• Published 26th Sep 2014
  • 25,787 Views, 551 Comments

Drawn With the Night Into the Day - Dan_s Comments



Fancy travels to Canterlot to fulfill a commission. She decided to toss a few stones in the placid waters to see what turns up.

  • ...
42
 551
 25,787

4) Conflagration

Drawn With the Night Into the Day - Conflagration
by Dan's Comments

DISCLAIMER: My Little Pony is the property of Hasbro, Inc.


"All right, the roads and aqueducts are going well."

The hundreds of ponies nodded at the wisdom of their princess.

"They'll really be something if we ever get any carts or water. The Libraries are merely waiting on books, and therefore paper and ink, but I can assure you those are high on my list of priorities. Along with everything else. Suffice it to say that in the eight years I have been your leader, I have never -"

'Wakey, wakey.'

And Luna was yanked out of the moonscape, but slowly enough that she saw the thousands of pony-shaped, dust golems fade into the lunar soil from which they'd been raised. "Buffalo Brownies!" she growled as she found herself back in the throne-room in Canterlot.

Facing Discord.

Everything fell into place. "You did this to me!" she shouted as she stood. "You dare! You will be punished for this offense against the crown! You will be encased in stone and hidden in the deepest caverns to never see the light of day again!"

When Discord wiped the spittle from his face, Luna wiped the foam from her lips. "You do this then dare show your face to me?"

"I think Celestia will be quite interested in your nocturnal activities, of the last few days, and the last few months. Especially since the toy fair."

Luna shied at that and shook her head.

"And to be perfectly honest, I did nothing to you. I set a barrier around a geographical location, the man has suffered enough. It is hardly my fault you blundered into it being where you had no business being," Discord said calmly, "Your sentence there, is a thousand years. I needed to tell you that, so you won't despair that there is no escape. I also made sure you could wake from the dream. After all, the real fun is watching you walk around all day knowing that when sleep comes, so does 985 more years of unrelenting dread. When sleep stops being a rest from the pressures of the day, but a ravenous enemy you cannot escape. And you can feel your sanity drifting away as sleep nibbles bites of it away, day by day, night by night. Then you might understand and ask for pity from your tormentor. Which I will grant, I'm not you. Since you have no decency, and possess no empathy, I had to make you understand in a way your petty, narcissistic, little brain could comprehend. And give you a 'get out of jail free' card your pride would never let you use. Let's go see dear Celestia, see what she says about your terrifying a foal who has the bad luck to love an innocent you are eager to destroy. I'll let you plead your case to her first, just to be extra-specially fair. Do you really think she'll appreciate what you've been doing?"

Luna paled and drew back, then rallied. "What? Have you become the defender of the downtrodden?" Luna laughed, "This is just another game for you to play and grow tired of. You aren't championing them, you just need a reason to harass your first jailers."

She'd expected him to lash out. He looked at her coldly and replied civilly, without raising his voice. "Perhaps. But if you wish to justify your actions by saying 'I'm better than Discord' you deserve neither that throne, nor the powers you have. Nightmare Moon could arguably make the same claim, but she didn't demand that people love her for her scourgings." Discord walked away as the first light of the day began filtering into the throne room.

Luna dragged herself after the draconequus. Her nightlong nightmares of the past few days had left her groggy and unfocused. Not the best frame of mind to argue from, she thought as she followed.

Celestia was understandably concerned about Discord's presence and his humorless mien. Luna took a few moments to properly set the moon, before facing the pair of them. She realized her mistake as Celestia noted it was three antagonists, not the Pony Sisters against Discord.

"Discord said there's something we need to talk about, and has ceded the floor to you," Celestia said and looked at Luna.

Luna sighed and began to explain her dealings with this threat to Equestria, and Discord too.
------------------------------

Celestia's near legendary tranquility and aplomb had rarely been tested as it had this morning. She had already canceled all her meeting and appointments for the day. She doubted her temper would stand much more.

"Discord," she said sharply, and even the draconequus winced, "What you have done is inexcusable." She noted the smug look from Luna, but ignored it for the moment. "Many ponies depend on Luna and her abilities. Your actions will deny them her skills for quite some time. You will adjust your spell so it only affects Luna for a few minutes at a time, for say five times a night."

Celestia ignored the thump beside her, not caring to see how much and what part of Luna had hit the floor. "You are remanded to Fluttershy's custody, and will remain in her home or in her presence, save when you are preparing a report on not abusing your power, to torment those who haven't harmed you."

Discord at least looked chagrined as he nodded.

"Princess Twilight has much experience preparing excellent reports, you will enlist her aid in preparing said report, which I expect to be complete, written, proofread and ready for presentation in three weeks time. Are we both clear on this?"

"Very clear, your Majesty," Discord said.

"Begone."

And the alicorns were alone.

"My dear sister, it must have been terrible," Celestia said, "Wondering what I'd do when I found out you'd lied to me."

Luna had been approaching, now she backed away.

Celestia examined her hoof, as she spoke, "I do wonder, what else have you lied to me about? How much of my trust have you betrayed?"

"Nothing, Celestia."

"But is that true, or just another lie?" Celestia asked as she looked at Luna. "We did a man a terrible injustice. And when we hemmed in on all sides he who had offered us no threat, he prostrated himself before us and asked simply to be let alone. No threat to expose us, no cry for revenge, just the succor of time and distance to let him heal among his new friends and family. A boon we granted, I granted, and thought you had too. Was not his abject humiliation and acknowledged helplessness before us sufficient for you? Now, how many of your decisions do I have to review to see if you've kept your word to our subjects?"

"Please Celestia," Luna said with tears running down her cheeks.

"No, your Highness, our ponies come first. I love my sister. I had hoped she would understand my disapproval and seek to correct her mistake. But if the Lunar Diarch cannot keep her word, then all we have done is suspect. Our ponies have to trust us, or we cannot help them."

"He's dangerous!" Luna shouted.

"To whom? A maker of toys and a family man?" Celestia replied with equal heat as she walked towards Luna, "To your image that you can do no wrong? To some desire to revenge yourself on one who wounded me? If revenge was to be extracted, it was my right and not yours!" Celestia thundered, "How DARE you attack an innocent in my name! You think I am so weak that I cannot defend myself and my own good name? Then what of your courage? Striking where he cannot hope to strike back, and keeping the excuse of 'I was doing it for Celestia' to deflect any blame! If he is such a threat, have the decency to face him yourself and offer a swift death. To drag it out over weeks and months is sadism, not security. Have the decency to let his family see the blood on your hooves and not make them think his growing madness is their failing." Celestia had backed Luna into a corner and still glared at the quivering mare. "And you dare complain when someone turns the tables on you. Discord did nothing you have not already done. Be glad he withheld his hand further." Celestia stepped back and examined Luna, who shivered at the coldness of the gaze. "Or perhaps he was crueler than I surmise. He left you alone with naught but yourself. A more conniving cellmate I could not imagine. Even an alien who stank of death and terror could not be as foul. In that cell, I had no fear of a knife in the belly in the dead of the night. Be cautious my sister, else she will slip a blade between your ribs and claim it was for my greater glory."

Celestia stormed out, wanting more than anything to vent her full rage at these events. What did Discord say, only the ones you love can make you that mad, she thought, I wonder if he meant angry, or insane?
------------------------------

"But why is it wrong to drag someone out of their nice, safe, comfortable existence and force them into a situation where they think everything is dangerous, and they think everyone is out to get them?" Discord asked Fluttershy as Twilight 'helped' with his report.

"Oh, it's never all right to do something like that," Fluttershy said.

"But, if you're protecting someone very important to you?" Discord asked.

"Discord," Fluttershy said firmly, "I would never want you to do that for me. I can't think of anyone who would." Fluttershy turned and smiled at Twilight. "I'm right, aren't I?"

"Uh, yeah," Twilight said.

"But what if I'm really, really angry?" Discord asked.

Fluttershy shook her head. "It's no excuse. There is a very big difference between helping a friend and becoming, well, a bully yourself." Fluttershy looked over at Twilight who seemed to be trying to cough up her lungs. "Are you all right?" she asked, patting Twilight on the back.

"Fine," Twilight gasped, and glared at Discord.

"Now I can understand how a child might want something like that, but a grown up would never allow something like that to happen. Even if their best friend in the world had been hurt," Fluttershy scolded Discord, "You understand that, right?"

"Maybe Twilight should explain the, well, scholarly reasons for it. I'm kind of new to the whole 'morality' thing. There must be some books around here on moral philosophy."

Fluttershy smiled. "Yes, that's a good idea. I'm sure there's lots of books on it, and I'm sure Twilight can help you find the relevant philosophers. But I have to get some supplies at the market." Fluttershy nudged Twilight. "Don't have too much fun studying." She looked at Discord. "And you behave. Celestia wants you to treat this seriously."

"Of course, I agree that I went too far, and this will get me back in everyone's good graces," Discord said and rubbed his paws together, "So Twilight, where are your books on why mercilessly torturing someone who hurt your friend is wrong? Then maybe we can go crazy and look up why torturing innocent bystanders is wrong too. Won't that be fun?" Party streamers and confetti showered down on both of them to the accompaniment of kazoos.

Fluttershy grinned as she left, it was good to see her friend take something so seriously.
------------------------------

Klein looked at the invitation. Fancy danced nervously, she wanted him to come with and be at her side when the dedication occurred. "The new toys are out and we've got all the bugs out of manufacturing. Do you have any problems with it?" she asked.

" 'Assorted workmen'? Not 'work ponies'?" he said, "Odd phrasing from Equestria."

"You're not nitpicking about that are you?" Fancy asked.

"No, of course not," Klein said, "In fact I'd like you to invite them over. If I'm going to be digging beside them, I want them to know I'm not going to go crazy and beat them over the head with a shovel. I'll even ask the Councillor to bring one of his spice cakes, with some of my fudge frosting. At the cost of planting something symbolic in the garden." He leaned down to let Fancy hug him.

"I thought you'd be paranoid about strange Equestrians near you or wandering in our home," Fancy said.

"Considering Discord is coming in day after tomorrow, I doubt we have to worry about agents of your family doing something stupid." He let her go. "But we are going to have to move the piano to get more space in here, and it'll give me an excuse to paint the wall behind it."

"Okay. Just make sure it matches the rest of the wall," Fancy replied.

"It will once it's ready for the piano to go back," Klein said, "I just figured something weird and conversational for when Discord is here."

Fancy rolled her eyes then waddled off to the bathroom again. "I think my bladder is shrinking."

"They just hug it because it's you," he replied.

"HA!" she replied.

"Need help with the paino?" Dipper said as she arrived.

"Yep, and it's a piano, just because you don't like your lessons," Klein replied as Dipper made a face at him, "I need to get the wheels under it."

"Now what's the first thing your going to say to Discord when he arrives?" Fancy asked.

"Argumenalate tralfaz," Dipper replied.

There was silence from the bathroom as the pair put the piano on the cart.

"That's probably exactly what you're going to say," Fancy said.

"Like mother like daughter," Klein replied, "You're too nervous about this. If you mess up. What's the worse thing that can happen? Her Highness takes it away from you?"

"She gives me three more," Fancy said as she left the bathroom and saw Klein spattering the wall behind the piano with red paint. "What is that?"

"An artist from my home called Jackson Pollack would spatter a canvas with paint to demonstrate the contrast of color and to let the mind create shapes from the chaos. That's a bit avant garde for work ponies, so I'd try something simpler." Klein grinned at her.

"They're definitely going to think we deserve Discord," Fancy agreed.

Once she was out of sight, Klein poked his finger with a needle and added a few smears of blood to the largest paint splotches.
------------------------------

The 'workmen' were not all males, but they were all ponies. Big, strapping Earth ponies to a one. A mix of colors of bodies and manes, but most had a construction or gardening cutie marks. Except for the one large, pale mare who seemed to disappear into the background.

"Welcome, I hope the sudden bad weather didn't cause you any problems," Fancy said as Klein took their coats, "There's hot stew and some mulled cider. I thought we should talk about the actual work before we get out there." She headed into the living room where a diagram was laid out.

One of the stallions and two of the mares remained behind to help with the coats. "What is that?" the stallion asked of the design where the piano had been.

"Oh, a little art, I'll paint over it. That's where the piano will go," Klein said as he hung up the coats.

"It doesn't smell like just paint," the smaller mare leaned close and said.

"I don't want to panic my pregnant wife on the day before her big ceremony," Klein said quietly, "But just between us, I don't think they were really Celestia's commandos. She would have sent more than just eight." Klein pointedly ignored the horrified looks among the trio. "Shall we join the party?" he asked with the last of the coats hung up, "With our luck this snow will be freezing rain by morning, and then what are we going to do?"

The trio nodded as they followed him into the living room, but all of them stared at the haphazard red splotches on the wall as they passed. They could hardly tear their eyes away.
------------------------------

Fancy washed the dishes while Dipper dried. Klein was painting over his 'experiment'. "Did that mare seem awfully concerned about our 'relationship'?" Fancy asked, "I'd forgotten how nosy some ponies can be."

"It's probably how they deal with stress," Klein said as he finished the first coat on the wall. "You saw how she, that stallion and that big mare stayed clumped together. Maybe they were trying to see if we were 'open-minded'."

Fancy glanced at Dipper who was a bit frustrated they were talking over her head again.

"No, there was more to it than that," Fancy said.

"Could be the question of how are you with child? Is parthenogenesis possible or prevalent?" Klein asked as he took up the drop cloth and the other painting gear.

"Not that I've ever heard of. Wait, you're saying they think you aren't the father?" Fancy asked.

"I'm saying they can't figure out how I could be." Klein entered the kitchen and kissed Fancy.

"I can," Dipper said.

"You're smarter than they are," Klein said and kissed her too.
------------------------------

"Rarity, if it's good enough for ma tree, it's good enough for your dresses," Applejack said as they stood around Discord, ready to 'go express' to Multicursal.

"It's just these are very delicate," Rarity said.

"Then they ain't the right dresses for her Archduchessness," Applejack murmured.

"Are you all ready, it's quite cold there?" Discord said.

"I'm ready," Spike said from inside the borrowed parka.

"Good enough," Discord said and they reappeared in the grounds of the Equestrian Embassy. "Tada." Discord leaned down and rapped on the ground. "That's going to be interesting."

"How the hay are they supposed to plant in this ground?" Applejack asked as she stomped on the ground.

"How are they supposed to see my beautiful dresses in this weather?" Rarity asked as she skittered on the ice.

"How about we discuss this inside?" Spike suggested as his teeth began chattering.

"It'll be warmer when the sun's up," Discord said.

"That pale patch of bright in the clouds?" Applejack asked and pointed.

"Uh, ya," Discord said.
------------------------------

The first speech was by Blueblood, and managed to get everyone chuckling by his constant references to the vast expanse, immense population and huge resources of this 'new' province. What a grave responsibility and huge administrative effort running it would require. It transitioned into Fancy's history of familial and personal loyalty to Celestia. Which had Fancy chuckling.

Then he stepped aside. Klein pulled a pair of axes out of the barrel of tools he'd brought.

"Oh no, he's seen through your disguise," Discord wailed as he hid behind a particular trio, "I mean he's going to kill us all."

"Discord, everyone knows you use a shotgun on horses, not an axe," Klein said as he dropped the axe in front of the large mare, her two companions were nearly apoplectic, but the mare picked up the ax and chopped through the frozen layer of turf to the softer ground below. She and Klein started on opposite sides and they circled around until they'd cut away a 'lid' that Discord lifted into the air.

"We'll cut a slot for your tree," Discord told Applejack.

As the others spoke, they also scattered seeds or seedlings into the earth. Finally Discord broke up the slab of frozen turf and set it down around the seedlings and over the seeds. Leaving the small apple tree surrounded by smaller plants. The more experienced gardeners provided cover for the plants against the cold.

The rest of the group headed into the Embassy to get out of the cold, and they sought out the small buffet that had been laid out. Applejack, Klein and the large mare were the notables who worked outside with the gardeners.
------------------------------

It was evening, and Fancy had invited Blueblood, Rarity and Applejack back to their home. Once they were settled in, and Dipper was tucked in, Klein returned to the living room, and saw the letters the Bearers had written.

Neither Rarity nor Applejack were pleased Klein hadn't read them.

"We're not good enough fer ya?" Applejack said.

"There is nothing you had to say that was the least bit interesting to me. Just because someone sends a letter, that doesn't mean you have to read it," Klein replied.

"Tain't polite," Applejack said, and ignored Rarity's soft warning.

"Why? Is it polite to waste my time? I have a family to look after and a business to run. I owe them my time and attention first and foremost. People on another continent I will never visit are possible customers, nothing more."

"The fact we are Twilight's friends has nothing to do with it?" Rarity asked and glared at Applejack to keep her quiet.

"I told their Highnesses, I wanted nothing to do with them, any of them. They agreed." Klein gestured at the letters, "Going around the letter of the agreement to violate the spirit does her cause no favors."

"So you think these are some attempt to explain away what happened?" Rarity asked.

"The other four are," Fancy said, "Yours asks for details. Since I suspected you were coming, I thought it might be a good place to learn." She looked at Klein. "I know your 'contract' with the Princesses was they leave you alone for your silence. But neither Luna nor Twilight has lived up to their end of the agreement."

"There comes a time when these things need to be out in the open," Blueblood added.

Klein sat down in front of the fire, and rearranged the bed of coals before adding another log. That done, and his decision made, he got a mop bucket from the broom closet and returned to the table. "All right. The first time any of you say 'she'd never do that' or some other such nonsense, you, your hat and coat get thrown out into the street. I will admit, I know nothing of their motivations, and could care less. I will tell you what happened to me."

He began, starting with 'I was taken from my home and family without warning', leaving out he was an alien and telling them what happened from there. After a little while, Applejack took full advantage of the bucket. When she was done, Klein dumped it out, then rinsed it out.

"I would have thought it would be one of us," Blueblood said to Rarity.

"It might," Fancy warned, looking as queasy as the others.

Klein continued his tale. While none of them needed to use the bucket again, it was a near thing, even for Fancy. Klein stood near the mantle, staring at the wall while the fire burned merrily in the grate. His tone was emotionless, his descriptions clinical. He was not trying for sympathy, but the ponies were revolted and frightened. He ended his story after the point he woke up in the hospital.

"I took some time to get healthy and do my research. Once I had enough, I tried to escape and I succeeded. I landed in Minotaura, and heard that Multicursal was even farther off the beaten path. So I settled here. The rest you can read in the newspapers."

Applejack reached over to her letter, then flipped it into the fire. "I think I see why Princess Sparkle never talked about it," she said.

"They never tried to apologize?" Rarity asked her head bowed and her ears tight against her head.

"They tried to lure him back to Canterlot with a Royal Commission, so they could explain, but that's hardly an apology," Fancy said, "At least I hope they were trying to explain, they could have wanted to use reform spells on him. Make sure he was no threat to Equestria or Celestia. Another princess has been mucking around his dreams to determine the same thing. It seems they won't take 'yes' for an answer."

None of the Equestrians looked comfortable with that assertion.

"Twilight does get a bit eccentric when Celestia is involved," Rarity said.

"I've read a few of the wilder reports," Klein said as he stepped away from the fireplace, "When even Discord tries to change the subject, you realize they are inaccurate because they cleaned them up." He shrugged. "You asked, now you've heard. Equestria as far as I'm concerned is someone elses' problem. I have customers there. That's all I want. Before you ask, I am not interesting in being friends. They say you can judge someone by their friends and by their enemies. Princesses Twilight and Luna are your friends, Discord is your enemy, that doesn't speak well of you from my point of view."

Klein and Fancy chuckled at Rarity and Applejack's expression.

"You'd trust Discord, before you'd trust Twilight?" Applejack asked. Her tone indicated she thought she was dealing with rampant insanity.

Klein put a finger on his chin. "Trust the one who taught our child about snowflakes."

"Chocolate rain," Fancy added, equally thoughtful.

"The changing of the leaves."

"About microbes and that unseen world."

"About the play of suns and moons and gravity."

"About thinking outside the box."

"Or trust someone who kidnaped me," Klein said.

"Tortured you," Fancy added.

"Poisoned me."

"Sent a false commission to lure you back to her 'tender' care."

"And simultaneously, callously crushed your hopes of a happy return."

"Discord or Twilight?" Fancy asked.

"Discord," the pair said together.

"Given your experiences," Blueblood said, "I can hardly fault your logic. But if you'd met her under better circumstances, you might think differently."

"The commission came over a year after my escape," Klein said as he sat down beside Fancy. She put her head in his lap and draped her forelegs over his legs. The other three ponies looked on with interest as Klein began scratching her behind the years. "If she couldn't let go in a year, she'll never let go. That's a good indicator I saw her in a typical light. Besides, as I said, other than customers, Equestria has nothing to offer."

"You could go home," Blueblood said.

"This is our home," Fancy said, "Yes, the council is led by a crook, but he's an honest and reliable crook. You pay your taxes and the occasional bribe to get his 'help' and your entire life runs very smoothly. That farce with the charity figurines wouldn't be tolerated. Someponies would be woken in the middle of the night, gathered with their family and given a stern lecture, perhaps followed by a beating. Not the most civilized behavior, but a far cry from ensorceling a trio of fillies, then a whole town, just to make something to report on."

"Twi'd just tangled with Discord," Applejack said, "She weren't all ways right in the head."

"Is that why you raced to her defense, before checking on your own sister?" Fancy asked. She looked up as Klein tickled her ear. He shook his head. "I apologize, that was uncalled for."

"I can see how that might look to an outsider," Rarity said, "But I assure you it was an aberration."

"I think her point was that it's not that great an aberration for Canterlot nobles," Blueblood said, "You've felt it, on several occasions. It is far worse when nobles are playing against each other."

"The point isn't to run down your home," Klein said, "But to point out, it isn't ours. There's no purpose for me ever going there. About the only people who live there we'd want to visit, can come here just as easily. So I don't see any reason to entertain the idea that what the Princesses want is important. To their subjects or in their country, yes. To someone on the far size of the world, no, not at all. If they harbor the idea that if just one person on the planet doesn't trust them, and wouldn't care about them, has to somehow be rectified or all the world is doomed, they've got a bigger problem. I don't hate your friend and your rulers, I am apathetic about them. That they can't or won't reciprocate is not my problem."

"At least you're honest about it," Rarity said quietly, getting a snort of laughter from Applejack. "And you been more than generous to put us up for the night."

"Our pleasure," Klein said.
------------------------------

Applejack and Rarity had taken an airship, and then a train back to Ponyville, while Spike and Blueblood had been returned days earlier by Discord.

The town had turned out to greet their heroines returning in triumph.

"Now for the superest, most stupendiferous party in pony history," Pinkie shouted as the pair exited the train. The journey had clearly been long and hard on the pair. They seemed very tired.

"Well, did you enjoy yourselves, anything you want to tell us?" Twilight said and grinned.

"Yes, yer Highness," Applejack said quietly, giving Twilight a flat stare.

Twilight winced at the tone and Applejack's piercing gaze.

"But it can wait until after the party, then we are going to have a talk," Rarity said, "About trust."

Twilight fought desperately to remember an appointment, any appointment that would get her out of there.
------------------------------

Pony hooves and their ability to grip had always amazed Klein. Like being held off the ground by the throat, by his lovely wife.

"YOU DID THIS TO ME!" she calmly informed him, Minotaura, Griffonstan, and likely most of Equestria.

He would have reminded her to breathe, if he could have himself.

"You've dilated nicely," the doctor crouched below said.

"Even the doctor wants you to die," Fancy said and grinned at him. A grin that would have sent any of the ponies' ancient enemies fleeing for their lives. She released him as another contraction peaked.

He let her lean against him and rubbed her back. "You're doing fine, keep breathing."

"I want them OUT!" she said, ending in an utterly crushing grip on his shoulders.

"One of them heard you," the doctor said, "Just push."

Fancy gnawed the collar of his shirt as she grunted with effort. The sound of Dipper's new little brother sounded through the room, and for a moment Fancy forgot the pain.

But only for a moment. "I'm going to have you fixed!"

Again everyone was glad the nurse in the corner had the only sharp objects in the room as she cut and tied off the cord.
------------------------------

Shadow Lightning and Buzz paced the floor. Discord was playing cards with Discord and Dipper. A functionary from the embassy awaited word to transmit to the capital.

"I could speed things up," Discord offered.

"That's not how it works," Dipper said, "And quit eating your ante."

Discord set the candies down and stared.

Klein walked out, and everyone stared.

"What happened to you?" Dipper asked with alarm.

Klein, battered, his collar half chewed off, a black eye, and an absolute shit-eating grin knelt to kiss Dipper. "Your little brother and little sisters are fine, as is your mom." He winced slightly as Dipper jumped into his arms. "Easy honey, your mom's awfully strong."

"Now we know why ponies try to talk you out of being in there," Buzz said.

"Wild horses weren't going to keep me out," he replied.

"Can I see them?" Dipper said as she pronked excitedly.

"They're getting cleaned up," Klein said, "We can see them in about 20 minutes, and yes we includes you, Discord. As long as you promise not to go into the nursery. We can look at them through the window."

Klein looked at the functionary as he sat down. "I don't care what their Highnesses hear about them being alicorns, they cannot visit. Period."

"Al - i - corns," the functionary managed before fainting.

"They aren't really?" Dipper asked.

"I never said they were. Why don't we walk over and see?" Klein said.

"DADDY!" Dipper complained, but she relented when she saw how tired he was. "Mommy's okay."

"As tired as I am, but okay," he said as she jumped up on the chair beside him, and hugged him more gently.
------------------------------

" 'I don't care what their Highnesses hear about them being alicorns, THEY CANNOT VISIT. PERIOD,' " Luna shrieked as she stomped around the throne room, "How dare he!? How dare he!? HOW DARE HE!?" The walls of the throne room shook with her rage.

WHAM!

"Sigged, foofall miter fink," Luna said as she sagged to the ground.

Discord examined the hunk of wood he'd just clouted Luna with. The 'Clue Bat' passed his inspection, then he hid it behind his back as he looked at Celestia.

She frowned at him. "Normally, I would be incensed by your violence towards my sister." Celestia sighed, "However, are they actually alicorns?"

"No," Discord said, "A unicorn colt and filly, and a pegasus filly."

"I see," Celestia said, she glanced at her scribe, "Take a letter." She glanced at Discord. "Please stay, and I'll let you deliver the letter you just read, to Princess Sparkle."

Discord nodded.

"To Councilor Oleaginous, apply all his ruffles, flourishes and titles. From: Her Highness Princess Celestia. No further titles or flourishes. We wish to celebrate with you the news that the Thunder-Bottle family has grown today. In our joy we would ask a boon."

"Personal favor," Discord said.

"Personal favor?" Celestia asked, and Discord nodded, "Personal favor. Would you be able to arrange diaper service for the family and their three newborns?" She noted Discord's grin and nod, and continued, "For a period of a year and a half, at the crown's expense."

Celestia paused. "Offer of agent, 10%?"

"No, but do arrange a charitable donation to a few of his favorites. Don't link them directly. But have the donations arrive at the same time as the request."

Celestia nodded. "Does Multicursal have a diaper service? The embassy couldn't answer."

"If not, they will soon enough," Discord said, "Well played. I don't think even Klein will refuse this."

"Especially coming through a trusted second-hand as it were," Celestia said and nodded.

Discord vanished.

Luna staggered to her hooves. "What hit me?" she asked and gingerly rubbed the lump on her head.

"Discord," Celestia said, "He was quite sensitive about his pregnancy," Celestia said and looked for the tea tray. When she looked back, Luna was flat on the floor again. She poured herself a cup and enjoyed the warm sweetness.