• Published 20th Dec 2014
  • 1,113 Views, 192 Comments

Dragons of Hourglass - Rammy



Spike has chosen but now the task of bringing the dragons into harmony must begin and the return of dragon clans seems like a good start

  • ...
18
 192
 1,113

PreviousChapters Next
The Choosing

Golden DragonHeart dropped the book he was reading. He could somehow feel that something drastic was happening to the clan. Secondclaw? Was the only thing he could think of. The feeling he had left, and he momentary thought of picking up the book again. Maybe it was just that rainbow gem I had for breakfast.

The feeling return again this time stronger. “The secondclaw?” This time he wondered out loud. When it didn’t fade away his bewilderment turned to excitement. “The secondclaw has been found!”

He stumbled on his gem bed trying get frantically so he could find the Secondclaw. His vision suddenly went white. “What the!?” He cried out. Slowly his vision came back to him and he saw that he was not only no longer in his library but also not in Hourglass. Golden DragonHeart looked around to see a void filled with star-like lights. It was the Plane of Harmony. “How did I get here!?!”

“Sorry.” Harmony apologized as he stepped out of nothing. “That would be my fault.”

“He of Harmony, what is the meaning… I…” He of Hourglass trailed off when he noticed that a young dragon shimmered in next to Harmony. A dragon he had never seen before. Rainbow horns? That has to be unique among dragons. And speaking of horns those horns are just like Twixt’d’s twisted horn… atypical… where did he find this dragon? And for that matter how does He of Harmony keep running into dragons in the way he does? Sure, as a keeper it would make sense that he would attract odd company, but he’s the Alicorn Keeper not the Dragon Keeper… “Hello Dragon of White Scales and Rainbow Horns…”

The dragon apparently was not thrilled about being called Dragon of White Scales and Rainbow Horns as he growled angrily at He of Hourglass. He of Hourglass was taken aback but readied to defend himself. He knew the code; he was being proper in the way he addressed the dragon. He studied the dragon a bit more to get a better idea of what he was up against. The eyes caught his attention. They were eyes of only a semi sentient creature. This dragon is feral!? Why would He of Harmony risk bringing a dragon in that state here? The Harmony Council, maybe, but he should have notified me first as I would have preferred to do this in Hourglass.

“Calm down…” Harmony put a reassuring hoof on the snarling dragons shoulder. “He is your Firstclaw after all.”

“Huh?” He of Hourglass scratched his head in confusion. “He of Harmony, I know all of the dragons in the clan, and he is not one of them. I don’t like the fact you are being that presumptuous that I would allow him in.”

Harmony put a hoof in front of the now furious white dragon. A small plume of white fire leaked out of his maw. Harmony grumbled as he stepped between them and mouthed ‘patience.’ The dragon slowly released his rage as he fully trusted Harmony. Harmony returned his gaze to He of Hourglass who was becoming very annoyed at what he perceived to be a massive breach of not only Dragon Code but Keeper protocols. “Why don’t we wait until the others have arrived, shall we?”

“He of Harmony…” He of Hourglass growled out a warning.

Harmony shut He of Hourglass snout with his rainbow aura. He of Hourglass was now livid and was about to put Harmony in his place when a series of flashes interrupted his train of thought.

“Good, everydragon is here that needs to be here.” Harmony noted, seeing the entire Hourglass clan now gathered. All of them in states of confusion except for He of Music who was drooling slightly at wonderful perfect song of the plane overpowering his sense of decorum a bit.

“ENOUGH!” He of Hourglass roared, snapping the Harmony’s aura like dry twigs. “He of Harmony what is…”

“You are here for the Choosing of your Secondclaw.”

This completely deflated He of Hourglass. He wasn’t expecting that response at all and it took a few minutes before his brain started up enough for him to respond. “I never told you…”

“That Quartermaster was never your Secondclaw? Yeah, I figured that one out when I found out how old this one was.”

How could this be?! None of it was making any sense to He of Hourglass. First, the secondclaw is not Quartermaster but a different dragon. Quartermaster was the first dragon he met after his choosing so he couldn’t see how it could have happened. The secondclaw is ‘found’ by Harmony, and it supposedly is a feral dragon?!? The dragon needed help, that was for sure as a feral dragon were barely able to function as sentient...if at all. Similar to a rage dragon but without the rage...luckily. A feral dragon could explain the reason nodragon knew the name of the secondclaw...

“He is your secondclaw.” Harmony reiterated,interrupting He of Hourglass’ inner debate. “If you don’t believe look harder, and if you need further convincing... He of Music could probably tell you if he is a member of the clan. As I wouldn't be surprised if there is clan soul song melody.”

Everyone looked at He of Music who shrunk back a bit at the attention. “He’s right Firstclaw. I don’t know how he knows, but he is right… the Hourglass Clan has a melody.”

He of Music slowly tried to approached the dragon but the dragon only growled and backed up.
He of Music rubbed his chin in thought. How do I approach him if he keep growling… He snapped a claw when he got an idea.

He began humming softly. The effect the soul song was immediate as the white dragon stopped growling in his curiosity. He of Music kept humming as he again tried to get close to the dragon. He let his humming slowly fade away once he was close enough to listen. For a split second He of Music was worried that the dragon would become aggressive again but all he heard was the white dragon rumbling in contentment.

He of Music blinked and pushed his ear onto the dragon. He was like that for a long time before he backed away. “I don’t understand…” The look of concern on his face worried everyone but Harmony. “He was no song, at least one that I can hear, with an exception. The clan’s melody.”

Every dragon started talking and arguing at once. The revelation that the dragons song indicating that the dragon was a member of the clan was too much. Harmony rolled his eyes, everything had gone sideways. He could see that He of Hourglass was beyond annoyed now both at the situation and at the clan.

“ENOUGH!” He of Hourglass roared, silencing the entire clan. “I’m sorry He of Harmony I… This is not making sense…” He rubbed his head, trying to calm his racing head.

“Stop.” Harmony ordered. “There is nothing to forgive brother. I can understand the confusion. Trust me, you aren’t the only one that has had to deal with that today.” The white dragon must have thought it was amusing because he started laughing or he seemed to be laughing. That was at least what Harmony thought. The sound that the dragon was making sounded like a cross between grunting and a throaty rumble.

Harmony walk up right behind He of Hourglass and gave him a friendly nudge. “Go on... Look dragon to dragon and what I have said will become clear.”

He of Hourglass carefully stepped towards the white dragon noticed the movement and stopped laughing and began snarling again. Harmony nodded for him to keep going when He of Hourglass glanced back. Still with hesitation he continued to approach the dragon. After a tense minute they were within inches of each other. The two dragons, He of Hourglass gazing down while the white dragon looking up, locked their eyes together.

The white dragon saw the inner fire of He of Hourglass and it was similar to Harmony’s. It was more than that. This bipedal dragon was Harmony’s brother. That was all it took for him to feel that he could trust the purple and green dragon.

He of Hourglass could see the inner fire of the white dragon and it was strange it almost seemed… He nearly lost the eye lock in his shock. This dragon was his secondclaw. His missing brother and clanmate. He didn’t know how but his heart knew and that was all he need to know to know. He broke his gaze and grabbed the dragon in a hug. The white dragon was a bit shocked at first but then returned the embrace.

Harmony smiled as he saw the affection that He of Hourglass was showing. He slowly backed away. As he left no one noticed except one who, as he watched Harmony, could see his cutiemark becoming complete.

He of Hourglass pushed himself out of the hug. “Are you ready, Secondclaw?”

The white dragon nodded.


“I figured you would notice me leaving.” Harmony commented, not turning at the opening of the council doors. He knew who it was, but he couldn’t turn his eyes from Golden DragonHeart’s throne just yet.

“I couldn’t bare to ‘die’ with him there…I couldn’t with Spike…” He glanced to the white dragon who was now beside him. “I know it’s coming... I can already feel it. It started as soon as you, or I, or ugh... whoever Choose. The only reason I don’t think it as fully happened is of where…uh.. the Choosing occurred…that and being an alicorn…soon to be ascended spark dragon... Why am I in lecture mode?! Of all the times to do that, I do it in the moments before my ‘death!’”

Harmony stated to pace in frustration, mumbling incoherently. The white dragon went up to him and nuzzled Harmony a bit. Harmony calmed down and gave him a nod indicating that he was now fine.

“I would rather leave this world happy then deal with a dragon doing something stupid and rage about trying to save me or something… I know he’s mature in hoarding, but the effects of losing a bond for the first time may be a bit difficult for him…or maybe not... I don’t know… I just... I don’t want to make it difficult… for either of us.”

Harmony suddenly noticed light like particles floating around that wasn’t from the nine usual thrones. “Hmmm fascinating…” Harmony lifted up his hoof to see balls of light forming on his now glowing form before floating away from him towards the white dragon. “It appears that it has begun in earnest…” Harmony returned his attention to the dragon. “Soul Fire take care of my hatchmate, my brother, Golden DragonHeart. He and his predecessor Spike… they are all the really matter to me in the world. For when all is said and done who else do you have but family?”

Soul Fire smiled and nodded. He place a clawed paw on his heart then close to Harmony’s.

“Thank you, Soul Fire… You will pass on what Spike said when the time is right? ….whatever that means… dragons and timing!” Harmony laughed at his joke. He wiped a tear from his eyes. “I’m sorry I wasn't able to name you sooner…” At that Harmony went silent his body now nearly faded away. He had nothing further to tell his dragon self and knew that things would be fine. His mind was beginning to fade as he walked away from Soul Fire to take a seat on his soon to be former throne, smiling. Yes, things will be fine...

The last thing Harmonious Knight ever heard was Spike calling out to him. “I love you, brother.”

The last thing Harmonious Knight ever did was cry a single tear.

The last thing Harmonious Knight ever thought was the feeling of finally being complete. For he finally had what he always wanted and needed: a family.

The Alicorn Keeper of Harmony is now in harmony.

Author's Note:

Yes its the same name as a chapter in TLKoH...

Anyone what to guess the look of the Element of Magic cutiemark? and I will give you one hint its not a flame.

And if I didn't make a mistake somewhere that is the first and last time Spike called Harmony 'brother.'

RadicalDishonesty: I know there isn't much in this chapter dealing with your concerns next chapter will

Don't expect the next chapter as quickly as previous chapters as it will take time to write... there is a part like at the end of Path of the DragonWyrm that I think might be have to be rewritten a few times before I get it right.


Now is the time for questions guys... NON QUARTZ QUESTIONS...

PreviousChapters Next