• Published 30th Oct 2014
  • 3,831 Views, 134 Comments

Destiny : Twilight Voidwalker - BackroundVoice



One crippled Equestrian society, one chance to save it, and fifteen-thousand potential heroes to live the legend. Join Twilight Sparkle as she lives a second life to defend Equestria one last time. Action, suspense, and Pony-Puns await you.

  • ...
13
 134
 3,831

The Fall of Sepiks Prime - Chapter 1 : Hunted

“Guardian… Guardian? Eyes up Guardian!” I drew the attention of the Warlock. Her movements were stiff and slow, but she was moving.

“It worked… You’re Alive!” I exclaimed “You don’t know how long I've been looking for you,” The Guardian looked up at me, a floating square like a ball in the air, and gave a quizzical look to the intricate mechanical moving bits to my frame.

“What are you?” the mare asked.

“I’m a Ghost. Actually now I’m your Ghost. And you…” I paused, giving the mare time to stretch and loosen her jaded limbs, before giving her the bad news, “Well, you've been dead for a really long time. So you’re going to see a lot of things that you won’t understand,” And that’s when it hit her, at first she was stunned. Unable to speak. But she’d find the words soon enough.

“What do you mean I was dead!?” she cried out, “Where am I? How did- Ahh…!” sadly the mare couldn't finish her sentence, comforting her head with her hooves as her mind adapted to her newly formed body. But when she tried to speak again, a loud but menacing howl could be heard in the distance. We both turned to the direction of it, unsettled, and frightened.

“This is Fallen territory," I said, "We aren't safe here, I have to get you to the City… Hold still,” and then I vanished, entering the Ghost storage in the Warlock’s helmet.

“Ghost!?” the mare cried out “Where are you!?”

“I’m still here, but we need to leave this place, now!” I told the mare. And without hesitation, the mare started off to the nearest building she could see.

“And where exactly is this place?” she asked, still trotting on a path created by forgotten carriages.

“This is Old Ponyville… A former Equine settlement,” I answered.

The mare stopped her forward motion.

“What are you doing?” I questioned her.

“I… I live here… This is my home,” her words didn't surprise me. The mare looked back at her home, seeing the changes from the last time she had seen it, she was hurt.

“I’m… Sorry.” I said.

“What happened?” she asked.

But I couldn't bring myself to answer that.

“Ghost?” I could hear her voice trembling, but this was no place for a history lesson. The howl was heard again.

“I’ll tell you everything you want to know later, but for now, let’s focus on staying alive long enough to remember it.” I could tell the mare was less than content with what I had said, but I was right. So she obliged and continued onward. Making her way into the crumbling building ahead. The stairs she trotted up echoed noisy galloping throughout the complex.

“Quiet!” I warned the Warlock, “There are Fallen all around us…” her trotting stopped, and now she was cautiously walking, occasionally looking over her shoulder with worry. As we ventured deeper into the building, the light dimmed until it was as black as ebony.

“I can’t see…” the mare said.

“Hang tight… The Fallen thrive in the Dark,” I said as I separated myself from my guardian, “We won’t…” I added. I kept myself illuminated for my guardian to see me making my way through the inner workings of the already withering structure. “Another one of these hardened military systems… And a few centuries of entropy working against me.” I mumbled to myself, sparking up the lighting system with my beam tool. And after a few breathtaking seconds, voila! Lights were coming to life all over the complex. Revealing dozens of Fallen, crawling about the ceiling and walls.

“They’re coming for us!” I shouted out to my Guardian.

She could hardly believe her eyes, the very sight of so many monstrous creatures made the mare jump up in fear, “Run!” I cried out to her. And just like before, without a second thought, she ran, heading for the opening gate.

“What do we do? I don’t think we can outrun those things!” My Guardian said, and she couldn’t be more correct. We weren’t going to last long without a means to defend ourselves.

So I searched, scanning over dust riddled surfaces and under old supply crates for anything of use, “There!” I said, shining my light on an old assault rifle leaning against a wall. The Guardian picked up the gun with haste, levitating it with her Unicorn magic. She spun it around, looking it over like some unread book.

“What’s wrong?” I asked the Guardian.

“I… I’ve never fired a gun before…” she admitted.

“It’s easy, just look through the iron sight on the top of the gun and pull the trigger,”

“That’s not what I meant,” she said, “I’ve never killed anything before,”

“Plenty of Ponies haven’t,”

“But I don’t want to kill!” the mare declared. She obviously had some kind of moral standpoint back when she was first alive. But this wasn't going to help if we were going to survive.

“Guardian, the Fallen want to kill, and they will kill unless you kill them first,”

“But there has to be some other way! Maybe we could coexist with them!”

“… Guardian… We’ve tried…”

“But-"

“And millions have died because we tried!!” my voice had become irate, increasing in volume to dash those thoughts of peace away from the mare. She doesn’t understand. And how could she?

She must’ve lived in a time of peace, long before the Collapse.

“Guardian…” I began, “I don’t know who you were before today, but I must ask you to leave all of that behind you. Otherwise, we’ll both end up dead.”

The mare couldn’t believe what I was saying. Her face hardened to a stern glare, taking offense to my words. “I will never forget…” she said, pointing the gun at me in warning, “If you ever ask me to again…” the gun was now shaking, she could barely keep it in the air as tears fell from her face. But before I could even speak, a rupture was be heard from above, repeating and getting closer until… The Fallen had found us. Fallen, bipedal monstrosities. Taking on the form of an average Pony, these things have an extra set of hooves and are heavily armored. Complete with four eyes and an unquenchable desire to kill and take anything and everything.

“Take cover!” I ordered my Guardian, and she ducked behind the closest set of crates, the gun still close to her body. She was panting, horrified to see Fallen for the first time up close.

“There are only two of them! Take them out! Fight Guardian!” I ordered.

“I can’t!” the Guardian shouted, closing her eyes shut as the Fallen opened fire on us.

“These boxes won’t last much longer…” I said, predicting the unavoidable future. The mare couldn’t stop panicking, and as if she were looking for solutions, the mare turned to me for answers. But there was nothing to say. She knew what I would say if she asked for help, so I told her.

“Fight Guardian!”

The mare almost retorted again. But she stopped, finally realizing what she needed to do. She wiped her face of her tears and nodded. Jumping out from behind her cover, the Guardian stared them down. With her gun armed and aimed at her enemies, she fired. I watched as the entire clip was emptied into the Fallen on the right. It fell over, dead. White blood seeped out of the wounds that were made. My Guardian sighed out of relief. But this fight wasn’t over.

“Reload!” I shouted to the mare, but it was too late.

The last remaining Fallen had tackled my Guardian. She fell on her back, holding the Fallen Dreg off with her gun as it chomped its teeth at her face. Unable to use the gun, the mare punched the Dreg square in the chest. Magic flowed out from her hoof as it added to the force she put into her attack. Sending it flying towards the ceiling. The Dreg made contact, and the impact ruptured its entire body.

Killing it in the process.

The Dreg fell back on top of my Guardian. Panicked, she squirmed to get the lifeless corpse off of her. It was only until she had finally got free of its weight that she could take the time to breathe.

The mare hid her face with her hooves, gasping and panting for air.

It was terrifying. Surely. I was concerned for her, but, This was for the best... I told myself.

“Guardian? Are you alright?” I asked.

“No…” She confessed, rasping with fatigue.

“Listen to me guardian,” I began, “I don’t expect to ever understand you… or your plight against killing. But believe me when I say, that I want to understand you,” the mare lifted her face from her hooves, surprised as she looked into my eye, “But I’ll never get to if we stay here.”

The mare shifted her gaze downward, eyeing the assault rifle on the ground. Lifting it with her magic, she stood back up. Reloading the gun and storing some of the Fallen’s ammo into her cloak and turning to me, she looked different. Determined, Brave even.

But being a Pony full of surprises, I could have never guessed what she’d say next.

“Are the Fallen the reason Ponyville is like this?” She asked out of nowhere, and as I was hesitant to answer, I figured she deserved it.

“Yes…” I said.

“Then that's a good enough reason for me," she said, "Let's fight them."

“With pleasure!” I commented as we started off down the hall. Fallen howls could be heard from afar, but they’d soon get closer and closer. We followed the hallway of rusted metal until we reached an old storage room. It was spacious, big enough to house a Jump ship or two. But instead, it housed four Fallen.

“Three Dregs and one Vandal, think you can handle them?” I asked my Guardian. She looked at me with a raised eyebrow

“Can a Pony play ten instruments at once?” she asked.

“Was that a rhetorical question?” I asked back.

“Maybe…” she answered, noticing the Fallen had seen her. She dodged the opposing fire in the nick of time, falling behind cover to hide from their attacks. The Guardian took a moment to equip her helmet and checked her ammo before she peered around the corner to aim.

The sight on the gun was cracked and in poor condition, but she made do. Her first rounds were aimed for the Dreg in the far back. Five bullets were fired, four hit its head, splitting the armor open and causing the entire head to explode into a geyser of blood. A perfect head shot. “Nice shot!” I complimented her.

“Why thank you!” she replied, taking the time to respond with still three other Fallen firing without rest. The next Dreg didn't get the same accuracy as the last, instead, she just shot it until it fell.

The last Dreg was reloading while my Guardian opened fire as she ran towards it. Now there was only one left, the Vandal. Clad in white armor unlike the Dregs, this foe dodged my Guardian’s bullets with ease as it sprinted toward her. We ran around a corner to escape its attacks, and the Vandal gave chase. The Vandal glanced round, only to find nothing when he did. Round and round he circled the square pillar in the room, with no luck whatsoever. For unknown to him, my Guardian and I had hidden. Concealed under a Jumpship’s wing, remaining there until the precise moment. The Vandal tossed and turned over this, still blind to our plan. And as he stood there, my Guardian slowly stepped out from under the wing toward the Vandal and tapped his shoulder.

When he spun around in surprise, she socked him. Hitting his head backward from her magical force, but the Fallen was still alive and well. My Guardian was probably hoping to repeat the events prior to this encounter. With one punch resulting in one dead Fallen. But this was a Vandal, no mere Dreg. It would take more than a punch to render him cold at her hooves. So as the Vandal shook its dizzy head, my Guardian readied another punch. This time the magic could be seen revolving around her hoof. Glowing bright blue with power, she released it. The punch connected with the Valdal’s torso, the magic left her hoof moving into the Fallen’s body, circling around him as the magic turned into a bright blue aura until the impact of the punch caught up with him. And when it did, his entire body went flying, slowing down his mass in midair until it all but disappeared from existence. The Vandal’s disintegration was truly a sight to see, but my Guardian was fixated on something else.

Her hoof was in pain, this was proof of her needlessly shaking her already healing limb. “Are you hurt?” I inquired.

“Just a little bit,” she answered, continuing to shake her hoof, and occasionally stepping on the floor to make sure it was good enough to walk on.

“Will you be alright?”

“Yeah… But this might be a problem,” she said.

“How so?” I asked.

“If I keep getting into these close encounters, my hoof in going to come off.” she said, resuming our escape on the catwalk to the left of the room.

“True… It would be beneficial to have an additional weapon on hoof. Like a knife, but we were lucky to even find that,” I said, gesturing to the assault rifle by looking at it. And then the catwalk ended, leading into yet another hallway. “Most likely being patrolled by Fallen…” I guessed, and judging by my Guardian’s sagging head, she wasn’t looking forward to it. “Come on, the sooner we get out of here the better,” I said, floating down the hallway.

“And after that?” the mare asked.

“Pardon?”

“And after that then what? How are we going to get out of here? What’s your Plan?” she asked, stopping before the hallway, concerned about her chances of survival. I thought it was fairly obvious. But I forget, I’m talking to a dead pony.

“We’re looking for a Jumpship…” I told her.

“A Jump ship? What’s that?” she asked.

“A Jumpship is a vehicle that traverses space, we’ll need one to make it back to the city,”

“Didn’t you come here in one?” she assumed.

“No, Jumpship’s are scarce and expensive. If I had a Jumpship, we wouldn't be having this conversation.” I explained.

“…Some plan…” the mare grumbled, but I couldn’t agree more.

The scary thing about running about a stronghold of Fallen is my knowledge about them. Their scavengers, pillagers, and pirates. They take anything and everything that might be of use to them. So the possibility of an intact Jumpship sitting around somewhere is a billion to one. But clearing a path through these Fallen is bit more concern- “Ghost!” my Guardian called out to me.

“What is it?” I asked.

“I think it’s a treasure chest, ” she said, pointing to a glowing mechanical chest.

“Well, open it. There could be some Spin-metal or glimmer in there,” I told her as she opened the chest. A gleam of white light flashed over our eyes, revealing the loot inside. Two Spin-metal, one hundred Glimmer, and a Sawed-off Shotgun.

“So I guess you won’t be breaking your hoof anytime soon?” I interjected.

“No I won’t!” said the Guardian, glee could be seen on her face as she examined the shotgun.

“Shall we continue?” I suggested.

“Right behind you!” the Guardian said, following me as I scouted ahead. The hallway was falling apart, just like everywhere else in the facility. The wall's peeled paint, the dimmed flickering lights, and the- “Stop!” I warned my Guardian, “Trip mines, don’t touch those!”

The Guardian observed them closely, two small devices were set on either side of the hallway, with an inferred beam running in between the parallel of the bombs attached to said devices. My Guardian was alert, crawling on the ground and jumping over every red line that crossed our path.

“Are the Fallen always this… Paranoid?” the mare asked, “Leaving trip mines behind that is?”

"Not usually, but the House of Devils are a different story," I said, rattling off a little more about the Devil's trap making before I saw my Guardian practically doing the limbo, her chin nearly touching the laser to setting off a bomb.

“Shouldn’t… You be… More… Careful!?” I asked, as one too many close calls after another had been witnessed.

“Please Mr. Ghost, I know exactly what I’m doing,” The cocky mare then performed and showed off her sloppy, scary, and dangerous display of wall jumping, somersaulting, and diving skills as she dodged each and every trip mine in the hallway.

And at the very end, she posed. Bowing like a world class athlete.

“Guardian… Could you do me a favor?” I asked.

“And what would that be?”

“Never, ever, do that again!” I nagged the mare, who had caused my functions to overreact.

The Guardian laughed at my expense, “Oh come on Ghost, it was just a bit of fun-" she was interrupted by an alarm ringing, as when my boastful Guardian took a step forward, she had unknowing brushed her hoof through a trip mine, resulting in a large explosion. Metal ceilings, concrete wall, and all manner of debris came crashing around us, as each and every bomb was set off in the hallway. Burying us alive.