• Published 30th Sep 2014
  • 17,496 Views, 1,209 Comments

Just Roll With It - sunnypack



Ever had your Dad marry a mythical creature? Ever just wanted a normal life? If this is you and you're not me, then this is exactly what we don't want, right?

  • ...
86
 1,209
 17,496

8 - Overload

Chapter 8: Overload

It took me a while to gently extricate myself from the woefully apologetic children-err-foals. In the process I was blinded by Celestia a couple of times when she claimed she was trying to use a ‘healing spell’ on me. She nearly poked out my eye from the way her horn tip just kept getting closer and closer to my face. I was just glad that the excessive thumping and noise hadn’t woken up Discord. Then again, we both played pretty hard so I hope he’s sleeping like a log.

Meanwhile, I gently pointed out that my injuries were getting worse and it would probably be better if I treated them soon.

I couldn’t bring myself to scold or lecture them because their intentions weren’t malicious and also because they did that thing with their eyes and mouths that sort of freezes your heart and required roughly two thousand volts to start again.

…I might need to invest in an ICD.

I managed to treat my burns, which were pretty superficial, under cold running water. I pinched my bleeding nose with some gauze I found in the medicine cabinet within the bathroom. My voice was a mite nasally but other than that I was fine and there weren’t any serious injuries. The girls kept apologising profusely even though I said it was okay.

“Sowwy!” I heard again. I looked up to see Luna’s mouth quivering.

“It’s alright Luna, and that goes for all of you," I extended, taking in the wilting forms of Celestia and Cadance.

I sighed, then smiled.

“I didn’t think you three would be back so fast, so I haven’t really prepared anything," I explained, moving over to the pantry and rooting around for some snacks. There were just crackers and jars of peanut butter. We needed to restock soon, or I would be eaten out of our supply by children.

I took out the crackers and the peanut butter anyway.

Luna’s ears perked up adorably when she saw the peanut butter.

She heaved herself up onto a chair and flopped onto the table, waving her hooves in the air.

“Yay, uhm, pea-nut butter!” She cooed happily as I pushed the jar towards her.

“Don’t eat it straight out of the jar," I warned as Luna froze guiltily halfway, her hoof almost in the jar. She withdrew the hoof and placed her head on the table.

“Okay," she mumbled miserably as Celestia and Cadance clambered onto the chair with her. It was a tight fit but they clung on, keeping close to each other. I quickly shifted another chair so they wouldn't fall off.

I hummed to myself as I moved about the kitchen, finding cheese in the fridge and an assortment of lettuce, carrots, tomatoes and cucumbers. Some of the cucumbers were starting to go off, so I chucked them away, washing and cutting the rest.

The three little foals shared the crackers between themselves, occasionally helping themselves to peanut butter. After some chopping and slicing, shaking and dicing, I served salad. Usually I’d throw in pasta but I was feeling a little lazy and more than a little exhausted. Also, since the last experiment incident with my Dad, there was no pasta in the pantry anyway. Don’t ask.

I served up four bowls of salad and placed a fork next to each one.

The girls stared at the forks and then at the food and then back at the forks. Then they just dove into their food using their hooves and their mouths.

I shrugged, to each their own. Maybe Tempora could tell me how to feed her children, later.

As the three girls continued to happily munch away, I excused myself to quickly check on Discord.

He’s your responsibility. I thought to myself, echoing Tempora’s words.

I approached the door to my room, taking note of the scratches in the wood. I smiled, they never failed to cheer me up. You may think it was strange but I once had a massive fight with my Dad about Mom. Crazy, I know. We were holed up in my room with creatures from another realm trying to seek passage into our last bastion, our gazes fixed on the incessant scratching and screeching coming from the other side.

——

This morning my Dad had locked himself in the basement all day, only to burst out of it with tentacled abominations chasing after him. After a moment’s hesitation, I leapt into my room with him and locked the door.

We had a heart-to-heart in the middle of a crisis.

“Son," my Dad began, as I searched around the room for weapons to use.

“Not now Dad, we’re kinda in the middle of fighting for our lives," I replied testily, I tossed a baseball bat at my Dad.

“Thanks. Listen I really need to say this, in case we don’t make it," he spoke urgently, quite uncharacteristically, too.

“I don’t want to know right now, and you need to get your priorities straight!” I hissed back, rummaging for some sort of pole or something to swing. I glanced at my curtains, eh, good enough.

“Son, really, listen," he growled, placing his hands on my shoulders and spinning me around to face him. He relaxed his grip.

“Look, I’m really, really, sorry about the way I handled that, uhm, conversation we had before.” He stared at the ground, shifting uncomfortably. “You know I’m not the best with, uhm, talking.”

He laughed suddenly.

“You’re much better than me at that. I think you get it from your mother," he said, patting me on the shoulders.

I sighed.

Can’t pick your family.

“Okay, Dad," I replied, giving him a small smile. “Can we talk about this later when we’ve gotten rid of your latest experiment?”

My Dad grinned at me stupidly. I yanked my curtain rod and held it at the ready.

“It’s Father-Son Bonding Time!” He yelled opening the door and smacking the first thing that stood out there.

“Oww!” The abomination yelped.

What?

“Aww you guys are mean, we’re going back," the assorted tentacled masses sulked and started slithering away. My Dad was frozen for a moment and then dropped the baseball bat.

“Hey! Wait! I’m sorry! My name is Dr. Maximilian-" Was all I heard from my Dad as he disappeared down the hallway to chase down the apparently intelligent creatures.

I sighed and dropped my curtain rod with a thud. Typical day at my house.

——

I gently opened the door to my room, peeking in.

Seeing the chaos of my room completely undisturbed, I smiled, approaching Discord while he slept. The draconequus was curled up with his tail in front of his snout and his small body rose and fell with every soft breath he pulled. Discord had kicked off the bedsheets I had tucked him in with so I gently shifted them back.

He awoke with a start.

“Har-mon-y," he croaked, groggily.

“Shh-shh," I cooed, laying a gentle hand on his head. “It’s alright, just making sure you don’t get cold, sleep now.”

“Thanks," I heard him barely mutter. “I don’t… like… being cold…”

I sat on the side of the bed, stroking his mane until he fell soundly asleep again. Perhaps one day I will find out what happened to his parents. If they were alive, they better have an excuse to match the Universe, because nothing within it would stop me from making it an unpleasant encounter.

I left Discord on the bed and headed back down to the girls. They were playing some sort of three way hand-err-hoof game. Nearing the bottom of the stairs, I approached quietly, not wishing to disturb their play.

“Okay Cadance, your turn," Celestia chirped, handing a small pebble to Cadance. I saw Cadance’s tongue protrude slightly as she sat down and centred the pebble on her hoof. She took a moment to compose herself before she launched into a small song, tossing the pebble into the air from one hoof to the other.

There once was stone, big and round,
Grew up in the mountains, oh so bound!
Then one day,
It knew the way,
Down and down,
To the ground.
Came to a stop,
In front of a shop!
A kind, kind mare,
Took it in her lair,
And that’s where this has come from!

With the last word Cadance threw the pebble high in the air and did a roll before catching it in her hooves again. She grinned ecstatically as Celestia and Luna stamped their hooves in approval.

When Luna took the pebble she looked doubtful.

“I don’t think I can beat that," Luna mumbled, looking at the small, round stone. Cadance and Celestia both gave words of encouragement, urging Luna to try.

With a smile, Luna began the small game. Singing the same rhyme before throwing the pebble into the air. This time though, she reached up, balancing on her hind hooves before catching it, almost falling backwards in the process.

Cadance and Celestia stomped their hooves again and I realised it was some sort of applause. Ah, the aim of the game was to show off with a trick and catch the pebble before it hit the ground. A clever game to improve hoof-eye coordination. It was a good thing the pebble was small but I didn’t know where these three would have gotten it from… I looked to the front door. Somehow they’ve gotten it open. Oh well, I did take some time to check on Discord but these girls wander about like roaming wolves.

“Hey, I’m back," I announced as the girls whipped around and smiled.

“HARMONY!” They all yelled as I clutched my ears.

“Okay," I chuckled as they darted forward to hug my legs. I bent down to give them all a good mane tussle.

I consulted my watch for the time. It read 6:34 AM. I peeked at a window. The sun was beginning to set. I sighed. Well so much for that. I wonder if any pony had a clock system similar to ours that I could synchronise to.

“It’s getting late, girls so I’m going to head to the castle and maybe find our parents and ask them if they need any help. Do you three want to come?”

“Okay!”

“Yes!”

“Uhuh!”

“Right!” I exclaimed, scooping them up. Luna clambered to my shoulders again. “Let’s have an adventure!”

Author's Note:

Usually I get chapters out much faster than this. Daily, as well. I was too busy with my birthday party, unfortunately. It was my first time getting drunk and suffice to say I did not enjoy the experience at all. That said, this would probably have a knock on effect of my writing not being up to par (on top of me being a beginner writer as well).

I don't have pre-readers or editors so I think I need some, if anyone wants to volunteer, send me a message! This might cause another delay to set up, alternatively, if everyone thinks my writing is okay I don't mind continuing without one. Also, if you spot any mistakes I will correct them, lickedy split as soon as I get your message.

Also, I forgot to mention (if you haven't already figured out) I live in Australia so I follow Australian English for my stories, apologies to any other English-speaking counterparts out there if anything has been confused.

And I love the delicious pandemonium about Harmony's name. Surely a girls name for a guy?! What is this?! Oh, you'll find out later... maybe.

I'd like to thank everyone personally, if you're still reading this, for the support and likes and favourites and comments! I'm completely flabbergasted seeing my feed inundated with a flood of notifications that I can frankly say has made my day! Thank you all for this! Everyone is just simply amazing.

I do take story ideas as well but I can't promise to implement them fast. (It took me about three weeks and all the while juggling another one of my stories).

As to the length of this story, I am now currently undecided. I like to give people an idea on how long my stories will be so they have some idea of what to expect. Perhaps ~100k? I don't know, sorry.

Next Chapter: Coke and mentos in the kitchen. The castle is flooded. WHY?!

As always, my vigilant and stunning readers, thanks for reading!

P.S. Since there's some comment sin the comments section about Harmony's watch. It's reading wrong. Harmony needs to fix his watch, it's almost twelve hours out of sync.