• Published 1st Oct 2014
  • 14,700 Views, 1,484 Comments

This Game of Mine - Swan Song



Beset by the pressures of her coming-of-age, Sweetie Belle has secretly been turning to video games for relief from her insecurities. But when her unparalleled gaming talent earns her a cutie mark she never asked for, her life is thrown upside-down.

  • ...
46
 1,484
 14,700

10. Super Good Advice

Reality is the most ruthless analyst.
Born of Sight   



S I L V E R   S P O O N

Luggage.

Upon arriving at my home, the first item of significance to enter my awareness was a veritable mountain of luggage standing just within our front gate. A sporadic trail of servants was weaving its way to and fro, ferrying more pieces to add to the growing pile.

Among that herd was my head servant, Mirror Sheen, who spotted me from the corner of his eye. After a few curt instructions to his lessers, he broke from his station and swiftly approached to receive me.

“Welcome home, Lady Silver,” he greeted with a sweeping bow, genial as always. “I trust your day went well?”

“A subject best avoided,” I responded impassively as I made towards the door, unconcerned with the servants flocking about. “Yours, on the other hoof, looked rather eventful.”

“All too present to be past tense,” he quipped, glancing momentarily behind him. “Much of today was spent coordinating Madame Sterling’s travel itinerary, but there’s still plenty of packing left to do, and other logistics to organize.”

Travel itinerary? “I wasn’t aware mother was planning another trip.”

“Indeed, to Hoofington. She has seen fit to directly oversee the mining operations there, in hopes that they can raise output to meet the rising demands of the Equestrian Defense Forces.”

“I see.”

I shouldn’t have been surprised. Mother was always disappearing for days or even weeks on end for some work reason or another, often leaving my sister and I behind at home. Though it was certainly unusual for her to not have at least informed me of the circumstances surrounding her trip—after all, she had been rather intent on instructing me in the management of the family metalworking empire, for whenever I was due to inherit the business.

Perhaps it was to be discussed over dinner. Which prompted the question…

“Will mother be joining us for supper tonight?” I asked my servant, ascending the stairs to my front door

“Madame Sterling made it very clear that we were to finish as many of our tasks as we could prior to sundown,” he explained as he held the door open for me, “so that she could spend the remainder of the evening with you and your sister prior to her departure.”

A story as likely as it was the myriad other times she told it.

“Very well.” I stepped over the threshold with a heavy sigh. “I suppose I’ll be retreating to my quarters ’til then.”

“Of course, Lady Silver. We shall summon you when dinner has been readied.”

If it is ever readied.

No matter. This was just another piece of unwelcome news in an already very unwelcome day.

But, at the very least, I had a distraction.


It only took a few moments for me to find Dovetail and Stranger, standing beside each other by the courtyard balcony overlooking the City. Dovetail leaned over the railing, while Stranger had a hoof on her shoulder. Neither uttered a word, simply gazing off into the distance as the sun began to set over the horizon.

Something seemed off.

“Hey,” I said, making my presence known, which caused Dovetail to visibly twitch. She did not turn to face me—though Stranger did.

“Good evening,” said the mare with a subtle bow of her head.

“Where’s everypony else?” I asked, glancing around for any sign of the others.

“Zaid and Freya are currently on an expedition to the Valhallan Wastes,” she explained. “Dovetail and I elected to stay behind, and Mash retired for the evening. Unfortunately, I shall be doing the same in a few moments.”

“This early? That’s unusual. You usually stay until around nightfall.”

“I do, yes,” she said with a nod, before turning to Dovetail, who was pointedly ignoring the conversation. “But, well… extenuating circumstances would suggest I withdraw early.”

I could do without the unnecessary vagaries. “Extenuating circumstances?”

“Dovetail's had an… interesting evening,” Stranger continued. “And I believe she’ll need your help to parse her thoughts, Shadow.”

Wonderful. Though Stranger seemed to be doing much to assuage whatever was troubling the filly, an agitated Dovetail was rarely a good sign.

“Will you be alright?” Stranger asked the filly in a motherly tone.

“Meh,” Dovetail meh’d.

The older mare glanced back at me with a helpless shrug, before giving Dovetail a reassuring nudge. “You’ll work things out soon, my little pony. Talk with Shadow. He’ll be far better-equipped to settle your nerves on the matter than I.”

Oh, yes, you’re certainly more than welcome to volunteer my time without my consent. It wasn’t as if I had logged on to seek respite from my own frustrations or anything of the sort. No, I most certainly expected to be spending my free time offering a comforting shoulder to a filly whose emotional range was more unpredictable than a yak prince’s.

Not that I would say that out loud, of course.

“She’s right, Dovetail,” I said softly, my masculine timbre cutting through the din of the Tower’s ambiance. “I’m here if you need anything.”

Stranger smiled, then stepped back with a bow of her head. “Then I shall be taking my leave. I hope she will be in good hooves with you.”

“She will be. Good evening.”

“Good evening.”

With a burst of ghostly static, Stranger transmatted away, leaving me alone with Dovetail on the balcony. Silently, I trotted up beside her and threw my forelegs over the railing, staring out towards the vast urban sprawl of the City before us.

No words were exchanged for nearly half a minute, which was not uncommon between us. Over the past few months, Dovetail and I had gotten comfortable enough with each other’s presence that even a dead silence wasn’t awkward or offensive.

Still, I idly wondered what had her so agitated. And, judging by her silence, she did not seem keen on telling me.

My eyes wandered to Dovetail, whose gaze never strayed from the sunset. As I stared down at the smaller pony, I found myself taking stock in how differently we had approached our characters.

Here was I, a tall, dark-skinned umbra stallion with an imposing muscular build and rather exotic features that exuded an air of otherworldly strength, only barely kept in check. I had even gone through the trouble of changing my voice, with the assistance of the Archmage, to a gruff, masculine purr, one that would far better suit a hypothetical "Prince" Luna—her Grace forgive the analogy—than it would myself.

In all, there was absolutely no resemblance between the filly Silver Spoon and the stallion Shadow Song. I was the complete inverse of my in-game counterpart in almost every conceivable way.

On the other hand, Sweetie Belle’s character was much closer to her own self. Though Dovetail was subtly more lithe—eschewing her creator’s modestly shapely curves in favor of a more limber athletic figure—she still maintained a petite build that wasn’t all that bigger than the filly in reality. Similarly, her coat was a pristine white—not quite the muted gray of Sweetie Belle’s own, or even that of her sister’s, but close.

The resemblances ended there. She had curiously elected to create an earth pony—no horn interrupted the frazzled mess that was her mane, its dual yellow-and-crimson tones a far cry from the filly’s gentle, flowing shades of pink. And all of this was accentuated by brilliant blue irises, sharp and intense as lightning.

While I would have described Sweetie Belle as having a soft, inoffensive, cutesy appearance… Dovetail was undeniably fierce.

…Yet, despite that dichotomy, there were enough similarities that anypony familiar with the filly could barely mistake Dovetail for anypony else. The two identities were likely a mere perm-and-dye job away from being a natural evolution of each other.

Such a curious design for a character had set my mind abuzz, speculating over what could have informed all of those decisions, and I found myself wondering if there was an answer to be found in the depths of those vibrant blue eyes.

Which were currently staring back at me, eyebrows raised.

“Something on my face?” she spoke, for the first time all evening.

My expression did not falter. “No, Dovetail. Your face is fine.”

“Why were you staring so hard?” It was clear I had set her at unease.

“Your character has an interesting design,” I answered honestly. “I was noticing your mane’s resemblance to one of the Wonderbolts.”

“Spitfire?”

“Yes. Though your colors are more vivid than hers.”

“Yeah, hers is more like an out-of-control wildfire,” she said, turning back to the view while idly hoofing at an errant strand of mane. “Or maybe like a sunset.”

“An apt comparison.”

The silence returned as swiftly as it had left, and she seemed no closer to revealing what had her so on edge. In fact, her demeanor was surprisingly relaxed… if her idly pawing at my leathery wings was any indicator.

“You have an interesting character too,” the filly remarked as she did so. “Are you actually an umbra?”

I gave the webbed appendages a ruffle. “No.”

“That’s what I thought,” she said, turning back to the sunset. “Umbrae are rare in Equestria, so that would be a long shot in the dark.”

“Yeah.”

“What made you pick an umbra?”

“They’re mysterious.”

“That’s all?”

“Fierce. Cunning. Resourceful. Stealthy.”

“Hm. You know, that might not actually be true of umbrae. Maybe that’s just how they look.”

I shrugged. “Maybe.”

“Heh.” She chuckled a bit, then turned to me with a grin. “I’ll bet they’re all super-cheerful party animals. Like Pinkie Pie!”

That was a rather… specific comparison. “Pinkie Pie?”

Her eyes twitched for a moment, before she let out a dismissive laugh. “Heh, uh, sorry. One of my sister’s friends. You probably don’t know her.”

“I… see.”

“So have you ever met an umbra before?”

“Yes. Once.”

“Really? How?”

“Princess Luna visited my hometown several years back. She had a small complement of umbra as her personal security detail.”

“Oh hey, I remember that!” she exclaimed, perking up with an expectant look. “It was that one time she came by for Nightmare Night, right?”

…That was twice now that she had said something overly-familiar. Yes, Nightmare Night was precisely the reason why the Princess had been in Ponyville, but Sweetie Belle couldn’t possibly have known we were referencing the same event… or that I had even been in Ponyville to witness it.

“It had not been around that time of year, so I don’t believe it was for Nightmare Night,” I lied easily, making a show of raising my eyebrows.

“Oh, I see,” she said casually, as if her curiosity had been sated. In fact, I would have believed it myself… had it not been for that subtle twitch of her eye.

If it wasn’t clear before, it was now: she was manipulating me, phrasing her sentences to goad me into providing a specific answer. And that time, she hadn’t gotten the answer she wanted.

I had no idea what she was trying to do, nor what she wanted to ask, nor what it had to do with her strange behavior, or even why any of this mattered. But this was my game. And I fully intended to beat her at it.

“Those are rather specific circumstances,” I remarked, highlighting the cause of my confusion.

A moment of pause as she considered my words. “Yeah, I guess they were. The only time I’ve ever really met her was when she visited Ponyville for Nightmare Night, so I assumed…”

An assumption? No, more like a shoddy attempt at an excuse. “She’s a Princess, Dovetail. She likely has duties to attend to all over the nation. It doesn’t always have to be about festivities.”

“Yeah, good point,” she said with a sigh. “So what was her visit about, then?”

I could devise a story, but if it had any holes… better to stay on the safe side.

“Their visit didn’t concern me, so I wasn’t privy to the specifics,” I explained as vaguely as I could.

A raised eyebrow. “You don’t sound very excited about it.”

“The affairs of politicians do not particularly concern me.”

Widened eyes. “Politicians? They’re not just politicians, they’re the Princesses! They run the entire country! They’re the highest law in the land! They control the sun and moon!”

“And how, exactly, is that relevant to me?” I rebutted. “I appreciate the Princesses and what they do for us and our nation, but their business is their own, and I’m not involved in it.”

“But— but it’s the Princesses!” she sputtered. “They’re— I just— you didn’t even wanna meet them or say hi?!”

“The last thing they need when they’re trying to get things done is a crowd of adoring fans trying to catch their attention.”

She blinked at that. “I… yeah, I guess that makes sense.” She looked as though she were contemplating something. “Did it maybe have something to do with the city itself? Maybe she was meeting with the mayor. Where was this all taking—“

She froze, as if she had said something she hadn’t intended to.

Unfortunately for her, that made her intentions abundantly clear.

“Dovetail,” I growled as the pieces began falling into place, “why are you trying to figure out where I live?”

Her pupils shrunk, panic overcoming her features. “I, er, I’m not—“

“I see what you’re trying to do,” I snapped. “And that last line made it clear as day. You want to know where I’m from, and you’ve been twisting your questions in hopes that I would let it slip.”

Her ears flattened. She tried to speak, but no words came out—I had hit the nail on the head.

But that wasn’t enough. I needed to know why. Which meant a little guilt-tripping was in order.

“I thought we had reached a certain understanding,” I groused. “You know very well that I value my privacy, and I figured you would have enough sense to respect that. Apparently I was wrong.”

“That’s— that’s not true, Shadow!” she stammered, leaping forward. “I’m sorry, I just wanted to— I mean—”

I whirled on her, hoping to impress the full force of my character’s imposing physique. “Wanted. To. What?”

She gulped visibly, but said nothing. I decided now was the time for answers.

“Dovetail, you’ve been acting strange all evening, and it’s starting to frustrate me that you won’t just be straight about it. Something obviously happened before I logged on, and it’s clear that Stranger is in on it too. Why did she say that I was the only one who could help you deal with the situation? And how in all the Stars does where I live have anything to do with it?”

A pause. A nervous scratch of the hoof. Then, slowly, her features relaxed.

“Promise me you won’t be mad?” she asked.

So it was something that would make me mad. Good to know. “I’m afraid I can make no such promise, Dovetail.”

Her features visibly strained. Nonetheless, she took a deep breath, and began to explain.

“A mare named Prosperity contacted us about an hour ago. She said she was a developer for Eternity. She’s throwing some kind of event in Manehattan tomorrow. An Eternity party, with a big tournament. And she really, really wanted us to attend.”

A tournament? How very curious. “By us, I assume you mean Sanctuary?”

“Yeah. Obviously Zaid and Freya can't, since they live outside of the country, and Stranger already said she won’t able to attend either, for… her own reasons. So that leaves just me, you, and Mash. Since you weren’t online, she wanted me to extend the invitation to you on her behalf. All expenses paid, including train tickets. She sent three to the addresses that we gave the company when we registered for Eternity. Miss Ditzy Doo will be delivering them to our doorsteps tomorrow morning.”

“Miss Ditzy Doo,” I deadpanned.

She nodded.

Our doorsteps.”

Another nod.

…Oh dear.

Dovetail wasn’t trying to figure out my hometown.

She already knew.

“This mare told you I lived in Ponyville,” I hissed, “didn’t she.”

“…Yeah.”

Wonderful. Just wonderful.

I heaved a great sigh, staring out towards the distant sun as it finally set over the horizon.

“Dovetail, under normal circumstances, I wouldn’t be mad,” I began to explain. “But this? All these mental gymnastics, just to get me to admit that I live in Ponyville? Why didn’t you just tell me that she let it slip? I wouldn’t have blamed you for it.”

“I don’t know!” she admitted, clearly apologetic. “I guess I just wanted to get you to admit it yourself, so you could reveal that information on your own terms.”

“Trying to trick me into admitting it isn’t exactly what I’d call ‘on my own terms’, Dovetail.”

“I know, and I’m sorry,” she implored, before averting her gaze to the floor. “I guess… I guess part of me just wished that you would.”

A moment of silence…

“I mean… to think,” she continued, clear hesitation in her voice, “that you lived in Ponyville, all this time?”

“And on top of that, you didn’t trust me enough to tell me…?”

Oh dear.

“That’s not it at all,” I tried to reassure her.

“Then what is it?” she suddenly snapped, rounding on me, her expression pained.

“My reasons are my own—”

“And you can’t trust me with them?!” she cried, tears welling up in her eyes. “Shadow, I thought you were my friend!”

“I am—!”

“THEN WHO ARE YOU?!”

Her roar was deafening, echoing across the Tower courtyard and causing several heads to turn.

I barely noticed. She had asked the question that I thought I’d never have to answer.

“Dovetail, listen,” I began, quickly raising a privacy bubble around us to deter prying ears. “Who I am doesn’t matter—“

“Yes it does!” she shouted, now weeping openly and pointing a shaking hoof straight at me. “How could you say something so inconsiderate?! Do you realize what this means for me?”

“Look, it’s not—“

“All this time, you told me you wanted me to respect your privacy, and I did!” she sobbed, her tone a mixture of confusion and rage. “Yet, without my knowing, I haven’t had any this whole time! You know exactly who I am, because I don’t hide any of it, and Button says my real name like ten times a day! We live in the same town! You've probably met me, and I had no idea! Do you see what’s wrong with this picture? Do you see why this is a problem?!”

“Dovetail, I do, but—“

“I have absolutely no clue who you are, and yet you could be anyone in my life!

At that last utterance, I found myself at a loss for words. All I could do was stare into her tear-stained, electric blue eyes, which bore into my own with a ferocious intensity that felt as though it were piercing through all of my lies, my secrets, every deception, every misdirection.

Everything I had worked to maintain was falling apart. And I couldn’t think of anything to say that could fix it.

“I’ve told you things about myself that I would never tell anyone else,” she whispered, her voice hollow, “because I had no idea that you could be somepony I knew. You could be the cashier at Barnyard Bargains. Or a guardsmare working at the station. Or a weatherpony on the weather team. I could be walking past you every day, and I wouldn’t even know…”

Suddenly, her face went pale.

“What if my parents were right?” she whispered, shaking with fear. “What if you’re… you’re a ped—“

No.

She froze.

“Dovetail,” I said, stepping forward; she shied back instantly, eyes alight with panic. “I promise you, by the Grace of all the Sun and Stars in the sky, I am not that.”

A few moments passed as she digested my assertion, undoubtedly trying to evaluate it for truthfulness. Eventually, she looked up, and her gaze had steeled.

“Then what are you?”

“I…”

I didn’t know.

For once in my life, I didn’t know.

My life was one I lived with intent. Everything had a purpose, a reason, a goal. There was always an end result in sight, one I could pursue with a clear plan in mind. And I was always, always in control.

But this? This was a problem I had not a single clue how to solve, and the mere notion left me paralyzed with indecision.

When I first joined this game, it was to infiltrate Sweetie Belle’s life, to vex her in one of the few sanctuaries she believed safe. Over time, it evolved into an opportunity to become familiar with the filly, perhaps discover things that I could one day employ against her.

And had she revealed oh so very much to me. Guilt over her struggles in school. Anxiety over her graduation. Admiration towards her sister. Jealousy towards her talented friends and their certainty over their futures. Even the barest slivers of doubt about her romantic prospects, to which she swore having never spoken about to anypony else in her life.

I had yet to use any of it. The time had never been right, and as the months passed, I had wondered if there would ever be a right time.

So what was there left to do? I couldn’t maintain this relationship, at least not with my anonymity intact. The status quo had been irreparably damaged, and Sweetie Belle would never trust me the same way again, no matter what I tried.

…Was there even a point to trying? I had learned all I needed, more than I ever expected, and this relationship could bear no further fruits. I could quit the game, abandon my secret identity, and return to my normal life. Was there anything left that I could even hope to achieve by maintaining appearances?

No matter how many times I asked the question, in all its countless permutations… my mind supplied a blank.

Yet, somewhere in its deepest, darkest recesses… there was something curious. A nagging urge to try and salvage the relationship, in any way possible. It seemed ambivalent to the apparent lack of an outcome that could benefit me.

No.

There was a purpose. There was intent. There was a piece of myself on the line.

My pride.

Sweetie Belle may be the better gamer. But this? This was my game.

“Shadow…?” implored Dovetail, drawing my attention once more. “Shadow, please… say something. Anything.”

I let out a heavy sigh, then locked eyes with her.

“What do you want me to say?”

“I…” she jawed for a few moments, her tone filled with uncertainty. “I… I don’t know. I just want answers. Why did you do this? What do you want from me?” She visibly shuddered. “Are you going to… hurt me?”

“Absolutely not, Dovetail,” I declared with finality, hoping that my tone would brook no argument. “Whatever you may think of me now, whomever you might imagine me to be, I can assure you that you are in no danger of physical harm.”

“If not, then why?” she pleaded, with manic eyes. “How much do you know about me? Do you know where I live?”

“Yes. You’re Sweetie Belle, a schoolfilly that lives in a boutique not far from the city center, and owned by your sister, Miss Rarity. I’ve been inside on several occasions.”

She gulped. “…How far away do you live?”

“Not far. I’m a few districts over.”

Her eyes widened hopefully. “Are you one of my friends?”

“No.”

They shrank instantly. “Then how am I supposed to trust you? How do I know you’ll keep your word?”

“I… suppose you can’t,” I admitted. “But if it means anything, I never, ever intended to approach you, much less hurt you. I never planned to introduce myself, reveal who I was, or do anything to compromise my identity. As far as I’m concerned, you’re just a filly that I play games with online, and occasionally see trotting around during my day-to-day. I would have been perfectly satisfied with living the rest of my life apart from yours.”

“I… I see,” she said. Slowly, she recovered her composure. “…Why?”

“...It’s complicated.”

“Well, we have all night,” she persisted. “And… I think you owe me some answers. I’ve told you a lot of things about myself, things that nopony else knows, yet sometimes it feels like I’m pulling my teeth with you. The absolute least you could do is throw me a bone.”

“I…”

“Please, Shadow,” she implored. “You want my trust, and I’m trying really, really hard to give it to you. But trust is a two-way street. I can’t trust you if you won’t trust me.”

A memory surged forth, unbidden. A library. Strands of purple mane. A whispered reassurance.

A partial truth was still the truth, right?

“I… just didn’t want anypony to know I played video games,” I admitted. “I didn’t want there to be any link between myself and others who might reveal this secret.”

“I… I see,” she said. “But… you know you can trust me, right?”

“Yes, Dovetail, I know, and I do. But not with this. This is just too risky. I could lose everything if anypony ever found out, and it’s easier just knowing for absolute certain that nopony knows. Not even you.”

She blinked, then glanced down at her hooves again. A few tense moments passed as she pondered my admission.

“I… guess I can understand that,” she finally said. “After all, I’ve been there. Heh… though you probably already knew that.”

“…Yes.”

“Why is it such a problem for you though?” she asked. “You’re a stallion. I don’t think ponies would care.”

A fair point. “I’m in a position where any single piece of dirt, no matter how supposedly trivial, could tarnish my reputation forever.”

“…I see.” She did not seem convinced.

“And, keep in mind,” I said cautiously, hoping that this next admission would be enough to regain her good graces without revealing too much, “that your sex in this game is optional.”

She froze, and her face scrunched up in confusion. “…W-wait. Does that mean you’re a mare?”

“Not… necessarily,” I answered vaguely, dangling the tantalizing morsel before her. “I make no admission either way. I’d… rather nopony knew.”

She blinked several times, processing the answer, and her countenance softened immeasurably as she did so. No doubt the mere notion that I was potentially a mare had done wonders to dissuade her fears.

There may have been a line in the sand between us, Miss Belle, but clearly some things were universal, no matter which side you stood upon.

“…Okay. I… I guess I understand,” she finally replied.

“Thank you. Is that enough to sate your curiosity?”

“…I don’t know. Maybe?” She shrugged. “I guess it’ll have to do…”

‘For now,’ were the unspoken words undoubtedly left to wither on her tongue.

“Very well.”

As she looked off into the distance, I breathed an internal sigh of relief at having averted yet another disaster… by the skin of my teeth, at that. I certainly wasn’t out of the woods yet. No doubt this would come up again, and I would have to find a way to prepare for—

“So, uh… I guess that means you’re not coming after all, are you.”

Hm? Coming? “Pardon?”

“The tournament. In Manehattan.”

Ah. I had almost forgotten the point of this conversation.

“I’m afraid not,” I said with a helpless shrug.

“Heh, figured…” A half-hearted chuckle. “Not gonna lie, when Miss Prosperity told me you lived in Ponyville and asked if I could forward the invitation, I was really… really hoping you’d say yes.”

I spared her a vaguely apologetic smile. “Sorry to disappoint, Dovetail.”

“It’s fine, I guess. Button’s almost definitely going, so at least I won’t be alone.”

“Almost definitely?”

“He has to ask his mom first, since he’s not thirteen yet,” she said. “But I’m pretty sure she’s gonna say yes. Hay, she might even go. She loves this sorta stuff.”

“She sounds very supportive of her son.”

“She is. She’s a wonderful mother.” Dovetail gazed off, her expression going soft. “Kind, caring… a bit loony, if I were being honest. But always encouraging him to live his dreams, no matter what. Always there for him.”

Were it so that own mother could be nearly as ever-present.

“I wish my own mom were like that.”

…That voice had decidedly not been mine.

I turned to stare at the filly who had so immaculately, unknowingly, echoed my own thoughts. She returned my look with a helpless, wistful little smile, a subtle shimmering in her eyes hinting at some deeper grief she left unspoken.

I barely had time to think on my own response before it left my mouth.

“As do I.”

Her eyes widened, but before she could speak, she suddenly halted, her head turning sideways as her focus snapped to something in the distance. “Er, hi sis, what’s up?”

…Ah. Her sister Miss Rarity had seized her attention. Well then.

“Really? They’re inviting us to dinner? Now? What for?” A momentary pause, then a nervous titter. “Heh, uhh, yeaaaaaah, I was gonna talk to you about that later tonight… No sis, I promise I wasn’t planning on going without asking you first, I’m not demented.” Oh, but I’d argue that. “…Oh haha, very funny.” Clearly, I wasn’t not alone. Brava, Miss Rarity. “…Yeah, I’ll explain everything at dinner… Okay, just call me down when you’re ready.”

She turned back to me with a sheepish smile. “Uhh, sorry about that…”

“I’m assuming that was your sister?”

“Yeah. She just got a summons from Button’s mom, inviting us over for dinner.”

“Speak of the devil,” I mused. “What’s the occasion?”

“Well, somepony told his mom about the trip, and so she invited us over to discuss our ‘mutual’ plans to go to Manehattan.”

“That sounds… awfully definitive. I thought you were still considering?”

“I am!” she huffed angrily. “That… ugh, that blockhead just decided to take the initiative, I guess!”

“As impulsive in real life as he appears to be here, I see.”

“No kidding. I’m surprised you haven’t already known that about him, actually.” She appraised me slowly. “I mean… you have seen him around before, right?”

And here I hoped we had evaded this topic.

“...Yes, but only on rare occasions,” I lied.

“Oh. I see…”

An awkward silence befell us again. Somehow I was not surprised.

Looking to avoid the awkwardness, I glanced upwards towards the sky, which was only just beginning its transition to night as the stars blossomed to life, one by one. Distantly I wondered who controlled them in this world, if the Princess of the Night was long gone—

Knock knock.


“Er, one moment.” I quickly muted my headset before calling to the door. “Who is it?”

“Lady Silver?” came the voice of my steward from beyond the door of my room. “Dinner is ready.”

“Ah, thank you!” I called back to him. “I’ll be down in a moment!”

“What’s up?” came a voice from my headset, and I glanced back at the stratoscreen, which showed Dovetail with her head cocked to the side in curiosity. “Were you talking to somepony else?”

“Yes, my st— I mean, yes, I was,” I spoke quickly into the mouthpiece. “I’m afraid I have to go. I’ll talk to you later, alright Dovetail?”

“…Okay,” she replied, her voice clearly laced with disappointment. “See you later.”

“See you.”

Standing up and taking off my headset, I tapped the front of the Hoofbox. The stratoscreen, and Dovetail’s crestfallen face, faded from view.

That was not a clean departure. I had undoubtedly left her hanging, possibly with dozens of questions on her tongue, and a mind filled with uncertainties.

But I had done all I could to assuage her fears and settle her nerves. There was nothing left for me to do… for now.

With a heavy sigh, I stood up and trotted towards the door. On the bright side, at least now I could spend time with my mother.


So much for that.

I set down my fork with a sigh and gave my food an irritable stare… though I suppose that was unfair. After all, it wasn’t my ratatouille’s fault that I couldn’t enjoy dinner with my family.

No, that dubious honor went to the rankling gaggle of servants, accountants, and scribes hovering behind my mother like a swarm of parasprites as she coordinated various logistics over her own untouched plate.

“And ensure that the new foremare is made keenly aware of our overtime pay policies such that everypony gets paid their dues,” she dictated to the scribe, who was frantically scribbling notes. “The last thing we need is a repeat of the strike caused by her dimwitted predecessor—production cannot stall for even a single day.”

“Yes, Madame Sterling!”

Lost in her own world, I disregarded her and instead glanced across the table at my elder sister. A sour expression adorned Quicksilver’s face as she toyed absentmindedly with a piece of diced zucchini speared upon her fork.

Despite our rather lukewarm relationship, I couldn’t help but share a moment of silent solidarity with Quicksilver. After all, we were both particularly miffed at mother’s current state of preoccupation, especially during the last supper we would share on the eve of her departure.

Of course, I said nothing. My sister, however, was far more transparent—she gave a dramatic sigh, accompanied by a roll of her eyes that could have rivaled the Sun’s orbit.

That seemed to catch mother’s attention.

“Oh dear, do forgive me,” she replied with a wave of her hoof across the various scrolls that decorated her end of the table. “There’s simply ever so much left to handle before I take my leave. I’ll be gone for quite some time, after all.”

“That’s the problem,” replied Quicksilver sullenly. “It’ll be two months before we see you again.”

“Honey, I know,” she placated, quickly glancing around. “Let me just— ah, Goldberg! That expenditures report I asked for this afternoon?”

“Just leave mother be for now,” I muttered towards my sister as mother was once again absorbed into her logistics. “She has enough on her plate already.”

“She hasn’t even touched her plate,” my sister grunted in reply.

“Business is as business will be,” I said with a sigh.

“Easy for the heir to say,” she hissed indignantly. “You must be gobbling all this business up.”

“Don’t be absurd, Quicksilver. I want to enjoy dinner with mother just as much as you do.”

“You seem to be enjoying it just fine.”

No, sister, I was just very good at making it seem like I enjoyed it.

Not that I would ever say that out loud, of course. It was my discretion that made me the favored heir, after all.

“I am merely patient, is all,” I replied simply, having grown far too used to deflecting my sister’s jealousy to care.

“Hmph.” Apparently said jealousy was not enough to stir her further, and she returned to her meal.

As we polished off the remainder of our food, the number of ponies behind my mother began to dwindle, until eventually our Head Servant was all that remained.

“…is packed away and ready for the carriage,” said Mirror Sheen with a curt nod, his composed demeanor a far cry from the din of those who had come before. “All that remains is to await your escort.”

“Excellent,” replied mother cordially. "Thank you."

With that, Mirror Sheen politely bowed and stepped away to finish the remainder of the preparations, and mother sat back with a relaxed sigh.

"All is well?" I asked.

"As well as it can be," she breathed with a sigh. “As wonderful as it is to get these sudden opportunities, it certainly isn’t easy to take advantage of them.”

“This one seems to have come out of nowhere.”

“Indeed,” she said with a nod. “Apparently, several arms and armaments suppliers across the country have renewed their production contracts with the Equestrian Defense Forces.”

“So demand for metal is rising?”

“By staggering amounts,” she confirmed with a nod. “Over sixty-four hundred percent.”

…Impossible. “That much? How large is the order?”

“I’m not completely certain, since the manufacturers aren’t revealing the particulars about their contracts with the EDF,” she admitted, “but based on the tonnage requests of Aegis Tactical, I’m estimating an order large enough to make over fifty thousand sets.”

“That’s… that’s insane,” muttered Quicksilver.

“And even that figure isn’t accurate,” continued mother. “Mere hours before the sudden spike in demand, Aegis announced a new range of body shields, which they claimed could be made with just under half as many resources as their standard-issue plate-and-chain.”

“So we could be looking at even more than fifty thousand?” I asked.

“Perhaps even past a hundred thousand.”

Stars above. A swath of contract renewals, a spike in metal demand, a new range of economical armor…

The conclusion was obvious.

“Negotiations with the gryphons aren’t going very well,” I said gravely, “are they.”

“To say the least,” my mother replied, heaving a large sigh. “And I expect we’ll be seeing a huge recruitment spree across Equestria in the next few months.”

An image of the bedraggled but smiling Archmage came unbidden to my mind, and I distantly wondered where she was and how she was doing.

“Where will you be going?” asked Quicksilver, her tone laced with concern. “Not closer to Gryphos, I hope?”

“Hoofington,” mother replied tersely, “so yes, right up against the border.”

Quicksilver paled, and I felt a chill run down my spine. “Why so close to the front?”

“You’ve heard of the surge of immigrants coming in from Dimondia to Hoofington?”

Ah. “So, a swath of cheap canine labor is flooding Hoofington, and you’re looking to employ.”

“Essentially, yes. That, and they work very fast.”

She was certainly taking a great many risks to capitalize on this opportunity.

“…That logic is sound,” I admitted with a nod… though it did not quell my uneasiness. “With that many opportunities coalescing at once, it would be silly not to cash in.”

“Yes,” quipped Quicksilver sarcastically, “almost as silly as relocating nearer to the border of a hostile nation.”

I felt myself wince—not from the bluntness of her statement, but the silent agreement I felt in my heart.

“Oh, honey,” my mother placated, giving my sister a weak smile, “it won’t be so bad—“

“You said it yourself, mother!” she shouted, suddenly rising from her chair. “Negotiations are failing! We’re on the brink of war! And you think now, of all times, is a good opportunity to expand operations near Gryphos?!

“Quicksie, dear, I know, but this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportuni—!“

“So you’re gonna go get yourself killed for a bit of money?!” she retorted in fury. “Look around you! We have enough! We don’t need to lose our lives over more!

Enough, Quicksilver!” I declared, slamming a hoof on the table. “We have our nation’s top diplomats looking to settle our differences between ourselves and the gryphons, and even if things get bad, mother will have plenty of time to retreat from Hoofington if the situation escalates—“

“Why am I not surprised you’re completely in favor of this?!” she snapped, whirling on me with an angry glare. “In fact, why don’t you just go with her! It’s obvious what the ponies in this family care more about!”

“What is that supposed to mean?!” I shouted back at her. “I’m just as concerned for mother’s safety as you—“

“You’re not convincing anypony, heir.”

Oh Stars no, she did not just go there.

“Quicksilver,” I warned, “don’t you even dare imply that—“

“Fine, I WON’T!” she roared, knocking back her chair. “It’s obvious my opinion means nothing! See if I care if you go and get yourselves killed!

Without another word, she whirled around and stormed out of sight. We could hear her booming hoofsteps on the floor above, shortly followed by the loud SLAM! of her bedroom door.

As an uncomfortable silence befell the dining hall, I slowly turned to my mother, who was staring at my sister’s vacant seat, her body quivering. Quickly, I made my way around the dining table and put a comforting hoof on her shoulder. “Pay Quicksilver no mind, mother. She’s just scared for you, that’s all.”

“…So am I,” she whispered.

That… was not a response I expected. “If you’re scared, then do you truly have to go?”

“I… of course I do,” she said with a sniffle. “I just wish your sister would understand…”

“She’s just letting her fear get to her,” I assured her, even if my own mind was uncertain. “I’m sure the war won’t happen.”

Mother fixed me with a grave stare. “Silver, don’t be naïve. Both of us know that the possibility of war is very real.”

“Then perhaps it’s unwise to depart for Hoofington,” I remarked. “Quicksilver is right. Your well-being isn’t worth whatever money we could make.”

She sighed. “Silver... this isn’t about money.”

“Then what is it about?”

“Duty,” she declared with finality.

Duty? “To whom? Equestria?”

“To you and your sister.”

To us? “I… don’t understand.” Was this about money, still? We were perfectly well-off.

“Silver, look at it this way,” she said, putting her hooves on my shoulders. “If the gryphons attack, who will stand between them and the two most important ponies in my life?”

The answers began work themselves out in my mind. “…The Equestrian army.”

“Right. And what do they need to help defend you?”

“Weapons and armor,” I answered, already knowing where this was going.

“Exactly. We supply the lion’s share of the materials needed to produce said armaments, and the Dimondian immigrants in Hoofington are the best prospectors and miners in the land—securing their labor will be a huge force multiplier to our output.”

“I… suppose I can understand that,” I said with a nod. “But if money isn’t a concern, then why does it have to be us? Why not leave it to another company?”

“Oh Silver, you and I know the answer to that already,” she said with a haughty smirk. “Perhaps this comes from a place of pride, but by my evaluation, we’re the only mining company that has the infrastructure and resources to accommodate such a huge influx of workers with minimal overhead. It has to be us, and nopony else.”

She was right. Not only was the Silversmith Mining Company the fastest-growing organization of its kind, it maintained said momentum by being an exemplar of corporate efficiency, a well-oiled machine designed from the ground up to easily expand operations at a moment’s notice. No doubt that, were any other company to try their hand at such a massive undertaking, their output would be hamstrung by organizational inefficiencies, or they would run out of capital and simply collapse under the weight.

Though it did little to ease my worries, it all made sense. Mother was simply looking out for us in the best way she could.

“…Okay,” I said finally. “I understand.”

“Thank you, Silver.” She wrapped her arms around me. “I knew you would… my dear daughter…”

It mattered not how logical her reasoning was, or that I was perfectly capable of caring for myself; I still didn’t want her to go. I curled my face against the warmth of my mother’s coat, felt the beating of her heart, the gentle rhythms of her breathing, as I shared what would be the last moment I’d have with her for a long time.

“Madame Sterling?” came a voice from the doorway; we both looked up and met eyes with Mirror Sheen, who remained carefully neutral. “The escort has arrived, and your carriage is prepared to depart. It leaves at your convenience…” He nodded towards me. “…and that of the young Miss.”

“Thank you, Sheen. I will be but a moment.”

She turned back to me, smiling sadly as she stroked a piece of mane from my face with a hoof.

“Oh, don’t be dramatic, mother,” I chided with a soft giggle—partially to stave off the ache in my own heart.

“Sorry,” she said, chuckling lightly herself.

Another sigh, another few moments, and she finally broke contact.

“Well, I suppose I shan’t tarry if I want to make it to Hoofington in a timely manner.” We trotted towards the front door, held open by Mirror Sheen.

She paused as she stepped over the threshold, her gaze drifting to the ceiling—no doubt towards where the brooding Quicksilver lay just beyond. “I don’t want to just leave her, with things like this…”

“She’ll come around,” I said, giving her a gentle nudge. “I’ll try to talk to Quicksilver. Don’t worry about her.”

“Thank you, Silver Spoon.” We trotted outside—Luna’s night had fallen across the land, the sky a cascade of glittering lights—and made our way towards the carriage waiting just outside the door. “I swear, that girl makes me wonder who the older sister really is, sometimes.”

“We both have our moments,” I said with a shrug. “The important thing is that we’ll come together when it counts.”

“And I’m glad that you two can look after each other while I’m gone.”

“Always.” I stepped back as she boarded the carriage. “Safe journeys, mother.”

“Goodbye, Silver Spoon.” She spared one last smile towards me before the door shut. With that, the carriage departed down the street and out of sight, the echo of its wheels clattering upon the cobblestone growing fainter and fainter until it too was drowned out by the ambience of the Ponyvillean night.

I turned back to the house, where Mirror Sheen was standing beside the front door, patiently holding it open for me.

Beyond the threshold was pitch-black emptiness, and somewhere beyond that blackness was my sister.

With a sigh, I trotted up. But as I crossed the threshold, I turned to look at Sheen.

“I’m glad you’re still here, at least.”

“Always ready to serve, Lady Silver,” he replied, cordial and professional as ever.

At least the inside was noticeably brighter than it looked from the yard.


My hoof hovered over the door to Quicksilver's room, which had thus far lain silent.

Perhaps now was not the right time. No doubt my sister was still rather raw -- mother had only just departed an hour ago, after all.

Still... I wanted to talk it over with her. I honestly couldn't stand the thought of her brooding, especially not if mother was simply trying to look after us in the only way she knew how.

...That, and I didn't want to have to deal with a hellion for the remainder of mother's absence. Better I defuse the situation now before she could have a chance to stew in her anger any longer.

Hesitantly, I tapped twice on the door.

"Quicksilver?"

No response.

“Quicksilver, are you awake?"

"Piss off, Spoon."

...Well then.

"Your attitude is entirely unnecessary, sister. I merely wish to speak with you."

"And I don't want a damn thing to do with you right now."

"Well, we're going to be stuck with nothing but each other for an entire weekend," I reasoned, "so perhaps it'd be best if--"

WHAM.

The door flew open, revealing the furious visage of my sister -- her mane was in total disarray, and her eyes were ringed with dried tears.

"You wanna know what I think would be best?" she growled.

I huffed. "Well, I doubt I'm going to hear a reasonable suggestion with that sort of tone--"

"You should have just gone and gotten yourself killed with mother."

I flinched, but quickly regained my composure. "Quicksilver, I'm just as worried as you are for mother's safety. but you know just as well as I do that she is in practically no danger."

"No danger? No danger?! She's going to Hoofington! That's, like, ten meters away from the damn border! The gryphons are close enough that they could probably level the city in seconds--"

"They could level half our nation in seconds if they wanted to, no matter where we were. It's not like they just roll their missiles over the border. She's no safer here than she would be in Hoofington."

"That's chickenshit and you know it, Spoon."

"Why in Sun's name would I have any reason to lie about mother's prospects--"

"Do you think I'm stupid? It's obvious you just want her to get herself killed so you can inherit the family estate."

...

"You know," I muttered darkly, "when you had spoken earlier at dinner tonight, I was a bit hesitant to believe the implication behind your words. I thought that even you couldn't reach such a ridiculous conclusion."

"Hah! You call it ridiculous, yet here we are!" She extended her forelegs in mock grandeur. "Silver Spoon, poised to inherit the Silver Mining Company at any cost!"

"That is utterly ridiculous and you know it! I make no lie about hoping to succeed mother, but I would never wish ill on her to achieve that end!"

"Of course you would! You're just a greedy little shit who cares for nothing except how much money she can get her grubby hooves on!"

"And you're just jealous that you can't be the heir! Perhaps if you were as responsible as I, mother would have given it to you instead!"

"Hah! Good thing I'm not as selfish and egotistical as you, otherwise I might actually give a damn!"

"It's hard to imagine a vindictive little hellion like you giving a damn about anything worthwhile to begin with!"

"At least I give a damn about mother!"

"So do I!"

"Then you would have stopped her from going!"

"Neither of us could have stopped her from going and you know it!"

"YOU could have, 'cause you're her favorite, but you didn't, 'cause--"

"ENOUGH, Quicksilver!" I slammed a hoof into the doorframe with a loud THUD. "We are arguing in circles! You can levy the same baseless assertions against me ad nauseam for the remainder of eternity, but it changes nothing! Mother is gone, and there's nothing we can do about it! But at least ONE of us here cared enough to try!"

"I tried at dinner!"

"No sister, you shrieked in her face and tried to make me out as a scapegoat! I actually SPOKE with her, gave her a chance to explain herself, and--"

"She explained enough at dinner for me to know that she didn't need to go."

"And I learned otherwise, Quicksilver. She's trying to keep us safe!"

"Safe?! What part of getting herself killed will keep us safe? How stupid do you think I am, to accept such an asinine explanation?!"

"Obviously, the more metal she can sell to the--"

"Sell! SELL! If this is the half-assed 'excuse' that you'll be able to come up with, then I don't want to hear it! Get out of my sight!"

"Quicksilver--"

"OUT! Just GO! GET OUT!

"FINE! Maybe I will! Maybe I'll just take a trip to Manehattan for all you care! Better than dealing with your insufferable attitude for the next two months!"

"Fine!" she shouted. "Good riddance! Maybe I can get some semblance of peace with you gone!"

"Fine!"

"FINE!"

Without a second thought, she whirled around and kicked the door, slamming it shut in my--

OW!

"Quicksilver, you hit my nose!"

"FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC!"

Rubbing my smarting muzzle, I stomped towards my room, wondering to myself why I had even bothered to try with that infuriating girl.

"Lady Silver?"

I stopped and turned to face the head servant, who stood on the staircase. With a deep breath, I steadied my tone.

"I'm assuming you overheard that."

"I'd wager most of the district did."

Hah. Impossible. Our land was too wide for our voices to carry to another household.

"Well, do give the rest of the staff my apologies. I certainly hadn't intended to expose them to... well... whatever that was."

"I belief a 'tiff' would be an accurate description," he suggested.

"A tiff it is, then."

"Very good, Lady Silver." He gave a curt bow, and we resumed the walk to my room. "Shall I make arrangements for a trip to Manehattan?"

What? "No! No, that's quite alright, Sheen. That was just a... well, 'joke' doesn't seem to be quite the right word..."

"Perhaps 'bluff'?" he supplied.

"Something to that effect, I suppose."

I stared out a nearby window. The courtyard lay bare, as did the streets beyond -- a gentle downpour had begun in the last few minutes or so, coating the roads with a shimmer that reflected the light of the gas lamps in the street.

"If you may permit my curiosity...?"

"Go ahead."

"Any reason why Manehattan? You've never expressed interest in the city before, and the company doesn't have any branches in that part of Equestria."

I supposed that there was no real reason to hide the truth.

"I was invited," I explained, resuming my walk. "A... friend of mine is holding a social get-together, of sorts."

"And are you considering attending?"

"Stars, no. It's a rather brutish affair."

"Ah. A shame," said Mirror Sheen. "I imagine a trip to Manehattan would certainly be a welcome respite from what appears to have been a rather tumultuous week for you."

"Indeed it would be..." I replied absentmindedly.

"And that, as Lady Quicksilver bears no ill will towards me -- for the moment -- I would be more than equipped to keep her company over the weekend."

I turned to him, brow quirked. "Sheen, are you trying to get me to take this trip?"

He gave a knowing smile and a curt nod. "Certainly, Lady Silver. I feel it would be most beneficial to your emotional well-being, as well as that of Lady Quicksilver."

Hm. He had a point. Quicksilver was, for the time being, volatile -- some distance could do us good. And I had to admit that I could use some space from Ponyville, the Crusaders, and everything else that had transpired over the last several days.

Of course, attending the event would essentially mean revealing myself to Sweetie Belle.

...But then again, I didn't NEED to attend the event. Perhaps I could simply take a trip to Manehattan, trot around the city, see the sights. After all, I had never traveled alone before, and now that I was of age, it was well within my ability to do so. The opportunity was ripe.

Perhaps I could even take Diamond Tiara.

With a smile, I turned to the head servant. His eyes widened slightly, but not enough to break his calm demeanor — though I did notice the corner of his mouth curl upwards ever-so-slightly.

I grinned in response.

"Sheen… I believe I shall be making this trip after all."


Author's Note:

Thanks to Zaid ValRoa and Sharp Quill for editing.