• Published 11th Jan 2015
  • 1,435 Views, 13 Comments

The Impossible Test - GiantFunnyShark



Princess Celestia gives Twilight Sparkle a test she knows Twilight will fail. What Celestia doesn't know is Twilight may know more than she thinks.

  • ...
7
 13
 1,435

You want doughnuts?

Twilight slowly trotted outside into the blazing sunlight. The heat seemed to be a little much today, as ponies were acting very distressed. Some were sweating profusely, and some were frantically fanning themselves with today's newspaper. But for some reason, the heat didn’t bother Twilight. Maybe the idea of the events to come were distracting Twilight enough to forget about the scorching weather. Twilight thought that last statement was starting to not hold any water as a bead of sweat trickled down her forehead.

“Maybe I should get going before I start to sweat buckets,” Twilight said as she started to walk in the direction of Doughnut Joe’s. Twilight thought of all the good times she had at the little doughnut shop. Like the time she got a doughnut stuck on her muzzle and Shining Armour had to pull it off with his magic, causing him to fall off the stool he was sitting on at the time. Although Twilight may have good memories of the place, she feared that the events of today may be categorized as a ‘bad memory’, depending on whether Celestia actually explains herself.

“I’m sure the Princess will tell me everything I need to know about the test. But what if she doesn’t? What if she makes me take the test in Doughnut Joe’s? What if I don’t know any of the answers?!” Twilight started to panic as she came up to a sign that read ‘Doughnut Joe’s’. “It is going be alright. I’m sure I’ll get my answers.” Twilight hoped that was true.

As Twilight entered the shop, she didn’t see any sign of Celestia. She saw Joe at the counter and walked up to him.

“Hey, Joe. Do you know where Celestia is?”

“Oh! It’s nice to see you again, Twilight. You haven’t been here in a while. How’ve you been?”

“I’ve been fine. And how have you been keeping?”

Joe put a hoof to his chin for a brief second. “Well, business is going well, so I guess I’m doing just fine.”

Twilight gave Joe a small smile. “That’s good to hear. Anyway, has Princess Celestia been here today?”

Joe motioned for Twilight to move closer. “She’s in the back. Follow me.” And with that, Joe left for the back room behind the counter. Twilight obliged and followed him into the back room.

When Twilight entered the room, she noticed that it looked more like a very spacious janitor’s closet. She also noticed the Princess of the sun in the middle of the room on a very comfortable cushion, nibbling on a sprinkled doughnut.

“Twilight, so glad you could join me. Have a seat.” Celestia motioned for Twilight to sit across from her.
Joe looked at the mares and spoke,
“Well, looks like you two are settled. I’ll be at the counter if anypony needs me.” After the little announcement, Joe left the room. When Twilight thought Joe was out of earshot, she looked back at the Princess with a sad smile and said.

“Princess, I really don’t understand all this secrecy. First you tell me to go to an inn I’ve never heard of, then you tell me I can’t tell anyone why I’m even here. AND, I don’t even know what the test will be about.” Twilight realised she was practically glaring at Celestia, and softened her look to a mild stare.

Celestia put down her doughnut and cleared her throat. “Twilight, I understand your frustration, but you mustn’t let this get the better of you. I will tell you my reasons soon enough, but for now, you just have to trust me. I cannot reveal the nature of your test yet, but I will in time. I ask you to stop worrying so much and just enjoy your time here, maybe you should go and see your family while you’re in Canterlot. They have missed you since you moved to Ponyville. I’m sorry, but I must be off. Anyway, goodbye Twilight. And remember, just relax.” With that, Celestia vanished.

Twilight stood there, mouth agape. After what seemed to be hours, she finally processed what had just happened. Why is Celestia acting this way? Thought Twilight. Celestia did ask her to go and see her family, but isn’t she supposed to be studying? Maybe she can study at her parent’s house.

“It would be nice to catch up with my parents. Okay, maybe a little visit won’t hurt.” Twilight decided that seeing her brother will probably clear her head a little. Probably. I guess I could get a doughnut for the road. Just as Twilight thought this, Joe walked back into the room with a bag of what was most likely Twilight’s favourite type of doughnut.

“Ah, Joe, you read my mind.” Twilight levitated the sugary circles into her saddlebags.

“Anytime, Twilight.” Joe left the room again.

Twilight thought about the test again and started to worry but caught herself and calmed herself down. I just have to trust the princess. How hard could this test be anyway? As Twilight thought those words, a scroll poofed out of nowhere and landed on the floor. It read:

Dear Twilight,

Tell Joe I forgot to pay for the doughnuts.

Princess Celestia

Twilight rolled her eyes and started for the front door of the shop. Just before Twilight left for the streets of Canterlot, she turned to Joe and said.

“Celestia told me to tell you she forgot to pay.”

Joe frowned. “Well, this is the sixth time she has ‘forgotten to pay’, maybe I should open a tab for her. Thanks for telling me.”

Twilight laughed at Celestia’s antics and left the quaint doughnut shop. She can be quite the practical joker when she wants to be. Twilight headed for her parents' house, hoping they had some time to catch up with their daughter.

Twilight stood outside the humongous building she used to call home. She remembered where they kept the spare key but thought it would be polite to knock. Twilight wondered how they would react to this surprise visit. What if I’m coming at a bad time? What if they have guests over and they don’t want to be interrupted? What if they don’t love me anymore?! Twilight stopped herself as she knew that last thought wasn’t true, but the prospect still scared her. Twilight cleared her thoughts and knocked three times on the door.

No response.

“Maybe they’re not home.” Twilight muttered to herself. As soon as she said that, a butler pony came to the door.

“Excuse me but whatever you’re selling, we’re not buy-Oh, Miss Twilight, it is a delight to see you once more,” said the butler pony with a polite smile.

“Hello, Jeeves. It’s been awhile. How’re you keeping these days? You must be, what? 500 years old now,” Twilight joked.

Jeeves laughed. “I see your sense of humour has not eluded you. Please come in, I’m sure your mother and father will be thrilled to know you are here.” Jeeves stepped inside, allowing Twilight room to enter.

“Thanks. Where are they?”

Jeeves pointed to a large door to the left of them. “They are just preparing for lunch with Fancy Pants and Fleur De Lis. For this occasion, I advised them to reside in the dining hall until the meal was over.”

“Thank you, Jeeves. It was nice catching up with you.” Twilight started for the dining hall.

“You are most welcome, Twilight.” As soon as Twilight was out of sight, Jeeves took a drinking flask from his jacket pocket and drank the majority of the liquid. “You are most welcome.”

As Twilight walked into the dining hall she noticed her father, Night Light, and her mother, Twilight Velvet. But Twilight didn’t see Fancy Pants or Fleur De Lis. She thought this was very odd considering Jeeves just told her they were having lunch here. Twilight’s thoughts were interrupted when a purple hoof similar to hers lightly touched her shoulder. Twilight Velvet waved a hoof in front of her daughter’s face when she realised Twilight wasn’t responding to her hollering. Twilight blinked rapidly to try and regain focus. Upon recognising her mother’s hoof, Twilight smiled from ear to ear.

“Mother, it’s so good to see you!”

Velvet imitated her daughter. “Likewise, my child. Your father and I haven’t seen you in weeks. We have much to talk about.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment