• ...
20
 91
 1,927

Rainbow Balks

Author's Note:

This scene comes from the Equestria Girls universe. In baseball, a pitcher can commit a number of illegal motions or actions that constitute a balk. Most of these violations involve a pitcher pretending to pitch when (s)he has no intention of doing so.

Rainbow Dash walked off the baseball diamond dejectedly. The game had been theirs for the taking, and she had blown it. She kicked at the dirt, growling. "Balk? Who's even heard of a balk? Such a stupid rule! Stupid umpire! Stupid rule! Stupid game!"

Applejack walked over from the rapidly emptying stands. "Hey, Sugarcube."

"Not right now, AJ. Not in the mood."

"But--"

Rainbow spun around. "I said 'not right now!'"

"Well, okay then."

"Sorry to yell. Just...thanks."

Rainbow Dash disappeared into the locker rooms, her friends looking on.

"Well, let's not all act like we're surprised. It's rude to stare." Rarity chirped.

"Oh come on, we're all thinking the same thing," Applejack countered.

"Yes, I suppose you're right dear. There's no use denying it."

"Um... what are we all thinking? I'm afraid I'm not thinking it." Fluttershy muttered meekly.

"That girl's going stir-crazy. We can't wait until the soccer off season ends." Applejack informed her.

"Yeah!" Pinkie said, coming back from the concessions stand with a mouth full of sour gummies. "And when Rainbow's restless, Rainbow balks!"