• Published 18th Sep 2014
  • 20,535 Views, 1,317 Comments

Diplomacy for the Strong - Wages of Sin



Through a miscommunication between herself and her mentor, Twilight accidentally starts a war with the Griffon Empire. Well, maybe calling it a "war" is too generous...

  • ...
52
 1,317
 20,535

Chapter 8

Twilight was content in the wonderful state of blissful not-quite-awake-yet-still-somewhat-aware. Mind empty, she simply enjoyed the wonderful comforts of a real bed that she had not enjoyed since... since leaving Equestria.

And like that it was over and she was back in the world of the living, she jumped up, memory flooding back, reminding her of her unexpected talk with the dragon Centraga and his parting words.

Her body froze as her mind raced.

He was going to inform the elder council! and she didn't get to explain ANYTHING to him!

While it was true that every grown dragon largely lived their life independently, residing wherever they could and owing no allegiance to any nation, there was still what could be regarded as a leading body to the Dragons.

The elder council was not a dragon government per-se, but rather it was a group of the oldest dragons that had taken it upon themselves to keep dragon affairs in order. Since dragon affairs typically occurred wherever there were dragons though, their application of dragon affairs effectively meant world affairs.

They would keep upstart dragons from causing problems, enforce the ancient dragon laws ensuring no adult dragons join sides in non-dragon conflicts, and generally keep world power in check.

Which in this case was the problem.

They had no real legal power, they were just effectively a group of old dragons that got together to make decisions; any decisions made being enforced by the council members themselves.

They may not have technically had political power, and they barely ever actually convened to make any decisions, but when they did, any resolution they made was quickly heeded by any nation, no matter how belligerent.

Some historians would periodically question why, for example, a minotaur warlord would listen to a group of incredibly old dragons on the other side of the planet, but anyone aware of dragon physiology would be quick to tell them just why: dragons can live forever.

They are not truly immortal as they can be killed, and typically are by some incident or another within their first few hundred to thousand years of life. Those that do not though become practically immortal by virtue of dragon nature, namely that a dragon never stops growing.

In their first few decades after hatching it is not uncommon for a young dragon to more than double in size every decade. After that their growth progressively slows but never stops, ever. Even once they have reached the age where they are only growing a few centimeters per year; a few centimeters per year translates into tens per decade, and meters per century. The fact that Celestia had mentioned visiting with dragons who were ancient in her childhood put no real limit on the scope of dragon growth.

Though they are not unable to die, a dragon of the age where his scales are thicker than a spear is long has little to fear in the world, short of madness.

She had not been bluffing when she had indicated that if the war had gotten too far out of the ponies’ hooves that the dragons would step in to stop the griffons and reaffirm the status quo. That said, the tables had now been turned. In the eyes of the council it would look like the Ponies had taken the griffons by force, regardless of who had started the conflict.

What would they do though? That was the real issue.

They could just decide to come and force her to leave. That wouldn't be so bad, she thought, Though the potential for an outbreak of conflict in the power vacuum would still need a solution. At least then she would have a few dragons with thousands of years of experience to rely on for a solution.

...assuming they would care. a dark part of her mind added.

It was true, as long as the issue didn't threaten Dragons as a whole, or put too much power in one race's hooves, the dragons were thankfully, or rather notoriously, claws-off. They would not take action about a griffon internal-affair until... until the circumstances put too much power in some other nation's hooves.

But what then? Without the griffons as a check, what would they do? The question came full circle. What would they do now that they thought the ponies had claimed the Empire?

Twilight's bed-mane had been slowly morphing into frayed madness as her assessment of the situation went on, sharply traveling into full smarty-pants as her mind proposed other possible outcomes.

They could attack Equestria and try to take Celestia or Luna hostage to force an exchange. Or they could come right here and take her hostage. Or both! Who would lead and protect Equestria? Could Cadence handle leading both the Crystal Empire and Equestria at the same time, even for a little while? Who would care for Spike? He could handle himself, but who would be there to love him and make sure he didn't eat too many rubies before bed?

She would not let Spike grow up without her.

The thought gave her chills, an itch rising in her horn and a pressure in her head.

They would care for him right? One of their own? Would they even consider him as such, given his pony upbringing? Would they...

Thoughts of worse and worse conditions played out before her downward spiral was stopped by a staunch realization.

Come what may, NOTHING was going to keep her from caring for Spike. She swore it to the creator and all that she created, NOTHING, no force, no magic, nor the creator herself would take him from her, or her from him.

That was a solemn vow.

The pressure in her head and itch in her horn turned cold and at the same time hot, it was as if she was being doused in ice water at the same time she was experiencing a magical burn out. It didn't hurt, and she really didn't care.

Her vow was all that mattered. Spike was all that mattered.

She pounded her hoof down in absolute resolve to the sound of a deep boom.

With the clarity of purpose only granted to those with a pure goal of the heart, her mind began to clear.

Faintly, she began to recognize the sound of faint sobbing.

Twilight's unfocused eyes attempted to glance around what she now realized was a totally unfamiliar room.

Again she heard.... crying?

Suddenly alert again, she looked down past the foot of the bed towards the source of the disturbance.

There she found no less than a dozen griffons, most of whom were clawing at the door to escape, or hiding under their wings.

Twilight wondered why they were in such a state until she realized that her eyes were glowing, and that she was channeling a large portion of her alicorn power. She even felt a little... actually, now that she was thinking about it, very drained.

She briefly wondered if something about that would explain what she had "hit" because she was pretty sure the soft downy blankets of her bed were not capable of the resonance of whatever she had impacted.

She looked around, finding nothing and no bits of anything either. Maybe it was just her imagination.

She was most certainly not going to dismiss whatever had just happened, but it could wait for a bit. At least until her current situation could be explained.

Of the griffons before her, more peculiar than their actions was their dress. Each wore a frilly black and white skirted dress and apron that looked suspiciously like Prench Maid outfits.

Which would actually make sense if they were- oh goodness they are!

Maids! And maids meant non-supplicant griffons! And that meant...

Twilight leapt off the bed, running to the window and throwing open the blinds.

Outside was chaos.

Not the bugbear-attack/ Discord has turned the streets to soap kind of chaos, but rather the kind of bustle that the City had been eerily missing since her arrival.

Griffons crowded both the streets and the air, looking like Canterlot the last time Cloudsdale had been within flight distance.

The population had returned! -or was at least in the process of returning!

Looking to the sky she found Celestia's charge high in the sky.

"I was beginning to think you would sleep the day away." A familiar voice called from behind her. She turned to find the former Empress walking in amongst the maids, most of whom were taking the opportunity to cower behind her or bolt out the now open door, "And I'd ask what you did to scare your staff so bad, but I've seen your majesty in action." She chuckled.

Twilight was not so jovial, racing up to the griffoness, "Why didn't you wake me up! It must be after noon! I've missed so much time I could have been-!"

"Been what?" She asked, nodding to and waving off the maids who gathered behind her, "There are no pressing issues at the moment. The journey is a two day trek through the mountains given current conditions, so we have until tomorrow for the army to return, there is no telling when the dragons will take action, if they ever will, the minotaurs have been oddly reserved lately, and I doubt Equestria's going to be doing much, so unless a pressing issue arises you have every right to sleep in. Remember, the staff have returned, including the high generals, so there isn't much that you need be troubled with. Speaking of the generals, it would probably be good to introduce you. Would you like to do that after your breakfast? Or lunch if you prefer?"

Twilight thought a moment. "Got any of that soup left?"

"I'm sorry your majesty, but I'm sure the chefs can prepare something for you in a hurry." She said with a bow, "Would you like me to go... have someone tell them to make you something?"

Twilight arched a brow at the odd phrasing of the question, but didn't ask.

"No, I'll go. I need to get acquainted with them eventually. One thing that I've learned from having others prepare my meals my whole life is that you should always be on good terms with the cook."

Twilight was going to finish the statement with a smirk, but it was lost as the statement made the griffoness look like she was about to run away.

"Are you alright?"

"Oh- uh... yes, um..." *Guuuuurgle* The voracious sound of Twilight's days-unfed stomach interrupted the griffoness’s ramblings, shaking her to awareness. "Oh, right, ah... ok then, better sooner than later..."

With that the griffoness turned, marching out the door, a concerned alicorn close behind.

Twilight opened her mouth a few times to ask about the griffoness’s sudden odd behavior and stiff movements.

When she finally built up the initiative to add voice to her miming, all she could produce was an awkward, "Are you alright?"

The griffoness jumped a little at the sudden question, turning with wide eyes, as if remembering the alicorn's presence, "I'm sorry your majesty! I apologize for how I am acting. I shall stop at once."

Seeing that there was still clearly something wrong, but not wanting to press or darken the mood, Twilight tried the opposite, chuckling softly. At the griffon's questioning look, Twilight waved a hoof, "I'm, sorry, I'm just not used to being called that yet. 'Your majesty' has always meant the pri- I mean, Princess Celestia." Twilight sheepishly explained.

"Oh? How did they refer to you back in Equestria then?" The griffoness asked curiously.

"Uh... Twilight mostly?" She shrugged, "The only ponies who referred to me by title were the guardponies at Canterlot castle. Though speaking of names, I just realized that I'm not uh... familiar with yours?"

The griffoness paused and then laughed herself.

"Pardon me Empress," she said backing up and making a show of bowing, her impressive wings extended outwards and down, "I, your humble servant, have not rank nor name, land nor wealth, existing by your mercy to serve you till waste take my body to join my life. This one accepts whatever name you give her, so please you, your majesty."

The speech was given as if rehearsed, and Twilight could tell the griffon before her was not too concerned as she spoke, but that did not mean that she herself knew how to react.

"That's... uh..." Twilight said awkwardly, as the griffoness rose and they resumed walking.

"So then... your name is, or was?" She asked again, deciding to generally ignore what had just happened.

"I was once Sypher Raised, or Sypher of Clan Raised."

"Clan Raised?" Twilight asked, genuinely interested, but also wanting to push a new topic.

"I am- er- was of high berth within the respected clan of Raised, so rather than simply take my husband's, the names would traditionally be hyphenated to show the union of our clans, but we decided against it."

"Ah~, ok, well then, Sypher, thank you for your aid thus far, and I look forward to working with you for the duration of my 'reign'."

"I could only hope to live so long." Sypher laughed.

Twilight wanted to retort, but then thought better of it.

"No reason to start that all again."

As they traveled the halls, Twilight noticed the unfamiliar path they took.

"You'll be dining in the royal banquet hall this time, rather than the private suite." She explained as they neared their destination, "I have no doubt the chefs will be... Well, let's just say they will be eager to prove themselves."

Twilight felt there was something to that statement that should have made her uneasy, but she dismissed it, not wanting to push too hard.

They continued on in awkward silence until a particularly utilitarian set of doors became visible.

As they neared to their destination, the sounds of voices could be heard.

"-the difference between a pineapple and your primaries! I don't care what you were told, this kitchen will only prepare-" The shouting griffon stopped as the door opened, admitting the royal and her entourage.

Twilight looked around the room, revealing not a dining hall, but a kitchen full of chef-hat adorned griffons.

The room itself was much more like what Twilight had anticipated yesterday, resembling closely the large cook-hall of Canterlot castle, only rather than stuffed with ponies, the occasional sheep or cow, and the one griffon kept on retainer, this one was populated with only griffons.

Griffons that were all staring at her, at least the ones who weren't glaring death at the griffon beside her.

"You!" The same voice as before shouted.

Twilight looked to her right to find a griffon in a blood red chef's cap charging up to them with a knife.

On reflex she was about to shoot him with a stun spell, but stopped when a bump from a rear-paw brushed her back leg.

The griffoness, who was his target, it was now apparent, turned to meet him.

"What are you thinking? Bringing her here! And what's this nonsense about warming up-"

"I was thinking," the griffoness interrupted, clearly trying to put up a strong front, but noticeably failing, "that you are making a terrible first impression on your new Empress."

Despite his shortly continued glare, his eyes did wander before widening as if realizing for the first time there was an alicorn in the room. In an instant the loud griffon's personality did a one-eighty, coughing into the crook of his non-knife wielding talon as he turned fully to face the alicorn.

"Your majesty," he said smoothly, going into a bow "I offer you my sincerest apologies, had I known this" he spat with venom, glaring at the griffoness, "had intended to drag you through our kitchens, I would at least have cleaned up some of the mess. In fact..." Twilight looked around surprised, finding none of the mess in question. In fact the place was spotless, achieving the stunning prestige of Canterlot Castle. It made sense though, just as in Canterlot, it's unacceptable (and honestly difficult) to track dirt when you walk on the limbs you prep food with. She had somewhat expected it to be different, but the same rules of non-flight also appeared to be in play. No griffon wanted a face full of stove fire because some griffon on the other side of the stove didn't want to keep his wings closed.

Actually, upon closer inspection, the kitchen seemed incredibly similar to the one in Canterlot, unmercifully so, at least until the refrigeration was considered. In Canterlot, the few ice-chests kept for preserved out-of-season vegetables were stowed off to the side. Here she saw none, or rather, she may have, if her suspicions of the huge grey-silver door on one end of the room were correct.

"...your majesty?"

Twilight's eyes darted back to the griffon still before her. Apparently he had said something while she was examining the room, something apparently requiring a response.

"Oh, eh..." she gave a nervous chuckle.

The griffon continued to stare at her, unmoved, but apparently waiting for an answer.

"Yes?" She asked to mean "repeat that please?"

She could tell that was not how it was taken though, as a sudden tension filled the air and the griffoness beside her cowered into her side. Twilight's eyes widened as the chief raised his knife towards the one beside her.

"Woah!" Twilight said, yanking the knife from the griffon with magic.

"I'm sorry your majesty," he said, sounding sincerely apologetic and a little confused "would you prefer I do it by claw?"

"No!" She shouted, throwing a wing around the griffoness and teleporting past the griffon, knife still floating beside them, "We're just passing through!" She shouted emphatically, shoving past those who failed to give wide enough birth.

The pony and griffon pushed through the far-side doors at just shy of a sprint. On the other side was a grand hall with an enormous table, but Twilight was a little pre-occupied to examine more than that.

She shot a sealing charm at the doors behind them before letting out a sharp breath.

"What was THAT? I zoned out for like a second!" She shouted to the griffoness, hoof pointing to the door that sealed them from apparently mad griffon.

"The head chef is... He thought I deserved punishment." She replied quietly, a claw to her chest in a calming manner, "Whether he only meant to scare me or not, he asked your permission to clip my wings."

She knew of the practice, or at least stories of it from the most Draconian of pre-unification Pegasi tribes. Much like the horn cutting of Unicorns or the partial laming of Earth Ponies, the practice was a horrific dark stain on a history thankfully long past. Even back then it was reserved for only the most heinous of criminals or "traitors to one's tribe". A denial of one’s right to remain one with their tribe, a removal of what made them part of the old isolationist pony societies. In effect it was a protracted death sentence.

"WHAT?" Twilight screamed, bile rising in her throat, "W-WHAT?" She shouted again, unable to articulate beyond her disgusted apprehension.

"I'm sorry I did not warn you. I anticipated such threats from him. He in particular is a believer in the old ways of the Empire. I have no doubt that he blames the Empire's loss on our non-adherence to the more traditional ways of doing things."

"Is he insane!?! Would he have seriously...?" She gagged, leaving left the revolting thought unspoken.

"You must remember, to his eyes and the eyes of the law, it would not have been a crime. Legally, I have no rights, even to my body or life. If you killed me, it would not be a crime, and most wouldn't even bat an eye. He, in particular, would probably prefer it. I do not know if he had actually personally intended to have gone so far, but certainly if you commanded it.”

Twilight blanched further at the knowledge that he at least could have carried out his threat.

Before her, the griffoness deeply bowed, “I must apologize,” she said, "I had somewhat expected something to happen. I didn't expect it to be so... rather, I did not expect for you to see the worst of griffon... traditionalism. I should have said something. I am sorry."

Twilight was taken aback, not quite sure how to feel. Eventually she released a tense breath, allowing herself to relax a little, if still on edge.

“It’s fine... Well, no, it’s not fine. Never put yourself at risk like that again, especially if you knew that something could happen. Like I told you before, if your lives belong to me, I want you to respect them and protect them.” she said it firmly, leaving no room to argue, not that the griffoness would. The alicorn let out a breath, “That said, it may be best that I saw this, it’s better that I see the worst now, rather than be ignorant and make mistakes later.” She forced an unconvincing smile, “Is there anything else I should be made aware of? I don’t want to find out the hard way tha-” She was halted by the door beside her opening, narrowly missing her as she teleported away.

In a flash she was between the door and the former empress fully tensed, head low, and horn pointed at the door, "GET BACK!"

The maids from before that had begun to enter the room piled over each other to flee.

In seconds the door was closed again, and no doubt the griffons were on the other side of the castle hiding under their beds.

Twilight jumped and wheeled her still primed horn as a claw was laid on her back.

"Calm down." The griffoness shushed, adjusting to lay a wing over the excited mare, "They mean no harm."

“Sorry, I’m still just a little on edge...” Twilight apologized.

Glancing at the door to get her mind on other things, Twilight shot a confused look to the griffon attempting to sooth her, "Wait, why do the maids not have a problem with you? I get that the head chef is a particular case, but if things are really so bad, why do they seem to have no issues with you?"

"Because I was able to explain the situation to them. Of all the castle staff, the maids are almost always the best informed. It comes with the territory."

"Wait," Twilight said, raising a hoof, "'Of all the castle staff?' Just how many griffons work in the palace?"

"As you are aware, my empress, the capitol population has now returned, and with them have come the castle staff and imperial entourage. Not counting the generals or any of those who live outside the walls and commute in for their work, there are the servants and maids, attendants and scribes, litter carriers, entertainment, some grounds and sky keepers, the imperial knight unit, and to a lesser extent some others."

Twilight's hoof lowered, "That's a lot of, wait... You said 'entertainment'? What does that entail?"

"Well, most do not live within the palace, such as the patroned artists and musicians, but there are a few instructors and I suppose your harem also qualifies."

"Harem!" Twilight sputtered, "What! Why! How! Why!"

The griffoness stared for a moment, as if unable to understand the alicorn's apprehension, a second later a sly smile crossed her beak.

“Oh!" She yelped, as if suddenly realizing something, "I just thought of a solution to a lot of our problems..." she said, racing to the door, "Get comfortable your majesty, I'll be right back with something to relieve your stress… or rather some griffons..."

By the time Twilight's mind registered, it was already too late and the griffon was gone.

Mental fatigue was already starting to set in, and it was not even the morning meal yet. With a huff, rather than do as her adviser instructed, Twilight stood up tall, square to the door and prepared to dismiss whoever was next to come through, she was stressed, but that did not mean she wanted that kind of relief.

So focused on the door the griffoness had left, Twilight was startled when the door she and the griffoness had entered from began rattling.

Twilight wheeled, dismissing the charm she had put on the door and yanking them open, "Now see here, I do not need a harem, I have quite enough to worry... about..." her words trailed off as she recognized the griffon's white chef hat and the trolley he was pushing, "oh."

To the griffon's credit, he hid his reaction well. None the less, Twilight could feel her face heat up as she realized what she had just said.

"No!" She shouted, "I thought you were part of my harem- the harem! But you're obviously not. -Not that you're not a fine griffon yourself! I meant I'm..."

The griffon gave her a subtly sizing glance before wordlessly continuing to the table, pulling the lid off the cart and placing a bowl at the head seat.

Capitalizing on the event Twilight darted to the seat "Oh! Good! Thanks! I'm starved!"

She shoveled a few mouthfuls of the soup, keeping eye contact with the chef who, seeming satisfied, bowed, turned, and pushed the cart back out.

As soon as the door closed, the napkin from her place setting was wrapped around her muzzle.

"Gah! What is this?"

She had already forced down a few bites for the act, but she would not willingly subject herself to any more now that she was alone. True, she was starving, having only a few bites of... whatever that was yesterday since leaving her camp outside the city. She would eat almost anything at this point, but this was beyond bad.

Examining the bowl before her revealed something clearly not what she had eaten yesterday.

Rather than creamy white, this soup was a murky brown. She poured a little from her spoon, watching it drip down in globs. Whatever it was, it was clearly meant to be this way, with diced carrots, and chunks of...

She actually couldn't place any of the various cubed chunks. Reluctant to bring any of it anywhere near her mouth again, she laid down her spoon and pushed the bowl away, dropping her chin to the table, “It’s going to be another long day, isn’t it?”

It was at this moment, that the door the former empress had fled through opened, and a flock of griffons clad in silks and ornamental chains grouped in.

Momentarily struggling to remember what she had been preparing to say, she was pre-empted by the former empress, once again draped as she had been yesterday, coming before her in a bow, "Your majesty, I have a way to put your mind at ease!"

"No!" Twilight shouted in desperation, suddenly remembering what she had been waiting to say before the fiasco with the chef, "I appreciate the thought, but I’m really not uh… interested… or rather, I don't think I'm in any position to properly utilize or even care for a harem at this time... I...”

The former empress interrupted with a cough as she stepped forward, "I’m sorry, before you continue, maybe it would be best if you first allow me to explain the inner workings of the harem?"

Twilight raised her hooves waving them crosswise, "No! I mean, no thanks! Really, I do not really want to know!"

"No, your majesty, it will really help you-"

"I really don't think-"

"It will relieve a lot of stress if-"

"I'm telling you I don't-"

"Let me explain how they can help-"

"I do not want their help-"

"But they are really good-"

"I don't want details!"

Their back and forth was ended as a griffoness screeched so loud that Twilight was startled out if her seat and off the ground. Reining in her flight instincts, she found one of the griffonesses writhing on the ground. For a moment Twilight thought she may have been injured, but rather than pain, the griffoness was roaring in laughter.

"What? What's going on?"

"That's what I'm trying to tell you your majesty. I'm sorry for the confusion, I should have explained before." She gestured to the arrayed griffons, "On the surface, the harem is as you were likely imagining, but that is only on the surface. Unbeknownst to most, members of the Emperor's heremous court fulfill an honored tradition as his confidants and advisors. There is no real physical aspect to it, at least not anymore."

"I'll say," one of the Griffonesses mocked from the back, "if o'l rumplefeathers had tried anything she would have killed him."

"And then probably us!" another stage whispered to those around her, earning an eye roll from the former empress.

"In truth it is an occupation not much different from advisors, though they represent ears to listen and mouths of advice without the political entanglement that comes with a ranked and appointed role. They exist outside the system, only serving as unbiased advisors, rather than the generals and those who are relegated to their own tasks. They are well-educated, trustworthy, and discreet members of the Imperial order. It should also be mentioned that they are also protected by the authority of the Emperor."

"That is why I dressed as I did yesterday, as few would violate the veil," she said, running her silken adornments through her talons, "even if they didn't understand the situation." She said before turning to the cloth draped around her back, "Well, that, and I wanted to see if it still fit. I haven't gotten to wear it since I married."

"Wait," Twilight said, rolling a hoof in the air, "You were in the Emperor's harem before you married him?"

"Yes, it is very common for a wife to be selected from the harem, though not a rule." She answered matter-of-factly.

"We are the most eligible bachelorettes after all!" One of the griffonesses added, making a suggestive pose.

Twilight looked to the group, conspicuously avoiding lingering her gaze on the one posing, "I don't understand. So the harem is... not a harem? It's actually some kind of... secret advisory group?"

"To most, the Emperor's harem is believed to be just that. But secretly, it represents a collection of trusted advisors. At one point in history, the practice of harems was common to powerful and important figures. Even Celestia and Luna were known to have small herds. The practice of harems as advisors though, is a tale traced back quite a while in Imperial history to Emperor Primary III and his delegation to the Minotaurs.

"The story goes that Emperor Primary III was not the most intelligent of leaders due to a youth as a war orphan during a time without services to care for him. He did not have a formal education, and was reportedly illiterate, but what he lacked in education, he made up for with being clever. After taking power during an uneasy peace with the Minotaurs that had lasted since his predecessor's conflict, the very conflict that orphaned him, Primary III was unexpectedly invited to the Minotaur King's palace for negotiations.

"Seeking a more steady peace, he agreed, setting off with a large party of guards and various other staff.

"Upon arriving, he was invited to the court hall to meet the King.

"As it turns out, the Minotaur King had secretly discovered the Emperor's lack of education and illiteracy, and had planned take advantage of him.

"Upon reaching the hall, the Emperor was immediately swarmed with gift-givers and was led to the king who welcomed him with open arms.

"The Minotaurs, whose culture had firm gender roles, and backed by some of the emperors subtle hints, disregarded the harem, seeing only a collection of breeders, and allowed him to take them with him into his chambers.

"As the Minotaurs expected, the Emperor would have been dismayed, and would have had no choice but to agree, but he had suspected such treachery beforehand, and rather than bring an actual harem, he had collected as many high-ranking and therefore well-educated females as he could; politicians wives, notable public servants, even a general who had been made privy to his plan and volunteered herself, all with his vow not to touch them.

"Now in his chambers they all helped him to rework the treaty.

"The next day, the Minotaur king did not even bother to read the reworked treaty before signing it.

"Only later did he realize his mistake, and by then he was forced to comply with it out of pride. That is one of the reasons the Minotaurs have disliked the Empire since.

"Though eventually the rules changed somewhat, including that only the unmarried could join the harem, for obvious reasons, the practice persists to this day."

Absent mindedly Twilight raised her hoof, "If one who is already married cannot join the harem, then why can you join it again? I'm pretty sure you are married."

The Empress laughed, "Technically correct, but widows may join," she said with a sly smile, "and it just so happens that my husband is technically dead, so I'm just taking some liberties in skirting the rule. I also have an ace, should it come to it." She said with an intensification of her smile that made Twilight's skin crawl.

"What is it? Do I want to know?"

Her smile grew, "Oh, nothing much, just the fact that I took the liberty of planning the addition of another member of your harem. One more suited to the harem of our new Empress."

She kept eye contact, looking for recognition, but when after a second she found none, she shrugged, "You can come in now dear."

Shock, fear, and a host of other emotions crossed Twilight's face as it dawned on her.

The dumbfounded mare's mind grew only more chaotic as the doors opened and the emperor marched in as if in a parade formation, no emotion on his stiff features as his silk-wrapped and veiled form moved into the room, reaching a point and standing stoically.

Twilight didn't- couldn't make a sound, but the others had no such problems, a few sending wolf whistles, which were firmly ignored by the large griffon.

It took a while, and a few false starts, before Twilight's mind re-booted, "P-please tell me you're kidding."

The former empress laughed after a second of letting the alicorn sweat, “Only a little bit."

The other griffonesses quickly dismantled the Emperor's adornments, leaving a bare griffon behind.

"With your permission, I would like to have him added to your harem along with myself, at least on paper."

Calming down a fraction, Twilight returned enough coherence to ask, "Why?"

"I recognize it may be presumptuous of me, but I ask this because it offers us a little more safety. Despite what I said initially, being a ghost is truly a position where our lives are forfeit. Seeing how you reacted to the Chef's threat against me, I assumed it would ease your mind somewhat if we were to at least complicate acting against us. Hopefully dissuading any such attempts again. Furthermore, it allows us a way to act as your advisors through the harem practice, without it appearing that we, the unfit, have your ear...”

Twilight silently processed what the griffoness said, coming to a conclusion with a nod, "Alright, I guess what you said makes sense. I reluctantly accept you into my... harem."

A cheer went up amongst the other griffonesses, with some coming up to pat the former empress on the back in congratulations.

"Now that leaves only two issues before you can meet with the Generals." She said, falling back into her advisor voice, "First is food" she looked over to the table to see the pushed aside bowl, "or did you already eat?"

Twilight gagged, "No, I can't say that I've eaten."

The griffoness raised a brow to the answer, but carried on nonetheless, "Well, then we can either ask the kitchens for something else," Twilight grimaced at the suggestion, "or we could have something brought in from outside. Sample some local cuisine perhaps? Or perhaps you have a request?"

"As long as it's not that," she said, pointing a hoof to the offending bowl, "I'll take just about anything at this point."

"Fantastic, we'll be back by the time you are done with the second issue."

"Second issue?"

"Of course your majesty! It wouldn't do for our Empress to appear before others of merit in such a state!"

Twilight somewhat wanted to be offended, but her confusion won out, "What do you mean?"

"You didn't have showers in your camp correct?"

Twilight looked down at herself, about to respond before it clicked and her eyes shot to the griffoness. It was too late though, as she was already being herded away by the harem to the laughter of the former Empress.


One unpleasantly intimate bath with a pack of wet bird-cats later and Twilight was all too enthusiastic about getting to the meeting, or anywhere at all that didn't have overzealous claws trying to find out this new thing called 'pony' as if they had never seen one up close.

...which now that she thought about it, they may never have.

Despite the issues of personal space, she had to admit the post-bath preening was enjoyable. There was just something about opposable digits that improved the experience over hoof, mouth, or magic.

She inspected her wing tip, never before could she remember her feathers being so even, not even when she had first attempted with her rulers and combination square.

"If only I could take them with me..."

Apprehension and hot shame flooded her as she realized what she had just thought to herself. Hastily returning her wing to her side, she bit into her scone, savoring the uncharacteristically intense flavor.

"Liked it that much did you?" The griffoness laughed as they walked side by side down the hall, her own scone having been consumed long ago in one bite "They are talented, aren't they?"

Twilight blushed, "Yes, honestly it was the best preening I've ever had... It's just..." she trailed off, "Maids? Chefs? A harem? I can't say I'm not used to castle staff, but are they all going to be so...?" She trailed off, letting the words hang "I'm doing my best, but I don't think I can handle too many more 'eager' griffons."

"They all just want to prove themselves to you," she replied, "and stay on your good side." She added, with a laugh.

"Well they are not doing too good a job of that," Twilight grumbled, though her mood was noticeably lighter, "for a bit there I had talons where no pony wants talons."

"I doubt any others will be so intimate with you," Sypher said calmly, before slyly adding, "...unless of course, you want them to be?"

Twilight just shook her head, dismissing the griffon's attempt at humor.

"I'm just trying to get a hold of everything, but every time I think I understand the situation, something else comes by to prove... me... Of course." Her statement ended flatly as the pair rounded another corner, nearly running into the group of maids, who upon seeing the alicorn, turned and ran.

Twilight face-hoofed as the griffoness beside her laughed, "Don't worry, they'll come around eventually. But first!" She opened a door that the maids had been exiting, "It's time you meet your generals!"

Author's Note:

This has been done for a while, but I just keep making increasingly minor changes to it and then still thinking "it's not ready" or "it's still not good enough"... ugh...

That's the kind of thinking that makes stories never update. Well NO MORE! It is done!

Anyway, PSA time:

Griffon names are hard. Please donate names to the name-a-griff foundation that gives names to underprivalaged characters.