• Published 5th Nov 2014
  • 14,613 Views, 1,139 Comments

To Protect And Serve - Onomonopia

  • ...
54
 1,139
 14,613

His End

"Electric shock. Magical repairs! I've tried everything that I know yet nothing wakes him up!" Twilight panicked as she surrounded Robocop's metallic head in her magic, trying to wake him up gently. Magic was not the answer to the problem as Twilight quickly found out, making her sigh in frustration as she looked up at the unmoving officer.

After his collapse in the streets, Twilight and the others brought him into the medical wing of the castle in hopes to help him heal, where he rested for days. Celestia had the sad task of informing the husband of the mare that had been shot what had happened and had informed the group that both he and his foal would be looked after by Celestia, so that Twilight could focus on Robocop. Yet all of their efforts proved fruitless and Robocop remained motionless, worrying all of the ponies that knew him well. Flash, AJ, Rarity and the CMC all sat around his legs as Twilight tried to fix him, but with each failed attempt their worry grew.

"And don't get me started on how long it took me to get his hands to open again after that. We're lucky that his gun doesn't fire continuously when he holds the trigger down cause he was not letting go," she said to her friends. "But what I don't understand is how it went off. If he can't fight his directives, he shouldn't have been able to pull the trigger."

"Well whatever the reason it saved a mare's life. So...is he offline permanently?" Flash asked.

"I don't know. There is nothing wrong with his body or his mind, my spells have told me that he's fully operational...at least as far as a machine goes," Twilight grumbled as she looked at the data she had written down on his systems and operations. "So if he's perfectly fine, why isn't he waking up? His systems did crash, but I managed to reboot them! So why doesn't he move?"

"Maybe it runs deeper than system damage or repairs?" Flash suggested, turning all heads towards him. "He was torn between his directives and because of that he killed the body of an innocent pony while Sombra still escaped. I know that if I were placed in that situation and killed an innocent, I'd retreat to where I feel safe."

"Are you saying that he's retreated into his mind?" Rarity asked, Flash nodding as Twilight thought about his words. "I mean, I have heard stories of ponies that do that under extremely stressful situations, but wouldn't Twilight's magic be able to reach him even in his mind?"

"If he was a regular pony or human, yes, my magic could, but he's mostly mechanical," Twilight mused as she looked into his visor. "That might be the key there. I've been trying to reach his conscious like I would a normal pony, but maybe I have to go far deeper, into his subconscious to find Robocop, but I'm not that good at this...alright everypony stand back. I'm going to try to go into his subconscious to see if I can pull him back out."

"Hold on!" Twilight looked down to see the CMC on their hooves, looking up at her with worry and determination in their eyes. "If what ya told us about Robocop is true, then he's in a lot of pain right now. So he'll need as many of his friends there to help him. We're coming with ya."

"And don't try to stop us," Scootaloo added before Twilight could speak. "He's saved us twice now, so we need to return the favor." Twilight looked down at the three of them with surprise in her eyes before she looked up at her friends, who were also looking at her with determination in their eyes as they smiled at her.

"Alright, but I want all of you to stay close. I don't know where we'll end up once we go in." They nodded as they all drew in close to Twilight, who closed her eyes as she prepared the magic that would take them into Robocop's mind. A flash of light erupted from her horn, blinding the ponies around her. When they all opened their eyes again, they found to their surprise that they were standing on metal paneling with pipes and wires lining the walls around them. Eerily the room was devoid of anything organic or natural, with every small detail of it being metal or mechanical

"This must be how he envisions his brain," Twilight muttered as the group looked around the strangely empty room. AJ spotted the first sign of thought when she spotted the three directives Robocop followed, the directives looking like they were burned into his mind. "So if those are his directives, then where's..."

And then she and the others spotted the robotic officer, who was simply staring straight ahead at a large screen that rested against the wall, images flashing through it so quickly that none of the ponies were able to discern what the images were.

"Robocop?" Flash asked as he walked up to the officer, who made no sound in reply. "Hey man, are you doing alright? Your systems are working but for some reason you don't wake up. What's the matter?" Robocop did not reply nor did he move, giving the ponies no answer and confusing them further.

"Come on, we're here to take you back home," Sweetie said as she gently placed a hoof against his leg. The moment she did so the images stopped moving at such blazing speeds and slowed down enough so that the ponies could see what was happening on the screen. On the screen rested the image of a human woman and child chasing each other around for fun, the child being dressed like a devil and laughing.

"Is that his family?" Applebloom whispered. Then to the shock of the ponies they saw a human hand extend from the bottom of the screen and pull the two into a huge, laughing with them as the hand let go and pulled up a camera to take a picture of them.

"This is Robocop," Flash whispered in shock. "Before he became...Robocop." Flash gently placed his hand on Robocop leg in hopes to comfort him, but when he did so the images flashed again and showed Robocop's point of view of him walking into an abandoned steel mill, with a cruder version of the weapon he carried clutched tightly in his two human hands. The ponies could barely make out what looked like a helmet that came just into his field of vision, telling them he was in danger. Robocop then spotted two people standing around and he quickly walked towards them with his gun drawn.

"Freeze. Don't move," Robocop instructed them. The two looked at each other for a moment before one of them went for a long weapon, but Robocop shot him dead before turning to the other one, who was reaching for a similar weapon. "Yeah, go ahead and do it. Dead or alive, you're coming with me. Lewis! Lewis, I have a situation here girl!"

"Get up, c'mon. Hands on your head, spread your legs. Lewis, where are you?!" he called out as he turned his head, only to turn back to see more people entering the room.

"Why don't you let us take it from here Emil?" one of the other humans asked. Out of the corner of the eyes they were watching through the saw the man that Robocop was arresting yank the gun from Robocop's hand before backing off and picking up his own gun.

"Your ass is mine," the one called Emil said.

"No. Not yet it ain't," a man with glasses said as he entered the room, taking the helmet off of Robocop and placing it on Emil. "you a good cop, hot shot? You gotta be some kind of "great" cop, coming in here all by yourself." The sound of boots hitting something could be heard and Robocop dropped to his knees, his eyes watching the men with the guns the entire time. "Where's your partner?" the man said from behind as he hit Robocop in the back, knocking him onto all fours. "Where's your partner?"

"Hey guys, she was upstairs, she was sweeeeet, mm, mmm, mmmn! I took her out," another man said as he entered the room while laughing.

"Twilight, I'm scared," Scootaloo whispered to Twilight, none of them able to take their eyes off of the images before them.

"It's going to be okay Scootaloo. He's Robocop," Twilight whispered, not believing her own words.

"I bet that really pisses you off," the man in the glasses said with a smirk as he slightly touched Robocop's face, his smile vanishing. "You probably don't think I'm a very nice guy, do ya?"

"Buddy, I think you're slime," Robocop said back with as much courage and determination as he could muster, getting the criminals around him to laugh. The man with the glasses pushed Robocop over and placed his foot on his right arm.

"See, I got this problem. Cops don't like me," he began as he pointed his gun right at Robocop's face, all of the ponies backing up a bit as they looked down the barrel of the gun. "So I don't like cops. Nanananana," he began as he waved the gun around before pointing right at Robocop's right hand...and blowing it clean off. The ponies hearts dropped as they watched Robocop look at his missing right hand in shock, barely hearing the criminal say,

"Well give the man a hand!" Robocop held the bleeding stump that used to be his hand, his attention so drawn to it that he never heard the criminal say, "He's all yours." With horrified expressions the ponies watched as Robocop fought back to his feet while one of the criminal said. "Hey turn around! Hey pretty boy? Hey over here!"

The gun fired off again and Robocop's right arm was blown off his body, causing the fillies to scream with horror at the sight. Robocop let out a cry of pain as he closed his eyes, turning everything dark. But the ponies could still hear his scream, until it was defended by the sounds of all of the criminal’s weapons going off at once. For seconds that felt like hours the sounds of gunfire continued, until it suddenly stopped and was followed by,

"I'm out of ammo." Robocop let out one last cry as another criminal said, "Hey Clarence, he's still alive." Robocop moaned weakly, his eyes still tightly shut in pain.

"Does it hurt? Does it hurt?" they heard a criminal taunt in the darkness, followed by laughter. Twilight wanted to throw up at this point, far beyond horrified at what she was seeing. The other ponies were equally horrified and the CMC weren't even facing the screen anymore. Robocop opened his eyes one last time to see the man in glasses pointing a gun at him.

"Okay, funs over." Then another bang could be heard and everything went dark. The ponies stood silently, none of them able to comprehend what had just happened. The only noise in the room came from Sweetie Belle, who was sobbing into her sister’s side. Then, to the surprise of all the ponies, static began to appear on the screen again, continuing for a few more seconds until they were looking up a ceiling, but now with lines crossing the screen. A lady walked over and tilted his vision and after a few more seconds a man came over and began to work off to the side of the screen before everything went dark again.

"But...they killed him," Scootaloo whispered. His vision came on a for a few more seconds again before blacking out, but when it came back on again a number of people were standing around him.

"He's on."

"What's the story?"

"We were able to save the left arm."

"What a man asked as he walked into the field of vision. “I thought we agreed on total body prosthesis. Now loose the arm, okay?" The man then looked down and snapped his fingers in front of Robocop's eyes. "Can he understand what I'm saying?"

"Doesn't matter, we're going to blank his memory anyway."

"Well I think we should lose the arm, the man said as another came very close to Robocop's eyes. “What do you think Johnson?"

"He signed the release forms when he joined the force and he's legally dead...we can do pretty much what we want to him." At those words Flash's heart stopped, remembering what Robocop had said to him about the dead not having rights.

"Lose the arm."

"Shut him down, prep him for surgery." The images continued to flash after blacking out again, this time showing the ponies when they gave him the mechanical arm before it switched to a time when the entire office was celebrating new years.

"This isn't right," Applejack whispered during the celebration. "He's sitting their barely even alive and they're treating him like...a thing."

The images flashed once again and this time it showed the entire staff cheering for him as he stood up, walking by all of them as they introduced him and cheered for him. Then the images began to move faster, but the ponies could see that all of them were of Robocop taking down criminal after criminal, including one of the men who had killed him despite the man blowing up a gas station on him.

Then the next image came as a shock to the ponies, since it was so far removed from the other ones that they had seen. It was Robocop walking towards an office with a video playing of to the side of his vision, a video of a beaten man telling Robocop who he worked for.

"That's the same guy that killed him," Flash whispered to Twilight, who could only dumbly nod her head in response. The doors to the room opened and Robocop walked inside to see a person sitting behind a large desk.

"Come in officer," the man said to Robocop as he walked inside. "You know I usually don't see anyone without an appointment but in your case I’ll make an exception."

"You are under arrest," Robocop replied as the words "Arrest mode" appeared on the lower part of his vision.

"Oh? On what charge?"

"Aiding and abiding a known felon," Robocop dictated as more words appeared on his screen, but to the ponies surprise the man didn't look scared.

"Oh. Looks like I'm in trouble," the man said as he stood up and held out his hands. "You'd better take me in."

"I will." Robocop took two steps forward before the words product violation appeared on his screen. His screen went dead for a moment and the words directive four began to flash on the screen when it came back on.

"What's the matter officer?" the man taunted as Robocop struggled to remain standing, eventually falling to his knees. "I'll tell you what's the matter. It's a little insurance policy called directive four. My little contribution to your psychological profile. Any attempt to arrest a senior officer of OCP results in shutdown." Robocop was struggling to move at all at this point and the ponies began to fear that he would die again.

"What did you think? That you were an ordinary police officer? You're our product," the man said from off screen. "And we can't very well have our products turn against us, can we?" In a final act of desperation Robocop drew his gun. "Ah, still a little bit of fight left in you," the man said before Robocop dropped his gun to the ground.

"Maybe you'd like to meet a friend of mine?" the man asked as he pushed a button, causing a giant mech far larger than Robocop to walk out into the room. "I had to kill Bob Morton because he made a mistake. Now it's time to erase that mistake." The mech began to march towards Robocop, who could barely get himself back to his feet. But before the memory could continue Sweetie Belle raced from her sister’s side and tackled Robocop.

"NO! I WON'T WATCH YOU DIE AGAIN! WAKE UP, ROBOCOP! WAKE UP!" The images turned to static as the whole room began to spin, tearing the ponies from Robocop's mind. With a groan Twilight and the others opened their eyes, finding themselves standing back in the room where they had entered Robocop's mind. The only difference was that Robocop was now standing up and looking down at their petrified faces.

"Robocop status: Online. What is the matter?"

Author's Note:

This chapter was more to focus on his failures that his whole backstory. I know I cut some good bits out.