• Published 26th Sep 2014
  • 25,768 Views, 551 Comments

Drawn With the Night Into the Day - Dan_s Comments



Fancy travels to Canterlot to fulfill a commission. She decided to toss a few stones in the placid waters to see what turns up.

  • ...
42
 551
 25,768

3) The Conjugation

Drawn With the Night Into the Day - The Conjugation
by Dan's Comments

DISCLAIMER: My Little Pony is the property of Hasbro, Inc.


The Archduchess of Legatio Indispositus Ortus, Fancy Thunder, walked through the halls of Canterlot and was pursued by a wave of curtsies as she walked. She did it on purpose. Well, she does everything on purpose, but this was particularly on purpose, she thought as she walked. It had been most disturbing when Celestia had bowed to her at breakfast, and kicked Luna under the table when she hadn't. At least Cadence nominally 'outranked her', so she wasn't playing the idiotic game.

The problem is, when Celestia plays a game, even in private, it suddenly becomes the favorite pastime of every pony in Canterlot, she thought of the bow she got from some officious frump, and sent her away in screaming terror when Fancy bowed back, And either act like it isn't game or don't know it is. The mare rolled her eyes and hoped Discord was getting a laugh out of all of this.

Especially when my Archduchy is a small 'Chaos Garden' in the Multicursal Embassy, she thought of that particular revelation, Klein's going to disown me, or laugh himself sick, or both.

Then she spotted the two people she'd been looking for, and an added bonus. I get to 'rescue' Princess Sparkle, then drive the screws in, perfect, she thought as she approached Prince Blueblood haranguing the Princess about book binding.

"Prince Blueblood," she said and had to endure the bows. "I was looking all over for you, and Spike, I was going to look you up next."

"Whatever your need is, I would be honored to fulfill it," Blueblood said and Sparkle rolled her eyes.

"Well, I'll be going," Twilight said, "Spike don't forget our meeting with the Princess." She started walking away.

"The inception of the garden," Fancy began, and Sparkle froze in midstep, "I was going to impose on you about officiating at it, and Spike I was hoping you could act as intermediary to the Apple family, on obtaining an appropriate cultivar."

"You want the Apples to give you a tree?" Spike asked.

"I want the Apples to sell me a tree, and Applejack to help supervise its planting," Fancy said and noticed the frozen princess a few hoofsteps away. "I'd want a noble from Equestria with a more extensive pedigree, and a mare of good down to earth stock to show Klein that not all Canterlot nobility and Equestrian mares are slavering monsters wanting to rip his guts open and parade them through the palace in triumph."

Blueblood and Spike glanced at the princess, still facing away, who looked like someone had hit her squarely between the ears with a sledge hammer.

Fancy continued, "And afterwards, you might indulge Klein and let him show off his factory and some of the innovations."

Fancy had heard that Sparkle could teleport, she got ample proof as the mare managed to swap ends and halve the distance without moving. She was also drooling.

"Wouldn't that be rather unscrupulous?" Blueblood asked, "Despite my reputation, that's practically industrial espionage."

Fancy waved his concern away. "Nonsense, when we got that phony commission earlier, he said he'd be willing to let some of our secrets slip, if I could return to Canterlot in triumph."

"You achieved that," Spike said.

"Beside, you stallions are all alike, you love to show off to someone who understands." Fancy giggled, and so did Blueblood. She grinned evilly to Spike. "Of course, if Spike can get some time off, I might have him smuggle Rarity out so we can have appropriate raiments. The Princesses and Empress seem to go with a minimalist approach, as an Archduchess, I should as well."

"Rarity?" Blueblood said, glancing around nervously, "She's an excellent designer, but, ah, uh, umm."

"They have a history," Spike explained.

She patted Blueblood's shoulder. "Don't worry, I'll have a talk with her before I let her near you with any pins," Fancy said, "After what happened to me, can you imagine what your mother would have done to her? And your dear, little sister? If there's a more vicious hinny in all of Canterlot than my sister-in-law, it would be your little sister. I half expected to find out she was the second torturer Klein faced when he was here." She noted that both Spike and Blueblood were practically staring at Sparkle, but Fancy refused to look, the pair's horror was enough of a clue. "Upper Crust was the perfect choice, utterly without scruples as long as she's brown-nosing a societal superior, and ruthlessly cruel to those below her. 'Kiss up, shit down', Klein called it. It would explain his nightmares perfectly. If you'd skinned Rarity alive, it would have been less than what your family would have done to her."

"Unfortunately true," Blueblood admitted and glanced past Fancy to Sparkle again.

"Besides, I'll just tell her you and Spike recommended her," Fancy said, and watched Spike keel over. "Oh dear. Oh Princess Sparkle, I know you're in a hurry, so I won't keep you any longer, forgive me for monopolizing your assistant, but he's such a clever chap, and so well connected."

Twilight of the Frazzled Mane laughed nervously as she collected Spike.

Fancy led Blueblood away from the completely disordered princess. "Klein has some absolutely fascinating ideas, but our facilities are at maximum stretch, you might be able to help," she said as they walked away.

"You're laying it on a bit thick," Blueblood whispered, "Besides, if he's got ideas on book binding, that should be the nail to use."

"Well, he did have to explain to me what 'make a xerox' meant," Fancy said, "It seems a process that magic would make simple."
------------------------------

There was probably a desire to have a movie crew on hand in the Royal Rose Garden nearest the private landing pad. It wasn't every day a draconequus had a tearful parting. Dipper was making almost as much noise as Discord. The scene was heart-wrenching. Most of the ponies who'd assembled were in tears. Fluttershy was distraught by osmosis, and a group of her friends were consoling her. The other pegasus in the group looked revolted by the entire event.

"Honey, you have to let Discord go," she told her foal on her back.

"Don' wanna!" Discord said and he and Dipper howled louder.

"Discord, Dipper Doodle!" Fancy said in her 'mommy' voice.

Both fell silent.

"Discord, there are a few national holidays. I can talk about getting you an invitation. I'm certain that Dipper would love to see you, and I'm certain Klein will enjoy meeting you," Fancy said reasonably, "Dipper you don't want to leave Klein all alone?"

"No." The little one looked properly ashamed.

"Then give Discord a hug, and we'll be on our way," Fancy said, ignoring the stifled cry from the blue pegasus. She held Dipper up so she could hug Discord and give him a kiss on the nose. Then to Discord's surprise Fancy hugged him. "Thank you for looking after her. I see she enjoyed your outings a lot."

She tried to ignore the startled cry, but when she did look, all she saw was a long piece of rainbow hair and a blue wing protruding from where Applejack and Rarity were sitting, side-by-side, smiling broadly, and looking impossibly innocent.

She let that go, as well as the faint whimpers and twitching tail/wing emanating from the pair's `seat`. Her 'knights' fell into formation.

"You still one crazy," Dame Buzz said.

"Yep," Fancy agreed and let Dipper play peekaboo with Discord until they boarded the airship to take them back to Multicursal.
------------------------------

"I simply must come up with the appropriate raiments," Rarity said as the airship disappeared from sight.

"Considering it's all gardening, a set of work duds would be your best choice," Applejack said, shaded her eyes to try and spot the ship. Pinkie and Fluttershy were consoling Discord. She and Rarity shrugged at that.

"Guys, I'm calmed down now, can you let me up?" Rainbow asked.

"Applejack, did you hear something?" Rarity asked.

"Thought I heard a Pinkie Promise almost gettin' blown to kindling," Applejack said, "What's wrong with work duds, if her Archduching is weedin' her garden, ya need to look royal-like doin' that. Easy ta clean too."

"I accept the premise, but it seems, so, well, blah," Rarity said.

"Their Highness' stuff is pretty plain, compared to some fashion, maybe it's a high royalty thing. Once you get up there y'all can look like regular folks with just a smidge of fancy," Applejack said.

"But the right smidge!" Rarity said.

Applejack nodded.

"Guys!" came from beneath them.

"It just seems that for such a post it requires something special," Rarity said.

"Understated elegance," Fluttershy offered as she approached, wiping her eyes. She glanced pointedly at the ground.

"Oh dear," Rarity asked as she and Applejack moved aside, "Rainbow, how did you wind up down there?"

She and Applejack both managed to keep their straight faces for a few moments at Rainbow's incredulous expression, then they both burst out laughing.

"Hey, Twilight," Rainbow called as she shook out her wings, "How come you didn't get an invite, you being royalty and all?"

"Ah," Twilight began, and began sweating bullets, "That's a very good questions. Umm, oh dear, I have to change the wax in the oven, bye." The youngest alicorn teleported away. Pinkie wandered over and looked closely at the spot Twilight had occupied.

"You see," Discord began, "Fancy's man, Klein, met Sparklettes first, and Princess Luna. There were chains and threats and deep passion involved. And when she broke it off, he ate a bunch of poison."

"You're making that up!" Applejack insisted.

"Ask one of the Princesses," Discord said, then leaned close, "But Applejack, Rarity, don't bring it up around Klein. Or his friends," Discord warned, "He didn't so much leave Equestria, and Canterlot, and Princesses Luna and Sparkle, as escape from them. Poor, brokenhearted Sparklettes even used Celestia's name in vain to lure him back into her, their, tender embrace. He rejected her outright, then in front of all the princesses and an international crowd said he wanted nothing to do with them or Equestria." He sighed and laid a hand to his brow like the beginning of a swoon, "Like many such stories of youngsters who don't understand love, immature mistakes scar so much more deeply than more experienced would suffer, and they can be made to sound thoroughly sordid so easily. So I won't gossip, and I'd advise you don't either."

The group took off in pursuit of Twilight.

Spike growled at Discord, then face-palmed as he foresaw unscrewing Twilight from the ceiling when they asked, or worse, when she found out they'd asked Celestia first.
------------------------------

The arrival of the airship at Multicursal showed a good deal more pageantry than her arrival in Equestria. Dipper had cried herself to sleep, and was now up and moping a bit, but in better spirits. Her team could hardly believe what was waiting for them. The embassy staff, and the high muckety-mucks of Multicursal were collected under a fancy banner. Except for Councilor Oleaginous, who stood with Klein and their friends under a simpler banner. The minotaur held up a massive spice cake, one he likely baked himself and one of the causes of his spectacular girth.

"He would deserve to go to Canterlot," Buzz said.

"Or they would deserve him coming," the pegasus said.

"I have a terrible feeling Celestia would love dealing with him," Fancy said, "As long as she wasn't the only recipient of his attention. If he sent one or two of those with chocolate icing to Celestia, he could probably 'blackmail' her into granting full nation status to Multicursal."

"Only Equestria," Stone Blizzard said.

"No, she'd grant it, or strong arm it from every other nation," Fancy said, "There are stories about Celestia and cake."

They walked down the gangplank, Buzz was cradling Dipper. Fancy was in the lead with Stone Blizzard as the tail of the column. Her first stop was her friends, and to deal with the inevitable teasing, perhaps legally required with so many Equestrian witnesses. Fancy drew herself up and gave the 'International' salute. It wasn't quite the military salute of Minotaura, nor Griffastan, nor Equestria, but it was close enough it would only offend true purists, who should instantly recognize it for what it was. She'd been so glad to find the sergeant with the sideburns who taught her that salute. I hope he enjoys the knighthood, she thought, I didn't have anything else handy.

While several of the protocol folks among the Equestria group let out a screech, her friends all did a passable job of duplicating the salute.

One of the Equestrian officials came charging over, only to be tackled by two of the guards and dragged back to the rest of the group.

"That's not what the protocol calls for!" the struggling nitpicker shouted.

"I wasn't aware there'd ever been an Archduchess since the absorption of the Pegasi into Equestria," the councilor said, "Grand Duke and Archduke because King and Emperor were seen as insufficiently militant."

"I don't even want to know what's the correct way to greet an Archduchess," Fancy said, "If it's from the Three Kingdoms Period, it probably involves abasement and the spilling of blood."

She stood on her hind legs and hugged Klein. "I missed you."

"I'm glad you made it back," he replied as he hugged her back, "Considering all the rumors, we weren't sure that they were going to let you come back."

Fancy hugged him tighter. "That's why she made me outrank her, so I could get away."

"You'd better go calm them down before they do something foolish," he told her and kissed her forehead.

She nodded and headed to the embassy staff. Klein had picked up Dipper, and soon had her giggling.
------------------------------

Fancy remembered the few times she'd been in Klein's house. How small it seemed: kitchen, large closet, bedroom, bathroom and a room full of books. Considering he 'lived' at the factory, she was hardly surprised. Stone Blizzard had taken Dipper for the night, giving Fancy the chance to spend some time with Klein. More importantly, to test his reaction to Discord's 'payment'. She'd tried it on back in Canterlot, and had been disappointed. Until Discord had explained 'the Uncanny Valley'.

'You won't move like a human, so if you look just like one, you won't be beautiful, you'll be disturbing,' he'd told her, 'But if you look a little pony-like, then your movements being pony-like will be acceptable, even exotic.'

She'd wondered about the rather odd shape and construction of what Discord had assured her would appeal to Klein. She had been very glad the change included the confidence of walking on two legs instead of four. She couldn't shake the feeling she was constantly falling and only hundreds of subtle movements of her feet prevented her from face-planting on the carpet. She also remembered to wear clothes, like Klein always did, but the clothing Discord had suggested seemed both undersized and spartan even by Klein's austere standards.

When Klein returned from hanging up their coats, she saw that Discord had payed her in full, and honestly. It was in her reaction that she realized Discord played his joke. While Klein's eyes roamed her body, sheathed in a 'little, black dress', she found herself flushing as she gave Klein a similar examination.

He's gorgeous! she thought hungrily. She was almost disappointed when he tore his eyes away from lustily admiring her.

"Fancy, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to stare," he said, blushing as he said it.

"You were supposed to stare," she said, letting herself glide forward. "It was my payment from Discord." She took his hands and wrapped them around her, then embraced him. She kissed him as he seemed to be struggling with a question. "Because I love you. That you aren't comfortable with ponies I fully understand now. But you have been a better father to Dipper than her sire ever was, and I want more foals, and for you to be both sire and father. And when I've sat with you, held you, your hand, your nightmares seem less. Maybe I can keep them away." She snuggled against him, and marveled at the feel of the soft cloth moving over her bare skin. On a whim, she ran her fingers through his hair. "Oh, so that's why you like scratching behind my ears."

"I like scratching behind your ears because of how much you enjoy it." He leaned down and kissed her, running his fingers through her hair. They'd kissed before, but not like this. She hadn't felt like this even kissing her former husband.

They broke apart blushing furiously, and stood clutched against each other staring at each other for quite a while.

I swear Discord looked into the future and told me all this, Fancy thought.

"I want to watch over your dreams, we don't have to do anything else until you're comfortable." She buried her face in his chest. "But I'm comfortable right now." She stood holding him, and being held, listening him breathing. Occasionally he'd nuzzle her head, but he seemed to just enjoy what they had.

She felt her heart would burst out of her chest as he picked her up and set her on the bed. She was shocked as he removed the ring from her horn. She reverted to her unicorn form.

"You're a unicorn. If we care about each other, I need to accept that you aren't going to hurt me," he said as he took off his shirt and climbed into the bed next to her and gathered her close. "And I apologize for whatever happens. They've, been getting worse."

"I'll keep an eye on you. Rest. I'll be here." She almost squeaked as he gathered her in and held her.

She watched him, intently. Then about an hour in, his face contorted. Not fear, anger, real rage, and she felt it too. He wasn't the helpless victim in his dreams, but an active participant, even an active combatant. "You're dreaming, take control," she whispered, "You're dreaming, take control."

He made some noises she couldn't identify, then dropped into a deeper, more dreamless sleep. She settled in and watched him for a while, before letting herself sleep.
------------------------------

Her guards usually didn't wake Celestia from her slumbers. Luna was more than able to handle most challenges. But if she couldn't, then both sisters would win or lose together.

What she did not expect was a vaguely scorched and thoroughly sunburnt Luna tippy-hoofing around the throne room with the medics trying to keep up. She looked for all the world like she'd laid out in the sun too long.

A week too long, she wondered, How did that happen at night?

"What did you do?" Celestia said in her best 'disapproving, big sister' tones.

Luna cringed, allowing the medics to catch up and pour the soothing balms on her. "I went and looked into his dreams. I thought that with Fancy returned, he would see sense. Well, he gave me a box of sun in response."

I am going to ignore for the moment that she broke my word and hers, Celestia thought.

"You mean a box of sunlight? That's how you got sunburned?" Celestia asked, glad she was angry, so she wouldn't laugh at the nurses' actions, and Luna's less than pleased reactions.

"No, a box of sun, like a piece of the actual sun in a box. Although he called it a 'pony nuke'. If this is the pony version, I hope he never builds a real one for some other race. Somepony else could be seriously hurt by it."
------------------------------

When Fancy walked into the office, she knew the sway of her hips and tail would give a message that wasn't completely true, yet. But the first steps had been taken together and Klein seemed as willing, and eager, to walk the road as she was. Her joy took a hit as the entire office staff suddenly stood and saluted.

Only a few giggles let her in on the joke. She saluted back, and they all laughed together.

"Somebody got a happy," one of the older 'office ladies' said.

"I did not," Fancy replied haughtily, "I just drove away his bad dreams."

"So that's what you young people are calling it now?" The old minotaur said. Everyone laughed with Fancy.

"I hope Dipper wasn't too much trouble," Fancy said to Stone Blizzard.

"Not at all," the minotaur said, "Although I'd let her sleep, I let her stay up all night doing chores. She was lighting the way with her horn to scrub and polish, until she finally exhausted herself."

Fancy blanched a little at that, but she could get Dipper back on a regular schedule soon enough. "You let your kids do that?"

"My father is an astronomer, and my husband is between painting jobs, so there's always someone awake and around."

Fancy nodded, she'd known about Blizzard's husband, but not her father's profession.

"I also suspect that the garden, especially the apple tree will have to wait until next spring. That's when moving a tree is the safest."

"It'll also give her recent Highness' friends time to ask about events," Fancy said, "That will also be entertaining to think about."

"It won't do any good," Blizzard said quietly, "The ponies in that city are the best at 'that's somepony else's problem'. You didn't grow up until you had a problem you couldn't share with anypony. And had to rely on someone else."

Fancy frowned, but nodded. "I guess that's what makes me so mad. Seeing what I was exaggerated and hurting my friends."

"Then take your man's path. You live your life and let the rest of them hang. If The Undiminished Sun is really their all and god, then her subtle disapproval will be all the lash they'll feel, even if you set them on fire."

"Thanks. It's good to have people wiser than me."

"Glad you didn't say 'older'," Blizzard said.

"I said it once to Klein, and he told me 'It's not the years, it's the miles'," Fancy replied.
------------------------------

"Please," Discord pleaded with Applejack as he stood beside her stand as she sold apple preserves.

The farmpony pulled her hat over her face. "You were less annoyin' when you were scrambling mah brain."

"But if you tell me what I want, then I'll go away," Discord countered. Fluttershy was all giggles and Rarity was maintaining a ladylike smirk as they paused in their shopping.

"If'n y'all transplant a tree in fall, it'll die durin' the winter. Especially as cold as it gets out there," Applejack said through her fraying patience.

Fluttertree and Discord-tree stared at Applejack. "Transformations a specialty, spring, summer, winter, fall, all within my finger tips." Then he and Fluttershy were back.

Fluttershy nudged him and smiled hopefully. Discord sighed and changed her back into a tree. "Sometimes you ponies are disturbing."

He had to wait while Applejack got over her giggles.

"It's cold, the ground is hard, here's not much rain, trees store up food for the winter like squirrels do, and transplanting's a big shock. Too much of one along with the new climate. That's what kills the tree." Applejack stared at Discord. "Now do ya understand why I want to wait for early spring time?"

"But that's months from now!" Discord said, "I can just make it spring there, forever and ever," he said and laughed maniacally. Then he glanced at the tree. "Oh all right, have it your way. At least tell me you have a good tree picked out." The entire group and the stand appeared amid Sweet Apple Acres.

Applejack snorted, but accepted Rarity's placating motions. "Good fer your needs, not good for mine," Applejack said as she led then to a healthy looking, but very small tree. "It should be three times this size, but it stays little. It only produces a hoofful of apples too. That may be jist the right tree fer your garden."

"I concur. A small tree for a tabletop garden," Rarity said, "Well picked." She hid her grin at Discord's and Applejack's groans.

Fluttershy joined them and looked at the tree Applejack was proposing to send. "It looks like a brave little tree."

"That it is," Applejack said, then looked at Rarity, "You got more answers about that Klein fella than what Discord told us when ArchDuchess Thunder left? Every time I bring it up ta Twi, she runs off."

"Unfortunately, Princess Celestia affirmed everything Discord said, then suggested we broach the subject with Princesses Luna or Twilight. Both have been reacting to my queries as Twilight has to yours."

Discord hummed loudly and rocked back and forth on his heels.

The two mares briefly considered, but then winked at each other.

"Well, we'll never figure out what's ailin' them," Applejack said as she and Rarity walked back to the stand.

"If it is private, we shouldn't pry," Rarity agreed.

"It does bug me that Twi and the Princess won't confide in us," Applejack said.

"Maybe she's embarrassed by what happened," Fluttershy said as she joined them around the stand, "I mean, you know how she sometimes gets."

"I guess we'll have to wait until she's ready to tell us," Applejack raised her voice to get over Discord's humming.

"It is probably for the best," Rarity nearly shouted, "After all such delicate emotional states must be terribly uncomfortable. Unrequited love can be so romantic."

"Are you sure it's unrequited?" Fluttershy asked as loudly as she could, "He could have run away so he didn't have to decide between them."

"Then what's he doing with Fancy?" Applejack shouted over Discord's humming.

"Applejack!" Rarity shouted sharply, "A lady does not gossip about such things."

"Uhm, Discord," Fluttershy asked as she patted the draconequus, causing him to fall silent, "Did you have something to say?"

The group rematerialized in the market, right where they'd left from. "Well. Not really, at least nothing actually interesting," the draconequus mused, "Just that you haven't been taking all that Fancy said at face value, rather than as teasing."

"Okay, I'll bite. What the hay happened?" Applejack said.

"Well, I'm no gossip, but this is what I heard," Discord said.
------------------------------

Fancy collected the mail from the carrier and slipped inside to escape the biting cold. She smirked about Dipper carefully drawing using the pens and a pantograph of the drafting table under Klein's watchful eye. The bound collection of letters caught her eye and she unwrapped them. There was one from each of the Element Bearers, save one, and all addressed to Klein.

"Love letters from your fans," Fancy said as she hoofed over the letters.

Klein looked at them, and his expression grew more confused. "I'll take them to the 'fan letter' team. They'll get a nice form letter in return."

"I think those are different. Those are the Bearers of the Elements of Harmony, Equestria's greatest heroines," Fancy said. She wasn't surprised when all of them went into the trash.

"Is there something about 'leave me alone' that Her Majesty doesn't understand, or is she so worried about me maybe telling the world that she has to badger me?" Klein asked and turned back to the lesson he was giving Dipper. "Okay, use the triangle to get the angles," he told Dipper before returning his attention to Fancy.

"Celestia is used to getting her way," Fancy said, "Or it could really be the others." She retrieved the letters from the wastepaper basket. When Klein frowned, she explained, "If you didn't want me to read them, you would have tossed them in the fire."

"If I wanted to piss off Her Majesty and the royal patrol, I'd invite Discord to the Solstice celebration."

"Would you?!" Dipper asked excitedly.

"No. But if you write him a letter, I'll proofread it and countersign," Klein said.

"My writing's terrible!" Dipper said and teared up.

"Then practice, practice, practice." He lifted her out of the drafting chair and set her on the floor. Then he collected some scratch paper and some pencils. "Practice." He and Fancy shared a smile as Dipper set to work.

Fancy was reading over the letters when she scrunched up her face. "Are you sure there are no hoofball players in your family?" She got up and headed for the bathroom. "I think one of them just tried to kick my bladder for a goal."

"You wanted foals," Klein said.

"Not three at once," Fancy said as she closed to door to the bathroom.

"She says it's all your fault," Dipper supplied.

"Wait until the delivery," Klein said, "She's going to blame me for Nightmare Moon before it's over."

Dipper giggled.

"I heard that," Fancy called from the bathroom.

Klein and Dipper giggled.
------------------------------

Discord arrived in the dead of winter as an airship. Not on an airship AS. Of course the weather report of snow, with occasional flurries of fresh fruit and ice cream sandwiches guaranteed a crowd was awaiting him, rather than panic in the streets. While the kids were munching fresh apples, oranges, plums, and other things they hadn't seen in months, three lines of guards, pies at the ready, let fly as a 21-pie salute. The three bands immediately struck up the Multicursal anthem, and two other pieces.

Discord shed happy tears as the cacophony grated on everyone. "I love you people!" he said.

The councillor went to the reviewing stand, he extracted a ream of paper and set it on the podium before him. Even Discord looked worried at the possibility of a speech longer and more droning that the usual Canterlot fare. Councillor Oleaginous waited for a few moments.

"I suspect you'd expect a silly, little speech like 'a few words' or something ridiculous. This is a solemn affair. While Discord has been feared by ponies, he has always been respected by minotaurs and griffons. And is welcome here. So, I will say the words everyone wishes to hear. Let's eat!"

The applause was muted only by the dash to the great hall, the councillor in the lead. Dipper took Discord's hand and led him after the throng.

"You must be Klein," Discord said.

"Well, if I must, I must, but I'd rather be John DeLancie, but who wouldn't?" Klein said, "Except maybe Sean Connery."

Discord blinked as he stared at Klein. He picked Dipper up. "Are you sure you're adopted?" He put her on his shoulders and seemed to slightly melt as she hugged him. "Not to be too forward, but where is Fancy?"

"Sitting in the hall. The triplets are slowing her down a bit," Klein said and laughed, "I don't know if I should be worried or thankful you had such a good idea of my tastes."

"The spell didn't work like that. What she becomes is based on your desires. I didn't know but I figured you did."

"Clever, let the customer influence the design."

"Triplets," Discord murmured, and turned to Dipper, "And how do you feel?"

"A big girl has to look after her brothers and sisters!" Dipper proudly proclaimed.

Discord raised an eyebrow at that, but headed towards the hall where a huge spread had been laid in.
------------------------------

The four of them sat in the small home near the factory. Discord walked around, looking at the diagrams for the garden, while Klein stoked the fire and Fancy lay on the couch, her pregnancy obvious to all.

"Twins, yes. Triplets, no." Fancy commented, "I'll be glad when I can see my rear legs again without lying on my back."

"I had very little to do with that," Discord said. "You did that yourselves." He smiled at the laughter. "Will you be able to do the dedication?"

"I can have someone use a wheelbarrow," Fancy said, "I should be able to. What do you think of the designs?"

"It that they are 'designed'," Discord said, "You're planning chaos. As much as I hate to admit it, true chaos allows for accidental harmony."

"So we just till the soil and toss the seedlings up in the air and let them fall where they may?" Klein asked, satisfied with the fire and turning to face Discord.

"Something like that would be better. More chaotic," he said carefully. He kept glancing nervously at Klein.

"I'm not going to toss you out because you disagree with me. It takes a good deal more than that to get under my skin," Klein said.

"It's not that. You told off Celestia," Discord said, "Anyone powerful enough to make it stick, would have the power to know what a bad idea that is. She doesn't take 'no' for an answer for very long."

"Most people don't hold the truth over her head like a Sword of Damocles. She depends on the illusion of her moral superiority and force of personality to cover the true conditions of her realm," Klein said, "The trick I used to get to Minotaura wouldn't fool most bouncers around here, let alone the police or military. Sure, she could deal with any invader with extreme prejudice, but then the mask would be off and the Tyrant Sun would eclipse Nightmare Moon."

"And Dear Celly would hate that worse than anything." Discord said, "I can imagine how she'd react to that little revelation getting around."

"And don't forget what it says about her beloved sister and wonderful student," Klein reminded him, "I'm aware it would be a kamikaze play for me, but it would be over for her."

"What's a ka-mee-kah-zay?" Dipper asked.

"A divine wind," Klein said, "Blows all your problems away."

"So why wouldn't you do that?" Dipper asked.

Klein ignored the snort from Fancy. "Because it also hits your friends and loved ones too. Knock down the local bully, fine. Knock down your mom, or Stone Blizzard?" He stared at Dipper.

"Not good. So you use it only when you have to," Dipper said.

Klein nodded.
------------------------------

No. No! NO! Fancy thought as she lay in their bed together.

"Teeth," she managed as Klein nibbled her.

Part of her was screaming for her to 'run a predator's eating you'. Another part was reveling in how good it felt. Leaving her twitching as fingers, lips, tongue and teeth set her quivering. Part of her knew she could do the same to him, and had. Pony lips could hold a pencil and write, her tongue could do things even his couldn't, and her flat teeth could drag along bits that no sane stallion would let a mare get her teeth on, but he loved it.

As her frenzied brain was screaming, she also worried that at the rate he was going, even a nightmare wouldn't wake her. They'd been much less since she'd become pregnant. As if the drum and bugle corps in her belly and their father stayed quiet if they slept close together. But with Discord here, the 'dear' Princess might come calling.

Got it handled, Discord mentally told her.

You're watching? she felt a creeping mortification.

Nothing I haven't seen before, but I will ask Sparkle about it, purely to verify her purpose for the summoning, or his escape.

She was starting to giggle when the wall hit and all she felt was light and air.
------------------------------

Since Fancy and Klein were sleeping in, for a host of reasons, Discord was out walking with Dipper as a light snow fell. Discord caught a few flakes and expanded them so Dipper could see the structures. "No two are alike. See how intricate they are?"

Dipper nodded. "They have to make them all by hand?" Dipper asked.

"Well, in Equestria they do. Here they form on their own," Discord admitted.

Dipper stared at him. "Are you teasing me? Why would they have to make something that just happens?"

Discord opened his mouth, but the obvious answer wouldn't come. "Ask your mother. I'm talking about snowflakes from around here."

Dipper rolled her eyes. "Every time I ask about Equestria, people say 'ask your mother'. Well, what if she's wrong?"

Discord was trying to figure out what to say when Dipper started digging through her saddlebags. "I've got a present for you."

"Me?" Discord asked.

She presented him with a small, wooden plaque. It was her studying, and Discord watching over her. The legend read 'My favorite teacher'.

"I know you're immortal and all, but I wanted you to know how much I liked the lessons you gave me while I was at Canterlot," she said, her hoof making little circles in the snow. "My mom and dad helped a little."

Discord grinned then bent down to hug the little filly. "Thank you." The stayed hugging each other for a bit. Then separated. "I haven't asked, but what would you want for a Solstice present?" Discord asked and grinned, "After all, I can do almost anything."

Discord nearly panicked as Dipper's enthusiasm at 'anything' vanished and her face fell, then she began to cry.

"I," Dipper said and tried to scrub away her tears, "I want you to make the bad pony hurting my daddy's dreams to stop!" she cried. "Sometimes he wakes up and he can't remember who we are, that we're a family. And he's scared of us!" Dipper wailed and held onto Discord. "I love my daddy, I don't want him scared of us ever!"

The expression that passed across the draconequus' face was ugly. Discord struggled and put on a happier expression before he picked up Dipper. "It's okay."

"That's all I want, that's all I want," Dipper said as she cried.

"You'll get it," Discord promised as he held the weeping filly, "You'll get it."
------------------------------

Luna stepped off into darkness. The dust under her hooves told her she was standing on a surface, but she needed just the smallest bit of light to see. There was none here. She wondered about that.

She lit her horn and saw the gray to silver dust everywhere to the limits of her vision. She looked up and saw no stars, nor a ceiling. She scuffed at the dust and watched it billow for a bit. Some feeling of wrongness tickled her brain, but she ignored it.

She walked a short distance, the dust puffing up at her tread and slowly falling. Then it hit her. She'd seen dust act like that in only one place. She turned and galloped back to the portal.

She found it not only closed, but gone. This can't happen, she thought as she circled where she'd entered this dream. This can't happen, I can travel . . . to any dream in Equestria. But this isn't Equestria!

She picked a direction and galloped as far and as fast as she could. She knew her wings would be useless without air to support them, and her growing fear prevented her from teleporting the vast distance she needed to cover to confirm or deny her mounting terror. The sharp boundary between light and dark gave her more proof of where she was, and the green, white and blue planet hanging over her confirmed it.

No, she thought as she gazed up at Equus, her home.

No, she thought as she gazed around at the moon, her prison.

NO! she thought of the endless days and weeks, and even centuries she would be here, not trapped within the moon as her sister had done, but on its surface, without even her millennium-long war with Nightmare to distract her. NO! she mentally screamed.
------------------------------

Discord dropped a note with Celly's guards. 'If your sister keeps breaking your word, how is anybody supposed to trust either of you?'

He whistled a happy tune as he headed back to Multicursal and the festival. Fluttershy will understand, he thought, then decided to stop by the pegasus and assure her he was enjoying himself, And I can ask her some questions about Twilight, and teeth.
------------------------------

Klein and Discord walked the snowy streets. The last day of the Solstice Festival was going on, but Klein had decided to simply walk the streets rather than making merry. "Sorry, I thought both of us could use a break. This is a release from almost a month and a half of cabin fever for many of these people. They can get a little maniacal."

"Maniacal I can deal with," Discord said as he glanced around, "It's just that, I keep expecting the Elements to leap out, proclaim it's my fault people are running wild, and encase me in stone again." Discord grinned. "It's silly right?"

"Not necessarily," Klein said, "Come on." He took off at a jog to cross street and slowed to a walk as they passed between the houses. The snow fallen from the roofs had built up to man-high drifts on both sides of the street, although the path in the middle was wide enough for two carts to pass.

"It's not unusual to feel a little 'the ponies are out to get me'. But you'll get over it. Believe me, I felt exactly that way when Fancy showed up on my doorstep. I got over it, so will you," Klein said, "That's not to say that people aren't out to get you."

Almost on cue, the barrage began. Like two batteries of rocket launchers, dozens of snowballs arced high and came down. Discord conjured a few snowballs and lobbed them back. But the barrage teams on both sides of the street had raced along the trenches they'd dug in the rear side of the snow berm to their next cache to barrage their targets. Spotters in windows told the teams where their targets were moving to, and another barrage nearly caught them as Klein had walked slowly, then sprinted before either barrage could be launched. Discord had repeatedly tried to conjure bigger and bigger snowballs to suppress fire, but he eventually took up Klein's walk-run movement, tricking them into less accurate shots.

"Try again next year!" Klein called at the end of the street, out of range. A more snow-covered Discord joined him. "Feeling the paranoia a bit more justified? There's a couple more streets like that. Give those kids some boulders or riprap and some Molotov cocktails, and they could hold off the German Sixth Army."

"Unusual therapy," Discord admitted as the brushed the snow off him, "And thank you, but no. I think I'm just about ready to go back to the partying. I see that you and Fancy, well, are more comfortable with each other."

"We became that way" Klein said and stared at the sky, "With the ring, and Fancy's declaration, we started. After a while we were at it like a couple of minks in heat. Dipper complained about going to bed and to sleep on time, while we'd spend the whole night 'wrestling'. Fortunately, the soundproofing of the room was good. Then Fancy went to the doctor for some bladder trouble, and she discovered it wasn't her bladder. We didn't know what effect the ring would have on the developing fetuses, so we stopped using the ring. But you don't just go from twice a day and thrice on Saturday to dead stop, so we both decided to try to see if anything we'd done together translated over."

Discord nodded.

"You must be enjoying this immensely," Klein said.

"Mou?" the paragon of innocence asked. He even burnished his halo for that special 'ting'.

"Oui vous," Klein replied, "Fancy told me about the rumors swirling around me and the princesses. You obviously know about my home, and some details. So you can toss enough facts into your wild speculation to make it uncomfortable. I've got one for you to drop in the mix. Assuming you haven't picked up on Luna breaking the accord I had with her sister, which would make it two not one. It's clear Luna never meant to honor it."

"I know," Discord said, "But can you spice it up?"

"Sure, my nightmares get worse for weeks after each incursion. You could say she's trying to drive me insane so I'll either hurt Dipper and Fancy, or . . .."

Discord looked shocked, then angry. He nodded, understanding what Klein implied but wasn't going to accuse.

Klein briefly considered mentioning, Or when my people find the first nut's equipment, I'll be in no condition to testify. If he looks up the Geneva convention on kidnaping civilians for espionage purposes, and how that redounds on the leader of a country, that would really give Celestia pause. But it would encourage the other princesses to off me, so keep that to myself.

"It certainly calls into question whether Her Majesty can really claim to make treaties that will bind her sister," Klein said.

"And if she's looking in other leaders' heads," Discord said as he stopped and stared into space. "Oh, that is special." Discord giggled and danced. "This is the second best Solstice present anyone's ever given me."

"Well, the real one is also special. Beyond Luna breaking Celestia's word, but back on the subject of looking in leaders' heads, what's to say she isn't doing what they did to me. Putting things in, or taking them out. Maybe the locals are more resistant to the effect, but if Luna can affect me that way, she can affect the leaders of other nations, or even other ponies that way. And how can they stop her? The ultimate weapon of espionage and terror, and at Celestia's beck and call, or operated despite her word before a crowd of international witnesses."

"Well, you don't have much to worry about in that regard anymore," Discord said, "I asked Dipper what she wanted for the Solstice, and she asked to 'keep the bad pony from giving my daddy nightmares.' From now on, every time Luna intrudes on your dreams, without your permission. She gets a thousand years alone on the moon. If asking politely doesn't work, a big enough stick just might."

"Thank you," Klein said, "It's been a strain, waking up, as if it had all happened yesterday, and getting charged by a pair of happy unicorns who don't know I don't know them, but I'm sure I should. Reality rushes back in, but only after the damage is done. Believe me, Equestria has made no friends with that little game."

"Oh, I think I know what you're talking about," Discord assured him.