• Published 21st Apr 2012
  • 4,018 Views, 141 Comments

A New Dawn on The Horizon - thunderhawk7865



10 years after the events of The 7th Element, Blazing Dawn must face a foe that has resurfaced.

  • ...
21
 141
 4,018

Betrayal

Chapter 5: Betrayal


Only an hour had passed since Twilight had set up a plan of action to guarantee their survival until the morning, when backup would arrive to save everypony. Rainbow Dash and Blazing Dawn slept huddled together, Rainbow's wing wrapped around her son like a blanket, keeping him closer to her side. Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie slept on their sides, quietly breathing in and out as they peacefully slept. Rarity, Twilight, and Sweetie Belle slept in a tight pack to maintain body heat and uphold a certain level of comfort.

Spike softly smiled from his post by the door at seeing his beloved sleeping so tranquil, until his eyes caught the sad expression Papyrus had. Following the direction of his head, Spike saw what had him feeling down. Applejack was softly rubbing Applebloom's back while her younger sister tossed and turn in her sleep; shivering every now and then. Clearly, it looked like she was having an unpleasant dream.

Turning away from the two Apple sisters, his eyes focused on the candle in the middle of the room. It burned brightly, illuminating the silently ticking clock above. The clock read 2:00 AM
and spike felt glad he had turned off the chime. After all everypony deserves a good night's rest even in the middle of an apocalypse of a nightmare—-A loud knock echoed from the door, startling everypony who wasn't awake. Almost everypony's eyes widened in fear before Blazing Dawn, Applebloom, Fluttershy, and Pinkie attempted to scream-only to have their mouths covered from making any noise.

Papyrus flew down the stairs, drawing his sword at the ready while Spike lengthened his claws, ready to battle anypony who tried to break in.

Twilight quietly walked up to the door and waited for whoever knocked to identify themselves. After a few tense quiet moments, they all heard a familiar voice, "Twily! Are you in there!?" Called the worried voice of Shining Armor.

Everypony sighed in relief, visibly relaxing. Blazing Dawn stood up and walked over to Twilight before saying, "Aunty Twi, I think it's safe to open up." He said. Blazing Dawn floated gently into the air before whispering, "He doesn't sound taken over to me..."

Shining Armor spoke up again from behind the door, "Twilight, Blazing Dawn is right! it's safe out here for now since I took care of...Cadence." His voice almost fell to a whisper the moment his wife's name came to his lips.

"Alright Shining Armor," Twilight begun, "If it really is you, then answer this question: Name all the Elements of Harmony, including the seventh and who has them."

It got quiet for several moments before Shining Armor replied, "The Elements of Harmony are Magic, Laughter, Generosity, Kindness, Honesty, Loyalty, and Love. Magic is Twilight, Pinkie is Laughter, Rarity is Generosity, Fluttershy is Kindness, Applejack is Honesty, Rainbow Dash is Loyalty and Ace was Love, but it can only come out when he comes together with Rainbow Dash, making her the only bearer of the Elements of Harmony to wield two of them simultaneously." He answered curtly.

Twilight audibly sighed in relief, "You got it all right, Shining Armor. Just stand back a bit for me to open the door." She heard him backup and using her magic, she opened the door, only to gasp when a white hoof wrapped tightly around her throat, causing the rest of her friends to gasp in horror.

Shining Armor cackled maniacally and began to transform into the mutated form all the victims of the Nightmare became, "I am no longer 'Shining Armor'," He said in a mocking tone, "I am Nightmare Armor!" His guards also gave up their disguise, transforming back into the dark form Rainbow Dash had been exposed to.

Papyrus had heard enough and rushed at him with his sword, but was surprisingly slapped aside by a simple swipe from Nightmare Armor's other hoof.

Twilight gurgled and gagged as she felt her consciousness slipping in the grasp of her possessed older brother's hoof. 'Nightmare Armor' cackled maniacally before tightening his steel grip further, "I am very thankful that your brother had such an abundant source of energy, making me even more powerful. And now that I've gained this new power, I will take over everypony in Ponyville and put an end to Loyalty and her spa—" Nightmare Armor was interrupted when Rainbow Dash suddenly slammed into his side, sending him crashing into one of Twilight's many bookcases.

"For all that power, you're not very aware, are ya' now?" Rainbow Dash remarked snidely, head turned up in a prideful manner while Twilight caught her breath.

Shakily, Twilight stood to her hooves, tears streaming down her face at the loss of her brother. Nodding her head at the basement door, everypony made quick haste to go downstairs and regroup, Twilight following just behind them.

"Spike!" Twilight cried out hoarsely, "Open the secret exit so we can all slip out of here and buy us more time!" She pleaded to her assistant.

The young dragon nodded in acknowledgement, as he and Papyrus tried to move the heavy boxes that covered the hidden exit. A shrill of terror echoed down into the basement.

"Rarity!" Spike called out in haste as he quickly ran to help.

When Spike reached the stairwell, he understood why she screamed in fear. Nightmare guards were swarming the stairs and attempting to separate Sweetie Belle from Rarity, who would have none of it.

Spike unclenched his claws and jumped over Rarity, swiping a guard across the face and knocking him to the ground. Another guard made an attempt to slice the dragon in half, but failed when a veil of light blue pushed him above the strike. Angling himself mid air, Spike shot back to the ground and toppled the guard before receiving a swift hoof strike across the face, knocking Rarity, Spike, and Sweetie Belle down the stairs.

The three screamed in panic before something soft held them back from impacting the ground. Spike looked behind him and sighed in relief, "Thanks a bunch, Shadow Breeze!" He said earnestly.

Shadow Breeze's face was immediately tinted in a light blush, "Don't worry about it," the stallion replied calmly. Looking over at Fluttershy who stood by the cleared exit way he shouted, "Go on ahead Fluttershy! I'll help them out and we'll catch up when we're done here!"

"But it's no—"

"It doesn't matter, 'Shy! They need all the help they can get and I'm not going to back down when they need it. Please go!"

"I..I.." Fluttershy heaved a deep breath to prevent herself from crying, "Please be safe Shadow Breeze...I love you." The nervous mare said quietly.

"I love you too, Fluttershy." He answered back as he allowed the two ponies and dragon to get up.

Rarity nuzzled her younger sister and pushed her in the direction of the exit, "Go on Sweetie, I got a few mongrels to take care of here."

Sweetie Belle stammered, "B-b-but sister! It's too dangerous!" she pleaded with Rarity.

Her older sister looked away before looking up at the approaching nightmare guards, "There are a lot of things that are dangerous Sweetie Belle, but we have to take risks if we want to maintain peace and order for everypony...now go...I'll catch up with you when I can."

"I don't wan—" Sweetie Belle was interrupted by Twilight as she spoke up from the entrance, "We need to go now, Sweetie Belle! If we stay here any longer things are going to get bad and fast." Sweeite Belle sighed before she trotted over the councilpony. Rarity gave Twilight a thankful nod for her help.

Once everypony got through the tunnel and locked the door and placed all the necessary enhancements, Sweetie Belle could have sworn she heard a large thud behind her as she trotted with the rest of the group.


The group shortly resurfaced just outside of some nearby shrubbery behind the library. They trotted quietly and quickly, making haste towards the town center, only to be horrified by what laid before them. Many residential homes and other buildings had caught fire, debris was falling onto the scorched and ruined streets every now and then. What scared them the most, especially Blazing Dawn, was the bodies of the innocent ponies that laid strewn about the town. Many laid motionless, others tossed slowly as they laid unconscious, wounded in various ways.

"This is horrible...There are so many dead and dying ponies because of the nightmare...so many innocent lives ruined and lost...because of me..." Blazing Dawn thought with a guilt stricken expression as he looked at the ground to avoid looking at the destruction in front of him.

A soft voice pulled him out of his self-loathing, "Honey, we need to keep moving if we wanna get to safety." Rainbow Dash said as she nuzzled her son and began to trot ahead lightly.

Blazing Dawn nodded to himself with grim determination and caught up with the group. They travelled around the large craters, overturned carts, debris, and tons of wreckage, the guards were beginning to catch up to them.

One of them had managed to leave the pack behind and tried to directly attack Rainbow Dash, only to be met with an equal match. He struck her in stomach after leaning in below a hoof strike aimed at his head. She grunted momentarily before redoubling her efforts and struck one her hind legs forward, nailing the guard in the crotch. As he was sent flying, Rainbow Dash quickly rotated on her hind legs, leaned forward and bucked him right below the chain, send him into the wall of a nearby shop that collapsed in on itself from the impact. The purple shroud of energy around the guard dissipated as he fell unconscious.

The moment the guard was down for the count, the whole group set out at a faster pace, aimlessly looking for a place to hide in the hopes of finding potential safety from "Nightmare Armor" and his platoon of possessed guards. Unfortunately, more and more guards started pouring out of alleyways, buildings, and the guards who had been chasing them miles back had finally started to close in on them.

Applejack yelled out to the group as they ran, "Were sittin' ducks here! We need ta' find a safe place ta' hide before we get overrun by these damn guards around us!"

"You're right, Applejack!" Twilight said in agreement before continuing, "And there's just the place for us to find safety!" She yelled back, pointing a hoof a magical shield in off distance, similar to the one Shining Armor had used to protect Canterlot years ago.

Pinkie Pie suddenly gasped while they retreated, "That's Sugar Cube Corner being protected!" She yelled excitedly.

Twilight hummed to her in thought before saying, "Looks like Pumpkin Cake has really brushed up on her training in the time I've been away..." She remarked in astonishment.

"Hurry up!" Rainbow Dash and Blazing Dawn shouted in near perfect unison as they brushed past the front of the pack while the guards gained more ground. Fluttershy, still running with the group, was crying out for anypony who was still trustworthy.

Unfortunately, that cry remained unanswered as they were within walking distance of Sugarcube Corner with no sign of survivors willing to group up. Suddenly, Nightmare Armor's guards had managed to surround them in a large circle. One of the guards stepped forward with a smirk on his face.

"So..." The guard said slyly before cackling for a moment, "Why don't you just surrender, hand over Loyalty and her son, and we'll stop all the destruction...just like that..." He held up a hoof and swished it around for emphasis.

Blazing Dawn's horn started to glow fiercely as he took on a battle-ready stance. His mother stood beside him, growling and stamping her hooves on the cobblestone beneath them. Papyrus clenched his teeth and drew his sword, taking to the air, "That's not really fair, you know." He swung it through the air and held it in front of his muzzle, smirking, "Seeing as you'll have to go through me!"

The Nightmare guard that spoke up cackled as the guards surrounding the group of heroes drew their weapons, "Fair enough..."

In an instant, the corrupt guards were upon the group, sinister looking weapons being brandished all the while. Rainbow Dash took to the air and slammed headlong into a guard, sending him flying. She then turned mid-flight and bucked another guard square in the chin. Blazing Dawn was scowling, his horn glowing intensely, as he and Twilight fired blast after blast of magic into the crowd of enemies. Twilight felt a hoof on her tail and mane behind her head. Pinkie Pie had begun spinning her tail, and, to everypony's surprise, and the corrupt guards' horror, Twilight began blasting magic out of her horn at an alarmingly similar rate to that of gatling gun on Earth.

Applejack and papyrus were back to back, Applejack knocking guards out with her strong, dependable hooves, and Papyrus dealing non-fatal blows to the guards' legs and torsos with his sword, careful not not kill any of his brothers in arms. Fluttershy, all the while, was fleeing from any guards that came her way, narrowly avoiding their attacks and somehow causing the guards to run into each other and knock themselves unconscious.

Applebloom and Sweetie Belle, surprisingly, were in the fight as well. Sweetie Belle used what offensive magic she knew to halt the progress of guards toward her, and Applebloom was melee, using her strong hooves just as her sister and brother had shown her, to bust enough guard skulls to get by. However, this winning streak did not last. A group of guards cornered her, the leader of whom used a low sweeping kick to knock her down.

"AHHHH! HELP!" Applebloom cried out, covering her head with her forehooves as the guard leader rose his sword to impale the small filly.

"AAAARGH!" Blazing Dawn shouted as he flew forward as fast as his still developing wings could carry him, ramming away the few guards behind the one about to impale Applebloom. Right as the guard began to thrust his sword down at Applebloom, he froze.

Literally.

Blazing Dawn had blasted the corrupt guard with a spell that froze him in a cement-like state.

Nearby, Rainbow Dash had just trampled a guard into submission after landing on him from the air. Hopping off the downed guard, the purple gas dissipated as it did for all the others when they were defeated, she smiled and took to the air again, "Nice job, Blaze! That was awesome!"

Blazing Dawn nodded in his mother's direction before touching down, and helping Applebloom up with his forehooves.

Applebloom smiled, "Thank ya', Bl-"

Before Applebloom could finish, Blazing Dawn was off into the air again, roaring a battle-cry that reminded Rainbow and Applebloom of Ace.

Rainbow looked over at Applebloom to see if she was okay. Upon nodding, both mares jumped back into the fight.

On the other side of the square, Papyrus had just finished off a guard by cutting both of his forehooves. As the gas dissipated from that guard, Papyrus yelled, "I DON'T WANT TO KILL YOU! GAH!"

A corrupt guard surprised Papyrus by jumping on him from behind, wrapping his armored forehooves around Papyrus' throat. Choking, Papyrus rolled off to the side, scraping the guard clinging to his neck off of him. Expertly, Papyrus recovered while the corrupt guard was still stunned and slammed the pommel of his sword right onto the noggin of the corrupt guard, knocking him out and expelling the Nightmare gas.

As the guard returned to normal, the sound of more wings beating behind him prompted Papyrus to turn around and rush at another guard, who expected to have made the flapping noise. However, upon seeing who had touched down on the battlefield, the Red Hoof corporal stopped short, "B-Blue Arrow?"

Blazing Dawn, Rainbow Dash, and everypony else in the fight turned to look in Papyrus' direction, confused as to what was happening. The Red Hoof commander, Blue Arrow stood in the street, his bangs making a shadow over his normally red eyes.

"Commander! Thank Celestia!" Papyrus started to run forward towards his commander. "C'mon! We have to fight off these gua-"

A sound from Blue Arrow made papyrus stop and freeze in terror. That sound was a whisper from Blue Arrow as he slowly looked up, his red eyes glinting in the night air.

A tear streaked down Blue Arrow's aged face as he uttered two words...

"Run, lad..."

With that, Blue Arrow cried out in pain, arching his head backwards. The war vet grew in stature, sprouted a sinister looking horn, and his wings became bat wings. Finally, his eyes snapped open, his red eyes now serpentine. Blue Arrow had become Nightmare Arrow.

"NOOOOOO!" Papyrus roared, tears in his eyes. Lunging forward, he had his sword poised to slice the Nightmare out of his commander.

"BWAHAHA!" Nightmare Arrow laughed before drawing his own sword and lunging at Payprus. Papyrus was trying valiantly to match his former CO blow for blow, but it proved useless. Nightmare Arrow drew upon Blue Arrow's memories of training Papyrus and found gaps in Papyrus' defenses, making deep cuts all over Papyrus' already beaten and winded body. Papyrus didn't falter for a second throughout the futile duel, the intense emotion of losing his CO to the Nightmare fueling his rage, tears streaming from his eyes.

Applejack looked over at Papyrus after she had finished off a guard with a well placed apple-buck kick. She gasped at the wounds Papyrus was sustaining, "Papyrus! Back off! T'ain't worth it, sugarcube!"

Papyrus could not hear her. He was in a blind rage at losing his commander to the corruption . The brave Hoof corporal fought with all his might, despite several critical wounds to his legs and body.

"You bore me, Hoof!" Nightmare Arrow said finally after a few more moments of intense fighting, "I think our little game is over! Hahaha!" To everypony's horror, Nightmare Arrow blasted Papyrus' sword out of his forehoof. Before Papyrus could do anything more, Nightmare Arrow took up his sword and jabbed it straight under Papyrus' left wing. Papyrus cried out in pain as blood gushed out of the wound. Nightmare Arrow cackled, withdrew the sword, and back-hoofed Papyrus a good distance away.

Applejack cried out in terror as Papyrus slammed hard on the hard cement ground. Applejack sprinted over to Nightmare Arrow, who had risen his partner's blood-stained sword up and was about to finish off the poor Hoof corporal. Applejack landed right in front of Nightmare Arrow as he was about to jab the sword down, whirled around, and gave her all into the most powerful buck she had done all day. There was a cracking noise, followed by Nightmare Arrow flying through the air, doing about three flips in-flight, and slamming through a merchant street cart that somepony had left behind.

Applejack ran back to Papyrus and lifted his head up her forehooves. He coughed out some blood and looked up at her, tears still streaming down his face. "A-Applejack...?"

"Look at me, Papyrus!" Applejack stroked his mane, "Yer gonna make it, don't worry!"

The group facing the guards were gaining the upper hoof, as many of the corrupt guards that ambushed them at this point had either run away or were unconscious and free of the Nightmare's spell.

"Hey! Whoever is in Sugar Cube Corner!" Twilight shouted at the building after blasting some magic at some retreating guards to make sure they didn't come back, "Pumpkin Cake? Is that you! Lower the shield please! The guards are gone!"

A small, timid female voice resounded from the Ponyville eatery that surprised everypony. "Is...is that Twilight Sparkle?"

"Yes, Pumpkin Cake!" Twilight answered, looking around as everypony gathered around the shield barrier.

"Twilight!" Pumpkin Cake's orange mane suddenly appeared in the doorway with a small smile, "I'm so glad you're okay! But..." She looked down. "I...I just can't lower the shield!"

"Oh, yes you can!" Blazing Dawn shouted from his spot next to him mother, who nodded desperately.

"Twilight!"

Everypony turned and was alarmed to see Applejack and Papyrus still on the street, Papyrus laying in a pool of his own blood, but still alive. Applejack was in tears, "He's dying!"

"Pumpkin Cake! Please, you must understand!" Twilight urged, "We have a wounded stallion!"

Pumpkin Cake hesitated, turned around and spoke to somepony behind her, then turned back and nodded, "Okay, but hurry inside, quick! They could come back at any time!"

The shield was lowered, and Rainbow Dash and Pound Cake, the tan Pegasus who Pumpkin Cake was talking to, began ushering everypony inside. Out on the street, Applejack was trying to get the mortally wounded Papyrus on her back to carry him to safety. As she tried to make her way to the safety of the restaurant, the distorted cried of more guards on the way could be heard coming from all directions, and to everypony's horror, the wreckage of the cart Nightmare Arrow had been flung into started to move.

He was still conscious and under the Nightmare's spell.

Twilight and Rainbow had just ushered Sweetie Belle inside past Pound Cake when Blazing Dawn, who was walking Applebloom inside, turned and saw the wreckage move, "CUD!" He swore loudly, pointing a hoof at the wreckage as more started to fly off, "We gotta get them inside, NOW!" Without thinking, Blazing Dawn, Applebloom, and Pound Cake rushed out to Applejack and supported Papyrus' limbs so that Applejack could walk faster.

Applejack grit her teeth tightly together, "NO! Grrr, ya'll go on! Ah...ah can do this!"

"We'll get you out of here!" Pound Cake barked, steadily walking along next to Applejack, looking behind him in alarm at the oncoming group of guards and Nightmare Arrows' recovery.

"Hang on, Papyrus!" Blazing Dawn barked at the injured Hoof, who was slipping, "We're almost there!"

"C'mon!" Rainbow Dash yelled at the front door, waving a hoof. Twilight, next to her, gasped in horror, tears filling her eyes, "Here they come!"

Sure enough, an even larger group of corrupt guards were galloping and flying down the road, weapons drawn, being led by Nightmare Armor himself, smirking evilly. To Blazing Dawn's, Applebloom's, and Pound Cake's alarm, the wreckage around Nightmare Arrow exploded and the corrupt Hoof commander rose up, cracking his neck and drawing his sword, glaring at the group as they tried to rush Papyrus inside.

"CUD!" Blazing Dawn swore again, fluttering his wings to get some momentum forward.

"Guys..." Papyrus whispered faintly, surprising everypony who was helping him, "G-go...leave me...I...I can m-manage..."

"NO!" Applejack growled, tears staining her face as the armies of the Nightmare entered the square, "Ah won't leave ya'll behind to be corrupted or killed!"

The legions of guards were bearing down on them. Any minute now, they would be upon them, and it would be too late to put the shield back up.

Twilight and Pinkie Pie leaped down from the steps and repeated the Twilight minigun move from earlier, Pinkie spinning Twilight's tail faster than ever before, and Twilight taking down as much guards as she could as they made their approach. This caught the corrupt guards, Nightmare Arrow, and Nightmare Armor off guard and caused them to take cover behind various wreckage. This gave Rainbow Dash ample time to zip through the air, land next to the group trying to get Papyrus inside, and lend a hoof. They were almost there.

It wasn't long before Nightmare Armor roared, leaped out from behind his cover behind some wreckage of a park bench, and swung his sword at Pinkie and Twilight. Fortunately, the two mares were able to escape inside.

The guards, now free from the magical onslaught of Twilight and Pinkie Pie, now started charging towards the group that was almost inside.

Pound Cake and Rainbow Dash realized they couldn't do any more and fly back inside. Rainbow stopped short, and turned, yelling, "BLAZE! IT'S NO USE! C'MON!"

Blazing Dawn sighed and blinked away a few tears as he struggled to get the wounded Hoof and his heavy armor inside. He knew his mother was right. He looked at Applejack, who nodded, a smile on her face, tears welling in her eyes.

"C'mon, Applebloom!" Blazing Dawn grabbed Applebloom by a forehoof and tugging at her as he took to the air, glancing at the advancing group of guards. "We have to go! Now!"

"NO!" Applebloom tried to break free of Blaze's grip as he pulled her towards Sugar Cube Corner. "NO! Mah sister! AH CAN'T LEAVE HER!"

Applejack stopped, looked up at her sister, and smiled, tears streaming down her face, "Stay safe, ya' hear?"

Those were her last words to her little sister as Pumpkin Cake rose the shield again and Papyrus and Applejack were instantly surrounded by corrupt guards. Everything seemed to go by in slow motion as Blazing Dawn struggled to drag Applebloom inside, and as Rainbow Dash grabbed onto the filly as well and helped her son pull her inside. The last thing Applebloom saw before Pound Cake shut the door was Applejack's trademark cowpony hat getting flung out of the group of corrupt guards.

"NOOOO! No no no!" Applebloom, now realizing she couldn't save her sister, turned and buried her face into Blazing Dawn's chest, who, in turn, fell down from exhaustion from the fight and from helping Applejack. Lyra, the town harpist who had survived, and Mr. Cake immediately rushed up with water for the tired colt, who was flushed a dark red.

Applebloom was still crying, shaking her head as her tears stained Blazing Dawn's dark blue fur.

Twilight walked up beside Rainbow Dash and sighed, shaking her head at the sight and broke down and started crying herself at the loss of her brother. Fluttershy broke down and started crying at Shadow Breeze's sacrifice, and Pinkie offered her comfort. Sweetie Belle stood in a corner, shivering from everything that had transpired. Rainbow, in turn, walked to the window and looked outside.

Nightmare Armor stood outside the shield, a smirk on his face, staring at Rainbow Dash. He put a hoof up on the shield as he was flanked by the newly corrupted ponies who had fallen. Tears came to Rainbow's eyes herself when she saw Nightmare Jack, Nightmare Rarity, and Nightmare Spike arrive, their eyes serpentine and wings and horns on their bodies. She was even more alarmed to see Nightmare Arrow arrive brandishing a sword along with Nightmare Papyrus, grinning evilly. Nightmare Breeze showed up, too, grinning evilly like the rest of them. Rainbow turned to make sure Fluttershy wasn't looking.

Suddenly, Nightmare Armor spoke up, "YOU CANNOT RUN FOREVER, LOYALTY! ONE BY ONE, YOUR FRIENDS SHALL FALL, AND THERE WILL BE NO PONY LEFT TO HIDE YOU! BWAHAHA!"

All the corrupt ponies in the square started laughing with Nightmare Armor. Rainbow couldn't take it anymore. She growled, slammed the window shutters shut, and trotted over to her son, who was chugging the glass of water Lyra had given him.

She kneeled down next to him and heaved a heavy sigh, holding back the tears. She nuzzled her son lovingly before looking up at the clock the Cakes had in their restaurant.

It read three in the morning.

Unknown to the Element of Loyalty, the nightmare had just begun.


OCs:

Blue Arrow, Papyrus, and the Red Hooves (c) QTXAdsy

Shadow Breeze (c) AnonJ17