• Published 30th Sep 2014
  • 17,500 Views, 1,209 Comments

Just Roll With It - sunnypack



Ever had your Dad marry a mythical creature? Ever just wanted a normal life? If this is you and you're not me, then this is exactly what we don't want, right?

  • ...
86
 1,209
 17,500

25 - Who're

Chapter 25: Who’re

To quote Arthur C. Clarke: ‘If we have learned one thing from history of invention and discovery, it is that, in the long—and often in the short one—the most daring prophecies seem laughably conservative.

The difference between Mr. Clarke’s words and that of Tempora’s is that Tempora can speak closer to the truth as she sees it. After the little dream-walking incident with my father, Tempora and I had gotten a little closer. We trusted each other more and I spent some time with her. Slowly, I got to see a little of Tempora’s world-view. To her, the future is fixed and we were but drifters along the current of Time. I once asked Tempora if she believed in free will.

“Yes”, she had replied. “Of course.” I pointed out the problem of free will in such a fatalistic stance on Time. Tempora just laughed at me and shook her head.

”The tapestry of Time,” she told me, “was more complex than that. Certainly it had accounted for such minor paradoxes as free will and certainty.” She gestured to the world around, pointing to ponies laughing and playing in the field, close to where we were walking. “Free will is an intrinsic part of the universe,” she laughed, “to consider it void when you’ve seen Time is presumptuous at best, galling hubris at worst.”

I couldn’t reconcile it with my mind. I guess I couldn’t see the world the way Tempora did. “I’m sorry,” I replied, scratching my head. “I just can’t make sense of that.”

She paused at that and her face sported a crinkled frown as if she were mildly confused as to why I couldn’t understand it. I guess to an alicorn of her unique perspective, she could just see the mechanics of Time and just know how it worked.

“Hmm,” she had hummed, as she cocked her head. She brightened slightly. “Perhaps a demonstration.” She held aloft a stone in the air. With a complicated spell matrix that I couldn’t discern, the rock vanished from my view. Gracefully, she sat on her haunches and she held up her hooves in front of my face. Smiling, she nodded to the empty hooves. “Pick the hoof that has the rock on it,’”she instructed, bringing the hooves closer.

I thought hard trying to see if a hoof held additional weight, if there was some sort of shadow cast by the rock or if there was any additional information I could glean from this little demonstration. I was stumped.

“That one,” I said uncertainly, pointing a finger at her left hoof.

“Oh, a poor choice,” she giggled and reveal the rock to be in her right hoof. I shrugged.

“What was the point of that?” I asked, a little irked.

“You’re a smart colt, Harmony, you tell me,” she replied simply.

I went back through the demonstration.

Oh, I thought. Ooooh.

“The rock was already in your hoof at that point, it was already there, but I didn’t know it. When I made my choice, the rock was revealed to be there all along, it’s a physical fact that it was there and always will be there in your left hoof. I didn’t know I was going to choose your right hoof, but it’s a physical fact I would have. I had free will as long as I was unaware of the meta-information of where the rock was.”

Tempora smiled but shook her head.

“Close, but not quite,” she commented, I cocked my head confused. “You still have free will,” she explained, bringing the hooves back up again. This time the rock was not there, but its shadow was there. “Prophesy is a little like this. You see where the rock is and you can use free will to choose where it is.” The spell revealed a rock of a different shape, though it cast a similar shadow. “You can know things for certain, or at least you may think you know things for certain, but you can’t change the fact that you will always pick the empty hoof.” She held out the hooves again and I picked the left one. It was still empty. “Your choice is still your own,” she said, “but your actions still follow the same course.”

I still couldn’t wrap my head around it. How could one consolidate free will with such a fatalistic mindset? I shook my head.

Tempora sagged a little, as if disappointed that I couldn’t share in her philosophy. She tried again.

“Your actions might be your own,” she said, whilst she dismissed the spell and discarded the rock. “But you can’t change what will happen, anymore than you can change the rock being the rock, the sky being the sky, the past being the past.”

It still didn’t make any sense. It was so paradoxical. I sighed, sweeping a hand through the dirt as I sat next to the monarch.

“I can’t see it,” I mumbled apologetically. Tempora just nodded, her eyes reflecting an emotion I couldn’t discern.

“That’s alright,” she told me, her eyes unfocused. I was beginning to recognise that faraway look. I think she was looking into the future, or perhaps the past. She was using her special brand of magic to see what will come to pass.

She blinked away a few tears.

“Very few do…”

––––––

I made my way back to house, following the road’s trail to my humble abode. I say humble but it was a two storey affair. Suddenly, I had a recollection of the mortgage still to be paid on the house and I giggled. The more I thought about the expression on the mortgage broker’s face when he realised that the house had simply vanished off the face of the world, the more I just kept on laughing.

I opened the door, feeling much more refreshed. Dad wouldn’t be home, he was still recuperating in the castle. They had sent a delegation to the griffon empire to find that sneaky little rascal that had ensnared Dad’s mind. I hope they caught him. According to the griffon laws, mind spells like those carried a life term. Knowing their corrupted aristocracy though, that little conniving bi—bird… would get out fairly quickly.

Still, we could afford a little peace and quiet around here for a few years. Besides, being on sovereign land and protected by Tempora, I seriously doubted anyone would be insane enough to come charging in here to get their revenge.

I skirted around a couple of chairs I hadn’t tucked into the kitchen table and set about whipping up something quick. Perhaps a pasta dish? I frowned. There wasn’t any pasta here, I’d have to learn how to make it from scratch, though I didn’t know how. Uhh, flour and water and flatten it out or something? I’d probably have to talk to a chef about Earth cuisine, perhaps show him a few things before we run out permanently.

A mirthful grin tugged at the corners of my mouth as I thought about Luna and how’d she get all flustered if we ever ran out of peanut butter. She was absolutely adorable especially that one time she got her muzzle stuck in the jar. I hadn’t laughed that hard since… Well since coming to Equestria. Golly, it was what? Years since I’ve been back on Earth…

A tug on my sleeve startled me out of my short reverie. It was Discord, looking at me with wide, pleading eyes.

“No food?” he asked, giving me a hopeful grin.

D’aww I couldn’t say no that face. I had half a mind to tell him to cook for himself, he was plenty old enough, but even though he was a decent cook, he always preferred to have me cook for him. I think he told me one time that cooking alone reminded him of when he lived alone. Every time I thought about that I would just give in and cook for him.

Sometimes I would see a little smirk on his muzzle so he might be playing my heartstrings a little too deviously. Crafty little mastermind. I could imagine him with puppet strings waiting for anyone that didn’t know him. Fat chance of that in Equestria, but he’d probably conquer half the world.

“Okay,” I said, giving in to those honey-eyes. “But only this time.” This was the hundredth time I said that though…

Discord grinned from ear to ear and sat down at the kitchen table imperiously.

“Come on Harmony,” he cajoled me as I moved around the kitchen. “Faster.”

I rolled my eyes.

“With that kind of attitude I’ll just cook for myself, thank you very much.”

Discord let out a puling whine that I swear only dogs could make.

“Oh for pony’s sake, I’ll do it!” I growled, gathering ingredients.

“Yay!”

I darted around the kitchen grumbling to myself then I did a small double-take.

Did I just swear in pony? I think I’m going native.

Author's Note:

Back to the original tone of the fic. Sorry about that everyone!

Please don't burn me with fire. I don't like fire.

Kayla-verse linked here and in the story.

Next Chapter: Peanut butter and jelly. I've actually never tried that... Would Luna like that?

As always, my inimically indentured readers, thanks for reading!

P.S. No doubt some readers may be confused as to the chapter reordering or what has happened. I basically rooted up the Kayla-verse arc and placed it as a side story. Sorry for the confusion, but I think people want it this way, it'll be better.