• Published 28th Sep 2014
  • 495 Views, 18 Comments

Twilight and Luna's Lessons in Teaching: Redux - dracone



Twilight and Luna get some new students.

  • ...
5
 18
 495

A New Nightly Routine, and return to Court.

Author's Note:

And we're back to Luna and Dream, I decided to give Luna at least one new quirk. Let me know if it anything doesn't work out. Also you get to see more of Luna's personal space, let me know what you think. As always feel free to use the materials provided, but give me heads up so I can help out.

Luna smiled at the picture she had hanging on the wall across from her bed, in full view when she awoke. The image was rather simple, with the colors bleeding together at some points, but she didn't care, this was her favorite original piece from Dream Step. The painting in question was a watercolor and ink piece that showed the midnight blue alicorn and white filly standing next to each other on a grassy hill, that looked more like it was becoming a mass of rock because of the color bleeding, overlooking a nigh sky with a full moon off to the right of Luna while the filly was to her left in a sitting position and staring at the moon with interest.

A maid knocked on the door and gave a gentle reminder to the Luna, through the door, that it was getting close to her time to raise the moon, which meant that Luna would be getting back to her Night Court later tonight. She detested the bickering nobles, fighting over the most trivial things, but her duty as princess meant she had to listen to their grievances. She hoped a high proportion of more common ponies with more practical concerns would be making attempts to ask for her aid. However to her the most exciting time of the night was seeing her new student's shining face, and the sooner she got to heading to her more well known official duties the sooner she could spend time with Dream Step.

After going through the routine of washing herself, donning her regalia, and brushing out the tangles in her mane and tail, a process that only took about a half hour, Luna almost threw the door open and trotted through it energetically before closing and locking it behind her. She spotted Dream sitting expectantly in the open door to her own room waiting for the umbra alicorn to pass her so that she could follow behind. Dream's concerns had manifested in the castle as a filly who was polite to the staff and acting in a less than positive manner to the nobles she encountered. Luna was happy that she was so considerate, and she was secretly proud the filly was skittish around the nobles she hadn't gotten to know or just felt uncomfortable around.

As the midnight blue alicorn mare passed by the filly's room Dream fell into step a few steps to right and behind, Luna noted that it was a very faithful imitation of standard guard protocol. She just rolled her eyes and and motioned for the filly to walk at her side with her right wing. Dream sped up her pace until she was at the mare's side and slowed down so that she was keeping pace with the alicorn.

“So,” said Luna as they approached the doorway to the balcony she performed moon risings at, “I see you've grown accustomed to life here in castle, even if you're still afraid to leave my private wing without my company. That will all go through a bit of change when this summer comes to an end, you will be attending a school here in Canterlot that I have chosen as what I believe to be of the best environment for you flourish, dost thou protest?”

Dream said nothing for a few seconds, making it a bit of an awkward silence for a few that period of time, “No, miss Luna, thine must do what thee believes is best. Will you be the one to drop me off at the school, or will you delegate that to somepony else?

“I will be attending to both your transit to and from the hall of learning I decided you will attend, at least for the first couple of weeks. Worry not, my dear apprentice, all precautions have been addressed. I have been busy making adjustments to the Canterlot school system to both improve it for all and make your transition less rough than I have been fearing these past few weeks,” she paused to go on to the balcony and due her primary duty, when the sun was down and the moon was high in the sky she returned and said, “it was a big decision as whether or not to enroll you in the school system or have you attend classes with a tutor that was not myself, We came to the decision that it was better for thee to attend an academic hall that had foals around thine age, you must make some friends while you are here. When the ones that claim to your parents finally meet us we will see how capable they truly are ourselves, but until then Our sister has entrusted you to us so we will see to your needs.”

Dream's stomach gave a light gurgle, causing Luna to give a light giggle before saying, “Which means right now we both must have ourselves a some breakfast, the chefs can make anything you request so try ordering the first thing that come to mind this time around, we grow tired of scanning menus.”

“Um, okay, I'll try,” said Dream with a little apprehension, “I'll try ordering something from off the top of my head, since you requested I do so.”

Luna facewinged, which was something she was prone instead of the traditional facehoof of other ponies, it was a quirk that was only known to her sister, her closest guards, and was something that Dream had picked up on her fifth night with the dark coated alicorn. It was near the end of their third week as mentor and apprentice. “It would seem you need to learn something about being more assertive, you are talking and acting like a pony that is not accustomed to asserting herself. Amongst siblings it is usually the elder that is more assertive, it is something I learned to do before my first time on the throne.”

“Eclipse and I are the youngest among the four of us, neither of us has ever been all that assertive.”

“That is before your sister started making preparations to come to Equestria,” said Luna with a smile, “something in her made her find a little bit of assertion in order to motivate you and your brother. I have seen your art, it has grown far more bold as of late. You have assertive tendencies, it will just take the right circumstances to help bring those out more effectively.” They came upon the nearest dining room and a black unicorn mare with a bright orange mane and florescent green tail came up greeting them by saying, “Good evening, my ladies, I am Triple Tone. What is you desire this night for your meal?”

Dream looked a little unsure, mostly by making a few discreet looks at Luna for assistance, Luna said, “I will leave the decision of our meal to Dream Step, I will be having whatever she decides to order up.” The alicorn mare gave the filly a warm, yet sly, smile.

“Um,” said Dream Step, “I would like a fresh garden salad with a peanut salad dressing, some rice pudding with extra cinnamon, and to drink would it be too much trouble to ask for some huckleberry lemonade?”

“All fine choices said Triple Tone, I believe all you have ordered is still very much in season.”

When Triple Tone had left the room Luna inquired, “Where did you get the inspiration to order all that.”

Dream shifted in her seat a bit before saying, “I read in some of the books you put in my room last week, and among the ones I read they described ponies having the items I asked for, the descriptions were a bit vague when it came to eating and drinking the food and beverages. I wanted to see for myself what it was like to have those things.”

Luna smiled and said, “Curiosity is good in cases like this, you would do well to remember that the asking for some kinds of food or beverage are considered an insult to ponies of certain regions, in Equestria and abroad. But for now, we can enjoy whatever you desire, we will go through proper etiquette when entertaining guests, and being a guest, later.”

“Yes miss Luna, I understand,” said Dream with an unsure voice.

“Are you worried you might be forced into a similar process to what you told me about when you lived in Bridleton?” Dream just nodded slowly, “fear not, our etiquette is far more elegant and accommodating than what you described as what passes for etiquette in Bridleton.”

“All I've really been doing since you took me as your student is things like drawing, painting, and that thing with the clay you called 'sculpting', I really enjoy it, but why am I doing it all if you said you would be teaching me magic?”

Luna just smiled and said, “You need to get a good grasp of the basics, doing art pieces has helped you to cultivate your levitation to a point it isn't so wobbly, as for the sculpting, I just wanted you to try something that you could do with your hooves more than your magic. You must always learn to do things outside of what you think you are meant to be learning. You never know when you might experience a magical burnout, or some sort of artifact could disable your spell casting. So to help you get used to not completely relying on your magic I had you sculpt the clay with your hooves and forelegs.”

“Oh,” said Dream, “I like doing those sorts of things, creating something new wasn't all that well received back in Bridleton.”

“Why was that? We would think artistic expression would be more evident in a culture, no matter what their standing beliefs.”

“Eclipse noticed it during her initial preparations to escape, the newest pieces of, well, everything are only five thousand years old. Architecture hasn't undergone any changes since then, technological innovation was halted a little longer ago than that, the progress of fashion came to an abrupt end around that time, and the arts were halted in the creation of new or original pieces a little before then. Everything is has been done in the same way for a very long time, every 'new' family portrait is done the exact same way.”

“How long ago has the one your sister mentioned wrote those journals be gone?”

“Almost ten thousand years now,” said Dream with a sigh, “How old is Equestria?”

“A little over four thousand years ago now,” said Luna with a distinct smile on her face, “Tia and I didn't take over rulership of the nation until a little after its fourth Centennial celebration, we had lived in the nation for a good century before then.”

“Oh, your history tells of an incident a little over a thousand years ago that resulted in a thousand years where Celestia was the sole monarch, Bridleton itself is a monarchy so it's a little strange for me to fully comprehend that Equestria has more than one ruler, that and the highest authority in the land is one who bares the title princess or prince, although it seems it's also an aesthetic title when referring to the high ranking nobility. I really didn't want to be caught off guard when I realized how big of a social event this 'Gala' is, to tell the truth just reading the most basic things for more than a few minutes gives me headache, but Eclipse is different, if left alone with a large volume of reading materials I have the feeling she'd spend hours upon hours just reading. But art,” she gave a sigh of content, “if you were to leave me alone with just piece of charcoal in a blank room I'd probably forget the world as I tried crafting my own on the walls, floor, door and ceiling.”

Luna gave a chuckle as their food floated in a light blue aura on to the table in front of them, she waited until Dream was busying herself eating her salad, in a manner that the alicorn found both amusing and adorable before saying, “art is more than pictures and paints, it merely the act of creation and evoking emotions upon those who experience its existence. The acts of cooking, baking, and preparation of food in any other way are all referred to as the culinary arts, to an extent combat is its own art, even the act of writing is an art unto itself. In the case of writing these days, an artist known as a painter will usually craft an image for the front cover to evoke the essence of the novel and in doing so also entice somepony to want to read it.”

The sound of enthusiastic munching at her salad was the only response the umbra alicorn got from the filly, “Your majesty,” came a deep masculine voice the right and behind of the mare, the new voice surprised Dream so much she stopped eating and looked to the dark coated mare for something to ease her sense of fear.

“What is it Major Rune Wing?” Replied the mare, “It had best be important, as I am spending some bonding time with mine student.”

“Of course, my princess,” said Rune Wing, “your court is due to resume in two hours, my superiors believed it best that you were given a reminder this night at regular half hour intervals starting at two hours before the appointed time while outside the the throne room.”

“We thank thee,” said Luna as she made half lidded eye gesture and turned around, Dream followed the motion. What was standing behind them was bat winged pony that had a dark brown coat, dark gray mane, dark blue wings and the armor that signified he was part of the the Lunar Guard, complete with a helmet that effectively hid his ears. “We would also like to remind thee that any acts to direct our actions will reflect poorly on thine commanding officers, immensely. Deliver the message that if they try anything beyond simple reminders and notes for when WE would ask of them that they can look forward to demotion and notice that if they ever put another hoof out of line beyond that point they can look forward to a dishonorable discharge.”

“At once your majesty,” said Rune Wing with a salute before taking flight out the window above.

“I've... never seen a pony like that before,” said Dream.

“The thestrals are my exclusive guards,” said Luna, “they take up the entirety of my wing of the Equestrian royal guard and a little over seventy percent make up my House Guard, they are indeed ponies like no other. Back when Celestia and I were first ruling together several pegasus clans swore fealty to me, as a reward I blessed them with the appearance and abilities they have now.”

“How many pegasus clans made the oath?”

“Seventy-Three, but when Nightmare Moon was banished they went into hiding, there are now over seventy different hidden thestral colonies around Equestia, and each hold at least two or three clans.”

“I'm not that good at math, but wouldn't that mean there are more clans than when you first graced them with your magic?”

“Yes,” said the umbra alicorn with a curt nod, which dream took as a sign to return to her food, she dipped her spoon into still warm pudding, it was at this point Luna noticed some traces of the salad dressing on the filly's muzzle and began to giggle.

“What is it?” Inquired Dream, stopping her slightly overloaded spoon of rice pudding a little over a foot from her muzzle.

Instead of answering Luna floated the napkin from the seat in front of Dream and wiped the muzzle of the filly gently before saying, “I think we need a bath, we have the time,” she looked at the uneaten food and floated a small bell that was cleverly hidden in the aesthetic of the night themed table they were sitting at and rang it.

A pegasus mare with a dark green coat and bright blue mane and tail trotted in and said, “Of how can I be of service your majesty?”

“We were notified of an urgent matter that has made our meal be cut short, if you would so kind as to take all the appropriate short term preservation steps and send the containers to the private greeting room in my wing, my student and I would like to finish our meal there,” she gestured for Dream to take her bite and set the spoon down, which the filly did, “also we would like to have all provisions for our private bathing area checked on in the next three hours, but for the moment we will be attending to frehening up for court, which tonight will include making this young filly presentable.”

“Understood your highness,” said the mare and trotted out.

“It pains me say it, but” Luna rose from her seat and gestured for Dream to follow her, which the filly did, once they were half way to the entrance to Luna's private wing, she said, “It would seem some of the etiquette forced on you Bridleton must be put to use soon, by that I mean that you will accompany me to the throne room and sit quietly as best you can at my side, if you must excuse yourself just say the expression 'if you would be so kind as to excuse me' and one of my guards will assist in leading you from the room.”

“Okay, but don't you need to wash up too,” said Dream, mostly trying to change subjects.

“I took care of that during my regular routine,” replied Luna, “but I am still looking forward to assisting you cleaning up.

**************************************

It was a few minutes later in Luna's private bathing area, which looked more like a private indoor pool than a place to get a quick shower. Dream just stared at the sight with awe, her ears flicked when heard the echoing sound of Luna trotting a short ways off before the sound of a knob being slightly turned was heard, this was followed by the sound of a small waterfall. Looking over at the bathing area Dream saw six light waterfalls near the middle of the bathing area, which had a raised area she hadn't really been able to figure out until the water started flowing. It was all made to look like one was trotting through the night sky.

The sound magic lifting something was followed by a small bottle of something that said 'coat wash' on the side and and slightly larger bottle that said 'mane cleanser and conditioner', Dream wondered what that was all about. Luna motioned for Dream to get into the 'pool', which the filly did, up to just a little beyond her chest.

Dream waited patiently, then was surprised when a mass of warm bath water fell over her followed by Luna's chuckling at the filly's surprised look, which was made more adorable by her reaction to Luna's magic picking her up entirely into the air and lathering her coat and mane with small blobs of yellow and blue goo. Once the filly was fulled covered in suds, so much that she looked like she was turning into a bubble monster, much to Luna's amusement, she was floated in Luna's magic to stand under one of the waterfalls.

Ten minutes later, while Luna was drying the filly off with a towel, that bore the mare's emblem, Dream said with mock anger, “That wasn't funny, but,” she changed to a genuinely cheery voice, “I enjoyed anyway.”

“Yes, well,” said Luna with a smile you barely bathe, and I really wanted to do that.” A few seconds after Luna finished drying Dream off the filly's coat suddenly puffed up to point she looked like some kind of fluff ball, her mane and tail did the same, this caused Luna to burst out in a loud, and very obvious, laugh of amusement.

Trotting up to one of the door sized mirrors she had noticed on her gawking Dream looked at her reflection and followed Luna's example. The two laughed for a good four minutes before their laughter died down to slight chuckles and Luna motioned for Dream to follow her, the filly did as she was beckoned. They left the bathing room and entered a well hidden room across hall before Luna closed the disguised door. Inside was a room that would make the greatest styling room or dressing room to shame. This was done in an aesthetic more appealing to Luna, that is to say it looked like a mass of dreams had been woven into massive tapestry before being laid in the room in such a way to make it look as if those that stepped in were walking amongst dreams, it was much brighter and cheerier feeling than all the other places that adorned Luna's wing.

“This is our private preparation room, which is reserved for important formal events,” said Luna, “I did the whole place up myself, everywhere else in my wing things were delegated by Our sister.”

“It's like we stepped into the realm of dreams,” said Dream Step with excitement, “when will you teach me about doing so? I haven't had any slips of stepping into anypony's dreams since I got here, it's nice having my own dreams!”

Luna chuckled a bit before saying, “I remember when I discovered my talent for moving amongst the dreams of others, I was a bit like you in the regard I had difficulty controlling it, that's how I found out about Tia's immense sweet tooth.”

Dream giggled a bit, she then went to sit in front of one of the mirrors, with a menagerie of mane, coat, and tail care products. Luna expertly started brushing the unruly fur and hair with a pair of brushes. “You know,” said Luna with a smile, “I've often imagined myself doing something like this with my daughter once I had her, I just know my first foal is going to be a filly, and she'll be as beautiful as the night with a heart just as pretty, she'd have my sense of aesthetics and her father's sensibilities I suspect.” Luna smiled when she was done, all the unruly fluff was accounted for, “Come, let us head to the throne room to make ready for court, no doubt our guard is looking for us at this point, it's a good hour until We must attend to the court.”

******************************************

It was a half hour until Court was do start when the two made it to the throne room doors, most of the time the mare and filly could have spent playing games in the throne room, something Luna said she had intended on the way out of her secret room, because Luna had seen fit to argue with her guards that had found them and berate them for treating her like an irresponsible foal. Therefore Luna and a slightly amused Dream were just now entering the throne room. Looking about to ensure nopony had decided to enter the throne room without permission Luna motioned to a place near the throne for Dream to make herself comfortable.

“Pinkie's been really busy, she hasn't been able to throw you the party she promised just yet,” said Luna as she looked over at Dream. Dream for her part was looking like she was mildly comfortable sitting in the spot Luna had indicated, “are you worried about what the festivties might be like?”

Dream just lightly nodded, Luna's attention was returned to the the doors when one of her attendents, a thestral mare in full armor with a dark indigo orange coat that that was almost black. “Your majesty,” her voice had a bit of a slight screech to it, “not many have come to you for the night, however some are acting as if the allotted time we set is a mere guideline and attempting to have us open the entryway for them.”

Luna gave a deep sigh before saying under her breath, just barely loud enough for Dream to hear, “It would seem the worst of Equestrian nobility is at the front of the line again,” she sat up and made a stoic pose, after gesturing for Dream to do the same, then after preparing herself she said, “send in the first partitioner, and let us pray that what they bring before us is worthy of our time.”

The mare nodded and opened the door as she said, “Presenting his great lordship, Prince High Hold,” an near inaudible groan escaped Luna while she held her position.

A light green unicorn stallion in an overly flamboyant coat of colors that were a wonderful example of what not to wear stepped in, the clashing bright colors assailed the eye of Luna and Dream, she was thankful the filly had enough sense to shut her eyes and await the stallion's departure, Luna herself was not as fortunate due to long standing royal protocols. “Your majesty,” said the unicorn in a a self-important tone, “I am currently working on a project to improve the culture of this city.”

“I have heard of this project of yours,” said Luna with a hint of disinterest, “and I can most as how much you have poured into this project of yours and what its nature really is. Rumors and hearsay are not a good place to begin something such as this.”

“Of course your majesty,” said High Hold, “my project involves placing a new pool with gorgeous statues of all four princesses, and as of this night I have personally sunk forty-thousand bits into an account for the project, for ones such as us that is closer to a drop in the bucket and it is my hope that the seven million bits are in the account by this time next week.”

“I see,” said Luna eying the flamboyant stallion with disinterest, “have you run this project by our sister? What did she have to say?”

“Well do to the fact you are the greater patron of the arts, oh mare of night, I thought it best to run this by you before anypony else.”

“Is that so,” said Luna evenly, “I am sorry to say, but your project will have to be denied, and I want you to take all those bits you've sunk into the project and put them to reinforcing the infrastructure of our nation. We can not afford to waste resources on improving the capitol of our great nation when there is a chance that a well traveled bridge is in need of repairs, leave now. I will inform all relevant parties of my decision, and it is my hope that next I see you that you are not trying to flatter us for the opportunity to have something that is meant to be public erected only to place a notice that it is intended for 'exclusive use', we have read up on your projects before this one and know full well that the projects on the surface seem to intended for everypony's use only to have the majority of the citizenry barred from entry. We are not to be made fools of, and if you attempt to circumvent the more official channels we will see that thou is given an appropriate sentence.”

The flamboyant stallion stared at the night alicorn in horror, he had chosen his wording carefully. It was then that he noticed a white unicorn filly next to the mare make gesture and whisper something into Luna's ear, she kept her look impassive through the entire exchange and nodded once. “I suggest you leave now, sir,” said the mare that had introduced him and gestured to the door that was intended for ponies to exit.

The stallion begrudgingly left the room.

After whispering that the stallion had left into Dream's ear, causing the filly to once again open her eyes and look around the throne room, Luna said, “Send in the next Pony.”

Much to her delight was an earth pony mare that had no gaudy dress on, all she seemed to be wearing was a wicker hat and a gray cloak that obscured her cutie mark in addition to set of diving goggles around her neck, the mare herself was a dull blue with a sea green mane.

“Presenting, miss Sea Observer,” said the thestral mare.

Sea Observer gave a simple bow and said, “Your majesty, I have been doing research on the sea life near Equestria for several years now, my funding is well within the bounds of what I would like. The reason I am here to see you this night is because of the forty years I have dedicated to the my research I have noticed a discrepancy, that is to say I found a case that does not match the records I have.”

“And what would that be miss Observer? We would like to remind you that our sister is a greater patron of the sciences than us, so why would you come to us with this matter?”

Sea Observer said, “I sent a notice to Princess Celestia a few weeks ago, I just arrived in Canterlot this afternoon and heard your court would be opening again tonight, I figured since this matter has to do with a nocturnal sea creature at the very least you would like to hear me out.”

Luna nodded and said, “Sound reasoning, what is the issue that troubles you?”

“The migration of the great Algae Squids,” said Sea Observer, “they're squids that grow as large as Celestia herself and feed entirely on algae. Once every decade there is an explosion of florescent algae on the banks of Equestria, while mostly harmless the florescent algae can make swimming a bit more difficult at the coast, escpecially since some of the aquatic predators can use as cover. My concern is this, the algae arrived and multiplied as usual as of this night two weeks ago, but squids never arrived to feed on it. I fear something may have happened to them, I have charts that show their migration patterns from the last three decades with me,” she started reaching under her cloak.

Luna raised her hoof and said, “that will not be necessary, we will inform our sister of what you have said to us and arrange for a private meeting of you and her leading specialists in the fields that are of the greatest relevence to this matter,” she turned to the aid near dais, a thestral mare with a midnight green coat and dark blue mane, “make the appropriate notes, send them to be duplicated and send a copy of the transcription of this meeting to our sister posthaste.” The thestral nodded and began looking over her notes from the meeting and began copying them. Sea Observer gave graceful bow and left the room.

“Um, how many more are there tonight?” Inquired Dream.

“An excellent question,” said Luna, turning to the pony that made the declartions she said, “pray tell, how many more wish to see us this night?”

The mare in question looked at a chart she had and said, “It would seem, Princess, only two more this night, I am sorry to say, but it seems your sister is more popular when it comes time for requests.”

“No matter,” said Luna, “things like this usually take more time than we would like, next pony if you would.”

The mare nodded and said, “Presenting his regal grandness,” Luna let out another groan, “Prince Lasting Pinnacle.”

A unicorn stallion with an air of self-importance trotted in. The stallion had a bright azure coat with a nectarine colored mane, “Greetings, your majesty, I would like too...”

“If this is about renovations to the streets and building around your domicile then leave now,” said Luna with great authority, and more irritation bleeding through than she intended, “our sister has already turned down thy request, and if you seek to circumvent her decisions through us then you are sorely misguided in your decisions, we bid thee a good night.”

The stallion grumbled and made his way out. “I didn't do anything and that felt glorious,” said Dream.

Luna smiled for a moment before returning to her neutral look and said, “send in the next, and apparently final pony for tonight.”

The mare nodded and said, “Presenting her greatness,” Luna prepared for another groan, “Princess High Step,” and halted, of all the Canterlot Elite High Step was one of the few ponies who actually practiced what she preached. High Step was the head of the Equestrian Foal Safety Ministry, and while those under her purview were subject to corruption it was usually High Step that ended up filing the documentation that got those ponies fired for failure to comprehend certain details.

In walked a sunny orange mare with a nocturnal blue mane with a cutie mark that looked like an apple, banana and mango with big green check next them. Luna was confused, High Step usually discussed things with Celestia. So, why was she here? She got her answer when she heard High Step said in her maternal sounding squeaky voice, “I heard you were looking after a foal, and I just had come and see her.” Looking over she saw the filly in question, “So, this must be Dream Step? She's very cute, and pretty.”
Dream looked around like she didn't know what to do, Luna facewinged before saying, “Guards, this mare is harmless please leave the room until otherwise instructed and close the doors behind you. And whatever you hear do not enter without my expressed order.” The Guards nodded and left, and closed the door behind them.

The moment the doors were closed High Step gave loud, “Sqeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,” before coming a more reasonable tone and said, “she is so adorable! Can I cuddle her? Please.”

Luna rolled her eyes just as Dream said, “Please don't ask questions about me when I'm right in front of you, I had those done in the demeaning way before I came under her care,” she motioned to Luna, “my name is Dream Step, what does 'cuddle' mean?”

“She just wants to hug you close and fuss over you,” Luna with a chuckle, “sort of like... a doting aunt.”

“Oh,” said Dream, “my mother never allowed anything like that, in fact my grandmother didn't even do anything like that. I had very few happy dreams in those days, but one of the good dreams I had I was being doted on by a pair of mares, trying to remember now I can't remember their voices or even what they look like, it's like I was being pampered by silent silhouettes.”

Every filly deserves to be doted on or pampered, preferably both,” said High Step, “it's one of the reasons I do extensive background checks on all ponies seeking to foster a foal. Although,” she gave a disapproving look at Luna, “the princesses did circumvent me on this one.”

“Um, what dos she do?”

“Oh, me” said High Step, “I'm the head of the Ministry of Foal safety, bureaucracy is far from my talent,” she indicated to her cutie mark, “I started out making foal foods, that's what my cutie mark means, quality control on foods that were made for foals. There were a lot of problems with government organizations that were supposed to oversee the wellbeing of foals, so a few years ago the princesses formed a new ministry to oversee them all.”

“And High Step was chosen to be its head, she was also given the honorary title of princess to help reinforce that she was of the same social rank as any of Canterlot's nobility. We chose her specifically because of her interest in the wellbeing of foals, although she usual reports to my sister.”

“Oh,” said Dream, she trotted down to the foot of the dais, “I want to feel what it's like to be cuddled, just once.”

High Step took it as an invitations and glomp tackled the filly before pulling her into a cuddle, it took a lot of effort for Luna to not laugh at the scene before falling over at the ensuing cuteness of the filly showing a happy, yet confused, face while in the midst of being cuddled. The scene of happy confusion was just so cute to Luna, she'd always had a soft spot for foals, but seeing a foal but cute in this way was almost too much for her. The scene was made far more precious by the fact that after her initial confusion Dream was giving a big grin and showed every sign she liked it.

“Is this the only reason you're here? Or is there actually something you have to discuss with us?”

“Oh, right,” said High Step giving Dream a quick mane ruffle before releasing the filly from her embrace, “it seems that some of orphanages in Canterlot have been closed down without so much as a warning, and by that I haven't gotten so much as a memo or invoice before the news that the facilities had been shut down. Every time I try to contact Princess Celestia or Prince Blueblood about it the message never gets through, or something prevents my impromptu meetings with them. Frankly, I'm surprised that I was able to see you tonight. I guess some influential ponies are still of the mind that you aren't as influential as you should be.”

“This requires careful investigation,” said Luna, “we will tell our sister and have members of every guard accompany whomever is decided to transit to your office for a copy of everything you have. We will also call for a meeting with Blueblood to ensure he is aware a copy of your files on the matter is intended for your office. It is troubling that somepony would go through so much trouble to keep the royal family in the dark.”

“It might turn into a meeting that takes up a considerable amount of your time,” said Dream, “what will we do about it?”

“Worry about it when the time comes,” said Luna, “however we will look into finding somepony to keep our charge secure during such times.”

“Miss Luna, we still have breakfast to finish,” said Dream.

“Quite right,” said Luna, “we hope our next meeting is more favorable, High Step, good evening. Guards, you may return, and please escort miss Step to where she needs to be.”

The doors opened and the guards entered, High Step gave a bow and thanked Luna for her time before heading out.

**************************************

It was almost a half hour after the two had departed from the throne room and were now in the room Luna had designated. Instead of the general nighttime aesthetic that seemed to dominate her wing, which seemed a little excessive to Luna at times, this room was much more subtle. While the walls, floor and ceiling were a general night black, the room itself was decorated with a variety of nocturnal flowers that were arranged in such a way that they appeared to form the constellations all throughout the room.

Luna was enjoying the night air as it flowed into the room, what made this all the more wonderful for her was the fact that Dream was enjoying a meal with her in the room. Dream had emptied her salad bowl, was mostly finished with the pudding and was currently on her fifth cup of juice. Luna by comparison was only half done with both her pudding and salad, with her second glass only a third finished.

“I take it you enjoyed your meal,” said Luna with a grin.

Dream nodded before saying, “I found beyond satisfying, I don't understand why we were forced to have the diet we did in Bridleton.”

“Perhaps it was means of controlling you,” said Luna, “we've had this discussion a few time already, why are you so fixated on the part of your life that seems to have stunted your ability to grow into something more than you are? I know you feel bad about leaving your big sister behind, but it was her choice and for good or bad choices are always something to be respected, they are show that the ones who made them has the ability to decide for themselves.”

“I know, we've discussed this a few times already, doesn't make my missing her any more distressing that it already was. She's so bright and beautiful, but never gets her chance to really shine.”

“The shadow of of expectations can sometimes be daunting.”

“It's not expectations when it comes to Great Spell and Grand Charm, it's more like demands from on high with them.”

“I'm sure it wasn't that bad, you said you had some good times.”

“When my parents and grandmother were not imposing their sense of order on me, you'll understand when you see my dreams. I'm ashamed to say it, especially since I'm pretty sure it isn't very healthy, but every bad memory and nightmare I've ever had is in a vault I created to hold them back. I'll lead you to it when you're ready.”

“You are right to believe that something such as that is unhealthy, when did craft it?”

“The first night we were away from the the manor, it is my eternal shame that I thought that something such as that was a good idea.”

“Sometimes the best way to learn something is to make a mistake, the important thing is that you know it was a bad thing to do. I'm a little hurt that you would only now be telling me this, but I understand and together we'll work on making it so that when we let all of that out it is a much healthier manner. Actually I think it might work out better for us this way?”

“How?”

“That will become evident in time, for now let us merely enjoy the night before I have to lower the moon for my sister's sun.”