• Published 23rd Sep 2014
  • 3,964 Views, 14 Comments

I Thought It Would Be Better - WarPonyAssassin



Fluttershy is going to die, she's planning on it. She left her best friend Pinkie Pie the note.

  • ...
1
 14
 3,964

Why?

"Pinkie Pie, I just wanna start by saying I'm sorry, I thought you should be the first person to know. I'm going to die, I'm going to end my life, by the time you've finished this note, I'm sure I'll have bled out. I want you to let the others know, I want you to take care of Angel and my animals, or let Applejack do it. Angel thinks I'm coming back, so please tell him what happened to me.

I know this will be hard for you to accept, our friends can help you get through it, I don't want you to something crazy, I know the pain you felt now, when you thought we had abandoned you, I understand now. But I don't think there's any hope for me, no friends to console me and make me feel better. I've always known I was weak. You could smile in the face of death, Twilight could do a million calcultions and figure out the best course. Dash would just charge in head first, Applejack would be right beside her, Celestia... Even Rarity could do more than me...

I'm weak, scared, hurting. On all our adventures I just make you girls worry about me, I won't let you worry about me anymore. I'm going to the everfree forest, I have some claws that I trimmed from Mr. Bear, I know where my veins are, I hope it'll be quick, I hope it doesn't hurt too bad.

I'd like you to ask Twilight to come up with a spell of some kind to be able to tell the animals what happened to me. If one of you girls doesn't find me, I'm sure one of them will. I don't know if they'll understand, I hope they won't be to bad without me. Rainbow Dash can have all my stuff, I have some special candy in my room Discord made for me, he wanted just me to have it. It was too sweet for me, you'll probably like it though. Applejack can have my house, and I've tried to get all the animals to accept her so she should have an easier time out there now. Tell Rarity I'm sorry I stole her model idea, and that I think she'd make a much better model than me, I think she should keep making dresses for you and the girls.

I'd like you not to tell Spike, not until he's older anyways, he's still just a baby. I don't want him to have to deal with this. Also, please don't tell Discord, I'm afraid he might do something terrible. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna I'm sure will know. I'd like to buried in the forest if that's not to much trouble, where I can always be with the animals, I'd like you to plant a tree where I'm buried if you could.

Please don't come looking for me, I don't want you to see me like this. Just leave me, its better this way, I promise. Goodbye Pinkie Pie, thank you for being my friend..."

-Fluttershy


Pinkie's mane was straight and dark, her fur wasn't pink anymore, her eyes watered. It only took a few seconds to register the note after she finished.

"FLUTTERSHY!" She screeched, bolting towards teh Everfree Forest as fast as her hooves could carry her.

Itchy hoof, dry tongue... left! Pinkie darted through the trees, the thorns tearing through her main and fur, she barely felt the blood dripping off her. It didn't matter.

Three unfortunate Timber Wolves came for an easy pink prey and she turned them into firewood in a flurry of rapid hoof blows and a blast of party cannon. Dry tongue, tingling hooves, nosebleed.. or was that something else.

Tears blocked Pinkie's vision, running more on instinct than intellect. How deep did Fluttershy actually go?

THERE! She saw the flash of yellow and pink, her hooves flung dirt as she made it there.

....She wasn't moving... Pinkie scooped up her friend and pulled her bandages out, "just like Twilight showed me.." she whispered

to herself, desperately binding Fluttershy's wounds, she didn't know if she was alive, she had to be! The ground was almost black, the blood soaking and turning the grass and dirt.

"Fluttershy!! Please answer me!" Pinkie screamed through pained sobs. She felt her friend shift and she clung to her desperately, hoping for some sign of life.

"...Pin... Pinkie?" It was so soft Pinkie almost missed it, but she saw Fluttershy's eyes just barely open.

Pinkie threw her hooves around the pegasus in a tight embrace, sobbing audibly as Fluttershy weakly hugged back.

"WHY?" She shouted through pained words. She stared at the blood stained yellow fur, the pink mane darkened where it had touched the ground. "Why did you do it?"

Fluttershy was silent... why did she do it? To try to spare them? To try and make things better? To try and end her own pain? She had forgotten...

With a forced turn of the head she looked to Pinkie's coat, it was splashed with blood, bite marks and scratches. "What am I doing?" she asked herself, hurting herself, hurting her friends? Why would she leave all the animals, all the ones who needed her, her friends needed her, but she had tried to selfishly leave them.

"...I... I thought it would be better" she said softly. She realized it wouldn't be better, she would have made it worse, broken her friends, broken the elements of harmony, what kind of Kindness was it to abandon your friends and hurt them, all because you were hurting... why didn't she let them help her?

Fluttershy felt herself being hefted up by the pink earth pony, and then the world turned into a blur as Pinkie ran for the hospital. If Pinkie cared so much... maybe she could live on... or maybe it was to late...

Author's Note:

Sad story, inspired by the cover photo