• Published 22nd Apr 2012
  • 4,141 Views, 50 Comments

Finding Your Elements - RazgrizS57



Celestia recounts the tale of how she brought the bearers of the Elements of Harmony together.

  • ...
4
 50
 4,141

Prologue

As with every day, the sun hung high above Equestria to shower the earth below with its glistening rays of light. However today was a special day; the sun wasn’t its usual vibrant yellow, it didn’t shine so brightly, and much like a dog waiting for a master that would never return, it gave no indication that today was a day to be as pleasant as those before it. For one pony in particular, this was a day for memories.

Princess Celestia sat on her haunches at the foot of a bed, watching the steady rise and fall of the blankets that concealed its occupant. The predictable beeping pattern of the heart monitor was the only break in the utter silence of the hospital room, if not the entire hospital itself. As with any given location that had the Princess’s presence, guards were sanctioned around every corner. Their stony glares only stressed the other patients and faculty the sign that today were to be a quiet one.

Twilight Sparkle stirred awake with a light cough. The heart monitor gave a small beep of instability before returning to its regular pattern. Celestia trotted over to the left side of the bed her student was twisting in. The alicorn gently rested her head across the aged neck of the unicorn, whose fidgeting stopped immediately as the warmth of another equine absorbed into her wrinkled skin.

“Princess?” Twilight was able to say before coughing again. “Is that you?”

“Yes, my dearest friend. I never left your side,” she replied with a warm smile. The reassuring response of the Princess’s soft, melancholy tone echoed off the walls to the faintest degree. Twilight’s lips quivered until a smile of her own was slowly dragged across her face. Her ears twitched with every breath the Princess made, a soothing and rhythmic beat that made the oddest yet most enjoyable sequence along with the metronome of the heart monitor. Twilight pushed out with her hooves against the bed covers, popping her aged joints while trying to get slightly more comfortable. Slowly she opened her eyelids, exposing her cloudy irises that stared off into oblivion.

Princess Celestia raised the burden of her head off the fatigued unicorn. Twilight’s eyes gazed at the opposite wall of the room where orange light slowly seeped in through the window blinds. Celestia smiled that she was able to grace the elderly unicorn with her presence twice and at the same time.

“Princess,” Twilight began, her focus nowhere near its intended target. “I thought you went back to Canterlot.”

Celestia solemnly smiled. “I’m over here, Twilight.”

Twilight bit her lip and let loose a small giggle. Her body twisted again as she rolled onto her back. Her head slowly tilted around to the other side of the room and upon success was met with the warming affection of Celestia’s nuzzle.

“Oops…” Twilight chuckled. “Forgive me for that.” The unicorn’s eyes drifted aimlessly trying to zero in on to Celestia’s position but to no avail. This only saddened the Princess.

“There’s no need to be ashamed,” Celestia cooed as she lifted her head high again. Twilight was able to pinpoint the Princess by her voice and her eyes snapped to her location. She gave a loose, slightly embarrassed smirk at her mentor before it was rudely interrupted by another hoarse cough.

The sight dismayed Celestia, but nonetheless she brought herself to smile. “Even in your current state you aim to keep eye contact?” She snickered quietly. “Such formalities should not be a concern to you, Twilight.”

The elderly unicorn giggled. “If I didn’t look somepony in the eye, how would they know I was talking to them?”

Celestia brought a hoof up and brushed it through Twilight’s faded mane. “Anypony can tell when you’re the one talking to them.” Celestia’s words lost their meaning as the milky eyes of her student watched without melody. A small tear was brought to her eyes as she watched Twilight continue to try and keep a connection with the outside world.

“Your eyes might not be what they once were,” the alicorn said softly, “But your ears are still at the apex of their functionality. Use them.”

“I don’t have much of a choice,” Twilight sighed. “Though, ever since I lost my vision my hearing’s been amplified tenfold! It’s surprising, really. Now that I don’t have to focus on putting together sounds with images, I can hear more clearly than I ever could before.”

Celestia smiled. “But just like any good story, you can still assemble images in your mind.”

Twilight giggled between a fit of coughs. “And right now I’m imagining you in a top hat.”

The Princess contributed with a snicker of her own. The atmosphere of the room warmed slightly as the sun began its soft descent. More light seeped in through the window blinds and illuminated the room with all the warmth the heavenly body could muster. Celestia’s heart burned just as sincere, basking the entirety of the room with the glowing comfort of her presence. An awkward silence followed as Twilight brought her head up to uselessly scan the room.

She sighed and set it back down on her pillow. “Are my friends not here?”

Celestia’s spirits sank a tad as the heart monitor beeped irregularly for a second. Her eyes met the dead yet lively ones of the unicorn who lay in bed, looking up to the alicorn awaiting a response.

She sighed in defeat. “No, they are not here.”

With those words the heart monitor erratically skipped a beat before returning to its monotonous tempo. Twilight’s ears drooped to the sides of her head and she sunk into her cot, dragging the blanket upwards near her muzzle.

“Oh…” was all she could muster to say.

“But don’t fret, Twilight.” Celestia tried to reassure. Apparently successful too, as Twilight’s ears suddenly perked up. “I have notified them all about your condition and I am sure they are wasting no time to come and visit you. Your friends aren’t as young as they use to be, so give them time.”

Twilight eased up and smiled. The blanket slid back down to its original position and rested softly against her chest. “I suppose,” Twilight mused, fighting back another cough. “Time might not be something I have, however. None of us are young anymore. Well, except for you of course, Princess.”

Celestia took the compliment with half a heart. Being an undying deity meant she has lived with the burden of life while generations of friends moved on without her. And now it was almost time for history to repeat itself. Trickling memories like an overflowing dam began to flow into her mind. Her past students, friends, and other subjects made a profound image within her subconscious; laughing and merrily enjoying each other’s company without the liability of time to restrain them. And soon Twilight would be joining them in their loving embrace.

Another tear streaked down Celestia’s cheek. Twilight, oblivious to her mentor’s condition, gaily looked in her general direction yet slightly to the right. The alicorn frowned, compensating by shuffling across the floor until Twilight’s eyes were looking at her own. The seconds ticked onwards like a metronome, drowned out only by the electronic beeps of the annoying yet essential machine in the corner of the room.

Celestia dared a weary smile, keen to change the subject before it got out of hoof. “Perhaps I could tell you a story to pass the time?”

Twilight looked thoughtful. “I think I’d like that. What kind of story?”

The Princess pondered for a second. “Why not a story about the Elements of Harmony?”

The lavender unicorn quizzically raised a brow. Celestia giggled at the naïve, questioning look she was receiving. “Sorry to disappoint you Princess, but I believe I already know that one.”

Celestia shook her head. “Oh no, I mean the story one would never find in a book.”

All skepticism in Twilight’s expression faded; replaced by the most enthusiastic grin the unicorn could manage. Celestia took her reaction as a sign to move forward.

She chuckled slightly to herself. “This is the story of how the Elements of Harmony came to be. And I’m not talking about the jewelry that’s currently gathering dust. I’m talking about you, Twilight Sparkle, and how your friends became the bearers of the elements.”

The grin on Twilight’s face grew. “I think I might like to hear that,” she intrigued. “It’d be interesting to know how we became the elements.”