• Published 27th Sep 2014
  • 1,882 Views, 37 Comments

Diamond Tiara IS Special - sbloom85



Diamond Tiara's experiences have taught her humility, and the changed filly needs to move on.

  • ...
3
 37
 1,882

Saturday

Saturday

Two weeks had passed since Diamond Tiara's life-changing visit by Discord. He had shown the filly something frightening: in the grand scheme of things, one pony's existence was meaningless. After learning this, she sulked in her room, refusing to leave for school; she hardly ate and it showed; she refused to see Silver Spoon, her only friend in Ponyville. Some days she wept about the monster she was toward others, while other days were spent in silent contemplation about how she can change.

Crumpled parchment was spread all over the room. The filly had been trying to write apology letters to those she wronged, but the words kept feeling meaningless to her. There were the blank-flanks, ponies who had not yet found their special talent. Her primary targets had been Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Those three would stand up for themselves while others would just run away crying. She needed to learn to accept the fact that there will always be a pony in search of their cutie mark.

There were also the meek ponies, such as Fluttershy. She would chastise them for being in her way and for mumbling incoherently when they spoke to her. She knew of her father's aggressive business tactics and tried to emulate him through everything she did, even in the most mundane of things. Needless to say, they ended up hurting more ponies than she was now comfortable with. She needed to learn patience and compassion.

Finally, there were ponies who weren't as financially secure as her family. She would berate the mares and stallions who worked tirelessly to provide for their families. She would tease the foals of those mares and stallions, saying they would never amount to anything just for how they lived. In her mind, if a pony wasn't wealthy, they were worthless. She needed to learn that some ponies had to work harder to live and to work even harder to achieve their goals.

She was at her desk. Her head rested on a fresh sheet of parchment, a quill rested in its inkwell. She had passed out as she tried to think of how to word her letters to the individual ponies. A quiet knock came from the door and woke her up. She looked over at the opening door and her mother peeked her head in. “Diamond, honey?”

She rubbed her tear-stained eyes. “Mother?”

Her mother frowned at the frazzled and unkempt filly. “All of Ponyville is worried about you, honey. You need to clean up, get something to eat and go out.”

Worried about her? She was confused. After the way she treated them, why should they be worried about her? “Why? It's not like I'm special or anything.”

Her mother raised an eyebrow. “Not special? What gave you that idea?”

She sniffled and looked up to her mother. A tear somehow escaped an eye. “What Discord showed me...” she took a deep breath to regain her composure, if only slightly, “ponies went on with their lives... you and father...”

Her mother rested a hoof tenderly on her daughter. “What about us?”

She shook her head. “You tried so many times to have a foal, but...”

Her mother kissed her on the crown of her head. “You are special, Diamond. You're special to your father and I. Forget what Discord showed you.”

She laid her head back on the desk and circled a hoof on it. “I... I don't know what do.” She looked up to her mother, hoping for some kind of guidance. “Where do I start?”

Her mother looked at the discarded parchment littering the room. “I take it the letters aren't working?” Diamond slowly shook her head. “Maybe instead of writing letters, you should confront them in pony.”

She perked at the notion and was scared of it. “But what if ponies don't want to hear what I have to say?”

Her mother smiled. “After a two week absence, I doubt anypony will shun you.”

Taking her mother's words to heart, she looked to the tiara sitting on the desk in front of her. It had become a symbol of the monster she once was and knocked it off of the desk. She slowly climbed off the stool and found it difficult to stand. She wasn't very mobile for a couple of weeks and with all of the emotions coursing through her mind, her body felt like jelly. Luckily her mother was there to catch the stumbling filly. “Maybe I should have something to eat and clean up first.”

Diamond's mother helped her to the kitchen and was set onto a chair across from her father. She walked to the stove and prepared it for breakfast. “How do eggs sound?”

Diamond nodded. “Sounds good, mother.”

Filthy Rich closed the newspaper he was reading, saw his daughter and started crying. “Diamond!” He hopped out of the chair, walked to her side and held her. “I'm glad to see you're out of your room. What can I get for you? Milk? Orange juice?”

Diamond groaned as she rubbed her sensitive eyes. “Orange juice will be fine. What's today?”

Filthy Rich kissed his daughter on the head. “Today's Saturday.” He walked to the cupboard and pulled out a small cup. He pulled an orange out of a basket and prepared it for juicing. His wife pulled out a carton of eggs, took it to the stove and began cracking them.

Diamond sniffled. “I'm sorry, daddy.”

He looked back to her and raised an eye. “For what?”

She took a deep breath to calm herself. “For everything I had done. I've been such a brute to other ponies.”

Filthy finished juicing the orange, brought it to the table and stroked his daughter's mane. “That may be, but you're my daughter and your mother and I will always love you.”

Though his words were comforting, she was still unable to get over that day and what she had seen. There was no ridicule, there were no insults, everypony went about their day. He walked back to his chair and sat down.

Her mother poured the eggs into a frying pan, making a sizzling sound as the cool liquid made contact with the hot surface. It wouldn't be long before breakfast would be ready. Usually the three would go out for breakfast, but in these times, she was glad they were eating in. Just her and her parents.

Filthy gazed upon his daughter's tiara-missing head. “Not going to wear your crown, sweetie?”

She shook her head. “No. It reminds me of... of...”

He nodded. “It's okay, sweetie. You don't have to.”

Several minutes passed in silence until Diamond's mother brought breakfast to the table. “Breakfast is ready.”


Diamond weakly left the house with her mother after spending some time taking a bath after eating breakfast. She had forgotten how bright and warm the sun was in her self-imposed isolation. She squinted to try and see where she was going and decided to follow her mother until her eyes adjusted to the brightness. She took in the cool, fresh air around her and was thankful for it as the air in her room was beginning to become uncomfortably warm and stifling. Their first stop would be to Silver Spoon's house and Diamond insisted on taking an alternate path to avoid other ponies.

Her mother looked to the filly and gave her a big smile. “I'm proud of you, Diamond.”

She sniffled and stared at the ground. Her vision was already clearing up, but she was still sensitive to the bright ball in the sky. “Why? After everything I did to them, why are you proud of me?”

Her mother continued smiling as she led her through town. “You're taking responsibility of your actions. Isolating yourself for all of this time had left your father and I in a terrible mess. We were worried sick about you, Diamond. Your father realized he was becoming a bad influence and had to take a leave of absence from work just to make sure you were okay. Cheerilee came over every day, asking about you and dropping off schoolwork so you could keep up. She even told me that the others missed you terribly.”

What her mother said was contrary to what Discord had shown her and began to realize that she was as much a part of Ponyville... no, as much a part of Equestria as everypony else. The thought was unbearable and she collapsed and began crying again. Her mother laid next to her and tried comforting her. “What have I done?”

“DT?!”

She looked up to see where the source of the familiar voice came from. A gray earth pony filly galloped up to her. “DT! I was so worried about you.” The gray filly gently embraced her friend, forgoing their dance. “Everypony was worried about you.”

The gentle touch of her friend began soothing her nerves. “Silver Spoon... do you think they'll forgive me?”

Silver nodded and her tears dripped onto her friend's coat. “I know they will. And I know it won't be out of pity for what Discord did.” She backed up and looked into her friend's bloodshot eyes. “I can see it in your eyes, Diamond. You want to truly be a good pony now.”

Diamond nodded. “Y-yes... I do.”

Relieved to see her daughter in good hooves, Diamond's mother started walking away. “You take good care of her, Silver Spoon. I'm going into town for a bit.”

Silver helped her friend up and smiled. “I kinda promised Apple Bloom and her friends I'd take you to see them if you decided to leave your house.”

For the first time in over two weeks, Diamond Tiara smiled. “I'd like that. I'm going to need your help getting there... it's still hard for me to see.”

Silver moved beside her and nuzzled her. “Lean on me, Diamond.”


By the time the two got the clubhouse, Diamond's eyes were fully adjusted to the bright mid-morning sun. The two entered and found it empty. “Take a seat, I'll see if I can find out where they are.”

Diamond made her way to a chair and sat on it. “Take your time...”

Silver's ears splayed to the side. It was tough to see her friend like this. She looked outside and saw somepony carrying a tray. “Diamond... I think Applejack is coming over.” Diamond wordlessly nodded as she continued staring at the floorboards.

Applejack entered the clubhouse, saw Silver comforting Diamond and set the tray on a table. “Howdy, girls. Ah saw ya comin' this way and thought y'all might be thirsty. Ah brought some freshly made apple juice.”

Silver smiled. “Thank you, Applejack. Do you know where Apple Bloom and her friends might be?”

AJ shook her head. “Nope, can't say Ah do. Ah could look fer 'em if ya'd rather stay with yer friend.” She looked to Diamond and grimaced. She knew what Discord had done to the poor filly, but she seemed to genuinely want to improve herself. “It's good that you're turnin' over a new leaf so young, sugarcube.”

Diamond looked to the mare and gave a weak smile. “Thank you. I hope that I can be accepted again.”

Applejack scoffed. “Just seein' ya here has made mah day. Ah'm off to find Apple Bloom.”

Silver smiled. “Thank you, Applejack.”

The blonde mare left the clubhouse to look for the Crusaders. Silver walked to the tray, picked up a bottle of the apple juice and brought it to her friend. “Come on, Diamond, drink up.”


The Cutie Mark Crusaders galloped into their clubhouse, hoping Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon were still there. They couldn't believe their eyes when they saw Diamond. She looked sickly thin, but she was there. “Diamond Tiara!”

The filly flinched when Apple Bloom shouted. She still feared what they would do to her, but was taken aback when she received a hug from the trio. “Y-you're not mad at me?”

They pulled away and Scootaloo huffed. “After everything you put us through, we'd be lying if we said we weren't.” Diamond's gaze returned to the floor. “But that doesn't mean that we're not happy to see you.”

Diamond's throat felt tight. “I've been a monster. Not to just you three, but to many ponies.”

Sweetie Belle laid a hoof on Diamond's shoulder. “We know... but you're still with us, Diamond. If you were willing to leave your house, certain that somepony would harass you, that makes you brave.” Apple Bloom and Scootaloo let out affirming grunts.

Diamond sniffled and nuzzled her former victim. “I tried writing letters, but the words didn't feel right.”

Apple Bloom shrugged. “We learned that words don't always express how ya feel. Ah think that as long as they see you out and not insultin' other ponies, you'll be forgiven.”

For a brief moment, Diamond Tiara looked hopeful by Apple Bloom's words. “Do you think so?”

Sweetie Belle nodded. “We know so. It might take a while for everypony to trust you again, but you showing your face in town will be the first step.”

Diamond hung her head once more. “I... I don't know if I'm ready for that yet.”

Sweetie Belle backed up and rejoined her friends. “Well don't worry, we'll be here for you.”

Diamond let out a heavy sigh. “Thanks...”

Scootaloo nervously rubbed the back of her head. “So... what have you been up to?”

Diamond sniffled. “Other than trying to write letters, I've been thinking about what I had done. I was terrible to everypony and I don't want to be that filly again.”

There was a knock by the window. It was Princess Twilight Sparkle. She looked to Diamond Tiara and smiled. “It is true.”

Diamond whimpered. She began to feel overcrowded. “Why is everypony being so nice to me?”

Twilight frowned. “You were having a rough time and it would be wrong to be mean to you.”

Diamond put on a weak smile and nodded at Twilight. “Thank you, Your Majesty.”

Twilight's warm smile returned. “Will you be going back to school?”

Diamond nodded again. “Yes, I'll go back on Monday.”

Twilight nodded. “I'll drop by during recess to see how you're doing.”

Diamond's smile seemed to grow wider. “Thank you, Your Majesty.”

Twilight blushed. “Please don't call me that. Call me Twilight.”

Diamond shook her head. “No, that would be rude. You're a princess.”

Twilight raised a hoof. “I don't want to make it a royal order.”

Diamond's ears flattened as the Crusaders giggled and she nodded. “Yes... Twilight.”

Twilight grinned. “Good. Have a good weekend, Diamond Tiara.”

Twilight fluttered her wings before she took off. Silver Spoon looked out the window and followed the princess with her eyes. “She wouldn't have made it a royal order, would she?”

Apple Bloom shook her head. “Ah doubt it. Y'all know how Twilight can be sometimes.”

Sweetie Belle's horn sparked as she got an idea. “Ooh! Since Diamond doesn't want to go out, how about we play some board games to pass the time.”

Apple Bloom laughed and nodded in agreement. “That's a great idea. I'll see if AJ'll bring some sandwiches for lunch.” She walked to the door and opened it. “Ah'll be back with some more drinks.” She left and closed the door behind her.

Diamond started feeling a lot better knowing the Crusaders didn't hate her. “Thanks, girls.”

Sweetie walked to a chest and opened it. “How about Clue?”

Scootaloo huffed. “Not much of a detective here, Sweetie.”

Sweetie groaned. “Monopony?”

Diamond sighed. “I don't think I'm comfortable playing a game that glorifies hostile takeovers right now.”

Sweetie whimpered as she rifled through the chest, looking for other games. “There isn't much else here.”

Diamond lightly giggled. “We don't have to play a board game.”

Sweetie closed the chest. “Oh yeah, there are other games. Truth or Dare or Twenty Questions?”

Scootaloo waved a hoof. “Doesn't matter to me.”

Silver nodded. “I'm up for either.”

Sweetie looked to Diamond. “I think we'll go with Twenty Questions.”

Diamond looked out the window. “Should we wait for Apple Bloom to come back?”

Scootaloo chuckled. “Sweetie and I usually play while she's gone.”

Sweetie Belle cleared her throat. “That settles it. I'll go first.”


Apple Bloom returned with a tray of apple juice. “Sorry it took me so long. Had to help AJ for a bit. She'll stop by later with the sandwiches.”

Diamond giggled. “Thank you, Apple Bloom.”

Silver Spoon pondered her next question. “Does it have music on it?”

Sweetie Belle shook her head. “Nope. Eight more left.”

Diamond and Silver looked at each other. “It's small, disc-like... oh!” Diamond looked to Sweetie Belle. “Is it a frisbee?”

Sweetie nodded. “That's right. You win, DT.”

Diamond started laughing. The pain of guilt and worry was beginning to recede. Her longtime victims had become her friends and she became theirs and for the first time in nearly a month, she felt confident enough to go into town. She would do that tomorrow, but for now, she wanted to savor the moment with her new friends.

Author's Note:

I thought I'd go for something a little different. The other stories were one-shots, and I debated whether to do the same, but this one I felt would make a better story if it was split into chapters. I hope that decision doesn't ruin it for those who enjoyed the first two.

Feedback would be appreciated and thank you for reading.