• Published 30th Sep 2014
  • 17,500 Views, 1,209 Comments

Just Roll With It - sunnypack



Ever had your Dad marry a mythical creature? Ever just wanted a normal life? If this is you and you're not me, then this is exactly what we don't want, right?

  • ...
86
 1,209
 17,500

26 - You

Chapter 26: You

The circumstances of my educational enrolment were a little complicated. To put it simply, I was enrolled in two different schools. The first one, for magic, involved me turning into a youngish colt and attending a fairly prestigious magical school. The second, which I enjoyed to a slightly lesser degree, was learning all the things I would have learned if I was back on Earth.

So it was mathematics, science (at least whatever science level they were at, it seemed to be based on inherently different things, so I stuck with the wide array of textbooks that my Dad kept in his room), history (bleh), philosophy (which I found strangely interesting), politics (bleh, something I wouldn’t pick for anything) and economics/finance (which consisted of a lot of tax codes and land boundaries and tithes). Overall, I would have found the material more interesting if it were relatable, or you know, shown to me practically. They obviously didn’t believe in the modern education system so I was stuck mostly with the tutor at my personal study desk. At least I had my own study desk.

The tutor was a young mare by the name of Study Point (by far one of the strangest names I’ve heard in a while), she was strict but fair. Often she would walk in and begin the lessons straightaway. I tried to warm her with smalltalk but she stubbornly refused to break the respectful professionalism that she carried with her.

Over time, I simply gave up and worked on the material. One thing that I had gotten better with—by far—was the use of the quill. I was so used to ballpoint pens that my first attempts were disastrous. Splayed tips, flicked ink that splattered my hands, splotches and the ever-present hooded gaze as Study Point oversaw my work.

Right now I was a passable pony. I might not have all the mannerisms right, but at least I can do some of the gestures and I can walk properly. You don’t want to know how many times I’ve fallen down stairs. Just… you don’t.

Study Point was amazingly helpful when it came to odd pieces of information. Initially, she told me that she hadn’t expected to become a tutor. She wanted to be a librarian. Librarian would be a great job I would think. Reshelving books, reading strange books and having all the time in the world to relax in peace and quiet. Don’t get me wrong, I love playing around with Discord, Celestia and Luna, but sometimes I needed the quiet, you know?

I told Study Point that one day she’d become the librarian. Uncharacteristically Study Point muttered that the librarian would have to die first before she’d get a chance. Seeing me raise my eyebrows at that, she said the ‘old badger’ was too dedicated to his life’s work and wouldn’t let anyone replace him or assist him. I told her I’d probably be able to speak to someone about that, but she shook her head. She firmly rejected that notion. She would do it herself, she had said. Otherwise it would defeat the whole purpose.

For some reason her words bothered me for the rest of the day… I don’t know why.

–––––

Back to school.

Usually I would dread that notion. School for me was intensely boring. I could see my friends, which was excellent, but the lessons were pretty dry. I learned a lot just from tinkering around with my dad’s inventions and looking up things on the Internet. Here though, I was learning about magic! It was endlessly fascinating indeed.

Purligravy was still my—our—teacher and my friends were still in the same class. The Equestrian system of education didn’t have a class shuffle system so we stuck together fast.

“Psst.”

Although, sometimes it’d be nice to have a classmate that was a little more quiet.

“Psssssst.”

I twitched, but otherwise didn’t respond.

“Haaaaaaaarmmmmmooonnniiiicccaaaa…”

“What?!” I hissed, turning to see Runner’s triumphant grin.

“What’cha doin’?” he asked, pointing a hoof at my horn-writing. He regarded the writing for a moment, leaning over. “It’s still as bad as ever,” he commented snidely.

“Oh shut it,” I shot back. I examined my writing. I thought it was a lot better. It’s not my fault I hadn’t learned how to write without my hands. Even now, my hooves would sometimes twitch when I tried to write.

Golden, who was sitting next to Runner, assessed his writing.

“Hmm,” she said. “Yours isn’t much better.”

Runner pouted. “Is so!”

“Is not.”

“Is so—“

“What are you two? Five years old? We’re in the middle of the class,” I hissed under my breath.

It was then I noticed Purligravy standing next to our desk. Instead of her usual exuberant attitude I saw an annoyed quirk of her lip and slitted eyes.

“Sorry, Ms. Skies,” I mumbled. Golden and Runner were quick to follow suit.

“Oh you’ll be sorry,” Purligravy replied, rolling her eyes. “After you give me an essay on the statistical mechanics of spell matrix and environment interactions.”

I nodded quickly. “Yes, Miss.” Runner fumed in his seat. Runner hated essays and in contrast Golden looked suitably chastised but relieved we weren’t going to be sent out of class. Purligravy was a lot more forgiving but sometimes she could be even more strict than Sweetberry. Oh well, good thing I knew most of the background information when Discord brought it up from his last lessons with Star Swirl.

Ever since Star Swirl had traversed the dreamscape with us, he’d become more animated. He even started teaching Discord magic properly. The way Discord was improving though, he’d far outstrip me in magical ability soon. That foal was scary-like in his absorption of magical knowledge. I guess the only advantage I had against Discord would be experience and a little bit of science-magic.

I sat through the rest of class, diligently taking notes and mentally practicing the magic in my head. When it ended, I felt a tug on my leg.

“Oh, hey Wavey, what’s up?”

Wavey smiled at me and pointed at Runner.

“Could you help him? He always seems to have the most difficulties with essays.”

Golden snorted. “Just leave the blockhead alone.” She paused, glancing at the colt’s despondent expression. “Though if you want, you can help him like you always do, Harmonica.”

I rolled my eyes. “Me helping Runner is like you arguing with him. One cannot exist without the other.”

Golden snorted again. “Yeah well, we could live without each other for sure. You and Runner are complements. Besides, he’d probably fail this class if you hadn’t sat with him and tutored him in matrices.” She tapped a hoof on her chin. “Though how you’re so good with magic despite not having learned any of it until now is beyond me.”

“Practice,” I giggled and grinned.

Golden smirked at that and lead Wavey away. “Come on! Let’s go home. I’ll leave you to the featherbrain.”

Wavey gasped. “Golden! Watch what you say.”

This time it was Golden’s turn to roll her eyes. “Oh come off it. Let’s go.”

They left me with Runner who sat at his desk cradling his head with his hooves. I trotted up to him, laying a consoling hoof on his withers.

“Hey Runner, cheer up! I’ll get you through this.”

Runner looked even more downcast than normal. There was something wrong.

“Hey,” I said, coming around to face him up front. “What’s going on?”

Runner let out a despondent sigh. “Golden’s right, Harmonica. At this rate, I might fail the theoretical portion of this class.” He groaned. “I’m just not built for studying!”

I grinned at him. “Studying is not all bad. It’s just the way they teach you.” I concentrated and weaved a simple spell matrix. On his desk appeared a blank sheet of parchment.

“Oh no, you’re getting me to write now?”

“The sooner—“

“Sooner I get writing the faster it’ll be done. Right, got it.”

After I heard the familiar scratch of quill on parchment, I levitated the set from my saddlebags and sat with him, writing out my own essay.

“Harmonica?”

“No, you can’t peek at my essay.”

There was an exasperated sigh. “No, I wasn’t going to ask you for that.”

“That’s true you would just peek anyway.”

“He- okay, you’re right I would.”

There was a short silence.

“Harmonica?”

“Hmm?”

“You’re a good friend. Just wanted to let you know.”

“So are you, Runner.”

–––––

When I got back home I saw Tempora seated at the kitchen table.

“Hello,” I greeted pleasantly. “What brings the Great Ruler here?”

Tempora rolled her eyes. “Does a mother need a reason to visit her children?”

“She does if she wants to be served tea.”

Tempora huffed. “Well okay then. I’m just here to ask if you know anything about these.” With a small flash, two faceted rocks were conjured on the table.

“You’d probably need to see a jeweller for those.”

Tempora tapped a hoof impatiently.

“These are crystals.”

“I see,” I replied without really seeing at all. I mean, what was so special about crystals?

“They’re from a place called the Northern Wildlands.”

“Let me guess, they’re from the North?”

If Tempora was getting tired of my snarky attitude she gave no sign of being affected.

“Harmony, this is important,” she said evenly.

I set the kettle to boil and sat at the table opposite of her. I relaxed.

“Okay,” I said. “I’m all ears.”

Tempora smiled and nodded.

“Good. What I wanted to say is that these crystals are very useful, for magic. They can have many applications and can be used for construction, lighting, power, anything really. It’s exciting.”

“I’m sensing a ‘but’ here.”

Tempora inclined her head. “Yes. As you say there is a significant ‘but’ here.”

A shiver of unease worked up my spine.

“What is it?”

Tempora bit her lip. “Ponies that are exposed to the crystal for a long time tend to be affected by it. They start to take on the physical characteristics of the crystal. We don’t know for sure if this is a negative consequence but it is turning research off.”

I tapped my fingers on the table, mulling over the idea.

“It’s useful, right? Then we should investigate it.”

“I want you to do it, Harmony.”

“Me?! Why?”

“Because I trust you the most, quite possibly after Max.”

“What about Celestia or Luna?”

“They’re much too young for this.”

I sighed, studying the stones as it reflected the last light of the day filtering in from the window.

Tempora placed a hoof over the crystals.

“It’s fine if you don’t want to do it…”

“Ah okay!” I grumbled, snatching them away from her hoof. “I’ll do it.” I shrugged. “Who knows? Maybe crystals will become useful in the future?”

Tempora gave me a grateful nod.

“Well I must be leaving.” She sagged. “More paperwork.”

As she turned to leave I called back out to her.

“You know, you should drop by without something world-breaking for once.”

Tempora laughed.

“I’ll try,” she said, stepping out the door, the flash still bright from the gaps between the frames as she teleported away.

I stared at the crystals on the table.

“Now,” I growled. “How are you two going to cause me trouble?”

Author's Note:

I'm flat out from all the updates that I'm typing so I'll keep this short.

Thank you all for being here. Seriously, it means a lot that you like my work. I'll try and improve and get better and better.

Next Chapter: Ice cream everywhere.

As always, my imperative readers, thanks for reading!