• Published 23rd Apr 2012
  • 1,375 Views, 38 Comments

Equestricle: Coming of Harmony - Sohndann



A group of legends are united by a single destiny-freeing a mysterious island from a dark force.

  • ...
1
 38
 1,375

Rarity, Toa of Generosity

Rarity heard the boulders long before she saw them. Turning, she saw the giant round rocks bearing down on her. She screamed and started running down the slope of Mount Canter, her shouts mingling with other shouts and creating a cluster of noise that echoed around the flat, snowy area of Rari-Wahi.

"Look out!" came a brash voice from behind Rarity. Just then, something hard hit her in the small of the back and she collapsed onto the snow. She landed flat on her face and skidded along the rest of the slope, until it leveled out and she ground to a halt.

"What an absolutely HORRIBLE experience!" She moaned as she stood herself up. "I've got snow in my mask!" This was true. A lot of snow had been caught in the exotic purple curl on the top of her mask, and covered the trio of diamonds emblazoned on the front.

"Sorry. Heh heh." Someone laughed behind her. Rarity turned, at which a lot of snow fell out of her eyes, and saw a brightly colored figure scrambling to her feet. This figure resembled her a lot, and not just in stature. For this being was also wearing a mask and armor like hers. Could this be one of the other Toa that Turaga Platinum had told her about?

Rarity flung her purple scarf around her neck. "What were you thinking?" she shouted madly. "Now I've got snow EVERYWHERE!"

"Let me help out with that." The other being said, raising her hands. Once Rarity calmed down, she stood still and let this other Toa clean her off. In a most unexpected maneuver, the Toa started running in a circle around her at a frightening speed, until all that Rarity could see was a rainbow blur.

Eventually, the Toa slowed down and left Rarity standing weakly, but free of snow nonetheless.

"Sorry about that. I find it hard to stop once I get going." The other Toa admitted sheepishly. Rarity's eyes slid in and out of focus and she wobbled on the spot for a few seconds.

"I, uh...woah...why is the mountain spinning?" she asked, before she shook her head and brought herself back to reality.

"Yes, that's okay, dear." she said, with an air of refinery in her voice. "That was much appreciated."

"Glad to be of help. I'm Rainbow, Toa of Loyalty." the other Toa held out her hand.

"I'm Rarity." Rarity took Rainbow's hand and shook it lightly. "Also a Toa."

"Awesome." Rainbow grinned. "What are you doing?"

"I'm searching for something in the Wahi." Rarity explained. "My Turaga said there was a mask here."

"A mask?" Rainbow asked. "Remind me, why do we need to go into dangerous places and look for masks? Aside from it being fun?"

""Fun" is hardly how I would describe it, Rainbow." Rarity said. "If we find a mask, our power increases, according to my Turaga."

"Having an adventure AND getting a power boost? Awesome!" Rainbow shouted. "Where is this mask?"

"I think it's in the cave at the base of the mountain." Rarity pointed to Mount Canter.

"Can I come with you?" Rainbow asked.

Rarity considered her options. In her opinion, Rainbow was exceedingly brash. She may do something that would prevent Rarity from getting her hands on the mask. However, she had gifts, and if they were used correctly and controlled...

"Okay then. It would be nice to have an extra pair of hands." Rarity inclined her head.

"Yeah!" Rainbow cheered and dashed towards the base of the mountain. Rarity barely had time to call out to her, sighed, and started walking up to the cave.
-----
"What took you so long?" Rainbow grinned as Rarity tramped up to the cave mouth. Rarity scowled at her.

The two made their way inside the cave, which was very narrow initially, but soon expanded into a gigantic cavern, filled with glittering crystals of all colors, shapes and sizes. Rarity was immediately captivated by their beauty.

"Hey, eyes on the prize, Rarity." Rainbow prodded her in the shoulder.

"Which one? They're all so...dazzling!" Rarity grinned.

"That one." Rainbow pointed to the opposite end of the cavern, where a mask lay embedded in the surface of the wall.

"Wha-oh, the mask!" Rarity shook her head. "O-of course. After you, dear."

"If you say so." Rainbow walked to the mask this time, instead of just dashing off. Rarity followed behind her. However, the two found themselves at a large crevice between the cavern and the mask.

"Woah! How deep is that?" Rainbow looked down into the crevice. It was too dark to see if it ended, so it appeared to go on forever.

"Too deep, if you ask me." Rarity turned away. "However are we going to get to the mask?"

"I have no idea." Rainbow held her head in her hands. "There's a very narrow ledge on the other side. I could jump to it and get the mask."

"It's worth a try, I suppose." Rarity nodded. "Go on. Let's see if it does work."

"Okay. Here we go." Rainbow walked back a few meters, tensed herself, then ran towards the crevice with all her energy. When she reached the beginning of the crevice, she jumped over the crevice, and landed on the ledge.

"That was easy." Rainbow extracted the mask from the wall and tossed it from hand to hand. "Let's get back over there!" There was no room for a run up this time, so Rainbow jumped straight up, but misjudged and dropped down the crevice, hanging onto the ledge by a single hand.

"Rainbow!" Rarity dropped to her knees and grabbed Rainbow's hand just as she slipped. "I've got you!"

"Great! Now don't let go!" Rainbow warned. The two stayed like that, until something fell from the ceiling of the cavern and hit Rarity on the head, sending her to the ground. Rainbow slipped down into the crevice, taking Rarity with her.

The pair of Toa were sent falling into the crevice, screaming at the top of their lungs. It seemed to go on forever. Rarity grabbed Rainbow by the waist and held on tight.

"What are you doing?" Rainbow shouted.

"Saving us!" Rarity shouted back.

In an instant, the ground at the end of the hole rushed up to the Toa and they collided with it. Rainbow felt herself collide with something soft and squishy. For a moment, she thought, with horror, that she had crushed Rarity. And, in fact, she had. Rarity had turned herself into some kind of malleable substance to protect both her and Rainbow.

"Rarity! Are you okay?" Rainbow jumped up off Rarity, who returned to her original solid state.

"I'm fine, dear." Rarity flicked her scarf out behind her. "Are you okay? and what about the mask?"

"It's okay." Rainbow held out the mask. Rarity could get a better look at it now. It had a strange circular object on the top, held by a hinge. Possibly some kind of shield?

"Here." Rainbow held the mask out to Rarity. "You went looking for it, and you saved my life. It's yours."

"No no no, Rainbow, I insist. You take it." Rarity pushed the mask back towards Rainbow, who looked confused for a moment, then smiled, nodded in thanks, and placed the mask over her face. It began to glow with a blue energy as it seemed to absorb itself into Rainbow's mask. Within seconds, it had disappeared.

"A mask of Honesty. Nice." Rainbow grinned. "What did you say you were a Toa of again?"

"I didn't, Rainbow." Rarity replied. "I'm a Toa of Generosity." She held out her hand to Rainbow, who took it and gripped it firmly.

"Now, how are we going to get out of here?" Rainbow asked, getting back to the situation at hand.