• Published 16th Oct 2014
  • 900 Views, 7 Comments

The Fab and the Beautiful - BronyDad



Rarity leaves to run a shop in Canterlot, but when a romance blossoms, her relationship with Spike becomes strained.

  • ...
4
 7
 900

Closing Doors

Chapter 2

Closing Doors

As Rarity finished packing the last of her supplies, she zipped up the travel bag, and levitating it high into the air, carefully added it to the top of the heaping pile of luggage that was stacked in the back corner of the room. After watching it for a moment to ensure that it would not topple over, she then glanced out the window at the clock tower.

"It isn't even one o'clock yet," she mumbled to herself. "I finished packing much sooner than I anticipated."

Rarity stared off at the distant forest and mused about what she could do with the remainder of her day. She still had several hours before Sweetie Belle came over, perhaps she could have a nice relaxing lunch out by the lake.

This being Rarity's final night in Ponyville, she had invited Sweetie Belle to a sleepover. Her little sister had been upset to hear that she was leaving, but had perked right up at the mention of a night that the two of them could share.

Rarity smiled as she watched a pair of squirrels chase each other around a tree. There were few things that she enjoyed more than spending time with her sister, and she couldn't wait for their special night to began.

A sudden knock on the door interrupted her thoughts. "Come in."

"Hey, Rarity," Twilight greeted as she stepped into the room.

"Twilight! What a pleasant surprise!" Rarity smiled as she flipped her mane. "I was just thinking of having lunch out by the lake. Would you care to join me?"

"No, thanks," Twilight replied. "Actually, I wanted to ask you for a favor."

"Of course! What do you need?"

Turning away and staring out the window, Twilight said, "I hate to ask this of you, but would you mind coming to the library sometime today and having a talk with Spike? He's been really down the last couple of days. He thinks that you won't have time for him anymore, and that you'll forget about him once you're in Canterlot."

"We certainly can't have that now, can we?" Rarity started toward the door. "I'll come with you and talk to him right now."

Clearly relieved, Twilight said, "That would be great. Thanks Rarity."

As they exited the Carousel Boutique and crossed the bridge that led to the marketplace, Rarity studied her friend. After a moment, she asked, "What's wrong, Twilight?"

Twilight shrugged. "I just don't like seeing Spike this upset. Usually when he gets like this, I try to reassure his feelings as well as I can without putting any additional pressure on you. But now that you're leaving...it's getting harder."

Rarity shook her head. "I didn't realize that my decision had placed you in such a difficult situation." Slowing to a halt, Rarity nuzzled Twilight's cheek. "You don't need to worry about Spike, he'll be fine. I'll remind him how important his friendship is to me, and that he always has a special place in my heart."

Twilight threw her forelegs around Rarity's neck. "You're a great friend," she stated warmly. "I'm really going to miss you."

"Me too, darling," Rarity said as she returned the hug. "I'll visit as often as possible."

As she followed Twilight through town, Rarity couldn't help but feel ashamed for the lack of sympathy she had shown toward Spike.

On the afternoon of Fashion Forward's visit, Rarity had been so absorbed with finding the perfect dress for her shop's grand opening that it had taken her a while to notice that Spike had left. Upon realizing that he had left without a single word, she had considered heading to the library to talk to him, but after glancing at the small pile of dresses that she needed to try on, she decided to wait for the morning.

Unfortunately, instead of visiting Spike the following morning, she had gone to her parents to tell them the news, and had ended up dealing with a distraught Sweetie Belle. By the time that she had satisfied Sweetie Belle with the proposition of a sleepover, she had forgotten all about Spike.

With all of the last minute errands she had to run and all the bags she needed to pack, Rarity's last week in Ponyville had been a flurry of activity. But now she realized just how selfish she had been. She could have easily squeezed in a quick visit to Spike, but simply hadn't thought it was that important. Thanks to her error in judgment, Spike had spent the last several days being completely miserable.

As they approached the library, Rarity allowed Twilight to open the door and then stepped inside. Immediately, Owlowiscious swooped down and landed on Rarity's outstretched hoof. Hooting happily, he allowed her to scratch his head before returning to his perch next to the window.

"Spike!" Twilight called. "There's somepony here to see you!"

"Be right down!" they heard him reply from upstairs. A moment later, he bounded down the stairs but came to an abrupt halt upon catching sight of Rarity. "Oh...hi Rarity."

"Spikey-wikey, I've heard that you're upset," Rarity said in a kind voice. "Whatever has been troubling you?"

Spike cocked an eyebrow as he turned his gaze to Twilight, who suddenly went rigid. "Uh...I've got something to do...outside." Quickly spinning around, she hurriedly left the library.

Rarity watched Spike as he clasped his hands behind his back and began to poke at the floorboards with a clawed toe. "Spike?" she urged.

After several long moments, Spike finally lifted his gaze to meet hers, and she felt a sudden stab of heartache upon seeing the tears in his eyes. "I don't want you to leave," he sniffed. "I'm afraid that you'll forget about me."

Rarity lifted a hoof and pulled the little dragon into a hug. "I could never forget you, Spike. You'll always be my special little guy."

Placing his hands on her chest, he pushed away in order to look up at her face. "Really?"

Rarity lowered her head and gently placed her nose against his. "Really." As a deep blush began to spread across his cheeks, Rarity couldn't help herself. Pulling him into a tight embrace, she nuzzled him affectionately. "Your friendship means the world to me, Spike, and that won't ever change. No matter how far away I am."

Although she would ordinarily worry that she was taking this too far, she felt that this was a special case, and held him for several minutes before releasing him.

As he stumbled backward, his eyes glazed over and his little chest heaving as he panted, Rarity smiled. Toying with the spine on his head, she said, "I'll see you tomorrow at the train station."

"Y-yeah," he stammered. "S-see you then."

Rarity exited the library and made her way toward Twilight, who was sitting in the grass and watching her anxiously.

"How is he?" she asked hesitantly as Rarity drew near.

"A bit disorientated," Rarity answered with a giggle. When Twilight only stared at her in confusion, she added, "I just reminded him of how important he is to me."

"Good." Twilight grinned. "I'd better get back in there." As she started toward the door, she looked over her shoulder. "Thanks, Rarity. I'll see you tomorrow."

Rarity waved and then headed back toward the Carousel Boutique.

She hoped that she had done enough to help Spike overcome his worries. How could she have been so inconsiderate toward him? Silently chastening herself, she entered her home and prepared a quick lunch.

I'll have to do something extra special at the train station tomorrow. Something that will stay with him and remind him that I care for him. And I know just what to do.

That thought made her feel much better. Spike would certainly forget his worries and be able to cope with her leaving Ponyville, which in turn would make things easier for the rest of them. Especially Twilight.

Happy with her decision, Rarity packed her lunch in a wicker basket and carried it to the lake just outside of town.

While she ate, she gazed at the gleaming surface of the water. She had come here often during difficult orders, and the natural beauty always inspired her when she needed it the most. She suddenly wondered if she would find somewhere in Canterlot as special as this spot, but then cast her worry aside as she remembered the city's glamour and elegance.

Finished with her meal, Rarity looked out over the lake for a final time before making her way back to town.

She spent the rest of her free time cleaning up the inspiration room well enough to be a suitable place for her sister to spend the night, and then began to ready the kitchen for their evening meal.

Before long, she heard the shop door open and Sweetie Belle calling. Smiling pleasantly, Rarity left the kitchen to meet her sister.

The two of them spent the evening playing games and talking about the Cutie Mark Crusaders and school. After dinner, Rarity allowed Sweetie Belle to help in the creation of a new dress, and although Rarity felt that it could have gone better, the two of them thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

Sweetie Belle's excitement kept her going late into the night, but finally, she gave into exhaustion. Picking up the little filly with her magic, Rarity placed her gently on the bed and tucked her in.

She leaned forward and kissed her sister on the forehead. "Good night, Sweetie. I'm going to miss you."

Quietly shutting the door behind her, Rarity turned and gazed at the empty clothing racks and bare mannequins that lined the back wall, and then looked at the pedestal with its three full length mirrors.

She was really going to miss this place. Her first real interactions with Twilight and Spike, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy had all been right here in this room.

There were so many pleasant memories that, for the first time, Rarity seriously considered backing out of her deal with Fashion Forward, but then strengthened her resolve.

She needed to do this. She couldn't stay in this little town all of her life, not if she wanted to become the top fashion designer of her dreams. Besides, it would be wrong of her to back out on Fashion Forward at the last moment. She had made an agreement with the stallion, and she was going to keep it.

Full of excitement for the day ahead, Rarity headed upstairs and climbed into bed. She slept soundly, her dreams filled with beautiful dresses and mares enthusiastically trying them on.

Without warning, she was awakened by Sweetie Belle, who was jumping up and down on her bed. "Rarity, wake up! Today's your big day! We've gotta get you all prettified before the train comes!"

"All right, I'm up. I'm up!" Rarity growled as she pushed her little sister off of the bed.

Politely covering her mouth as she yawned, Rarity climbed out of bed and trotted groggily down the hall to the bathroom.

Wanting to look her best for her first day in Canterlot, Rarity left nothing to chance.

She drew hot water for her bath, then slipped inside the tub, and using the finest scented soaps that she had, vigorously scrubbed her coat, mane, and tail.

After drying herself, she spent nearly a full hour brushing her hair and adding just the right amount of hairspray to give her mane and tail that buoyancy bounce that she loved so much. Then came the false eyelashes and the mascara, and finally, she sprayed a single squirt of the most expensive perfume she owned before turning and gazing at herself lovingly in the mirror.

"Oh, Rarity, you have outdone yourself this time."

With a small giggle, she packed all of her soaps, mascara and the bottle of perfume into a small pouch and carried it downstairs. Very carefully, she sat the tiny bag on top of the stack of luggage, and then made a pouty face as the entire pile crumpled to the floor.

As she let out an indignant sigh over the toppled bags, she suddenly caught a whiff of smoke. Remembering Sweetie Belle, Rarity rushed into the kitchen and found her little sister waiting for her.

"I made toast!" Sweetie Belle beamed as she held up a small plate on which sat two blackened lumps while behind her the toaster sparked and caught fire.

With a small scream, Rarity raced toward the toaster, and quickly unplugging it, placed a thick towel over top of it to smother the flame.

Sweetie Belle grinned sheepishly. "Sorry, Rarity."

"It's quite all right," Rarity assured her. "Just try to be more careful."

Sweetie Belle reached into a cabinet and pulled out a skillet. "I'm gonna whip us up a mean bunch of grits!" she announced.

"Uh, no thanks, Sweetie," Rarity said hurriedly as she tilted her horn and snatched the skillet away from her sister. "I, um...just brushed my teeth."

Just then, Rarity heard a knock at her front door. "Now, who could that be?"

Quickly trotting toward the front of the shop, Rarity opened the door and found a grinning Applejack standing outside.

"Howdy, Rarity! How's your last mornin' in Ponyville goin'?"

"Oh, it's been rather..." They both winced at the loud bang from the kitchen. "...exciting."

Applejack laughed. "Yeah, Apple Bloom mentioned that Sweetie Belle was stayin' the night, so I reckoned you'd have your hooves full." Indicating a wheel barrel sitting beside her, she said, "I just came by to let ya borrow this here wheel barrel."

Rarity blinked. "And what, pray tell, would I do with that?"

"It's to help whatever poor sap ya got carryin' all your luggage to the train station." Applejack cocked an eyebrow. "Who ya got doin' it, anyway?"

Rarity shrugged. "Probably Sweetie Belle." When she saw the dirty look that Applejack was giving her, she exclaimed, "What? Sweetie Belle loves helping me! And I can't do it myself, I'd get all icky and sweaty and all the time I spent beautifying myself would go to waste."

Applejack shook her head. "Rarity, you are somethin' else."

Rarity scowled. "And what is that supposed to mean?"

"Nothin'." Applejack gripped the handles of the wheel barrel and lifted it off the ground. "How's bout I carry your things to the train station?"

"That would be splendid," Rarity replied.

"Good to hear," Applejack said as she pushed the wheel barrel into the shop. Upon noticing all the luggage strewn about the floor, Applejack came to an abrupt halt. "Whoa Nelly!" She studied the doorframe for a moment, then turned to Rarity. "We're gonna have to take all of this outside. It ain't ever gonna get through this door if we load it in here."

While Applejack took the wheel barrel back outside, Rarity began sending out her travel bags one at a time.

A moment later, Sweetie Belle came rushing out of the kitchen. "I can help too!" she cried as she enthusiastically gathered up six different bags and awkwardly stumbled out of the shop.

Before long, all of the luggage was outside and loaded onto the wheel barrel. Taking a final look around her beloved shop, Rarity strapped a saddlebag around herself and exited.

As she heard the audible click of the latch, Rarity felt as though she had just closed the door to a part of her life as well. She had always known that she would leave it behind someday, but now that she was actually doing it, it was proving much more difficult than she had ever imagined.

Rarity was suddenly set upon by a barrage of emotions as she gazed at the two blue diamonds that her father had painstakingly painted on her front door, then lifted slightly to the closed sign that was nailed to the door, and finally rose to the bedroom windows on the second floor.

She recalled her excitement when her parents had agreed to purchase the then abandoned building for her, the thrill of moving in and having a place all to herself, and the sense of accomplishment when she had finally paid her parents back. She remembered the first dress she ever created here, and the first sale she had made.

Without warning, her eyes began to fill with tears, and with a sniffle, she carefully unzipped one of her bags and removed a handkerchief. Worried that she would ruin her mascara, Rarity dabbed at her wet eyes delicately.

Applejack put a hoof around her shoulders. "It's okay, sugar cube. It'll always be here if ya need it." Giving her a quick squeeze, she smiled. "And so will all of us."

Sweetie Belle moved forward and hugged her tightly. Nuzzling her chin, the little filly said, "Yeah, and you're gonna be so busy living your dream that you won't even miss this place."

Rarity lovingly stroked her sister's mane. "You're right, of course. Thank you, Sweetie. And you too, Applejack," she added as she nuzzled her friend affectionately.

Rarity pulled herself free from their embrace and took a deep breath. "I'm ready."

As she followed the others across the bridge, Rarity turned to look at the Carousel Boutique for a final time, and then continued toward the train station.

All of her friends and the remaining members of the Cutie Mark Crusaders greeted her as she arrived.

She returned their greeting and then went straight to Fluttershy. "How is my Opalescence faring?"

Fluttershy beamed. "Very well. She's already made herself at home." She giggled timidly. "She claimed Angel's favorite spot on the couch the other day. He wasn't very happy, but I'm sure he'll be fine."

Rarity hugged her gently. "Thank you ever so much for agreeing to watch her."

"It's no trouble at all, really." Fluttershy brushed her mane out of her face. "Just send me a letter when you're ready for her, and I'll be on the next train to Canterlot."

"I'm really going to miss your company," Rarity replied. "Especially at the spa."

Rainbow Dash stepped forward. "Get up there and show those fussy ponies what a mare from Ponyville can do!" Raising a hoof into the air, Rainbow said, "Knock 'em dead, Rare!"

With a chuckle, Rarity hoof bumped Rainbow. "You bet!"

Applejack hugged her tightly. "It just ain't gonna be the same without you fussin' bout every little goll-darn thing in town."

"I too will have trouble getting along without your crude attitude and uncouth behavior," Rarity retorted. "I've just grown so fond of them."

As Applejack wiped away a tear, Pinkie Pie suddenly shoved a letter into Rarity's face. "I wrote you a letter!"

Rarity stumbled backward but managed to keep her balance as she accepted the letter. It was addressed to her, and even had a stamp.

She scratched her head. "Uh...okay. Thank you, Pinkie."

"Open it, open it, open it!" Pinkie cried, hopping up and down.

Rarity broke the seal and pulled the letter out of the envelop. As her eyes landed on the 'dear Rarity' greeting, she cocked an eyebrow. "Pinkie, what is-"

"Read it out loud!" Pinkie suggested excitedly.

"All right..." Rarity turned her gaze to the paper hovering before her. "How are things in Canterlot? I hope that you are settled in by now." Glancing at Twilight, Rarity was amused to see her friend roll her eyes. "Things are going great back here in Ponyville. Just the other day, Sweetie Belle sang a super sweet song for a school play."

Exasperated, Rarity lowered the letter. "Pinkie, I know about Sweetie's song. I was sitting right next to you."

"Just keep reading!" Pinkie urged.

With a loud sigh, Rarity continued. "I hope that your new shop is doing really well, and that you have lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of customers. Your loving friend..." Rarity paused to sniff the bottom of the letter. "Did you sign your name in frosting?"

"Sure did!"

Rarity laughed. "Thank you for your sentiments, Pinkie. I promise I will write back as soon as I can."

Pinkie beamed at her friend, but then was startled by the sudden toot of the arriving train. A shroud of sadness seemed to fall over the small group as they silently watched the train come to a slow stop.

A moment later, an attendant stepped off the train, and seeing the wheel barrel full of luggage, he frowned at them. Grumbling to himself, he gripped the handles and wheeled the bags toward the back of the train to be loaded.

As the attendant walked away, Twilight said, "I know it's still a couple of months away, but don't forget about Spike's birthday party." She indicated Spike standing off to the side with a tilt of her head. "It would mean the world to him if you could make it."

She cast a quick glance at Spike and smiled. "In that case, I'll make certain to be there."

Twilight embraced her. "Take care."

Rarity gazed at her sister and her friends. Crouching down, she nuzzled each of the three fillies in turn. "I'm going to miss all of your escapades of destruction. You three drove me so crazy that I nearly pulled my hair out on several occasions." With an amiable smile, she added, "And I loved every moment of it."

Rarity scooped up her little sister and held her close. "You mind mom and dad now, Sweetie." She ruffled the filly's mane. "And I don't want to hear about you doing anything crazy, such as your Cutie Mark Crusader Fencer idea."

Sweetie Belle giggled. "I'll be more careful. Promise."

As she set her little sister back down, Rarity finally turned her attention to Spike. Batting her eyelashes, she smiled. "Spike, things simply will not be the same without you visiting me in my shop. Your charming personality and darling antics have brightened my day on more than one occasion, and I'm going to miss you terribly."

Spike sniffled. "I'm gonna miss you, too."

When his eyes began to well up with tears, Rarity's horn began to glow with a bluish light as she removed an item from her saddlebag. Holding it up in the air, she heard everypony around her gasp when they saw what it was.

"Spike, I want you to have this, so that you will never forget just how important you are to me." Beaming brightly, she fixed the fire ruby around his neck.

With wide eyes, Spike stammered, "B-but you love this jewel!"

"Indeed, it is, without a doubt, my most prized possession." She then leaned forward and kissed him on the cheek.

She heard his sharp intake of breath as his eyes widened further. Patting him on the head, she spoke softly, "But I value you much more."

Spike simply stood there with his mouth hung open as his cheeks began to glow. Upon noticing that everypony was standing around and grinning at him, his blush deepened.

Twilight trotted to his side and hugged him as she beamed at Rarity. With a single tear running down her cheek, she mouthed, Thank you.

Just as Rarity was about to respond, the train conductor suddenly called, "All aboard!"

Gazing at all her friends, she said, "Well, I guess that's my cue."

Rarity paused as she was boarding the train, and glanced back to see Spike cradling the fire ruby affectionately. With a smile, she entered the train and found an empty car toward the back. Opening the window, she stuck her head out and called, "Bye! I'll write often, and visit as soon as I'm able."

Her friends waved and said their farewells as the train started to move. Although they all wore large smiles, she knew that they felt the same heavy sadness that was nestled deep within her.

As the train pulled away and began to pick up speed, Rarity saw Pinkie galloping along beside her window. "Goodbye, Rarity! I'll miss you!"

Laughing, Rarity waved until her friend was out of sight.

With a heavy heart and her stomach fluttering with nervous excitement, Rarity leaned back in her chair. Staring out the window, her thoughts turned toward the new life awaiting her in Canterlot.

Author's Note:

I am going to be placing this story on hiatus for the time being. For more information as to why, here's my blog. My sincerest apologies to those of you who are really enjoying this fic. I promise that this fic will be finished eventually, it just may take a while.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment