herself to sleep.

Her beauty, her fame, her sisters, her greatness, all stolen from her. She'd gone from the top of the world to the very bottom in a day. It was completely unfair! They had been worshipped, WORSHIPPED by the land ponies, they LOVED THEM, and now they were less than a bad memory!!! She'd lost everything!

But hearing about how Melody was a now a mute . . . clicked one thing in her mind. They still had their voices. It was a tiny consolation, but Adagio would take what she could get.

The mutated sea pony also couldn't help but feel a sense of being robbed at hearing Melody voice was gone. Her greatest rival, the only land pony she'd accept was on her level...and they'd never be able to prove who was better. Adagio told herself she was now undoubtedly the best in the world, but that thought felt hollow for some reason. She felt cheated. She'd never admit it, but a part of her missed Melody.

The castle that the five sisters had been near had been the 'main' castle, the one that existed at the heart of the seven, where the magic was at its strongest and most pure. Some even had called it the 'Castle of Magic' after the renovations had been finished. Now it was ruins of a tragedy. Their loving friends, their fans, had become enemies.

Aria Blaze complained first. That food wasn't filling them. That consumption happened, but they gained nothing from it. It was like they were eating styrofoam.

Sonata Dusk was too busy complaining about all the modern conveniences they had lost to notice at first. But the hunger was growing strong with her too. Feeling emptier and emptier inside. Adagio Dazzle broke out of her self pity and noticed it too at last.

That was when a pony that the Beats recognized as a friend showed up one day. A white-coated and rainbow-maned earth pony with the name of Logan.

Logan had asked what was going on with Melody and why she wasn't with them.

They told him.

"How could you?! You think Melody hasn't lost family and friends like all of you did?! And in case you forgot, none of you were FORCED to help her! All of you did this of your own choice! And she had no more idea this was going to happen than you!"

"That's all nice and noble to say," Sweet Notes snarled, whose face was destroyed, "But in case you forgot, it doesn't change that the world has gone to hell, and Melody was leading us all into its waiting jaws!"

"And you were a part of it! Just like the rest of us! Melody wasn't a scientist! Or a wizard! She didn't have anything to do with the spell itself! She wasn't part of it blowing up! You all just wanted somepony to blame!"

Sweet Notes punched him.

The sisters meanwhile, felt something odd. The emptiness was lessening as the land ponies bickered and fought with each other. Thinking back on it, they hadn't needed to eat for days after the chaos and misery they had awoken in the middle of after the disaster. Sonata was the one who noticed a green smoke floating around the land ponies only the sisters seemed to see begin snaking its way to them, into their bodies. It would have been hard to see in the chaotic ocean.

Logan eventually left, agreeing to disagree with the Beats, who told him that he was living in a fantasy world if he thought Starlight and her friends were somehow saints for bringing the world to this.

Logan said, "Blaming ponies at this point wouldn't change anything."

Aria Blaze was sorry to see him go . . . she didn't know why, but she knew she felt less empty since he arrived. And something about the way he had fought with the Beats had . . . excited her. Like when a shark smells blood.

One night to test a theory she had, Sonata asked the Beats what 'the Day' had been like for them. The reaction was as expected. They raged at the world...and the green smoke pooled again.

Adagio decided to join in and retold their own story in more detail. Aria thought perhaps Adagio let more of her emotions out than she would have otherwise, but hearing about what were now their friends' suffering increased their anger...and increased the amount of the green smoke that flowed to them.

And all three sisters noticed. They repeated the routine for several nights, but the Beats eventually got tired of being asked and recounting their miseries. And there appeared to be a diminishing return, going over the same hate, anger, misery, aggression, and violence over and over.

Then a gang of roaming ponies had come, seeking revenge on anypony related to the wish spell, having nothing left, and able to rally others around them for protection and numbers with this simple cry for revenge. They were not deterred as the others by Aria simply scaring them away. They'd come ready and aware of a 'sea monster'.

The revenge gang also had come prepared to fish out the 'beasts' in case they tried to swim away too, knowing their own connection to the accused Melody.

The large gang's wrath became practically a celebration, a festival, trying to see who could do the most horrible thing to which ponies. Half-Note. Tuneful. Sweet Notes. Pretty Beat. They cried out in pain and misery for each other, and rage at the world for Melody's reputation dragging them into this hell. The fine green mist, became a flash fog.

The trio had no idea what to do as the closest things they'd had to friends since this disaster started were now victims of a lynch mob. Why was the world so cruel? Was the only way to survive to have more power than those around them?

It all came to a head when one of the gang members attempted to stab Aria with a pitch fork...the fork snapped on her scales. The trio knew this wasn't normal, they'd been injured before. Other mobs had done just that with mere rocks. Something had changed.

And for Adagio Dazzle in that moment, it happened, she transformed. The flutterpony spell, or some warped version of it, took place, and in a twisted flash, her body became something much closer resembling a land pony, with a pair of wings not-quite-unlike the flutterponies, shaped almost like her fins instead. She looked at the mob with a look in her eyes that made the few who saw her at that moment's blood run cold.

And on pure instinct, she sang. Her vocal less octaves entering the brains of the mob and the Beats alike.

"You can hear it now can't you?
I can hear it too.
The icy wind of hate.
Maybe in the end this is just my fate.
But maybe in the end.
Who needs friends?!

I understand now!
I am whole now!
I am what I am, and that's all that I am!

I see into your eyes,
All the world you do despise!

Hear my voice!
Not that you really have a choice!!!

My heart is as hard and sharp as diamond!
I am no sea or flutterpony! I am a siren!!!

Give me all your hate.
It is far too late!"

Aria looked like a flash of clarity came to her, and she transformed as well, her wings being the same fin-like membranes her sister's were. They sang together.

"It doesn't matter what you bet,
It-is-too-late-for-regrets!

We are are all beasts,
But I am no lion!
I am a siren!

At last I understand.
Everything at hand.

I get everything at last.
Isn't this a blast?

Don't bother asking 'is that Charon?'
I am a siren!"

Finally Sonata transformed as well, her wings spreading behind her and singing with her sisters.

"Let out all your sins,
Underneath your skin.
Shed our skin like a snake,
If we want, we'll take!

We had it all,
The world was our ball.

The world gave us the sack,
and now we want it back.

This isn't about survival,
This is our new revival!

Pluck you like fruit as they ripen,
I am a siren!

Let everypony know from here to the horizon,
I am a siren!

I am a siren!"

The Beats and the revenge mob alike feel to their knees, eyes trapped by the witches as they floated above the ponies. Their negativity flowed like water out of them into the sirens' gullets.

And in their heart of hearts, Adagio Dazzle, Aria Blaze, and Sonata Dusk, felt no regrets.

Adagio looked over the Beats who the revenge mob had inflicted things upon that Adagio's brain refused to process. "...The world took everything away…" A sideways grin formed on her face as she turned and looked at those captured by their song. "I think It's about time we started taking it back! Hehe...hehe...HAHAHAHAHAHA!"

+++

The island was surrounded by cliffs and rocks, and from and outsider view it appeared to hold nothing of value, no treasure, no natural resources, from an outside view.

Aria Blaze casually commented one day that she noticed that they didn't seem to be aging, even as their slaves grew old and worn out around them.

Everypony had learned the form of the three seamonsters who caused ponies to fight among themselves, and ultimately stole their minds. But very few ponies knew the shape of three beautiful Flutterponies who'd enter town one day, and the violence and fighting that would erupt, reason thrown out the window, and the three would feed, taking those they favored with them to their most private estate hidden from outside view and surrounded by a plethora of natural defenses.

Most of the time however, they'd simply lured sailor off course, letting their ships be destroyed on the rocks as the crew fought among themselves, and taking the remaining crew as theirs.

Their most successful method were promises of living with what the world had lost, and an escape from the Tartarus the world now was. Adagio discovered their magic needed some desire or want in their target to act upon. Thankfully, the destroyed world had plenty for ponies to want. And thankfully feelings of discontent the Sirens fed on were among the easiest to stir up.

The inside was set up much like a classical hotel during the Age of Wonders, with conveniences that had long since become hard pressed or impossible to find elsewhere.

Sonata complained to Aria regularly about the amount of slave power it took to turn the generator (after they ran out of gasoline) so Aria could power her DVD player. She currently had two. The other three had broken down, and the last pony alive who knew had to fix them professionally had died of old age centuries ago.

Sonata fiddled with them when she was bored, maybe she could fix them herself even though she had never really studied electronics or mechanics. The blue Siren also harbored resentment towards Adagio for being the 'big fish' among them. But her sister was always stronger than her, and while not as smart, was far more clever.

The Beats had, while still kept under the Siren's spell, been allowed to more or less do whatever they wanted, freed from morality or regret. The former revenge mob now their personal servants. But eventually they died, and all that remained were the sirens and their slaves.

Racial tensions kept increasing between the tribes. The tensions reached point where the Flutterponies and their seaponies cousins secluded themselves from the world once again.

The sirens barely noticed, their king had banished them centuries ago (all they did was make their fellow seaponies who had tried to pin the blame of the end of the world on them fight each other in a blood-thirsty frenzy and feed on their negativity, it was just payback. And maybe they tried to declare their home settlement their own personal city state, well, less a city state, and more their private buffet. A pony needs to eat after all.)

The flutterponies practically imploded back into Fluttervalley so Rosedust might keep their tribe in order.

King Leo and his seaponies after the disaster barely held a semblance of order and society underneath the waves, so many seaponies mutated into new and strange forms and not sure what to do with themselves or what they even were anymore.

But all seaponies noticed that where the sirens went, violence and strife flared.

Aria Blaze wondered if mothers in the schools now told their children about how the 'sirens would come and get them' if they didn't brush their teeth before bed.

But as racial tensions rose, the sirens were drawn away from Sirenum scopuli with their remaining slaves, abandoning it and taking with them their items of value. Like blood in the water, the sharks came.

As communication broke down, and society reverted back to the middle ages, and technology and the like slowly became myth and forgotten, the sirens no longer had anything to fear.

Each corner of the world was isolated from each other, none would know what was going on over the next mountain. And so the sirens staked their claim. One place was as good as another, but Adagio picked the small 'land' of Anthemoessa, because she liked the flowers, and promptly renamed it Anthemusa on a whim.

The sirens took this place as their own, ponies caught in a never ending cycle of fighting each other and adoring the sirens who didn't even really lead or rule, they simply owned them. Their song was unending. As was their feeding on the negativity they enticed from the ponies around them.

As a test of control, Sonata used their power to convince them to burn down a church.

It was a never ending concert. The sirens almost felt like the old days when there were five of them before the cheering crowds. In the brightest of moments, Adagio could nearly forget that Tempo and Oratorio were not alongside her. They had everything, and the crowds worshipping them for filling their shallow lives.

Then the Windigos came.

With their hot bed of negativity they lorded over, the sirens were nearly at the top of the list of the winter spirits. Fragments of Entropy that converted hatred into cold, the Siren's own power was turned against them.

The coven of sea witches were frozen, trapped in ice and left to slowly die a chilling death deep in the mountains.

Except they didn't. With the racial hatred in the world, and the negativity they had stockpiled, the sirens remained. And their power continued to grow.

Adagio Dazzle realized it, "We are, immortal!"

That might not have been a good thing. The ice created in response to hatred, responded to the negativity stored within the sirens, no longer needed the Windigos. The Sirens' power itself continued to feed their prison, even as hatred so thick it was carried on the winds continued to feed them.

+++

After the Windigos were defeated by the Fires of Friendship, ponies had proven that they could damage the essence of one of the four fundamental laws of the universe. And so the draconequi moved to eliminate this threat to the universe, while the Alicorns moved to protect innocent lives. And desperate times called for desperate measures.

So Morning Star, the fallen Alicorn, was briefly released back into the universe.

Though the coven of three sea-witches had no idea he even existed, Morning Star's was still the concept of beauty, trickery, perfection, evil, and the crushing of free will.

He looked down upon these three sirens, and he did chose them, to champion his design for creation, and so were blessed by him. Now they carried his mark of approval.

He didn't care if they were technically his targets in this war, he was perfection, his choice could not be wrong.

+++

Trapped in their dark ice prisons, yet fully aware, the sirens tried to shatter the ice simply with their song, but if anything the ice seemed to feed off their music. By manipulating the vibrations, they could communicate however. With the negativity that had become like the blood in their veins, the coven of witches could vaguely sense the happenings of the world where the negativity was at its strongest.

The three chose to put their power to practical use and had a piece of dark ice formed between them. Channeling what magic they could, they made it function like a crystal ball, letting them see the many events around Ponyland where the negativity that fueled their life-force flowed.

The three observed, discussed and planned. They had nothing better to do other than squabble over what 'channel' to watch on 'Negativity TV.'

"But I want to see if General Hurricane and Princess Platinum get together!" Aria complained.

"Ah shut it!" Her sisters echoed in their prisons.

That their prison remained in place even after the Windigos were destroyed was a sore point for the sirens who ranted and raved inside their prison for weeks. Aria looked like she was ready to explode. Adagio and Sonata were sorry she didn't, the explosion would have likely freed the two of them.

The three saw the founding of Equestria, and with it, the fading away from the negativity that kept them alive in their prison. Adagio wasn't sure if this was a good or bad thing. But they had built up much, and they had little to spend their power even on.

And it was like things had come full cycle, the siren watched silently in awe as ghosts as the flutterponies and the seaponies once again came forth to resume their friendship with the land ponies. And once again, before their eyes, progress began to be came again. Sonata admittedly took a bit of pride in the fact they were the only ones with this view. An exclusive front row seat to the entire history of the world.

But at the same time, the history of the Age of Wonders, and the Age of Myths, had become regarded as fantasy rather than fact. Adagio would have torn her mane out if she could at some of the historical inaccuracies she had been there to perform at they were writing down!

Even the seaponies had forgotten much of their own history!

And progress marched forward as time that was lost was made up.

"Can't they hurry up and reinvent TV already?!" Aria complained.

"I'd settle for the tape recorder," Adagio said.

They also witnessed the horrid birth of the race that could have been seen as their business rivals, and the transformation of Princess Crystal into the first changeling queen and her subjects the first changelings, all because of a prince unable to take no for an answer and a dragon who knew a plump kingdom when it saw it.

"At least the unrest and chaos that little potion threw the kingdom into was tasty," Adagio remarked. "Best meal we've had in ages."

But then the rise of Discord came. While the three agreed he was ugly, stupid, childish, small minded, no vision, no sense of style, and an awful singer (Adagio wished this thing came with a mute button), the chaos, disharmony, anger, and conflict he spread was delicious. They really wished he would leave the borders of Equestria sometime already. They could just imagine how much more power and magic they could consume if he was closer. In fact, they dared dream they could become strong enough to topple him and claim the world for their own. Adagio happily pointed out they wouldn't need their magic to be adored if they managed that.

"Where's the fun that?" Aria responded.

But everything had another side, and all the progress Ponyland, er, Equestria had made since the end of the Windigos was undone with Discord's rampage, and ponies knocked back down again.

When Discord . . . when Discord began to . . . began to exterminate the flutterponies . . . the sirens actually gave pause . . . Their beauty and grace would never touch the sky again. Except for the three of them. Sans Queen Rosedust herself, they were truly the last now.

The sirens didn't admit it vocally, but a part of them did go...cold when Discord drove their race into extinction. Was it loneliness? Grief? A feeling of survivor's guilt? Or simply a strange feeling only those who are the last of their kind experience?

"All the more reason for us to be immortal," said Adagio. "We're now the last sea ponies. It's our right to keep our tribe alive, isn't it?"

All three couldn't admit it was a badge of honor none of them wanted.

But all bad things must come to an end, and the garish Discord's delicious grip on Equestria ended, at the hooves of two freak ponies with wings and horns, and their pet fire-bird and a WINDIGO, what the Tartarus? And there was what was apparently Discord's mother who betrayed him at the last moment.

Then the two heroes used their new toys. Six jewels that turned Discord to a statue. The loser would have to get some elongated speech in wouldn't he?

"What a ham, he can't even get turned to stone quietly," Adagio complained.

Then right out of a video game, all of Equestria was made all sunshine and rainbows again, and the two heroes were made princesses of Equestria in what felt like a day.

"I'd have gone for Queen," Adagio said, and her sisters agreed.

But they all noticed something important was missing, something so natural it takes you a minute to notice it's even gone.

It only took the sirens a short time to realize the truth. With Discord gone, and the new Princesses on the throne with their new jewelry, the massive amounts of negativity the that had sustained the sirens were no more. Even compared to when Equestria was founded, it was no longer strong enough to let them see the happenings of the world, and it was no longer strong enough for them to absorb at a distance.

The three were now alone, blind, and deaf to everywhere, trapped with each other.

Adagio hadn't felt so helpless in so long, even compared to when they were first imprisoned in the dark ice by the windigos. They had risen up, and now had crashed back down. Again. Always rising up and crashing down. It seemed a recurring theme.

"I don't wanna die," Aria whispered first.

"We're not going to!" Adagio hissed.

"If you've been holding out on an escape plan for a special occasion I'd love to hear it," Sonatao said sharply.

Aria snorted. "And then what? Hide in some corner of the world and hope the two new pretty princesses don't notice us? Maybe hide in some cave at the bottom of the ocean and wait for them to die of old age?"

"No. We're going to fight back."

"WHAT?!" The two said together.

"Every song had its beat, and its instrument. What Discord's mom had? And the new toys of the mix-match-ponies? They had the same rhythm, but King-Ugly's mom only had one string of the song with her, the two mares had six. Which means there's more to it. Remember that googleplex of negativity that mare tried to beat Discord with and failed? He got that string of music he gave to his mother from that! That means the rest of the song is still up for grabs! And after that? The world can't take everything from us again if it's our world."

"Nice speech sis', but we're still stuck, like we've been since forever," Aria said.

"For several thousand years If I'm not mistaken," Sonata remarked, being the only one who had bothered to try keeping count. "What's going to change that now?"

"If we can't come to the mountain, we'll get the mountain to come to us."

"And how do we do THAT?"

"Simple, everything has the right bait. And we're fishers of ponies."

"Adagio, that pun was painful," Aria said.

"You'll change your tune when this works . . . or I won't have to listen to you telling me I was wrong."

"Adagio, what are you doing?!"

"It may takes a good long while, but let's give these ponies something they won't miss!"

Directly feeding her magic into it, the black ice began to grow and reach upwards.

"Locked away for so long
A feeling growing so strong
A need blooms in my heart
Let doors begin to part.

The wide world is waiting
It's ours for the taking
Oh it's time to wake up
Let the world be our cup.

Locked away for so long
A feeling growing so strong
Let liberation start
Let doors begin to part!

Author's Note:

"Gotta please the crowds, well, more like the crowds pleases us. That's the secret ya know? We're not really here to perform for them, they're here to perform for us!" - Aria Blaze