• Published 22nd Apr 2012
  • 14,121 Views, 592 Comments

A Changeling of Heart - Thorax

  • ...
58
 592
 14,121

Chapter 2: Given a Chance

"Stupid ponies" muttered the bound changeling queen "I don't need your stupid Ice cream anyways." a tinge of sadness creeping into her voice. I love ice cream she silently thought to herself.

Chrysalis did her best to loosen the binds that held her to the bed. However, her captors had proven to be far more talented than she had thought.

"How did they tie so many knots without magic?!" She whined. No longer attempting to untie the bindings instead she was now flailing blindly in an attempt to rip herself loose.

With a sudden snap she managed to pull one of her front hooves free. However her joy was quickly crushed as she realized that it was physically impossible to untie a knot with one hoof.

Luckily for her she had managed to free at least one leg or the facehoof that occurred might have never been.

"I hate everything." she groaned, laying back down in defeat. After several minutes lying in almost complete darkness. Chrysalis began to think of all the possible outcomes. If the old laws remained, she would at least come out alive, ponies didn't execute no matter how harsh the crime. So at the very worst she was going to suffer banishment and at the very best she was probably going to be looking at dungeon walls for the next thousand years.

After some time her thoughts shifted from her own punishments to that of her peoples. Without her they would have no tactical leader. They were already weak and starving before the attack and now they were scattered and injured. Even worse they'd be hunted after news of their existence spread across Equestria. Maybe she could talk Celestia into sparing them.

"Hey there Celestia, I know I stuck you to the ceiling in a goo cocoon. But would you be so kind as to let my people go free because it would be the nice thin-" Herself mocking was cut short as something solid hit the closed window across the room from her.

*Thump* *Thump* rang to more impacts as Chrysalis stared at the closed window only able make out a sliver the closed curtains that hid her from the fleet of guards outside.

"Pssst my queen, are you in there?" came the muffled voice from outside

Chrysalis was surprised she hadn't expected any of the changelings to find her, especially not so quickly after they had been scattered.

"My queen? Are you in there?" rang the voice once again

Chrysalis let a small grin slip across her face; she might make it out of this yet.

"Yes my little changeling, now hurry and release Me." she answered

Through the curtains the Changeling queen could see a soft green glow surround the latch that had secured the window. With a barely audible click the lock was released and the window began to slide upwards the gentle breeze began shifting the curtain. To Chrysalis's surprise it wasn't the hoof of a changeling grab onto the ledge, but instead the hoof of a white pony.

A feeling of dread spread out through the changeling queen as the White Pegasus, his armor a clear indication of his position as a member of a royal guard, pulled himself up through the open window.

"So those ponies decided to turn me in?" growled the bound queen "Should have expected it"

The guard continued to stare at Chrysalis a look of confusion on his face

"My queen what are you talking about? It’s me Thorax, Commander Mandible sent me."

With that all her fears and worries were washed away. Here changelings had come back for her. Sadly for her though they had felt the need to send Thorax, sure he was as loyal as any other Changeling. However, he wasn't the brightest insect in the hive.

"So my little Changeling you seemed to have found quite the disguise. Why don't you untie me and we can discuss how you managed to find me." Using her free hoof to point out the other three bindings that held her to the bed.

With a flash of green flame the white Pegasus was no more, in its place now stood a black changeling completely indistinguishable from any other. Quickly moving over to the bed the Changeling began to cut the binds that held his queen in place. After a few moments all the ropes had been cut and Chrysalis was once again free to move. However, as she made her way towards the bedroom door, she found her path blocked by the very Changeling that had freed her.

"My Queen, we can't risk leaving yet. They've only just begun the retreat back to their castle. It would be most wise if we allowed them some time to leave the area."

Chrysalis was about to nodded in agreement when she remembered the three ponies that had bound her in the first place.

"Once the ponies that captured me return, they'll most likely alert any of the guards still in the town."

A look of concern spread across the smaller of the two changelings face.

"It's up to you my queen, if you wish to make your escape, I can create a distraction. However, if we stay here we might be able to wait long enough and with any luck the ones who captured you won't return before then."

Chrysalis nodded "Will wait it out, we've suffered injuries today, no need to risk anymore."

The changeling queen made her way over to the now opened window and did her best to peek through the curtains. It was as Thorax had said; many of the guards had begun forming large groups above the town before taking flight back towards Canterlot. However, something caught her attention that made her blood run cold. Above a large tree house flew a pony much larger than of the other cards. She couldn't make out any details from this distance, but she was almost positive it was Celestia.

Using what magic she could muster she slowly slide the window shut and assumed the fetal position on the floor.

Noticing this Thorax took up position next to his queen

"Whats the matter your majesty?" concern thick in his voice

"Sh...she.. She’s out there." stuttered the stunned queen.

"Who's out there?"

"Cel... Celestia" she said pointing to the window

Thorax slowly peeked through the curtains and began scanning for any signs of the much larger pony princess. However, after several minutes of careful examination he was unable to find any signs of her or that she had ever been in the area. The only things that caught his eye were the groups of guards taking flight, slowly signalling their time for escapes approach.

"My queen, there's no sign of her out there. Are you sure you're not imagining things? You do appear to be under a lot of stress."

A small twitch went off in Chrysalis eye as she pulled herself towards the window. Oh well there he goes being silly again, of course she's out there However, once she managed to reach the window it only served to confirm Thorax's words.

Doing the best to regain her composure she stood back up and smiled at the changeling before

"Ye.. yes, that was just a test. Why don't you tell me how you managed to find Me." she said with a forced grin hoping that would effectively change the topic.

"Yes my queen!" Thorax said with a salute

"After the blast, Commander Mandible and I landed pretty close to you, but we lost you when you started running through the forest. The Commander ordered me to follow you well he made sure the others made it back to the hive safely."

Chrysalis nodded "So how did you manage to find me in this house? The entire royal legion is outside and you managed to do what they couldn't?"

"Actually I managed to catch up with you as that grey mare started pulling you away. So I disguised myself as one of the guards and took up chase. I followed her all the way back to this house. However I before I could find a way inside, several of the other guards told me to start searching the alleys. So I had to kill time until they left. After that I came back here and climbed in through the window."

"Why did you climb instead of fly through the window?"

"I didn't want to break my disguise"

Chrysalis gave a look of confusion at the changeling’s last statement

"You were disguised as a Pegasus, they can fly."

Thorax paused for a moment as he thought about it.

"Oh yeah" he said with an awkward laugh "I guess you're right."

Chrysalis facehoofed "How about we see what's going on outside."

The Changeling queen slowly made her way towards the window once again. Moving the curtains slightly to scan the outside. To her joy the streets were almost completely empty, not a single guard could be seen in the air or on the streets below.

Oh goodie she thought to herself as she clapped her hoofs together.

"I believe it's time we make our escape."

Thorax nodded "Before we go, may I suggest a change to the plan?"

"Sure, it's not like we had a plan to begin with."

"What if I take the shape of you my queen? That way when the ponies that captured you return they have no Idea that you've actually escape, giving you more time to gather any stragglers and escape. I'll give you an hour to get ahead and after that I'll make my escape."

The more Chrysalis thought about it, the better that planned seemed. Not only would it ensure the guards wouldn't be alerted, it also ensured she could get all the Changelings back home, mostly uninjured. Chrysalis nodded in agreement

"Okay, but if you don't reach the hive within two hours after my arrival I'll be sending a retrieval team."

With another flash of green Chrysalis found herself staring at her double. That always seemed weird to her, sure she'd taken the form of the same pony in the room as her before, but it always seemed so weird to see a second copy of herself. Doing the best she could she retied the ropes that had once held her, ensuring that should he need to Thorax would be able to release himself.

With a silent farewell Chrysalis made her way out of the room and down the stairs.

Chrysalis happily trotted to the front door. I'm home free she told herself. It had been a long day, and it would be nice to return to little hole in the earth. Though slightly more hungry and a little bruised not much worse for wear.

However her slight glimmer of joy was quickly replaced with terror as she opened the door, meeting face to face with the one creature she had hoped she would never have to see again.

There before her stood none other than Princess Celestia and though Chrysalis had already defeated her once this day. She now seemed different, more powerful.

"Hello, my little changeling" her voice as regal as always.

Chrysalis quickly slammed the door, placing all of her weight on it.

*Knock, Knock, Knock*

This is a terrible plan Chrysalis told herself, bracing the door with what little magic she had left.

*Knock, Knock, Knock*

"Who is it?" she answered only realizing how stupid that question was after the fact.

"Pizza" Celestia answered doing her best to mask her voice

"Really now, I'd expect more dignity from the ruler of Equestria."

"Candy gram!" The sun goddess said in a sing-song voice.

After several seconds of silence Celestia grew board, with a flash of her horn she now stood in front of the terrified Changeling Queen.

"Hello, my name is Celestia. I didn't get your name when you crashed my nieces wedding."

Chrysalis remained in her little safety ball on the floor, before muttering her name. "Chrysalis, nice to meet you" she muttered sticking a hoof out blindly. To her terrified surprise, she felt another hoof grasp her.

"Well Chrysalis, it's nice to properly meet you." rang the cheerful voice of the princess

"Wha...What?" mumbled the terrified Changeling

"I said nice to meet you." Celestia repeated

Chrysalis looked up, expecting see the angry face of a god. However, once again to her surprise she was met with something she had not expected instead of expression of angry or even hatred. She was met with an expression that appeared to be a mixture of both concern and happiness.

"Are you okay? You weren't hurt were you?"

Chrysalis was stunned; this had to have been some kind of trick. But the more she stared at the Sun Goddess before her the more her fears dissipated.

"I'm fine" Chrysalis mumbled

"Well that's good to hear, I didn't expect the power of love to have such a powerful kick to it. Why don't you stand up so we can talk?"

Chrysalis gave no response; instead she continued to stare at Celestia searching for any signs of trickery. But once again her expressions and words remained truthful.

"If you want we don't have to sit stand up, but I think it would better if we got more comfortable don't you?"

Without thinking Chrysalis found herself nodded and she was quickly surrounded by a golden glow. She hadn't expected Celestia's magic to feel this way, especially after the battle they had fought. This magic felt nothing like what she had felt before. It felt good; she could feel it spread throughout her body and very being.

With a flash they disappeared from the hall only to reappear one room over in the living room. Each of them now sitting on a separate couch.

"Now that's much better isn't?"

Once again Chrysalis found herself nodding

"So let us discuss a few things, such as why you found yourself invading Canterlot."

Chrysalis thought about it and after some time she realized she didn't have any alternative options. So she began to talk, she did so in the hopes that maybe she had been wrong. Maybe there were some creatures that didn't see Changelings as foal eating monsters and so she told Celestia everything.

After what seemed like ages Chrysalis finished her stories. Throughout it she had explained everything, starting from the day the Changeling hunts began leading to their underground isolation and finally reaching her plan to infiltrate Canterlot and yet throughout her entire tale Celestia showed no signs of anger. Instead she saw emotions ranging from sadness to pity, but never anger.

"If you were aware of my sister and I why did you never seek our counsel? I'm sure we could have found a solution."

Chrysalis let out a genuine laugh "You can't be serious, ponies were no real threat to us. However, you and your sister control the movement of the sun and moon. We thought that if either of you ever found out about or existence we'd be wiped off Equestria.

Celestia's expression quickly shifted. Part of her understood the creature that sat before her. It was a creature that had its life in roll forced upon it. She tried to recall whether she or Luna had ever created these creatures. However she found the eons had faded any of those memories of long ago. Staring at the creature though, she could only feel sadness. It very way of is what condemned it to be a monster in the eyes of her ponies.

"Chrysalis, what if I could find a solution? A way for both Changelings and Ponies to live in peace?"

"Why would you want to help us? We attacked your Castle and hid your niece in a cave" Asked the confused Changeling Queen

"Well first off a castle can be rebuilt and Princess Cadance isn't one to hold a grudge and if she knew what I now know, I don't think she'd be against trying to help you and your people. But most importantly, no creature should have to live like that. Slowly starving in the dark."

"So what could you possibly do to help us?"

Celestia let out a soft chuckle as she stood up "You just let me figure that one out for now though, I'm going to leave you in the care of these ponies, and I’m sure after a nice talk they'll agree to it."

"And what about the other changelings? Once the news spreads further the hunt will be back on."

Celestia gave a devious smile "Don't worry about that, I'll give a few press quotes change up the story and by the end of it, nopony will even know changelings were there. Don't worry about any that might have been captured. I'll have the guards personally escort them."

"So let me get this straight, my people are free to go, you'll help us find away to return to the surface and all I've got to do is stay here with those three ponies."

Celestia nodded in the affirmative "That's correct, my sister and I will do all the work all you have to do is stay here and out of trouble, heck you can even try to make some friends."

"Wait, I feed off love and you expect me to make friends and stay out of trouble? How exactly am I supposed to do that?"

Celestia shrugged "You're a clever girl, I'm sure you can figure this out."

With another golden flash Chrysalis was alone and confused, so very confused. But part of her was also glad, after everything she had been through and against all odds everything started looking up for her and her little changelings.

Sometime later the three ponies returned home, it had been a long day. First they had stopped to get ice cream, then they went to the park for a bit and afterwards they had been invited to dinner at Octavia's and Vinyl's house. Now it was finally time to go inside and deal with their "guest"

However as the three ponies entered the living room they were left both stunned and deeply confused. For on their couch sat not only the Changeling Queen they had bound upstairs, but now a second one had somehow joined her. Not only that but several empty wrappers and cans sat on the small table in front of them.

"What is going on here?!" stuttered Carrot Top

"I emptied your fridge" answered Chrysalis