• Published 22nd Sep 2014
  • 1,744 Views, 15 Comments

Looking Beyond the Mirror - Choices Accepted



Twilight has discovered a new power though she is unaware of what type it is. Before she can truly being experimenting another evil begins destroying Equestria.

  • ...
4
 15
 1,744

Chapter 1

A loud explosion rocked the castle and its inhabitants. From one of the high windows in the throne room, several ponies and a draconequus watched as guards ran towards the noise below.

“It is time,” Celestia stated backing away from the window, her rainbow mane fluttering in an invisible wind as always.

“Yes we only have moments if we are to save Equestria,” Luna said. She had grown over the years and was now only a horn short of her sister’s impressive height.

Cadence kept her eyes on her husband who was below directing his soldiers to specific areas. For a brief moment their eyes met and she whispered a few words knowing he could read her lips. The moment was broken by another explosion and shouts all around. Shining Armor winked at his princess and ran off to assist where he was able.

“We must hurry,” Cadence put in, turning from the window as well.

Twilight Sparkle nodded her head, a determined glint in her eyes. She had changed the most since becoming a princess twenty years ago. Twilight and Cadence were actually equal in height now, her dark blue mane with purple and pink streaks had grown reaching just above her knees. Her wings had also lengthened a few inches their original size. Most noticeable but only for those sensitive to such things was her magic. Just as it seemed Twilight had reached her peak and was able to control it; a new crisis would arise and another aspect of her magic was discovered. With this new threat Twilight had not had the time to really grasp what her magic was trying to tell her.

All four princesses were dressed in armor similar to their guards in pure gold and silver. Discord was floating in the air above Twilight munching on popcorn and exclaiming over the size of the explosions and flying debris.

“Have there been any reports from the girls? Where they able to get a better resting pattern while using the Elements of Harmony?” Twilight asked, turning to the others.

“Yes, they are going to do a four pony shield with one of them rotating out every twelve hours. Today Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Fluttershy, and Applejack are holding it up. We’ve been able to smuggle a few more injured into the protective dome. Sadly with more ponies the food supply is being stretched again. Some of the land is farmable but they have to conserve water as well,” Luna responded, her gaze distant.

“A worrying thought. We have to take this thing down as soon as possible.”

“Discord, you know what to do.” Celestia looked sadly in his direction.

Twilight looked up at him confused as she had not known he was taking on a different task. Popcorn was tossed over his shoulder as he saluted Celestia.

“Will do. Hold down the fort until I get back.” Discord then wrapped himself around Twilight and snapped his fingers.

XxX

Appearing in the crystal catacombs deep underneath the castle, Twilight turned her head and glared at Discord.

“What in the hay was that for?! Take us back we have to fight that thing!”

“We are. I just wanted one last kiss before you go.” Puckering up Discord leaned in for a smooch but kissed her hoof instead.

“Last night and earlier this morning wasn’t enough for you? Besides where am I going? We’ve been married five years I can tell when you’re stalling and don’t think I didn’t catch the difference between we are and you go. What’s going on dear?” Twilight removed her hoof and gazed at him sternly.

With a sigh Discord moved away from Twilight and snapped his fingers making a stuffed couch of green and orange appear. Sitting on one end, he patted the seat next to him and if it wasn’t for the solemn expression on his face Twilight would have refused. Once comfortable Discord turned to her, she was now a little more worried with his serious face being kept.

“The other princesses and I feel it’s best to leave you out of this fight. No, no let me finish first. When this thing came so far you are the only one able to actually hurt it.”

“Which is why I should be out there fighting...” She started but a lion paw covered her mouth.

“And yet you are still learning control. Sparkle this thing ...it’s stronger than the Adult Cerberus of Tartarus. It killed an Usa Major a feat we thought nigh impossible. We’re going to use our combined power to stop time everywhere; it’ll trap this thing with us until you’ve gotten the training needed to destroy it.” Discord sighed and placed his arm around Twilight’s shoulder.

“Where would I train? Everywhere has been tainted by this thing. We should put all our efforts together into defeating it. I can’t just leave Equestria like this. I can’t leave you.” Tears glistened in violet eyes.

“Celestia and Cadence have already spelled the mirror that took you to an alternate dimension. It’s going to take you to an alternate Equestria instead. There you can learn from the other Celestia and try to find something that may not be here. This time though you will have to wait three years before coming back through the mirror.” Waving a hand behind him Twilight looked over his shoulder to see the same mirror that had transported her to that human realm so many years ago.

Turning back to Discord she couldn’t help the tears falling down her cheeks. Leaning into the eagle claw that cupped her cheek she closed her eyes.

“Please don’t ask me to do this. Was it because I was almost captured? I’ll do my best to stay safe. I promise Discord don’t send me away from you all.”

Pained stabbed at his heart as he saw his wife cry silently before him. Not wanting what was hopefully nowhere near their last moments end sadly he snapped up a bit of Chaos and turned them upside down. Brushing away the last of the tears, he wiggled his talons around her sides and the base of her wings causing her to start laughing. Catching on Twilight retaliated as well and soon both were rolling in the air giggling.

“Now darling I have faith that you’ll save us all and you know I hate saying that word,” Discord stated after they caught their breath.

Taking a deep breath and letting it out explosively Twilight gave him a small smile.

“If you didn’t want me around anymore all you had to do was say so. Tossing me into an inter-dimensional mirror is a little over the top. ” A quick burst of pink magic and they were back on the ground the plush couch gone. She quickly used magic to get her armor off and picked up the saddle pack that was leaning against the mirror, tightening it on her back. She walked over to the mirror and looked into it. Twilight was surprised that her reflection was not staring back at her instead it was a shimmery opaque that rippled when she pressed a hoof to it.

“Wait!”

Turning, Twilight felt the familiar weight of her husband wrapping around her and his lips pressing into hers. Her eyes closed and she thought of nothing but the feel of his lips, memorizing the subtle shift of his body against hers. Breaking apart they touched foreheads for a brief moment.

“I just wanted to say I love you. Okay off you go.” And Discord pushed Twilight into the mirror a hearty laugh the last thing she hears.

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading. <(^_^<)~