• Published 26th Sep 2014
  • 25,789 Views, 551 Comments

Drawn With the Night Into the Day - Dan_s Comments



Fancy travels to Canterlot to fulfill a commission. She decided to toss a few stones in the placid waters to see what turns up.

  • ...
42
 551
 25,789

5) Conclusion

Drawn With the Night Into the Day - Conclusion
by Dan's Comments

DISCLAIMER: My Little Pony is the property of Hasbro, Inc.

Unicorn Filly - Marble Ginger
Unicorn Colt - Thunder Evening
Pegasus Filly - Rivet Joint


Dipper sighed. She looked at her idiot brother walking across the ceiling. The sitter was completely inexperienced, but Dipper was sure she could handle it alone for a little while. She looked up at 'Thunder Child' then back at Marble Ginger, and finally at Rivet Joint. "I'm outnumbered," she commented as she remembered Discord's most important lesson. Watch what's really happening, understand it, so you can do it yourself, she thought, and applied the lesson. She saw the warp and woof of her brother's instinctive magic, and she could cast a similar real spell.

She tentatively put her hoof on the wall, and pulled herself up. Within a few moments, she had taken off after her little brother. He giggled and put on a burst of speed and raced for the wall.

Again, she watched the structure of his magic, and cast a spell duplicating it, letting her chase the idiot through the wall. She found him, on the floor, chewing the ears of her Discord stuffed animal. She collected him, and raced back to put him atop the playpen, so she'd have a few moments to get their breakfasts. Rivet Joint was 'watching' the pot of water Dipper had turned the heat off of when she'd taken off across the ceiling after her brother, Thunder Evening.

Typical of her 'helpful' nature, the water was merrily boiling, despite the stove being off. "Baa," Rivet Joint said proudly, and flew back to her sister, Marble Ginger. The two of them glared at the griffin filly 'trapped' in the overturned playpen. Dive Blossom's older sister had understood her job was to let the two girls glare at her, and report 'Thunder Child's' position and activities to Dipper, to assist with changing the kids, but otherwise provide a distraction for Marble Ginger and usually Rivet Joint. Dive Blossom was only providing the latter, although doing it gave Dipper enough clearance that she could deal with everything else herself.

She turned the stove back on and got the oatmeal cooking. She set out three sets of diapers on the changing table for when they'd be needed, then returned to the kitchen. The trio were still keeping an eye on the 'caged' griffon. Although 'Thunder Child' was standing on the top of the overturned playpen and looking over the edge at the bewildered griffon.

Then the trio all pivoted as one to look at the door, and began babbling excitedly. Dipper shut off the stove and headed off to beat her siblings to the door. She didn't open it until she'd verified she wasn't about to clobber any of them with it.

The door opened and hope rebloomed. "Merry! Discord!" she shouted as she saw her two favorite teachers in the entryway.

Both of them looked at her worriedly as they entered. "Hectic day?" Discord asked as he picked her up and nuzzled her.

"New babysitter," Dipper whispered, then added in a normal voice, "And mom's got three more on the way. I'm really gonna be outnumbered then."

"You'll manage," Merry said as the trio surrounded her. She hung up her tweed coat and set her umbrella aside. She left her hat on.

Dive Blossom crawled out of the playpen, turning it right-side-up. "Ah, do you need me anymore?" she asked worriedly.

Dipper collected the envelope from the drawer. "No you're free, thank you." She'd briefly entertained the idea of holding off the 'tip', but decided that she'd talk to her parents and put Dive on the 'do not call' list.

Once the griffon was gone, at a dead run no less, Discord dissolved the spell which revealed the missing horns and wings of the trio. Freed from their confines, all three flew around Merry chirping and chattering like happy birds. Merry smiled serenely but with real joy.

No one had ever explained to Dipper what a Poppins was or were, but Merry certainly lived up to the first part of her name. Dipper could never understand why Merry didn't have a special somepony, or five. Although Discord had sternly warned Dipper to never bring that or her family up to Merry, or in her hearing, which was extraordinarily acute. It was the closest to a scolding Discord had ever given her. But the question still nagged. She sometimes wondered if Merry had taken the job as thrice-a-week tutor in hopes that Dipper's parents were 'open-minded'. She would have liked Merry as part of the family. Despite how huge she was, she was nice, and enjoyed the hugs and cuddles of the trio, and even of Dipper and her mom. But she was very frightened of dad, despite him being very cordial, even jovial with her.

I'm not stupid, she thought, It's not that she's so big, that she intimidates others. It's because she and dad slept together before he met mom, and no foals. So everypony else figures she's barren. But she likes both dad and mom, so why don't they just bring her in? Dipper put the thought aside for later, private discussions with the grownups.

"So, they left you here with inadequate help?" Discord asked.

"You deal with it," she replied, "But I am glad you two showed up." She hugged Discord again, missing the look between 'Merry Poppins' and Discord.

"So what has your parents so busy?" Merry asked as she pulled the lesson books from the bookcase.

"New toy they're working out with Prince Blueblood. It should be an even bigger seller than Tinkers' Toys," Dipper said proudly, "And I got to 'play-test' them." She glanced at her siblings. "They are even building a set too big for foals to get in their mouths and swallow that work with the smaller blocks for colts and fillies." She suddenly remembered and dashed to her room to get what she'd made. As she dashed back, she caught Merry's disapproving gaze. "I know, no running in the house." She turned to Discord. "They'll be talking with the Princesses about special sets, but I built this of you."

The collection of brightly colored rectangular solids did look a lot like Discord, except for the color. Then they matched perfectly.

"I like it. They shouldn't try color matching, at least with me," Discord said, then winced at Merry's gentle cough. "Dipper, thank you very much."

"Your welcome," Dipper said and hugged him.

"Dipper, honey, sorry the meeting ran late," her dad said as he entered and took off his coat and hat. He braced himself for Dipper's charge, and hugged his daughter. Dipper caught the wistful look from Merry, but concentrated on her dad.

"So?" she asked.

"You sound like your mother," her dad replied, "Blueblood should have the first sets out in two months. He'll have the 'princess sets' out in time for the Grand Galloping Gala, since their Highnesses didn't say 'no', he took that as a 'yes'."

Dipper's reply was interrupted by Merry's frantic coughing. Discord looked worriedly at her and conjured a chocolate milk for her. She got the cough under control and drank the glass, leaving the chunk of chocolate milk in her hoof.

"I'm getting predicable," Discord lamented.

"That thing explodes, I'm going to have that printed on every Discord set that we make," dad said.

Discord nodded. Merry drank the chocolate milk. "I thought their Highnesses refused the funds to upgrade his factories," Merry said, "I know his family won't front him the money."

"He sold stock," dad said as he moved over to the table where the lessons would be held. Dipper never quite understood why dad sat in on most of the lessons. Explaining he hadn't gotten much Equestrian studies really didn't explain things. "Hundreds of ponies bought a part of the cost, for a part of the profits. Twenty bits for the chance of one to three bits a year for several years, or they can sell it. Spreads out the risk, and the reward. No more begging the crown for money. It also means the crown won't have the power of the purse to control innovation. If they disapprove, they won't be able to simply deny funds to stop it. It also undermines the power of the court, if a group of ponies want to get something done, they can assemble the funds themselves and get oversight from the local authorities. They don't have to go to Canterlot, bow and scrape to every minor functionary to get on the docket, get a copy for one of the princesses to review, and gain a favorable buzz about the idea amid the court to influence the princesses to approve."

"Surely it's not like that." Merry suddenly looked worried. Then Dipper looked at her dad's grin. There were bears who'd run away from that grin. Dipper started laughing.

"You're doing it again!" she accused and watched her father's innocent expression appear like a cloudless sky after a blizzard.

"What specifically?" he asked.

"Enjoying weirding people out," Dipper said, "You enjoy shocking people."

"Well, I have to keep up with your friends," her dad said as he leaned close and rubbed his nose on hers.

She growled, but she hugged him. She had one for him, at dinner when mom was there too.

"Oh, Discord. After Merry's lesson, but well before dinner, you can teach Dipper how to make birds."

"Really!?" Dipper and Discord chorused with matching mad smiles.

"Just remember, she isn't strong enough to make real ones, but you can teach her to make those 'lights and shadows' versions," he said, then leaned over to Dipper. "Just remember not to bother your other teacher with them during her lessons."

Dipper hugged her father. Discord said 'thank you', and Merry rolled her eyes and shook her head. "Okay, poetry," Dipper said. It was one of her favorites, playing with words and sounds.

They settled down to study, while Discord played with the three, little alicorns.
------------------------------

Her siblings asleep in bed, the group sat down to lunch. Dad had cooked another weird thing, that turned out to be surprisingly good. "Why aren't these called tomato worms again?" Dipper asked the long noodles with the tomato-based sauce and cheese on them.

"Because they are called spaghetti," her dad said as he set the garlic bread on the table beside the salad, "It means string, not worms."

"Still looks like we're eating worms," she said, "I don't need to get into the head of a bird to make them."

"I'll have yours," Merry said as she looked at the dish of noodles, tomato sauce, mushrooms and cheese.

Dipper put a foreleg around her dish. "I didn't say I wasn't going to eat them, I just said they looked weird."

"Would you like them to be worms?" Discord asked.

"You do that you aren't getting any," dad said and grinned at him, holding the plate.

"Just a question," Discord said and smiled innocently. Dad put the plate down in front of Discord and returned to get his own.

"Are you feeling all right?" Merry asked mom as she squirmed in her chair.

"They aren't crushing my bladder like the first trio," mom said, "But they seem a bit more active." She glanced at dad. "I think I'm going to have you fixed."

"You said you wanted a big family," he said as he sat down at the table, "Now you'll have one and still be young enough to enjoy it."

Dipper caught Merry giving Discord a raised eyebrow. Discord sheepishly shook his head slightly.

As everyone dug in, and thoroughly enjoyed dad's cooking, Dipper decided now was the time. "So why aren't you going to invite Merry to join our family and marry her?"

The sudden silence from all the adults merely highlighted Discord's fork on the plate as he happily ate.

"Look I can see how uncomfortable you two are when you realize you hugged and stuff, but mom treats her like a sister. And I know ponies sometimes have a couple of wives, or husbands, and some are really complicated," she said, "So why don't you all just admit you all love each other instead of all the dancing around?"

The three looked at each other worriedly.

"Because she's under a curse. If she's ever truly happy, she'll die," Discord said as he ate.

Dipper stared at him in horror.

Discord gestured and the pots delivered another helping while he explained. "So she can love being hugged and cuddled by Ginger, Evening and Rivet. She can love playing games and teaching you magic. She can enjoy meals and friendly arguments with your folks, but in the end, she has to go home. She gets to be ecstatically happy, with the little, constant reminder that it's all an illusion. She can think of herself as part of your family, but she can't really be part. That little misery is enough to hold the curse off."

"Well do something!" Dipper said.

"That's not exactly true," Merry said.

"It's oversimplified, but how is it wrong?" Discord stared at Merry and asked, "She's right, you want to be here, they want you here, because they are your friends and they wouldn't really object to being more. Not because of money changing hooves, or knowledge or anything else. Have you got any real friends at home? People who listen to you, try to learn, and try to teach in return? People, adults, you can cuddle with and be cuddled in return? You go home to your pet bird, that pack of self-assured squabblers, and what? Remember your hopes and dreams? Or do you remember that Dipper is learning the lessons better than your sister ever has? That your other three students here as bare children have learned what you've been trying to teach your whole life? That you are learning from them what you never understood how to do yourself?" Discord leaned towards Merry. "This is your refuge from all of that. Even if you could only be here a few nights a week, Dipper is right. You'd be welcomed. And maybe there's one more thing that could be accomplished. If Fancy's experience is a guide."

Merry looked worried, then blushed and looked away.

"The troubles of the past are absolved and set aside, because you apologized, offered the requested restitution and were forgiven. How did that feel? It's a potent tonic, isn't it? Princess Celestia made Fluttershy give it to me. It hurt to think of losing that. And you took a dose yourself. Why do the others avoid the medicine that you survived?" Discord sat back and glanced at Dipper. "Yes, I brought her here and talked your dad into accepting her as your tutor because she needed to learn the things you, and he, and Fancy knew in your bones. But she has to leave and come back, or her life is essentially over. Not exactly dying, you keep moving, but there's nothing left but the pain and the regrets. And that hurts worse that just dying ever could."

"I don't understand," Dipper said tearfully, "Why can't you fix it? You can do anything!?" She looked at her parents. "You've figured out stuff no one ever figured out before, can't you help her?"

Merry gathered the teary, distraught filly into a hug. "There, there."

"It's not fair! It's not fair!" Dipper sobbed as Merry held and nuzzled her, her own tears flowing freely. Discord scratched Dipper behind the ears.

"Discord said it was more complicated, and it is," Merry said, "And it's wonderful, you're wonderful for offering. But I can't accept."

"Why? Why? Why?!" Dipper sobbed as she clung to the larger mare.

"Because it's something I have to do. Something I owe to people, because I promised. The promise was important, and people will get hurt if I don't keep it. Grownups have to do things they don't like to look after others. Like you look after your brother and sisters, when you'd rather be out playing. Your mom and dad would like to be here with you and them, but the people at the factory depend on them, you depend on them, and even I depend on them. I'm sorry it's so complicated, but that's the grown-up world."

"I don't wanna grow up!" Dipper said as she snuggled against Merry, not seeing the joy on the mare's face.

"I'm afraid you already have," her dad said, "By asking us to add Merry to the family. We would, if all of us could."

Dipper lifted her head. "Discord?"

"Yes, I could make it happen. Force it. But that's not what you want," he said not pausing in his scratching. "You made the offer," he said, "That counts for a lot. But it won't work right now."

"It's not fair," Dipper said as she hugged Merry tightly.
------------------------------

'Merry' and Discord walked down the streets of Multicursal, the first signs of the short spring were here. "You could do it," Discord said, "A couple of nights a week. Let yourself be taken by them, leave yourself vulnerable and at their mercy. Isn't that how mares used to surrender to stallions and their mares in the old days?"

"You make it sound like a war," Merry said, feeling her unseen wings and horn ache at the thought.

"Fancy's teeth and tongue on your horn, raising your tail for Klein. Having lips and teeth and fingers preening your wings for more than just keeping them pretty. The ring I gave to Fancy will probably work on you. You'll find . . . what?" he asked as 'Merry' squirmed.

"You know very well what!" she told him as she resettled her coat and hat over herself.

"Of course I know, so does Klein, so does Fancy, Tirek's Beard even Dipper practically knows and she's too young to really know," Discord said angrily, "It's what you want too, and yet, nothing. You think I was joking saying you were cursed? Two, maybe just one night a week: cuddling with two people who see you are just a lonely, friendly mare, and waking up to a pack of people who love you. And you throw that all away, why, because it isn't dignified? Because you're guilty about what your sister and student did?" Discord stepped in front of 'Merry' to force her to halt and look at him. "Because deep down you don't deserve it?"

'Merry' looked away from him, blushing furiously and rustling her concealed wings.

"This can't be that you're embarrassed that Dipper will find out you've been trading magic lessons for parenting lessons?"

'Merry' glared at him. "It isn't!"

"Isn't it?" Discord asked, "What has Equestria gained since this started? Twilight learned the lesson, rather brutally, at the hands of her friends. You're learning how to be a parent at the hands and hooves of Luna's former victims. With the lessons, you are already applying the practices so it's not older sister/younger sister, but parent/child, and she's showing far less resistance. In a few years, she may even grow up enough to apologize for the whole thing. So what is holding you back? There's an embassy within a short dash. Once there, it's off to Canterlot. So what is it?"

"You're right," she said quietly, "I don't deserve it. I don't deserve their forgiveness, or their love."

"Well, guess what? Forgiveness is for the giver, not the receiver," Discord said, "And big surprise, the world isn't fair. You found people willing to be friends with you, personally, who couldn't care less who you are to everyone else. Congratulations, choking down part of your pride paid real dividends. Now put aside your 'I am not worthy', which is just misplaced pride too, and accept the rest."

'Merry' looked at him with fury in her eyes, pawing the ground as if ready to charge, but Discord regarded her coolly. Finally, she looked away.

"Fine, let's keep it G-rated," Discord said, "And make this about your martyrdom, imagine how it feels: a soft, feathered wing as comforter and a warm, fuzzy form on these long, cold Multicursal nights. Maybe you shouldn't have played 'tough mare' but scared mare, had him comfort you sleeping under your wing when you were in that cell. That really would have driven the lesson home."

"There was still a chance that Luna and Twilight were right. I chose to take the middle ground," 'Merry' replied.

"It wasn't that he stank? You should have had a bath ready, kept glancing at the guards out of worry and played it to the hilt the second night," Discord said, "That's your real problem. You keep applying the 'Golden Mean Fallacy' to everything. The middle is the most reasonable place to be. If you want to really be alive, you take occasional risks. That was my problem. As entertaining as I was, I never ran the risk that others living their lives could be equally entertaining. Until things began to pall and I upped the ante until you and Luna intervened. If I'd stepped back and let the people around me go through their lives with just a smidge of chaos to make things interesting, I wouldn't have had to do anything else."

"Make ponies' lives harder?" 'Merry' asked.

"Harder, easier, different. That's the key. Think about it. Joining their family doesn't mean being there every minute of every day. It means that you have someplace to retreat to. 'Home is where they have to take you in.' Besides, do you know what soft fur feels like against bare skin? Woo!" Discord giggled as 'Merry' frowned at him.

Finally, she looked away. "You kept up with the 'banishment'?" 'Merry' asked.

Discord sighed and shook his head. "I got bored with it," Discord admitted.

As I knew you would, 'Merry' thought, It stopped being fun, and you wanted her to learn her lesson. Your 'vengeance' on me was to teach her what I taught you.

"I turned her little empire into a tourist attraction. Lots of ponies tramping around, taking pictures, selling overpriced and attraction-themed muffins, calling her an employee in a costume, foals barfing all over the moon-dust for being overexcited and eating too many sweets, all that jazz, or actually, elevator music."

'Merry' snorted. "I think she would prefer solitude, after a few months of that."

"Two weeks. So I gave it to her. Left her a note that I'd check back in a month. When I did, she was desperate for a change, to talk with ponies again. But she didn't ask me to stop, or what she had to do to make it stop."

I know where this is going. Merry frowned but nodded. "I shouldn't be enjoying this, but what happened?"

"During the 'day', she had a job as a customer service representative at the Department of Carts and Wagons, their busiest branch in Manehatten, and went home at 'night' to her empty moonscape," Discord said.

"How long did it take her to realize she was working through the day, dragging herself 'home' and ignoring her 'beautiful night'?" 'Merry' asked.

Discord looked quizzically at 'Merry'. "How did you know? Never mind. After she was promoted to Senior Executive Assistant to the Junior Assistant, she woke out of a sound sleep in the dream, and had a complete freak out. She'd realized she hadn't looked at a night sky in six months." Discord turned red, then orange, then yellow and smoke started billowing out of his ears. "All right, all right, you win! How'd you know?"

"She ran around one morning shouting 'I figured it out', she apologized too, to everyone she could reach, and kept shouting 'I've figured it out!' She was fine by lunch, but refused to explain, and the apologies stopped. But I figured it out too. Unfortunately, she didn't ask to apologize to Klein, or even Fancy or Dipper."

"She hadn't really absorbed the lesson. She asked for a change back to the barren moonscape and I left it that way for almost ten years by her perspective," Discord said, "It was incredibly boring, because she just sat there staring at her shadow."

"But you left her there?" 'Merry' asked, "Why?"

Discord shrugged. "It seemed the right thing to do. When I had my epiphany, I didn't want to be alone, and no one abandoned me. I thought it best to give her what she politely asked for, in hopes she'd realize she could politely ask for me to stop." He looked at her. "And what about you? Have you forgiven yourself? It's not like it's your fault what happened."

'Merry' bowed her head and pawed the ground. "Isn't it? Who else taught them? Twilight finally found wisdom from her friends in Ponyville, but all I tried to teach her, all I managed was to have her put me on a pedestal."

"And none shall pass to remove her therefrom!" Discord squeaked and waved a wooden sword in the air. "It ever occur to you that letting her see you screw up occasionally while she grew up might have been a good idea?"

"Like imprisoning you?" 'Merry' asked.

"Too ancient," Discord said, rubbing his chin, "Unless you're referring to Luna. Admittedly, it was the only option you had open. You were young, naive, and inexperienced. Using a hammer on a mole looked like a good idea at the time. But not learning any new tricks came back to bite you. When you had no choice but to turn that hammer on your own sister, when stripping away some of her naivete might have done both of you some good. If you were planning on being rulers. But Dipper can do things her dad can't. He's firmly on a pedestal, but she knows that she can do things he can't. It's what really is important in a parent: The child becomes greater than they are or grows in unexpectedly wonderful ways."

"I can only hope," 'Merry' said.
------------------------------

Luna glared at Celestia as she arrived for dinner. "I have just realized how much you truly hate me."

"How so?" Celestia asked in real concern.

"The Committee for the Beautification of the Appleoosan Desert wants Crown Funds to paint every rock 'more attractive colors', and Chief Thunderhooves actually thought he needed to send a delegation to assure we understood their strong reluctance to allow such a thing," Luna said, "Do they truly believe that the Equestrian Crown is THAT stupid?"

"Considering that we authorized the settlement of Appleoosa, by members of the Apple family, and didn't consider that they would try to turn every piece of flat ground in all directions into apple orchards," Celestia said, "Yes, they do. And not without justification."

"The land grant didn't allow that," Luna replied.

"But it didn't forbid it either, and it should have," Celestia said as she seated herself and looked over the repast.

I'm really in the mood for more spaghetti, she thought as sighed, But Celestia is a good mare, she always eats what's put in front of her and thanks the cooks for their efforts. A plain bowl of oatmeal would be nice. But my meals like my schedule are planned weeks in advance. She sighed again.

"What are you sighing about?" Luna asked, "I apologize, my irritation isn't with you."

"So, I can't convince you to take over completely and let me take a vaca - " Celestia asked, then wiped the coffee from her face. "I'll take that as a no."

Luna had covered her mouth with a napkin and was looking at Celestia with utter horror.

Celestia grinned. "Gotcha!"

"Some things should not be joked about," Luna said sternly, "After this day, I am actually craving the enforced boredom of Discord's 'punishment'. I thought solitude was punishment, until I had no choice but to deal with these . . . subjects, for hours on end. How do you prevent a massacre?"

"By remembering the crown is responsible, and trusted, because they can bring their troubles to our hooves for a reasonable hearing," Celestia said, "Trust is everything. If our ponies decided they no longer trusted us, what would you suggest we do if they all packed up and moved to Minotaura or Griffonstan? Build a fence to keep them in?"

Luna looked at the elaborate food on her plate, and pushed it around with her fork. "No, but why does everything have to be our problem?"

"You want to be in charge, then everything is your fault, even when you had nothing to do with it. If you want authority, you have to take responsibility, and then keep in mind that authority is held in trust for a time, but the responsibility clings to you like a tick for the rest of your life."

"You make the prospect sound incredibly daunting," Luna said.

"Now you understood why I couldn't understand your jealousy. I would have loved to throw it all to someone else and walk away. That I didn't understand you didn't understand that was my fault, not yours."

"I failed to talk to you," Luna admitted, "Or to attend enough court to realize the price you daily paid for the 'adulation' they showered you with. I now understand the one was not worth the other."

Celestia nodded. "Do you want to turn in and let me handle the night court?"

"NO!" Luna exclaimed as she stood suddenly. She looked around nervously, then at Celestia's shocked expression. "Sorry, tonight is the astronomical society, it's the one court function I really enjoy, even with the arguments. I only have to be the sergeant at arms, not the moderator."

"All right," Celestia said and laughed, "Enjoy."
------------------------------

Celestia woke from her sleep, or thought that she had. Then she realized how little she was. She was in the middle of rolling fields with a few scattered copses of trees. And she was covered in what she dearly hoped was mud. "DISCORD!" she shouted, sounding like 'the chipmunk' version.

"Oh hush you," Fancy said, as Dipper and Klein hauled a washtub between them. The mare tousled Celestia's mane. "Just enjoy it," Fancy said, "Consider it a vacation."

"Like taking leave of my senses," Celestia said, noting her pink, normal hair, rather than rainbow, ethereal mane and tail.

"Oh pooh," Fancy said, "When was the last time you let go and really had fun?"

Celestia frowned. "There was Cadence's wedding, I had fun at the Equestria Games, I had fun with all of Twilight's friends after the Grand Galloping Gala."

"Oh, and you got drunk and danced with a lampshade at the wedding did you, you whooped and hollered at the Equestria Games like a real fan, and you told embarrassing stories about Twilight and she did the same to you? I said 'let go and really had fun'. When in any of those did you let go? The last time you were undignified, was when someone with an explosive vest blew himself up and took part of your castle with him. And that fails the whole 'fun' part.". Fancy considered. "Or may be it doesn't."

Celestia snorted at that.

"Okay, let's get you cleaned up," Fancy said as her horn glowed and Celestia felt herself being picked up and set in the warm, sudsy water. Then they started scrubbing. Not the gentle, oh-she-might-break, 'put on her wing covers so they don't get wet' washing she got that made her pretty, but a cleansing by caring parents trying to get the muddy foal clean right down to the skin. It felt wonderful. All protest stopped and she just accepted and luxuriated in the hands and hooves of people who cared about her, and not the princess.

'I'm serving Celestia, not the princess', Celestia thought as she nearly fell asleep under the gentle motions, and the realization she wasn't immediately going to be buried under a pile of 'clean' dirt in the form of lotions and polishes and powders applied to her the moment she was even slightly clean. She noted with some amusement that Fancy cleaned her more intimate areas while Klein stayed away. But what he did with her wings may have made them unusable for flight for a while, but he got down to the roots of all her feathers and she felt completely clean for the first time in ages.

It didn't last, she didn't let herself soak in that warm and now dirty water. They lifted her out to rinse her off, then set her amid a pile of towels. Even Dipper got into the act of drying her off. She was as gentle as her parents, but she was washing a kid, not offering service to the Princess of Equestria.

"You know, I never blamed you for what Luna did to my daddy," Dipper said as she carefully dried Celestia's mane.

Celestia cringed at that.

"I can imagine you wanting to hide from her at our house," Dipper continued. She peered at the three adults who snorted at that. "But I can see why you didn't tell me. Fewer who know a secret, fewer can let it go. And I still think you and dad and mom would make a nice group."

Celestia blushed at that.

"But no matter what, there's one thing you can never change," Dipper said earnestly, "Not if you quit being princess. Not if you let someone else raise the sun. Not if you live a million years."

Celestia looked at her, searching her face for some clue. "What's that?" Celestia asked.

Dipper booped her on the nose. "You're it." She took off at a dead run across the rolling fields.

"ARGH!" Celestia exploded out of the towels and raced after the filly. But Dipper's longer legs and more recent experience dealing with three, little alicorns gave her the advantage.
------------------------------

The tub was larger this time, and it needed to be, because neither Fancy nor Klein was going to get near the splash fight going on between the two fillies in it.

"HEY!" Dipper complained as Klein dumped a bucket of warm water over her head.

"Your splashing-fu is weak grasshopper," Klein said and quickly got out of range.

Celestia didn't understand it, but she suddenly burst in tears. Dipper didn't understand, but hugged her anyway. Klein and Fancy headed over and joined in. Without meaning to, she got them all soaking wet from hugging her. She couldn't stop sobbing.

The part of her that was always 'above it all' realized she was crying because she was being forgiven, for what had been done to this family in her name. That they really did not care about it anymore. That they didn't hold all her failures over her head, that they didn't care about or honor the pillar of all Equestrian Society, but welcomed the frightened, uncertain mare who was in so many ways not so different from the filly who stood up to evil while others ran in terror. Because someone had to.

The mare who failed in the end. And had to wait a thousand years to win by proxy.

They recognized all the flaws, and loved her anyway. They made a place for her in their home and in their lives because someone had to.
------------------------------

They were all dry, and Celestia had stopped needing to cry. She was snuggled up against Fancy while the mare played the guitar. Klein sang a song that Celestia supposed embodied the strength that let him stand when so many others fell. The song repeated the advice 'Learn to be still.' She knew she was very guilty of 'following the wrong gods home.'

"The Eagles, Learn to Be Still," Klein said.

"I somehow I guessed the title," Celestia said, "Good advice. Maybe I should take it. It seems to have served you well."

"There's some wisdom in charging ahead when it seems irrational." He sat down and began scratching Fancy behind the ears. From her expression and ears swivelled forward, she not only loved the feeling, but trusted the one who was doing it implicitly.

"The same artists also did a song stating they'd like to find a complainer's inner child and kick its ass," Klein said, "The dichotomy was one reason I liked them."

"I never heard them," Dipper said.

"Way before your time," Klein said, "They broke up a quarter-century before you were born."

"Wow, that's ancient," Dipper said.

Th three adults rolled their eyes.

"What?" Dipper asked.

"I have to ask," Celestia said, "Why?"

"Because you found the one weakness in his armor," Fancy said, "You showed up on his doorstep, ready for him to toss you out, like everyone else had, and asked him to help you. I'm not sure if Luna or Twilight could do that, but as you know, others have."

"I think Twilight might try. Luna, maybe in fifty years," Celestia said. She looked at Klein and Fancy. "Is that why you hid your foals' identity?"

"Yes. Let them grow up without everyone 'grooming them' for their eventual role. Because here, they can have any role they want," Klein said.

"Except babysitter," Dipper said and frowned, "After the next three are born, they'll be too young to help, until they're too old to need it."

"What about the three after that?" Klein asked.

"Don't you dare!" Fancy said and waved the guitar at him, "Seven is quite enough." Then she bumped Celestia. "Besides, there's somepony else."

"What, I could never, it's that, who could -!" Celestia stammered, looking at the laughing faces, "I could?" She felt like begging to be let in, to feel like this, just a little while.

"Yes," Fancy said and nodded to Klein.

Celestia felt her heart in her throat as he considered. She expected, would understand completely, a rejection. It's taking so long, she thought, He's trying to be diplomatic about it.

"No," he said.

Celestia felt crushed. But I understand, she thought and felt her tears welling up.

"Not Princess Celestia, it would cause too many problem, for all sides."

"I understand," Celestia said, as the last ember of hope died out.

"But Merry Poppins has been offered, and as I recall, she said 'no', maybe you should get her to reconsider," Klein said.

A cheering Dipper immediately tackled Klein, while Fancy did the same to Celestia. Both crying and laughing.

"What happens when you get her pregnant?" Dipper asked.

Celestia nearly choked as Klein and Fancy began laughing.

Author's Note:

I may do a later chapter of Dipper as a babysitter, but I won't promise anything.

Comments ( 137 )

excellent, I literally just reread the previous chapters and found it updated not an hour later, thank you.

.......

That is my response, so from what I can gather it's been maybe a few months. I was...Surprise/shocked/ and laughing when I read the three children alicorns, even more of who 'Merry' is. Just, wow. Not to mention that things have move on, and the response of the end. Just, wow. But I'm still wondering what Twilight 'learn' from her friends and how they are now.

And Luna still haven't apolgozie to the family, can't be surprise of that fact.

However I am surprise of the mare in the first story was really Celestia. That caught me off guard. Wonderful job Dan, you manage to surprise all of us reading your work.

I won't lie. I sqee'd when I saw this was put up.

Even more awesome was that they are three alicorn foals.

Was the "may be" intentional or was it actually a "maybe"?
This may just be me but I didn't quite understand what was happening until I read it a couple times. Regardless, I enjoyed the story and like the different style.
*edit for clarity

I remember Fancy told Celestia that Klein had forgiven her, but I didn't think it would have been to this extent. Thank you for the story. I loved it very much :)

"She ran around one morning shouting 'I figured it out', she apologized too, to everyone she could reach, and kept shouting 'I've figured it out!' She was fine by lunch, but refused to explain, and the apologies stopped. But I figured it out too.

Okay I have to ask, what did she figure out? I have a idea that she figure out how Klein feels...but I'm not too sure.

A cheering Dipper immediately tackled Klein, while Fancy did the same to Celestia. Both crying and laughing.
"What happens when you get her pregnant?" Dipper asked.
Celestia nearly choked as Klein and Fancy began laughing.

I'm just wondering if Dipper ask 'Are you going to have sex with Celestia daddy?' or did she meant that after Fancy birth the kids, one of them will go to Celestia.

Might have skipped over a few too many important developments, but it's a nice ending for that part of Klein's life nonetheless.

5469610 Chaos Theory

5482107 Update, and conclusion.

5505294 It gets worse for Celestia, but she at least has the wisdom to know how little she knows, and the strength of character to get the answer.

5507149 Nope, Discord isn't going to harm Luna's relationship with Celestia. Giving Luna exactly what she wants is going to have that effect, but only because Celestia desperately needs someone to care for her as a person instead of an icon.
:twilightblush: If her friends can forgive what she did in Lesson Zero :twilightoops: they'd forgive anything. :facehoof:
Luna will have plenty else to worry about. Besides, Discord doesn't have the guts to be merciless. As soon as somebody really breaks, they're too boring to deal with.

5534190 You're welcome.

5534194 Glad you enjoyed it, and glad it entertained you.

5534305 You always manage to make me smile somehow. Too be honest there were some parts that were confusing, but I slowly understand that you somehow make the story leaves interpretations for the readers, and I don't know why, but you somehow enjoy reading the comments to see the different reactions somehow...

Anyway take a rest if you need it, even great fanfiction writers need a break time to time.

Huh, I kinda didn't expect to ever see the end of that anymore. That switched tone towards the philosophical rather strongly there in the last chapter, didn't it? Satisfying conclusion, though. Everybody feels like they deserve what they've got.

Loved it and enjoyed it, tho I'm a little sad it's come to an end. A story I'm glad I found from the start.

Thank you again.

That was a heartwarming ending. Good to see that Klein and family are whole again, Sunbutt is healing, and Purple is growing up.

If Luna still hasn't asked Discord to stop, I'm going to assume she secretly likes the attention.

If this gets an epilogue, it might be hilarious to see the nobility react to finding out they've been bumped way down the totem pole by the emergence of 3*n new alicorns.

5534305
"It's what really is important in a parent: The child becomes greater than they are or grows in unexpectedly wonderful ways."

Hmmm....

“Zeus, all you other gods,
grant that this child, my son, may become,
like me, pre-eminent among the Trojans,
as strong and brave as me. Grant that he may rule
Troy with strength. May people someday say,
as he returns from war, ‘This man is far better
than his father.’ "

Hopefully with a happier ending though.

The whole herd thing isn't my cup of tea. But otherwise I enjoyed the chapter.

I feel like i missed something important, like there was too much of a time jump between last chapter and this one. Either that, or I'm a big idiot. Plus, there was way too much philosophical bullshit in this chapter.

Not the ending I would have used, but interesting nonetheless. I would have looked to see Celestia, Luna, and her cohort Twilight very lonely ponies.

I also would have liked to see what happened to Twilight, though my guess is she had a serious tongue-lashing by her coterie of friends, who then walked out and left her alone, possibly with Spike if he was that loyal.

5534513 Could be pride. Even though she has had a moral epiphany, she won't give Discord the satisfaction.

I'm rather confused as to how they all reached this point, would have preferred haves those events covered in story instead of having us figure out wtf is going on.

Hey wait a minute! I was under the impression that the one who die was a poor miner with
some TNT or a soldier in the middle of trowing a grenade or similar not a dude with a explosive vest
so how that one first human survived his explosive vest? :trixieshiftright:

oh and hurray for Klein now he got some peace and happiness! :pinkiehappy:
oh and poor Fancy if I got it well she became an Alicorn Factory. :trollestia:

What a great story :)

The time skips would be substantially less jarring if we had a more specific time for how long the skip was. I really liked this end but I agree with what some others are saying in that it feels like we've missed out a too much important content with the time shift.
More than anything I want to know what happened with twilight and her friends and with luna. I don't know how her friends could ever forgive her for what she did.
Falling in love with merry really seems like it came out of nowhere as well. I understand his weird apathy/forgiveness to celestia for what was done in her name but every instance he's mentioned the royals makes it appear that he looks at them both with great disdain. How was that overcome?
I feel like this was a really strong story that always had to much information obfuscated from the reader that made if fall a bit flat at the end.

What a strange chapter to end a strange story.

That's a beautiful and unexpectedly happy ending; though I can't but agree some others' notion of a 'missing chapter' before the conclusion. I guess it isn't strictly necessary... I'm just really curious and would have loved to read a lead-up to the conclusion; especially how Celestia got to where she is now. It's so beautifully fitting that I'd so very much like to observe the way that led to it.
And of course the Aj/Rarity/Twilight conversation... but that's probably just my desire to indulge in unimportant interpersonal disasters that you write so well :trixieshiftleft:... in this case with no real advancement to the plot. It would have nice to see some closure on the Twilight side, though.

Anyway, a magnificient story!
Thanks a lot for sharing.

My English is so bad that I really did not clearly understand the end.
Could someone explain to me what exactly happened?
And please use "spoiler" function, because you do not want to spoil the story to others, do you?

THIS. This is what we needed, a chapter where Celestia is portrayed not as the politician or princess, but as the pony that she is, and how she really feels about the entire shitstorm. Good job on making her a relatable and lovable person who feels guilty and tortured by proxy actions, that's what I'd expect from someone said to be kind and compassionate.
And she's been reeled into a loving herd, too! Hooray! I guess that "Drawn... into the Day" makes more sense now than ever :rainbowwild: And yes, I saw what you did there when it was said that Klein slept with her once before Fancy :coolphoto:

Shit me a 24K gold bar, they ARE alicorns! Some powerful sperm cells you've got there, Toymaker. :rainbowderp: But I didn't understand that you didn't put inside quotes their "eventual role", because I severely disbelieve that they're ever going to be accepted into the Equestrian govermnent just because they have three extra appendages. Even if they did, Klein and Fancy wouldn't let them and now "miss Poppins" would, too, go to lengths to avoid the babies of her family being condemned to that lifetime of psychological torture.

Can't say I made much out of Luna's isolation in this particular part. What exactly did I miss that the surface of the moon became an amusement park to leave human tycoons jealous, with Luna as a minimum-wage handygirl made to climb through the ranks?

As for Twilight... you're not really gonna stop there, are you? You need to show how she's been changed after being chewed out by the other mane five, dammit! Give us some closure here like you did with Luna, come on, don't leave your readers hanging. Moreso because it's hard to believe the other, morally-sane Element Bearers would forgive a torturer as willing as Sparkle-Ass was. That shit's GOT to have burned some bridges.

For the future, Celestia lovingly impregnated by the same living being that her student and sister almost killed or made insane... good grief, the irony in this would be DELICIOUS! (can't post image because at work [sic], but oh the temptation)

5535161 Klein never had a strong dislike of Celestia. She personally never did him wrong. His beef is with the Crown as an institution, and a personal one with Luna and Twilight, the ones that deserve it.

Comment posted by farmerguy deleted Feb 20th, 2015

5535720 Pretty much everything he said. Damn satisfying.

I reread this and the preceding story. Twice. This is damn good work.

JBL
JBL #29 · Jan 22nd, 2015 · · 1 ·

It wouldn't be a Dan_s Comments story without him confusing the reader.

*Notices that a new chapter has been released*

YAY! :yay:

*reads the title* Wha...? Conclusion?!?

NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo! :raritycry:

As always, an interesting story. You have a unique writing style; Surprisingly little show or tell, but lots of implying. But there's still so many bits and pieces you merely hinted at, if even that! What happened between Twilight and her friends? And what about Upper Crust? Did she ever get her comeuppance for torturing Klein? And THREE alicorn foals? With perhaps another three on the way? THAT'S gonna get some attention eventually...

In any case, a fun ride, if over far too soon. :twilightsmile:

5534287 From what I gathered, she understood why nopony was appreciating her night sky. You know, by making her live through their eyes to see that at the end of the day, they're just too tired to really care.

5535041
You really seem adamant that they end up miserable.
Didn't Klein and Celestia bury the hatchet (both literally and metaphorically) in the previous chapter? Why wouldn't forgiveness (especially when it is earned) be better than vindictiveness?
Anyway, the closest you get is that, of the latter two (and main) offenders, only Twilight seems to have learned her lesson (Luna still hasn't yet but eventually will, hopefully) and it is implied that they won't be totally absolved until they overcome their respective pride and shame and come to the offended parties to offer them their apologies as well.

As for myself, I also regret that we didn't get to see more about Twilight and her friends (as I enjoyed the way Luna got told off by Celestia in the previous chapter, I would have liked to read the whole conversation between Twilight, Applejack and Rarity, as well as the way the three others reacted about it, and how it played from there), but it warmed my heart to see Celestia, who was the least guilty in this mess, being fully accepted as part of the family. :twilightsmile:

There's one loose plot thread that could still spoil everyone's happy ending.

How did the first human get to Equestria, and how long until someone else figures out how to repeat the event?

Jeez. I really loved the first story but here, I don't really know what to think.

Firstly, character wise, it follows the same Dan canon, the Danon if you will. Blueblood is a political genius, Twilight is an autist who spergs over Celestia because of her various psychological complexes, Luna's an idiot who got shafted eight ways from hell and searched for affection from her sister, Celestia is deathly afraid of becoming obscure, and Discord is the greatest fucking thing ever since sliced bread.

Fans of Sliced Bread be damned.

Needless to say, its a realistic interpretation of what most likely is the truth of these characters. Though Its nothing more than head canon based upon conjecture, but its pretty damn accurate to the source material if you were to view it through a lens of cynicism. I know I pretty much contradicted myself, so you can leave a complaint in the complaint box BUT I DONT CHECK DAT SHIET.

On topic again, I like it. I also really like it in Cultural Artifacts because characters actually feel like actual beings, with their own issues and strengths. Its very human, per say.

Outside this realm, we have a few other additional characters, those being Fancy, Klein and Dipper. Starting with the youngest, Dipper is adorable. I love her. But I was left somewhat confused as to what was hinted at her ultimately becoming. My line of logic was something like an apprentice of Discord, straddling the line between Chaos and Harmony, a keeper of the gray lands, the line between the incarnations of the two absolutes. Humble roots, but that is my own conjecture since I couldn't tell. All I really knew about her potential is that she is the antithesis to infinite knowledge and power, to possess infinite understanding and ultimate control.

Klein, eh? He's a brilliant man, no doubt about that. Well, not brilliant, per say, more aware of his humanity than most. He reminds me of something I heard from Fight Club, "It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything." More humble of a character, smoothed and mellowed over the years, but that left him somewhat boring and uninteresting. His distaste, apathy and sometimes, hatred made him interesting, but even that was ironed out. He's like those crackers you get at church, remove the flour and you basically have cardboard. But his actions really do speak for him and the way he makes Equestria as a whole, grow up, really impresses me.

Fancy, I really enjoyed. A political genius, knew just all the places to prick and definitely enjoyable to read. And definitely admirable considering her utter dedication to her daughter in the beginning.

Moving on, plot wise, its a good follow up. Definitely more flat than what was before, but this is the comedown. The war was won, this is the time to rebuild. But it definitely does a great service of having great characters and character interactions.

Fluency. Its a lot better than cultural artifacts thanks to the fewer characters, tighter narrative and smoother plot, but I sorely missed those ASMR moments.

I saw two plot holes. One being how the Terrorist first got to Equestria. This was only addressed in reference to the explosion and not how he first got into Equestria. Second, I swear Discord said to Celestia that the foals were not Alicorns, even saying that they were the two Unicorns and the one Pegasus.

As for the ending, eh, but much stronger than "eh?" I like Celestia being forgiven but the extent to which she is, with the whole polygamy thing just felt really forced or out of place, I can't make heads or tails of it. The family dynamic I really, really enjoyed though. Its a nice closure from the first story where Celestia herself said, had they met under different circumstances, they might have been friends. But it still lacks closure for certain characters. I would have much rather seen Luna come to learn everything, rather than have been told. Show me, don't tell me and all that. Twilight also feels sorely left out, at least her dynamic with Celestia and the Elements since we all know it will take time for her to grow up. All in all, eh. Its nice but not that strong of a note to leave off. Its nice, but has issues.

Taken as it is, its a great exercise of Equestrian culture, society, politics and philosophy. As well as an exploration of character.

I rate it a solid 8/10, given that I've reread the previous chapters a couple of times over since I enjoyed them so much.

You did a damn good job, Dan. A damn, damn damn, good, damn, good, good, damn, good job.

5427056 Challenge accepted. :pinkiehappy:

5430934 Klein keeping his mouth shut is part of the agreement with the Diarchs. There's nothing preventing Discord from letting the pony out of the bag.

That's what I hate about your stories. You present characters, and all you do most of the time, is you give their names, and nothing else. How alicorn triplets looks like? What race is 'Merry', and how she looks like? Nothing.

Good story though. Keep it up.

5537151 It is not that I want it that way, but that I feel it is more realistic. Shoot me a message if you'd like to have a discussion about that, or anything else.

I'm serious. I'll talk about doughnuts if that's what you want. :derpytongue2:

My two big problems with the story as a whole were that Luna seems unrealistically naive and immature for a lady her age, even taking into account her exile, and that it seems odd that she should be so utterly helpless to block Discord's magic. She was one of the ones who sealed him in stone.

Apart from that? Good story, and it's nice the first one wasn't just...left there.

5538115
It's pretty much how Luna acts in the show, though. And Discord... I don't think either of the sisters could really stop him from doing much of anything, if he didn't want them to. He can turn cities into plush. Turning a species into vapor oughtn't be a stretch.

5542667 I'm just not convinced she would act so much like a witless child, nor have no animosity towards her sibling for basically washing her hooves and leaving her to be tormented, in part for convenience.

Throwing a relative to the wolves is no small matter, reasons aside, and Celestia has walked away from Luna before, albeit accidentally.

I would also have to disagree about their being unable to harm him. Nothing I have seen suggests this, though it required the Elements both times, both Princesses the first time, and the Mane Six the second time.

In any case, it is obvious our positions are all quite solidly held, so let's simply enjoy what parts of the story we liked, and leave it at that.

5534253 5534296 5534397 Glad you enjoyed it.

5534270 Either way.

5534284 At the moment they're just friends. Discord and Dipper can guess where it's going, but they aren't there yet.

5534287 Earlier in the dialog:

"How long did it take her to realize she was working through the day, dragging herself 'home' and ignoring her 'beautiful night'?" 'Merry' asked.

        Discord looked quizzically at 'Merry'. "How did you know? Never mind. After she was promoted to Senior Executive Assistant to the Junior Assistant, she woke out of a sound sleep in the dream, and had a complete freak out. She'd realized she hadn't looked at a night sky in six months." Discord turned red, then orange, then yellow and smoke started billowing out of his ears. "All right, all right, you win! How'd you know?"

Dipper means how is Celestia going to explain (especially to Twilight and Luna) how she got pregnant and from whom.

5534318 I'm a fan of human creativity. I used to run around DOOM Wads in invincible just so I could see how someone did their special tricks. Yeah, a Cyberdemon is blasting away at me, and I'm looking at the stairway they built. I also think most people don't waht to be given the answers and spoon-fed all the details. In some cases I'm wrong, but most people like to work a few things out for themselves.

5534323 The war's over, Klein and his family have won, and as Fancy said, when Celestia begged for help in solving her problem, Klein and Fancy magnanimously gave it to her.

5534513 Celestia's learning how to bring Luna around, something she didn't know before. Something Klein and Fancy are teaching her.

5542743
And, honestly, also because she kind of deserves it. Celestia in this story clearly feels very guilty over what Luna and Twilight did. It's worse than she ever did in practice as Nightmare Moon. Giving Luna comparatively painless learning experience like that might not seem such a bad idea to her. But alright.

5542758

I was wondering what Celestia could have said to convince Klein to give her access to his kids. Should have known it would be as simple as phrasing it as a plea for help.

Klein is such a teddy bear.

5534589 It will have a happier ending. Dipper's got smarter gods than the Trojans had.

5534600 5535738 Remember who's suggesting the 'typical' herd, Discord who is trolling Celestia, and Dipper who is still a little kid. Anything more than friends is still a long ways in the future, but that's what Celestia desperately longs for.

5534637 5535046 Everything important in the 'jump' was explained, Discord brought Celestia to Klein and Fancy to trade magic lessons for Dipper for parenting lessons for Celestia.

"Yes, I brought her here and talked your dad into accepting her as your tutor because she needed to learn the things you, and he, and Fancy knew in your bones.

That's the core of the main action.

5534687 If friendship is magic, then what Celestia really wanted was friends. I'm happy you enjoyed it.

5535041 Problem is, it isn't Twilight's story, or Luna's. It's Fancy and Dipper's. I decided to let everyone think of what happened to Twilight, considering how pissed Applejack and Rarity were, everyone can make a pretty good guess, a more satisfying guess than anything I could write.

5535077 The first human did a bad job, and didn't live very log. Fancy isn't a factory, she wanted a big family, so all the pregnancies are planned and wanted, but it's that they keep being triplets that irritates her.

5535118 5535225 5535720 5535767 5535970 Glad you enjoyed it.

5535161 I mentioned this in the comments before, look at Dipper's and the triplets' age, and that will tell you the timing. The triplets were born at the end of chapter 4, and they are able to walk and verbalize at the beginning of chapter 5, so several months.

5535333 People complain when I beat up Twilight too mercilessly, so I decided I'd give this one a pass. Besides, considering that Rarity and Applejack not only didn't tear a strip out of Twilight's hide for what she did to Applebloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle, and instead ran to her defense, I doubt I could write one credibly.
Of course if it had been my siblings Twilight messed with, it would have been Twilight and Celestia who would have gotten a 'What the Hell Hero' for the ages.

5535386 Very good. You figured out it wasn't Klein who was drawn, but Celestia. Remember it was Dipper guessing about the strange standoffishness between the two when they realize how intimate a moment they're having.
People will assume they are in the line of succession, and are guardians of Harmony. But, like Dipper, they are being taught by both Celestia and Discord. So they're eventual role is anyone's guess.
Luna was getting punished by Discord, weirdness is to be expected. She wanted ponies, he gave her ponies. She wanted to be alone, he did that, she wanted ponies again, he gave her a job at the DMV. That did lead her to a bit of an epiphany. To wit: 'When thou must deliver endless waves of oxygen-thieving, window-licking morons from the just fruits of their own stupidity, for hours at a stretch, thou dost not give one infinitesimal shit whether the sky art even present, let alone how beauteous it is, thy cravest rest and surcease from imbecility.'
Twilight, :twilightoops: yes, :twilightblush: this isn't her story. :twilightangry2:
Pm me the image please, I love a good Twilight freak out.

5535390 She also had the good sense to bring an advocate and ask for help.

5543902 well that's my point Fancy can have a big family very easy!
hey Dan I really enjoyed this and I am glad I could read this thanks! :pinkiehappy:

there are too many stories were humans get to be antagonized without a fair chance
and aren't allowed to growth or progress, to see stories like this really cheer me up!

5543902 I understand. It just kinda one of my triggers on here. Whenever I see humans creating "herds" it usually is just a ploy to have more sex partners. So whenever I see a humans and herd in the same sentence, my knee jerk reaction is
new1.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/They+need+goddamn+dragonite+soon+_ebebcffc43c1df21901ae73efde3bcf0.png

5543902 I got that, and I just hope Rarity and A.J. didn't go overboard.

5543902 don't worry, my imagination works just fine for that confrontation. I would also just add unecessary length to a story that is beautifully lean and has great drive to it. I'm happy with it, I just like to see Twilight suffer I guess. I'm weird like that :rainbowderp:
Great story. Up to now by far the best HiE story I've read: suspenseful, imaginative, evocative language, near perfect characterizations, amazing OCs, realistic character development... Really great.

5536371 farm3.staticflickr.com/2105/2430455499_0b164ebc5a_z.jpg I perfer to think of it as giving you all a prophylactic against Alzheimer's.

5537078 You're welcome, :pinkiehappy: I'm sorry. :pinkiesad2: Upper Crust, of course not she was following Twilight and Luna's orders.

5537114 More important, the peaceful night's sleep (which she also oversaw) was vastly more important. 'Sure you're a good artist, but we really need a virtuoso mechanic.'

5537393 They will at least have an advocate, which they wouldn't have at the end of Drawn With the Night.

5537581 You only missed that Celestia is also very damaged goods. She hasn't had one solid, cheap victory in any of her major battles (like the ones Twilight gets as a matter of course), She had to go through everything that eroded Luna's sanity, and then had to go through a thousand years of survivor's guilt and lonely ennui. She only had one person close to her, and Luna betrayed her. Summerset Shimmer may also fall into that category. In a place where Friendship is Magic, the most magical ponies has no real friends of her own. Not even Twilight.

Dipper Doodle: names say a lot about ponies, and she's not just apprenticed to Discord, she's also being taught by Celestia. She may be the first pony in history with a solid grounding in both Harmony and Chaos. As for what is her future?
Dipper: a long-handled cup used to lift a portion by reaching below the surface.
Doodle: to draw something without thinking about what you are doing.

Klein, when he was angry, he was raging against an implacable force. As the chapters went on, the roles are reversed. Celestia and Luna are not the powers, they are the supplicants (at least Celestia is). He realizes that for all her demeanor and years, he's dealing with a badly hurt teenager. (Mental traumas have to be dealt with as if the person was the age they were when the trauma was inflicted, a reason why adults have such troubles with childhood trauma, the part of their mind that's hurt still does think they are six-years-old). That takes an entirely different demeanor. He has secured his position, he no longer needs to defend, he needs to heal someone else.

ASMR: Autonomous sensory meridian response? :rainbowhuh:

Polygamy. Remember it was Discord trolling Celestia, and Dipper who doesn't really understand family relations beyond her mother and father and the parents of her friends. Celestia is just goign to be cuddling with them for quite some time and it may never escalate beyond that. Neither Fancy nor Klein mentioned the sexual aspect, and they'd have a greater say in it than Discord.

Luna is learning, as for Twilight, as I noted above, if her friends let her get away with what she did to Sweetie Belle and Applebloom, they might let her skate on just about anything. I couldn't see anything I wrote as being wholly believable.

Discord lied: he told Celestia the 'official story', what he'd disguised them as, not what they really were. Celestia's
'I see' showed she understood. It was a way to keep the conflict down to a low-ebb. Celestia would follow the non-interference agreement, Luna would not. So Celestia understand what's there, Luna thinks Discord and Klein are trolling them.

5538004 How does describing every stick of furniture in a throne room help the story along?
I'm not saying you're wrong about the lack of appearance, but I was more interested in showing you their character as personalities rather than their appearance. I considered how they look as unnecessary fluff. This is the opposite of the 'guess the Star Wars prequel character' drinking game where you can't use their job, their clothes or their appearance to describe them. Jar Jar Binks is the only one that's easy. But with the trio it's easy:
Helpful
Mischievous
Suspicious

Marble Ginger
Thunder Evening
Rivet Joint

I bet you can match at least two, which will automatically give you the third.

As for Merry, she hides her horn, but takes off her coat, so she probably looks like a pegasus.

5538115 I don't think Luna was all that mentally active in the moon, so she wasn't growing during that time. And it's pretty clear she's fairly young in their battles against Discord, so I don;t think mentally she's much older than the Mane 6, but frankly even ponies as old as Mayor Mare show a terrifying lack of insight.
The alicorns were helpless against Discord without the Elements. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Discord could overpower one of them.

5543634 I need to learn how to parent to deal with Luna, can I watch your interaction with Dipper, Marble Ginger, Thunder Evening and Rivet Joint? What conditions and guarantees would you require?
With Discord in the back nodding.

Login or register to comment