• Published 4th Mar 2016
  • 4,158 Views, 194 Comments

Kirsarnia - Urimas Ebonheart



An MMO dungeoneering party arrives in Equestria after a failed dungeon run where the boss pulls them through their monitors upon his victory.

  • ...
11
 194
 4,158

Arc 1 - Chapter 1: Fighting the Boss Discord

Author's Note:

New story idea I had in my head and had to get it out.

This is like a mix between an MMO game and Fairy Tail.

The battle music is not required to play but I find it more immersive myself.

Kirsarnia
Arc 1 - Chapter 1: Fighting the Boss Discord

"Hey guys!" Frank exclaims once all four of his friends join the skype call. Frank’s computer screen is currently sitting idle on the select character menu of his currently favourited MMO game, Kirsarnia.

"Hey, Frank. How you doing man!" Jack replies as both men select their characters and nearly spawn into the map at the same time while the rest of the group logs in.

"Hello, Frank. How are you?" Samantha responds in turn, also appearing in a digital flash of light.

"Decent, decent. How about you Satoshi?" Frank inquires of everyone’s Japanese friend as his character appears in a similar fashion to everyone else.

"I'm doing well thank you, so you guys ready for the new dungeon? I've heard it's supposed to be really hard, we should be able to get there before anyone else does," Satoshi remarks and reminds everyone else in the party.

"I've also heard there's supposed to be two new winged horse mount drops in there: Celeste the Sun Goddess and Selene the Moon Goddess," Laura sighs with wishful thinking.

"Cool, I've seen the leaked images of them; I want the Moon one," Jack decides, looking at images of the mounts on a separate monitor, he then sends the link to the leaks to everyone else in the call.

"I'd like the Celestial one, she looks pretty," Samantha agrees once she opens the link and looks at the pair of creatures. Celeste looks like an horse made of fire with large wings while Selene looks like a night sky with stars and constellations in its body.

"We can discuss this in greater depth once we clear the dungeon, so let's get a move on and wait for the dungeon to open," Frank tells them.

The five friends party up once they've all acquired the necessary gear they’ll need and ride towards the forgotten ruins of the Jaggamond Swamp.

"Alright guys! Let's do this!" Frank announces enthusiastically as the digital barrier closing off the entrance to the dungeon disappears with a pop and a system announcement about the opening. The five players all cheer and enter the ruined-looking dungeon.

Frank, the level 97 Human Guardian using a sword and shield with heavy plate armour.

Jack, the level 96 Jorgan Warrior wielding a two-handed warhammer with chainmail armour.

Laura, the level 97 Human Mage equipped with a staff and top-tiered cloth armour to cast elemental magic.

Samantha, the level 95 Leoness Cleric who uses a spell book foci combined with a talisman and cloth armour to cast holy magic.

Finally, Satoshi the level 96 Elven Archer who uses a longbow with leather armour.

"There's already some of those new mobs ahead, the ones that look like upright dogs made of diamonds..." Jack says, peering closer at his monitor at the enemies before him.

Ahead of the party are seven of the new Gem Hounds, bipedal dog-like creatures made of diamonds and other rare looking gemstones.

"Alright, from the looks of it they’ll most likely have high physical defence so it'll be Laura's and Satoshi's job to deal the most magical damage," Frank commands. "I'll try to keep them on me so I'll need a physical defence buff, Sam, as well as a HP buff," Frank adds, his tactical thinking mind already taking over the party’s future actions.

"Not a problem," Samantha replies firmly and casts the required buffs on Frank.

"Great." Frank smirks as the light surrounding his character dies down to a thin ring of blue and white lights swirling around his feet as he addresses the Warrior of the group. "Keep Sam and Laura safe just in case I lose the aggro, I'll do what I can to keep them on me."

"You got it man, I'll keep the little ladies safe," Jack replies with a smirk as the women in question both sigh at his light poke of humour.

Laura just rolls her eyes and scoffs. "I deal more damage than you, muscle for brains," she argues which just makes Jack stick a lip out to add to his frown.

"Well excuse me, Princess, I still haven't found a decent legendary hammer yet!" Jack retorts crossly.

<)===(> Battle Theme <)===(>

"Okay, okay. Maybe we'll find one here, who knows, but let's get started," Frank orders and immediately takes off at the enemies with his shield charge skill leading to ram into the first three for about 1,400 damage and their aggro before he activates his taunt skill to gain the attention of all seven of the remaining nearby mobs.

Laura begins to spam her fire, lightning, and ice spells at the hounds once they’ve been properly aimed at to deal anywhere between 2,500 to 4,000 magical damage while Samantha gets busy casting regeneration and healing spells on Frank’s positively glowing character, healing him 5,000 to 6,000 HP over the course of ten seconds. In the meantime, Satoshi concentrates on firing various elementally charged arrows at the hounds to deal 3,300 magical damage per shot.

Soon two of the hounds have been slain but one of them breaks away from the Guardian and randomly targets Samantha who yelps and cowers behind Jack’s imposing frame.

"I’ve got it!" Jack grins behind his screen and starts his character’s basic attacks with the warhammer, aiming for the hound and takes the aggro for it. He continues to swing his hammer with a couple flourishes dealing 1,180 basic attack damage before hitting the activation key for his uppercut-swing skill to launch the hound away back towards Frank while dealing 2,490 damage.

Frank, still glowing from the multiple refreshing buffs, reuses his taunt to aggravate the enemy back onto himself before turning back to the others and shield bashes the closest hound to deal 1,490 damage to them. He then plants a banner giving everyone a +25% protection buff within twenty feet of the banner for one minute as insurance.

Satoshi fires an Area of Effect scatter shot to deal 989 damage and cripple the mobs which slows them down by 40% for fifteen seconds. Notching his next arrow, the Archer selects his explosive arrow skill which charges the ammunition in his bow with a light red colour on the tip before releasing the skilled arrow which detonates on impact dealing 2,130 damage to four of the grouped up hounds.

With a smirk, Laura activates her Meteor Storm spell which spawns in a barrage of fireballs dealing 3,780 damage per fireball to the remaining hounds and kills three of them.

Finally, Jack leaps into the air with his cape simulating billowing out behind him and slams his hammer on the ground to issue 1,330 damage included with a knockback effect to blow down the remaining two creatures. Jack quickly crosses the artificial space and begins wailing on one of them while Frank and Laura deal with the other.

<>---<> End Battle Theme <>---<>

Once the system deems the fight over and the area cleared, the party receives their EXP, gold, and a few worthless items via notification screens that appear on their monitors.

"Nice one guys! Let's keep going!" Frank orders enthusiastically and they all continue onward.


Forty-Three Minutes Later


The group arrive at the boss room and just stare at the mismatched creature floating in the air on its back, it looks like it's drinking a cup of chocolate milk and paying the newcomers absolutely no attention.

"The fuck is that thing? Looks like some kind of... animal Frankenstein..." Jack wonders, his head pulling away from the screen to get a better look at the boss.

"Well, whatever it is, that’s the dungeon boss. So how are we doing this?" Satoshi shrugs in his seat as he addresses the party leader.

"I'll take the aggro while Jack attacks from behind. I've heard he summons minions so I want you and Jack to take them out to protect Sam if they do show up. Laura and Satoshi will attack from a distance while Sam focuses on Jack and I." Frank explains after a single moment of thought. There was a reason he’d become the unwritten leader of the party and it was primarily in part for his tactical thinking.

"Cool, let's rock!" Jack remarks and heads in with Frank leading the charge.

<)===(> Boss Battle Theme <)===(>

Frank’s character stops to charge its shield charge skill before sliding across the playing field to surprise the boss and issue 2,340 physical damage. The boss only now notices the five players and snarls at the sudden attack. The human Guardian then taunts the boss making it focus on him with the glass of chocolate milk fizzling away into cyberspace oblivion.

Jack’s character crouches down as one of his few long ranged attacks charges before bursting into the air and slams the ground with his hammer for a total of 2,766 kinetic damage to the boss and generates 10 fury before he uses his warcry which adds another 20 fury and a party buff of +10% damage for thirty seconds. Jack follows up with multiple basic attacks against the boss at 1,587 points of damage and gains 5 points of fury with each successful contact. Once he has enough fury, he cleaves the boss dealing damage and ails the boss with a -15% physical defence debuff before turning to his skull crusher ability which, after a second to charge, sweeps the business end of the hammer up into the air before giving it a powerful yank back down with the head of the massive hammer glowing green, down in a vertical arc on the tail dealing 3,896 damage to the boss.

Laura casts the blue coloured spell which arcs a strike of electricity to the mismatched creature for a initial damage count of 844 and an additional 844 points of damage every second for ten seconds after that, denoted by the tiny electrical shock symbol floating above the boss’s head with the other debuffs provided by everyone else. Laura’s character’s blue glow switches to a white one as she switches to an ice spell and fires three long spears at the creature to encase its legs in ice to slow it down further for -30% over the course of thirty seconds, though no damage is dealt.

Satoshi toggles his magic arrow skill which lets him pull back the bow string and form arrows out of his MP, allowing him to shoot faster than he would drawing a new one from his quiver; it also changes his damage from physical to magical. Each arrow shot now deals 2,360 damage to the boss. Taking quick aim, Satoshi’s character lines up a shotgun arrow skill and let’s fly almost point blank before backing away again having dealt 1,032 damage each arrow, six magic arrows in total. He let's his skills cool off as he relies on basic attacks for the time being.

Samantha is busy casting renewals on Frank and Jack, healing them for 1,100 HP and then 543 HP every second after, she then casts Heaven's Blessing which increases physical and magic defence by +50% for ten seconds on Frank.

Suddenly the unthinkable happens and Frank loses his aggro on the boss who turns around and attacks Jack, snarling viciously.

"Come on, Frank! Keep the aggro on you, man!" Jack demands of his compatriot after taking a beating of 4,322 damage from the new dungeon's boss ‘Discord, the Draconequus of Chaos.’

"I'm trying! Sam, I need healing dammit!" Frank orders Samantha with adrenaline in his voice as Jack gets slammed by the boss's tail taking 2,100 damage and thrown from the fight.

"I am, I am!" she shouts back frantically, her microphone working overtime to reduce the volume of her heightened voice, and casts a Renewal and Greater Healing spell on Frank restoring 6,344 HP. She then heals Jack the same way for 5,236 HP.

"Thanks! Everyone just hold it together, we’ve almost got this beat!" Frank yells back as he shield bashes the boss in the stomach for 1,300 damage and increases his aggro levels followed by a taunt which makes the boss growl at Frank with a glare.

"This new boss is bloody creepy with how it's reacting! It's almost like it's alive!" Satoshi comments surprisingly calmly while back flipping away from the boss' AOE attack.

"Look out! The boss's minions are coming!" Laura warns her fellow party members as little deformed insect-looking horses with fangs, soulless blue eyes, holes in their legs, and dragonfly wings charge at them.

"Oh, they're so gross!" Samantha says, shivering in her desk chair and hides behind Jack while resuming her casting.

"Jack! Protect Sam and Laura!" Satoshi requests of the Warrior and fires an electrified arrow at the boss dealing 3,210 damage.

"Don’t have to remind me!" Jack replies and attacks the minions that are going for Samantha. Utilizing his Whirlwind Strike skill, Jack’s Warrior spins rapidly with his hammer hitting all the minions five times dealing 1,890 damage per hit and gaining their aggro.

Satoshi toggles his Precision skill which slows down his rate of fire but offers a 20% critical chance to a weak point as he takes aim at the boss's head dealing 2,489 damage per shot trying unsuccessfully to find it's weak spot.

Laura casts a powerful Inferno Fireball spell over the course of five seconds and hits the boss in the back dealing 5,873 damage to it, adding a burning debuff for 600 points lasting ten seconds.

The battle continues on as the minions are gradually slain and the boss's HP drops down to nearly half.

The boss then knocks everyone back and grins menacingly. "Erm... guys? Why is he looking at us like that?" Frank asks the others, looking suspiciously worried about what was to follow next.

"I dunno, but I got a bad feeling man," Jack replies, also becoming nervous as indicated by his voice.

Without warning, the boss spews out a torrent of sickly yellow flames from its mouth and engulfs the entire party dealing instantly fatal levels of damage to all present.

<>---<> End Boss Battle Theme <>---<>

"What the hell!" Jack yells and gives a random item on his desk a toss across the room as everyone in the party is slain. "I call bullshit! Fifty-thousand points of damage?" Jack exclaims furiously, throwing the next object readily accessible.

Frank sighs as he removes his headphones and scratches the back of his neck before putting them back on. "Don't worry about it guys, we can just try again," he tells his friends.

"That would be our next logical course of action, but I can't respawn..." Satoshi remarks as he repeatedly clicks the greyed out “respawn” button on the death menu.

"I can't either!" Samantha replies as she too mashes the mouse button, switching to the ‘exit game’ option which is also greyed out “I can’t even get out of the game!”

"Me too," Laura adds semi-calmly as she resists the temptation to button mash or hard-crash her computer.

"Is it just me or is the boss looking at me?" Jack asks, slowly inching back from his computer monitor as the creature’s head begins to get slowly closer and closer.

"No, he's looking at me as well... What the hell is going on?" Frank asks with confusion. "I'm going to try and kill my computer, be right back," Frank tells his friends and tries to manually exit to his desktop, but nothing happens. "Not even Alt+F4 is working..." he notes as his finger hovers above the power button of his computer tower to crash it.

"Same for me and this is really starting to freak me out! Erm, the boss guy is reaching out to-. AAAAHHH!" Samantha screams in terror as a lion-like arm reaches out of her monitor and pulls her in by the collar of her pyjama shirt.

"Sam!? Sam are you alright!?" Jack demands, his fists hitting the desktop in confusion and rage.

The sound of someone dropping out of the skype call lets the others know that their friend has become otherwise unavailable.

"What the hell happened to Sam? OH MY FUCKING GO-" Jack demands before he too let's out a shriek as the arm takes hold of his buttoned shirt and drags him against his will into the rippling monitor. Again, the unmistakable sound of someone dropping out of the call lets the others know he's gone.

"Jack!" Laura yells. "Frank? Satoshi! What's happening?" the only remaining woman demands as her voice rises and quivers in fear.

"I don't know... oh no, he's reaching out to me now," Satoshi replies hurriedly and starts cursing in Japanese before he drops out of the skype call.

"Satoshi? Frank, I'm scared!" Laura tells Frank, already on the verge of tears.

"I..." Frank starts to say but goes silent as he doesn't know what to do nor what to say to comfort the girl. It would have been pointless anyways as Laura screams as she's pulled through next.

Frank just stares at the monitor as the skype call hangs up, his body frozen with confusion while his mind wracks itself looking for answers; none of which seem possible.

He then sees the previously mentioned lion paw reach out to him, but he reaches out with a frown once the paw is through and grips the paw's wrist and tries to pull it out instead, mostly surprised that he’s able to even touch a digital item. The boss gives a light chuckle in reply as the paw wraps around Frank's wrist and yanks him through with a surprisingly tremendous amount of strength.

"God-fucking-dammit!" Is the last thing Frank’s roommates heard before the tactician’s vision is filled with static.