• Published 20th Dec 2014
  • 1,119 Views, 192 Comments

Dragons of Hourglass - Rammy



Spike has chosen but now the task of bringing the dragons into harmony must begin and the return of dragon clans seems like a good start

  • ...
18
 192
 1,119

PreviousChapters Next
Abdication

“He of Hourglass we need to contact Celestia.” Harmony pulled out a yellow and red feather from his saddlebag.

“Is that…”

“A feather from Celestia’s pet phoenix Philomena, yes.” Harmony gave the feather to He of Hourglass who promptly blew a wisp of fire incinerating it. Harmony dug back into his bags again and pulled out an ink bottle, a quill, and a overly large piece of parchment. He dipped the quill into the ink and began drawing intricate geometric designs.

“What are you drawing?”

“A spell matrix.” Harmony stopped for a moment. He suppressed the urge to smirk at the lost expression on everyone but Twilight who was memorized by the matrix. ”It’s a more ancient form of spell casting. One that I might add does not need someone to speak slash think like Zecora. That’s the an extreme condensed lesson on it as we don't have time for me to go over the mechanics of spell matrices in comparison to ‘rhyme’ spells.”

Harmony went back to drawing. As he drew Twilight attempted to follow along. She was familiar with the basics of it having first encountered it while studying everything available on Starswirl. He had used spell matrices in the creation of a few of his earlier spells. The matrix Harmony was constructing however defied nearly every spell matrix mechanic that she knew.

“That is one of the most complex spell matrices I have ever seen.”

“Actually this one is a simple one…” Harmony continued to draw but slowed down a bit to respond. “I should show you one of the matrices for the just one of the elements.”

“Now you’ve done it Harmony.” Rainbow groaned knowing that Twilight would not stop until she discovered all the secrets of spell matrices and without Spike to hold her back…

“Not likely, I doubt there is anyone alive besides Celestia, Luna and myself that could really understand, use, and create all but the most simplistic spell matrices…” Harmony eyed his work for a moment before nodding in self approval, ”The skill is unfortunately lost.”

“Not for long Twilight is too much of an egghead not to let that stop her.” Rainbow ducked to avoid a wing slap from Twilight.

“Hmmm…” Harmony looked at Twilight scrutinizing her for a moment. “Maybe.”

Harmony turned the scroll over and wrote a quick letter

Celestia,

On the other side of this parchment is a spell matrix that should allow you to contact the Council of Harmony from the throne room in the Friendship Castle. We need to talk as soon as you are able to cast it.

Your cousin

Knight

“Knight!?! Cousin?!?” Twilight’s mind broke her expression froze in mid crazy Twilight. Everypony and He of Hourglass laughed at her. This managed to break Twilight out of her stupor who promptly growled at everyone.

“Distant relative. She considers me her cousin not the other way around. Signing the letter as Knight was the only way to make sure she didn’t question the authenticity.” At the blank expressions he explained further, “Everyone knows me by the name Harmony but Knight is only known by two.”

“Wait are you saying that Harmony isn't your real name?”

Harmony facehoofed. The event of the past few months must have messed with everyponies’ minds more than he thought. Maybe they needed a refresher. “You just now figured that out? We did talk about dragon names correct?”

“But...” Twilight objected.

Harmony cut her off with a raised hoof. He quickly rolled up the scroll and gave it to He of Hourglass who sent it on its way with his fire. “I know I also mentioned that I follow the dragon code. So it follows that I would also conceal my true name like a dragon would with their hoard name.”

“Then what’s your true name.”

Harmony and He of Hourglass slapped their faces. Harmony grumbled. Both of them surprised that out of all of them that Twilight would ask that question. “I’m beginning to see He of Flight’s side of the argument.” Harmony made another mental note to accelerate her lessons and he was right a refresher will be needed.

“It appears that she need a refresher course on what NOT to say to a dragon.” He of Hourglass crossed his arms. He chuckled a bit when Twilight gulped, realizing her mistake.

“Indeed.”

He of Hourglass gently blew out a wisp of green fire. “She has answered.” A scroll appeared and he grabbed it. He handed it over to Harmony who took it in his magic.

Understood. I will send another letter when ready.

“It should take her about an hour to prepare.”

Twilight was about to ask a question but a sharp look from Harmony stopped her.

“Now, time to find Discord.”


“Knight?” Celestia’s image fritz and her voice wobbled a bit. Harmony’s horn glowed a bit as he adjusted the scrying spell.

“We can see and hear you. Can you likewise?”

“Yes.” Her image and voice now clear.

“Good.”

Celestia looked around. She saw a familiar and different sight. She had not seen the Council of Harmony since just before Discord’s first imprisonment. The thrones appeared to be in a different configuration. Nine of the thrones were still in a semicircle with the unusual magic lights, but in front of them three thrones sat in a straight line. She recognized Discord and Harmony on the two on the left. A young purple and green dragon sat on the right one. Sparks seems to come off his body like water over rocks. She gazed at him for a while. He was quite handsome of a dragon. She just hoped that the good heart that was Spike’s was still there.

“Is it just you three.”

“No, Celestia, we are also here.” Twilight called out but Celestia couldn’t see her. The spell appeared to not allow her to change her view point.

“Sorry, limitations on the spell prevents a full view of the council chambers.” Harmony apologized motioning to Twilight and the others to stay put.

“Very well.. How is everyone?”

“Celestia Solaris as much as we both want to have a friendly chat now is not the time.”

Celestia seemed taken aback for a moment before her usual warm, stoic face returned. “I see…”

Harmony cringed a bit at seeing Celestia’s reaction. He really did want to spend some time having a friendly chat but circumstances dictated otherwise.

“I call the Council of Harmony into order.” Harmony shouted. The lights in the thrones behind them rose and swirled around the room. “Uh… that is new… Discord?”

“My guess? It’s because the Council is now complete.”

After a moment the lights returned to their respective thrones. Both Harmony and He of Hourglass looked expectantly at Discord who shook his head and shrugged.

“Hmmm… Looks like that is over… with…” Harmony thought he knew the in and outs of how the council functions and with Discord also at a lost... Hopefully the books under the dias would tell them what exactly happened.

“Okay on to our business. I, Harmonious Knight, King…”

“Harmonious!?! Who names their foal Harmonious?!”

“Rainbow!” Twilight quickly shut her mouth with her magic.

“Well I think it’s just a marvelous name.”

“Anyway…” Harmony rolled his eyes. “I, Harmonious Knight, King of the lands of Equestria, Lord of the Crystal City hereby abdicate my kingship of the United Kingdom of the Trivium Equine Tribes.”

“United Kingdom of Trivium Equine Tribes?”

“The official name for the Kingdom of Equestria.” Harmony waved his hoof dismissively, “It’s rarely used.”

“With a heavy heart I accept your abdication of the throne. My first act is to degree that Luna and I shall retain the title of Princess.”

Harmony smiled widely, ”Somehow I knew you would do that Celly.” Celestia giggled.

“Celly?” Rainbow Dash snorted, “You called Princess Celestia Celly!?” Rainbow couldn’t hold it anymore and fell onto the floor laughing hard. Pinkie soon joined her when she saw how red Celestia had become. It was hard even for the rest as they had to hid their snorts with hooves.

“You are so going to get it for that.” Celestia managed to spurt out angrily.

“Not likely.” Harmony stuck his tongue out.

Suddenly a deep cough from He of Hourglass got everyone’s attention. He needed to discuss something with the Sun Princess. And as much as he wanted the jolly mood to continue he needed them to leave as soon as possible for their safety.

Celestia took the hint. “Is there anything else we need to discuss?”

“Yes, there is Sun Princess.”

“What is it Dragon of Hourglass City?” She warmly smiled keeping a steady eye contact with him.

He of Hourglass smiled back at her. It was good to know that she was not intimidated by a dragon. However he was intrigued as to how she figured out his territory. He decided to figure out that later. “As Firstclaw of the Clan of Hourglass I wish to breath the flame of friendship with you.”

“That would be one step below allies Celestia.” Harmony interjected when he saw her confused state. He of Hourglass nodded in agreement.

“Ah… Likewise.”

“I do have a request.” Celestia nodded for him to continue. “I would like the Bearer of Magic act as a what’s the word… liaison? Between us and your government.”

“Very well.” She turned her attention back to Harmony, ”I’m surprised, Knight, that you didn’t request that position.”

“He of Hourglass needs me to act in a similar capacity to other dragons as I have an extensive firemail network and I know the general locations of many others not in my network. Unfortunately the Bearer of Magic does not have a suitable anchor with her. So for the moment Celestia you will have to take and receive letters.”

“So that is why you abdicated.”

“Yes.”

“I always figured that you would leave for your adopted people.”

“Adopted people?”

“Later…” Harmony dismissed.

“Is there anything else?”

“Just that the Bearers should arrive back in Equestria within a week.”

“And Discord?” Celestia asked, turning towards Discord.

“I will be escorting them. From there I will most likely be on Keeper business.”

“Is that everything?”

The keepers eyed each other for a moment before Harmony spoke. ”That is all for now. Council of Harmony out.”

The image of Celestia wavered for a moment then disappeared. Harmony slumped down on his throne. He will have to make it up with Celestia. It was quite obvious that she wanted to talk. The last time they had seen each other Discord had whisked them away and before that it had been nearly fifteen years. And that time was also all business. Thinking on it further Harmony couldn’t remember just talking in nearly a century.

“He of Harmony is there a way to modify the spell matrix you used to allow communication without necessitate using me as a glorified mail dragon that would also allow any clan member to use it?”

“It may take a month for two for me to design it, but, yeah, I think it’s possible. It will only allow communication from the let’s say the council chambers in Hourglass to the Friendship Council chambers. For any other location will take much longer and would require designing and building two more spell matrices.”

“Good.”

“As for the construction part I will need to call in a few favors to get the right materials and even then… I’m afraid that we are going to need to use your mail fire for about six months, maybe more.”

“Very well, just try and keep mail to a minimum.”

“I will. I also need the defense array working again. I’m not sure if it will interfere with the matrix.”

“I will see what I can do.”

For a moment no one talked. Harmony was already beginning to think on how to design the communication matrix. Twilight was trying to figure out what it would mean being the “ambassador” to a clan of dragons. Discord was busy trying to figure out the weird circumstances with the council lights.

“Soooooooo Harmonious...” Rainbow began.

The council chambers darkened as Harmony walked right over to Rainbow. The air around him crackled as the air thicken with mana. His voice trembled in power as he stated. “Harm. O. Ny.”

“Hehe…” Rainbow gulped before regaining her courage. “You can’t boss us around anymore as you are no longer king.”

Harmony smiled evilly. “You would think that but no. I’m still the Alicorn Keeper and as my ‘Hoard’ contains the Elements by dragon code Equestria is part of my territory. So I still have authority over you.“

“So, no changes other than your title?” Twilight commented as the air lighten once again.

“Not exactly…”

“Oh, for the love of–” Rainbow complained. “Will you quit speaking in riddles?”

“What did you say?” A wide eyed Harmony turned to stare at Rainbow.

Rainbow spoke again but Harmony heard Spike saying, “I am tired of you talking in riddles…”

He of Hourglass noticed the change in Harmony when Rainbow began to repeat what she said. Not again! He rushed over and caught Harmony as he collapsed.

Author's Note:

Comment, fav, thumbs up...

Okay, Harmony is acting like a bit of a jerk there at the end and also Celly!?

PreviousChapters Next