• Published 5th Nov 2014
  • 14,628 Views, 1,139 Comments

To Protect And Serve - Onomonopia

  • ...
54
 1,139
 14,628

Unleash the Dogs of War

Flash looked out the train window at the dark clouds rumbling overhead, his expression mirroring the other ponies he was with faces as well, as all of them had the same thought on their minds. Where was Murphy?

'It's been nearly a week since I saw him at the hospital, yet he hasn't checked in or returned to us or...nothing,' Flash growled in his mind as his thoughts were shifted back to how long him and the others had all searched from Murphy, from Applepalooza to the castle in the Everfree Forest, him and the others had looked to no avail. Robocop was simply gone. 'And I know for a fact that something terrible happened between him and Sombra. I know it. I only hope that he's still alive somewhere where he can save him...before we need saving again.'

"Celestia won't be happy to hear about this," Twilight said bitterly with a shake of her head as she brushed Scootaloo's mane, the fillies all sitting next to her with looks of worry. "Not only is Murphy a close friend of ours, but he was also hanging onto the key that powered the Sentinel's up in Canterlot. If Sombra has gotten his hooves of it..."

"Then it'll be war," Flash finished for her, all sets of eyes turning towards him as he adjusted his helmet. "That's why we need to guard the chamber with all we've got, so Sombra can't bend the Sentinel's to his will as well. Are Rainbow, Fluttershy and Pinkie going to be joining us today? I'd feel better if they were here with us."

"They'll be here tomorrow, but they're still checking the other cities and towns in case Sombra has taken Robocop there," Twilight explained as she created a map with her magic to show their locations. "Dash is circling up north, since that's where Sombra used to hide out back before he was imprisoned. Fluttershy's animals told her that Murphy was seen entering the Everfree Forest a week ago and she's been scouring it with her animals. And Pinkie simply goes wherever she feels he might be."

"So what are we going to tell the princesses, that we have to guard the chamber for the rest of our lives?" Scootaloo asked with a smirk, but the look of worry never left her eyes. "How do we know that Sombra isn't already there and waiting for us?"

"I sent Celestia a letter about what we believed to have happened as soon as Flash told me about the shadow and Murphy heading out on his own," Twilight responded. "And that was nearly a week ago. If Sombra was both in control of this key and had access to the chamber, he wouldn't have waited this long to make his move. He prefers a quick victory."

"Ah hate that Sombra so much," Applebloom whispered under her breath, her tiny body shaking from the rage that she felt burning up her heart. "First mah granny and now Robocop? How much more is he gonna take from us before he's had enough?"

"If he has his way, much more," Applejack whispered to herself as she pulled her sister into a hug, the two staying close as they heard the conductor call out that they were arriving in Canterlot. Flash took notice as they got off the train that there were no guards at the station to greet them, but instead the princesses of the day and the night awaited their arrival.

"It is good to see you again my friends, but from your faces I can see that I do need to ask my question," Luna sighed as she shook her head. "I suppose at this point we might as well consider Robocop dead or at least M.I.A. Come, we need to head to the castle and then to the chamber."

"But we can't just give up!"

"He could still be out there!"

"Mah sister would never give up on her friends this easy!"

"I have to agree with my sister, we cannot keep using the defenders of harmony to keep searching for him while Sombra still runs free," Celestia agreed, her tone silencing all of the ponies who had argued with Luna. "I too am hurt by what we have assumed to have happened to Robocop, but you must remember that he was an officer of the law. He knew the risks of going in after Sombra alone, yet he did so to do his duty and keep us safe. If we allow Sombra to win then his possible death would have been in vain. Once we have Sombra, we can force him to tell us when or if he killed Robocop, but right now safety is our first concern."

The ponies were silenced as they listened to Celestia's words, knowing that she was right but still wishing to help Robocop if he was still alive. But as the group walked through the streets Flash took notice that none of the guards were at any of their positions, even the ones that were actually of any use.

"Yes Flash, we are aware of this," Luna said when he brought the question up. "With the lack of faith we have in the royal guard we have sent all guards back to boot camp, having them remember what their duty is and how they need to behave. Those guards that are true to the code and desire to protect others are at the chamber, keeping the town safe."

"But they will not need too much longer, because I will be activating the Sentinel's today," Celestia said. All eyes turned towards her and no pony could say anything, Celestia nodding her head in agreement with the silence. "I know that it might not seem the wisest move, but with Robocop gone we need to get the city protected. And even if they are susceptible to his influence now, at least with them active they will be able to alert us if they do see him. We need eyes right now and the Sentinels can do that much at least."

"But how are ya going to activate them princess? Ya don't have the key any longer," Applejack asked.

"The Sentinels are already programmed to listen to my sister and me. We kept the key away from Sombra because with it he could undo our work and make himself sole master of the beasts," Celestia answered with worry as she looked up at the sky thundering overhead. "Let us hurry."

"Shouldn't we just teleport there instead of walking? As much as I love the tour of Canterlot I believe that speed should be our first priority," Rarity asked, but Luna shook her head.

"We have made the castle as magic proof as we could, in hopes to keep Sombra out of it. While it might not stop his smoke form, it does prevent him from simply teleporting in to attack us in our sleep. Unfortunately, it also keeps our magic out as well," Luna answered as she pursed her lip.

"Princesses, if I may leave and go join the guard at the chamber, I would feel safer about this whole thing?" Flash asked the two princesses with a bow. The two stopped and shared a quick glance before shaking their heads.

"Actually Flash Sentry, we would rather have you at the barracks training the other guards. You have proven yourself to be a noble soul and we feel that you would do more good there." Flash hid the disappointment in his eyes, but respected the princess’s orders with a bow and turned towards the barracks, Luna looking back towards the sky.

"Come. We are almost there."

DPD

The massive green doors opened with a touch of his hoof, making the entrance into the chamber far easier than the past times he had entered it. A large smile spread on his face at how easy this had become, a smile that was illuminated in a green light that shone from around his neck. The dark king entered into the chamber already planning his victory speech that he would give to his new world, but as he entered the main chamber he found that there was still some trash that needed to be taken out.

"So, you are the final line of defense?" Sombra asked with a loud chuckle, turning all seven of the guard’s heads towards him. He saw fear flash in their eyes as they spotted him and he knew that this battle was over. A guard dash for parchment and quill, yet a bolt of dark magic erased both him and the parchment, leaving the other guards to look with horror at Sombra. "So, are the rest of you going to do something foolish as well? If you run for your lives now, I may just let you go."

To Sombra's moderate surprise the guards all shared one last look with each other, as if they were excepting their fate, before grabbing their weapons and placing their helmets onto their heads before advancing towards Sombra with courage burning in their eyes.

"Ah, so you're the dumbest of Celestia's guards. Well then, we can't have such idiots running around, can we?" Sombra cackled as he slipped into his shadowy form, turning himself into a spear that pierced through one of the guards chest plates and ran clean through him. The guard had barely began to fall when Sombra twirled his shadow body like a twister, whirling the blades of darkness at such speeds that two guards found themselves missing their heads.

"For the princesses!" one of them roared in defiance as he began to fire bolts of magic towards the cyclone of darkness, but it slithered out of the way of his shots and enveloped him in its darkness, crushing the life out of him within seconds. Another guard hurled her spear into Sombra's darkness, but all that did was cause laughter to echo throughout the room before the darkness shot out like a bullet into her head, dropping her without another word. Sombra returned to his natural form with a small chuckle before he began to advance towards the pool of green magic at the end of the room, lifting his key with his magic as he did so.

"Hold it!" Sombra turned his head with mild interest to see that he had missed a guard, who was cut and bruised from the cyclone but still drew breath. "You're not done yet, not as long as I still draw breath!"

"This fight is over. And you know why? Because you're standing in my way," Sombra said before turning his attention back to the pool. He imaged that the guard had a look of confusion on his face at that moment before a loud cracking sound could be heard, followed by a body falling to the floor. Sombra smirked as he took the key and placed it in the pool, cackling to himself as the green pool began to turn into a murky black, the magic seeping through the floor and into the stone Sentinels that lined the room.

"I am king Sombra, your new master," he said into the key as the black magic began to infect each and every one of the Sentinels. "You answer only to me now, not the princesses, not the ponies; only me. Now, arise!" Sombra's eyes show with delight as the stone beings eyes flashed a crimson red before they began to stir, black magic seeping through their limbs where green magic used to reside. Dozens of Sentinels awoke from their slumber and turned towards king Sombra, each of them looking up at him, awaiting his instructions.

"The only thing depressing about this moment is that I had a big speech thought up before I sent you off to kill all of the ponies, but since you're all just machines you probably won't understand a word of it...ah hell, I'll say it anyway," Sombra laughed before clearing his throat and casting his arms wide.

"Greetings my personal army, you should all consider yourself to be among the luckiest machines in the land! Because today is a day that shall never be forgotten in the new history of Equestria, run by yours truly. Today we shall all strike down the princess who believe themselves untouchable and cast fear into the ponies who never wished to know what darkness can lie in this land!" Sombra roared with pride as he began to laugh, having fun as well as building himself up. "And the best part is once I've won I can kill any of you and none of you will care, because you are all under my command."

"Now then, all of you have only three simple tasks you must follow today! The first is to obey my every command! You all seem to be doing great on that front, so I'm not that worried. The second is to kill and destroy everything in this city that represents the old ways, the Celestia way, the way that was created for the weak," Sombra said with spite in each of his words, before his smile retook its place upon his face. "And the third is to fight to the bitter death, no matter what happens. Now go then my rock ugly minions! Go and tear down the world of those who created you! Repay them for their kindness!"

All of the stone Sentinel's let out a roar of war before they all turned and began to move towards the exit, Sombra laughing manically as lightning flashed overhead and thunder shook the kingdom. He then used his magic to create a throne for himself out of the floor, sitting down in it as he reached into the darkness and pulled back a large orb, which he looked into with a smile as the first images of the Sentinel's moving into the streets began to broadcast.

Sombra then moved from the throne to the pool of green magic in the center of the room, dipping a hoof into it before shivering. Yet as he looked up at his horn, he saw the magical glow upon it grow even brighter. He made a mental note of what he had just discovered before sitting back in the throne with a smile as he took the orb again.

'Today is finally the day, the day in which I take all of Equestria for my own. Nothing can ruin this for me. I have all five aces, I have the army that was specifically designed to combat somepony as dangerous as me,' he thought to himself with eyes glued to the orb, watching with a smile as the Sentinel's began to strike down ponies in the street with no remorse. 'The princesses and their ponies will fight, that is to be expected. But they will fall, it is only a matter of time. And just in case they do manage to find a way to overcome the Sentinel's,' Sombra began as he lifted his eyes for a moment, smiling at what he saw. 'I have the hidden sixth ace up my sleeve.'

With that last thought Sombra leaned back in his chair, watching the slaughter as it began.