• Published 21st Apr 2012
  • 4,323 Views, 119 Comments

The Shogun Six - Warwolf



AU. A very different and male version of the Mane Six from a very different Equestria must defeat an ancient evil that threatens their world.

  • ...
18
 119
 4,323

Travelers

The Shogun Six

Disclaimer: I do not own My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic or any characters belonging to Hasbro or any other company whose characters may be mentioned herein. All original characters mentioned here are my own creations. I do this solely for entertainment purposes and in no way make any profit from it.

Chapter Three:

Travelers


True to his word, Flash had managed to buff out the knicks in Dusk's Katana in only a short while. While nowhere yet as skilled as his father, or so he claimed, Dusk noted the other unicorn was a deft touch with the skills all artificers needed to be successful.

"So, Flash, have your family always been artificers?" Dusk asked, his curiosity getting the better of him, hoping that the other colt was open to discussion while working. Luck, it seemed was on his side, for Flash snickered in utter amusement at this.

"Hardly. My mother is so utterly against father and I being artificers. She used to be a minor noble on the outlands near the border." he replied. "That was before I was born and well before my parents met, mind you. We do good work and we live comfortably. But she still misses the glory days."

"You're a prince?" Dusk just about swallowed his tongue at the idea that he was being that casual with royalty.

Flash snorted this time, sounding annoyed. "By the Shogun, no. Mother was a part of the nobility, but only in the loosest sense. She was something like a daimyo's daughter or something. I suppose that does technically mean she had the title of princess, though. She has no blood tie to the Shogun. That I'm aware of, at any rate. So she was part of the extended nobility, not the direct bloodlines."

Dusk let out a sigh of relief at that.

"Sorry." he said. "For a minute there I was worried if I should have been bowing or not."

At this Flash actually laughed.

"I'm glad you aren't. Mother may still see herself as a noble, but I'm happy just being a Samurai in training like yourself. The Samurai are extended nobility in their own right and I've always dreamed of being able to serve Equestria on the front lines. Much like yourself I imagine, seeing as you've been given such a wonder as this by the Shogun himself." The silver-white unicorn stopped short at that for a moment. "On the subject, my new found friend, why exactly are you out here if you're the apprentice—or at least used to be the apprentice— to the Shogun himself? What could possibly have sent you out of the capital?"

Dusk shook his head, giving Flash only a snapshot version of the truth. He was on a quest for the Shogun, but he didn't have the slightest clue as to how in Equestria he was going to accomplish it since he wasn't even sure what he was supposed to look for. He was sure that if he mentioned the Elements of Bushido that Flash would think the Shogun had just wanted to get rid of Dusk, and that thought had been nagging him all too much in the last day or so since he'd had to pack up and leave the only real home he'd ever had and leave behind the closest thing to family he'd ever known.

"A quest, hm? Did he say you had to go it alone?" Flash asked as he handed back the Katana to test its weight and heft. He wanted to be sure that his work wasn't affecting the weapon's balance or alter Dusk's physical sense of the weapon, as it could be dangerous if that were to happen in the midst of a future fight. Dusk looked up in surprise. "Oh don't look so shocked. I'm aware that some quests must be undertaken by individuals, but its highly unusual to see a Samurai so young be sent on one, so I was curious, that's all."

Dusk gave this some thought. Since he was supposed to find the others who were incarnates of the Elements of Bushido, that was in essence an order that could mean he was supposed to travel with others. It wasn't like he couldn't use the company, and there were supposed to be five others. He smiled and shook his head as he handed the weapon back to Flash to finish his work, sensing no negative impact on the weapon.

"He didn't say I had to go it alone." Dusk said after some consideration. "The problem would be finding anyone interested in joining in on such a quest since there's no telling how long it would last or even where I'd have to go to complete it." He shrugged. "I get the feeling this isn't going to be some three day trip or something. It could be years before I've finished the task he set out for me."

Flash nodded, giving that some thought. Eventually, he handed the Katana back to Dusk, who shifted into anthro form to examine the weapon again. True to his word, the few knicks in the blade were gone, and the thing looked like it was brand new. He had to give Flash credit. The other unicorn certainly knew his trade, and he suspected he might be being a bit overly modest about his actual skill. He paid Flash the five bits he'd charged, adding in another five as a tip, which Flash had smiled in response to, and sheathed the blade.

"Thanks again for your help." Dusk said with a grin as he changed back to full pony form. "I hope we'll run into one another again sometime. I'll put in a good word for you and your father with the Shogun, when and if I ever get back."

Flash's smile was grateful but he waved it off.

"No worries, Dusk. It was a pleasure to work on such a phenomenal blade. And the free advertising is more than appreciated."

The two parted ways and Dusk headed out into town once more. He noticed that the bandits he'd taken down earlier were finally getting help as well as being arrested. He wondered how anyone had known they'd tried to mug him. Then he shrugged as he heard the charges being levied against them. He had apparently not been the first pony they'd tried to accost today by the sound of it. He was just the only one to successfully prevent them from making off with his possessions. He walked on, wondering what to do next. Checking his watch briefly, he noticed it was getting onto mid-afternoon. Realizing he would need to find a place to sleep for the night, he quickly found and rented a room. It had been difficult at first. Being still just a colt, the manager had been reluctant to rent to him, even if he was a Samurai-in-training. It took him revealing that he was an orphan who had been taken in by the Shogun's school before he was given lodgings for the night. He felt a little bad about not revealing the entire truth— after all, the Shogun had taken him in and made him his ward as well as his apprentice, practically adopted him in all but fact— but didn't think this was the proper time to invoke the Shogun's name. It hadn't come down to an emergency, otherwise he might have explained just who he really was. If worst came to worst he could have simply set up camp somewhere in one of the parks. Between his time on the streets and his training at the school and with the Shogun, he was no stranger to making do with far less than most ponies took for granted.

He slept fitfully that night. His dreams were filled with terror and fear. His dreams bounced from one horror to the next....


The sun bore down upon Equestria with all the hate and fury of a monster. A demonic eye that never blinked, and slowly crushed all beneath its heat and oppressive gaze. Trees and crops withered under the unending heat, ponies stretched themselves to the breaking point to find shade, only to watch as firey monstrosities would destroy their sources of reprieve. From a high tower nearly a mile high, a laugh that could only be called evil rang across the land of Equestria. A laugh that belonged to a force he couldn't see or identify. In the mountain ranges of Scottsdale, what was left of the moon lay shattered along their length. Ponies labored in chains, many being worked to exhaustion, and then far past that point.

In what was once the fertile plains known as appaloosa, the desert had taken hold. Many pony corpses littered the grounds, the heat proving too much for the once hardy settlers who had tamed the forestry there.....

In what was once imperial capital.....The dessicated corpse of the shogun hung, a pike driven up through the back of his neck and out his skull, making it seem as though he had two horns. His lifeless eyes spoke of loss and horror, and of a great failure. The failure.

Dusk's failure.

Dusk himself was chained to the base of the pike. Never allowed to die, but forced to be incapable of leaving his surrogate father's side for the rest of eternity. Forced to live forever with the price of his failure.....


Dusk woke in a cold sweat as dawn neared, unable to stand any of the further horrors he saw after that vision. It took him nearly ten minutes to get his breathing under control again. He turned to look out the window as the sun began to crest the horizon.

I won't fail. I won't let that come to pass!

So resolved, he got up, and after a quick shower, gathered his things, checked out, and started on his quest with renewed vigor. That had been more than a dream, he realized. It was at the same time what he needed most— validation that the Shogun had indeed sent him on a genuine quest instead of simply trying to find a nice way to get rid of him— and a message from a possible future as to what awaited him if he failed.

Setting out, he tried to figure out how to accomplish his goal. He knew so little about how one would go about finding one of the Incarnates. The Shogun had more or less told him he was one of t he Incarnates of the Elements of Bushido. But he had no clue how to find the others. Would they find him? Would they perhaps not even have chosen their hosts yet? There were so many variables.

"We meet again!" called a voice from Dusk's right, and he turned to see Flash cantering his way. The artificer had been very easy to get along with the previous day. He had a naginata strapped along his back at an angle for quick draw if necessary.

"So it seems. What brings you out of the forge today, Flash?" The indigo unicorn asked with a grin as the silver-white unicorn finally caught up to him. Since it seemed both were heading the same way, they walked together.

"Out getting some supplies. I have rather a talent at finding gems. And seeing as my father and I are artificers who work with various materials, including Metagem weaponry...." he trailed off meaningfully, but the pride in his eyes was apparent.

"You're the perfect choice to go scouting for materials when supplies run low instead of spending money on things you can actually go out and acquire yourself for free." Dusk finished, and Flash gave a quick, sage little nod. "Mind some company? I'm still not sure how to go about fulfilling my quest for the Shogun, and I could use another pony to bounce ideas off of."

"My pleasure. I'm no slouch at defending myself and all when I go out there to find gems— Shogun above knows the Diamond Dogs are incessant, but I've never had much trouble in the past— but an extra body would be helpful in keeping them from trying anything too risky. They still fear the Shogun and their fully canine cousins and even the other races on our fair planet. But if they think they have a shot..."

"Fair enough." Dusk said with a smile.

The pair walked along, picking up a pair of carts for gems when they reached the town borders, and headed out into the outlands. It was a more rocky, semi-mountainous area outside the city, though the bullet train made it possible to go between cities in minutes, but few wanted to try to upset the balance of nature too much in this part of Equestria for reasons Flash tried to explain, but which Dusk wasn't entirely sure he understood. But he listened anyway, and the two chatted for some time as they went to work collecting gems. Flash, despite being trained differently than him in terms of his combat style, was by no means disagreeable. He wasn't anypony that Dusk himself wanted to be, but he wasn't someone Dusk would make a point to go out of his way to avoid. He made a mental note to visit the artificer when he had the chance once his mission was over. He was friendly and open, and while he had a distinct love of his work such that he often started to briefly go off on a tangent about it before realizing Dusk would have had no idea what he was going on about, he was good company otherwise. Besides, Dusk had so few friends at this point in his life, that he would be more than glad to have one more to call on when opportunity provided the chance.

"So, Dusk, a question occurs. You said you weren't sure how to go about fulfilling your quest, right?" Flash asked after a brief but companionable silence in which they'd done little more than collect gems of various types and sizes and shapes.

"So far I have no real clue. I'm not even sure how to find what I'm looking for. Or even if I'd know it when I saw it." Dusk replied with a nod and a helpless shrug of his shoulders. They were still in pony form since their horns were a better means of extraction than their hands at the moment.

Flash nodded, and was lost in thought for a moment before speaking.

"Would you like some company for the trip? At least for a little while?"

"Pardon?" The question hadn't been one Dusk was expecting.

"When an artificer comes to the end of their apprenticeship, they are required to go on a journey, to find themselves, and to craft a weapon solely their own. One that will become like an extension of themselves in battle. It's the final trial for an artificer. I'm coming close to the end of my apprenticeship. In fact, it ends in about two days time. While I am required to make the weapon myself, the rules of the apprenticeship among artificers don't say that the journey has to be made alone, and several others have had friends to travel with. Usually fellow Samurai in training, such as yourself. You're on a quest, and I'm about to undertake my final trial...I don't have many friends who haven't already gone off to train at one school or another, be it in the civilian or martial fields. And you look like you could use a friend. I get the feeling you were something of a shut-in when studying under the Shogun. A friendly face on a trip like yours would do you some good, I think." Flash explained with a chuckle.

Dusk gave it some thought as they walked their way back into the city, and with some coaxing, joined Flash for lunch, where he met the other unicorn's father, Flare Burst.

"Dad, this is my new friend Dusk Shine. He's the one I told you about from yesterday." the silver-white colt said by way of introduction. Flare Burst looked a bit surprised at Dusk, but then broke out into a light laugh.

"So this is the one with the metagem blade that you were drooling over, eh?" He looked the young indigo unicorn over. "He definitely has the build of someone trained to be a Samurai." Flare eyed the Katana sheath. "If it's not much of an imposition, could I see the blade? Flash here was going on about it for the better part of dinner last night."

Seeing little reason to deny the elder unicorn, Dusk pulled the weapon free and allowed Flare to take the weapon in hand as he shifted to anthro form, looking it over with great interest. He studied the weapon from nearly all angles, before handing it back to Dusk, though he looked sad at having to do so.

"That weapon is a miracle of metagem-craft, child. The Shogun must think very highly of you to make such a valuable weapon a gift to one so young."

"Yes sir." Dusk said, smiling bashfully. "I've been his apprentice for years. I'd still be at the Palace now if he didn't need me to do something outside the Imperial Capital."

Flare Burst nodded. The trio chatted amicably for a bit longer, and then the elder artificer went back into the forge, while Dusk offered to give the younger unicorn a hand with his chores outside of it. As the sun came to slowly set on the horizon, they were joined by Flash's mother, High Aspirations. She had been surprised to learn that the Shogun's apprentice was wandering about on his own, but she seemed gracious enough. Though she asked after the events at court so much that Dusk was beginning to see just what Flash had meant when he'd mentioned that she had been a daimyo's daughter. He wondered when she had lost her seat of power though. While Daimyo were occasionally unseated and replaced, either by election or by the edict of the Shogun, it was rare in the extreme. It was usually a lifelong— and hereditary— posting. He answered her questions as best he could, and was surprised when Flare Burst offered to put him up for the night. Since he hadn't thought to book a few days at the inn beyond the one, he humbly accepted.

The family put him up for the night in a spare bedroom, and he eventually got around to making use of it after a sparring match with Flash. Who as it turned out, was very good with that naginata of his. They'd spent the better part of two hours sparring and then doing some joint training in both pony and anthro forms. The next day had found Dusk giving some serious thought to Flash's offer to accompany him on his quest. Though he knew this meant he would have to explain to Flash just what he was sent to find. He hoped that the other unicorn wouldn't change his mind once he found out.

Dusk was of no real use in a Forge, so he helped Flash out again when he was sent to procure some more materials that would go into the construction of various weapons. This trip took them around the city a bit. By sheer chance, they found themselves running into a pair of Earth ponies whose attention was immediately caught by Dusk.

"Well, well. The mountain comes to Mohammed." One of them said. He was a roan colored pony with a brass knuckle for a warrior mark. "You put two of our buds in the slammer and laid them up in the hospital on top of it, kid. We ain't happy about that. No sir, we ain't happy about that at all."

"As I understand it, those dimwits got themselves in over their heads again." Flash said. "What is this, the twelfth time this year they've been arrested?" Dusk looked over at him in surprise. He'd had no idea his attackers from a few days before had a record. Let alone that this was something they were known for. He wondered why they kept trying to be criminals if they were so apparently horrendous at it. The Earth ponies were not amused as the one with the brass knuckle warrior mark snorted through his nose and the two charged, transforming to their anthromorphic forms as they did.

It was clear that like the Pegasi, these ponies were basically thugs whose skill in combat came from being on the streets but lacking any extensive formal training. In that regard, Dusk and Flash, who transformed as well to meet them with a pair of overhead judo-style flips, had them beat. But they hadn't beaten them just yet. The two Earth ponies charged them again, and again they were dealt with by a simple use of leverage. This second attempt and failure forced them to rethink their strategy. They came in slower, each pulling out a sickle apiece. In response, Dusk drew the katana he'd gotten from the Shogun, while Flash pulled his naginata free to stand at the ready.

The two pairs of fighters stared one another down, each wanting the other to make the first move. Eventually, it was the thugs who moved first, attacking in tandem. Dusk paired off with one and Flash with the other, and the four of them went at it, blades clashing, even as Dusk and Flash began using their unicorn magic to levitate objects and use them to distract and harry the Earth ponies. Luckily for the young samurai, their foes weren't trained in any of the non-unicorn magical disciplines, so they had the edge there. But they were still colts, while these Earth ponies were not and this was the only real way to offset their strength advantage. Flash, using the greater reach his naginata afforded him, was able to keep his opponent further afield from him. Dusk on the other hand, had little choice but to get up close and personal. Only the fact that he'd had formal combat training kept him from being pretty soundly trounced by the older and bigger pony despite his lack of magic or formal training. And it became a near thing only a few moments later.

Flash had just managed to maneuver his own opponent into a position to knock himself out by running headlong into a nearby wall with great force. He turned to see Dusk contending with the other one and holding his own at the very least, when he tripped on a loose piece of pavement and went down in a heap. He didn't seem hurt, but that wasn't going to hold true for long if the thug with the sickle and brass knuckle warrior mark had his way. He was on Dusk in a moment, blade at his throat.

"Say goodbye, kid." The brass knuckle marked pony said. He had an amused and smug look on his face. One Dusk hated to admit probably had good reason to be there. He'd been stupid enough to fall because he hadn't paid better attention to his surroundings. Just as he was wondering how best to apologize to the Shogun for his failure if he ever got permission from the rulers of the afterlife to speak to his surrogate father again, a body was flung at the pony above him, which turned out to be his own companion. Flash was moving in the blink of an eye right behind the unconscious body that now left Dusk's adversary supine on the ground. His naginata blade was pointed squarely at the underside of the snout, where neck met jawbone.

"I think it might be best, my friend, if you forget you ever saw us, hmm? I'd prefer not to shed your blood here, but I can't have you endangering the life of a friend of mine, now can I?" the silver-white unicorn said. The Earth pony set his jaw mulishly, looking ready to argue, but Flash pressed the tip close enough to draw blood, which gave the downed pony reason to reconsider, and nodded once, briefly.

"Good. Now if you'll kindly spread the word among your friends not to try this kind of thing anymore, I'll see fit not to report this to the police, and neither will Dusk. Though as a word of warning, you really wouldn't want to upset Dusk's family. He's from a very prominent house, and they could make life very difficult for you."

This time the pony's nod came faster and much more vigorously. The threat of having the wrath of a house come down on somepony wasn't a good thought for street thugs. Flash nodded, and pulled away his naginata. After putting it away, he gathered up Dusk's katana and helped the indigo unicorn to his feet as the Earth pony picked up his companion and ran.

"Part of a prominent house?" He asked, raising one brow, amusement twinkling in his green eyes.

"You are the Shogun's apprentice. Close enough." Flash said with a grin. Dusk shook his head and snorted in good humor.

"You were pretty generous back there, promising not to go to the cops if they backed off."

"Of course." Flash replied. "being a benevolent victor never hurt, now did it?" Flash returned, as though it were the simplest thing in the world. Dusk gave him a thoughtful look.

"I think I will take you up on that offer for company on my quest. Just...try not to think too much less of me about it." And so Dusk began relating just what it was he was tasked to search for...


Author's notes: Seems things are starting to look up for Dusk Shine. A new friend and traveling companion aside, he's learned a valuable lesson. Guess we'll have to see how this new development affects both of our young samurai in future chapters. On fanfiction.net, this chapter went up March 10, my birthday. So this is something of a gift to myself! But it's also for my fellow bronies. Not much to say about today's chapter in notes. See ya next chapter!

As ever, reviews are welcome, constructive criticism is a gift, and flames will be used to broil Solaris within the heart of the sun.