• Published 20th Apr 2012
  • 16,997 Views, 1,176 Comments

Discordant - ezra09



When Discord finds a crack in his prison he begins whispering to a lonely Scootaloo.

  • ...
23
 1,176
 16,997

Arrogance of a Foal

“What are you doing here?” Scootaloo asked.

“Close the door.” Rainbow said.

The shock faded, leaving an aching anger behind. She’d seen Rainbow Dash several times since that night at the clubhouse, but seeing her now, eyes full of anger, brought Scootaloo’s own anger back. Rainbow Dash had been the first to learn about Scootaloo’s situation, but rather than helping, or at least staying out of it, she’d gone to the orphanage and arranged for them to take Scootaloo away. In a single thoughtless action, Rainbow Dash had almost taken away everypony Scootaloo cared for.

Scootaloo turned her snout up in stubborn defiance. Who did Dash think she was, coming in and ordering Scootaloo around? She’d leave the door right where it was.

“Close. The. Door.”

The door clicked softly as Scootaloo eased it shut.

“Come here.” Rainbow Dash’s voice was calm, free of anger or the promise of violence. She was past that. Miles past it. Scootaloo shivered and edged closer, her defiance wilting under the cold glare.

“The princess.”

“What about her?” Scootaloo tried to mimic her idol’s calm, but her voice cracked on the last word.

“I know how it works. Once you’ve used the element, you can’t just go passing it around to anypony that fits the bill.” Rainbow’s calm shattered as she snarled, “You turned the princess to stone!”

Scootaloo fell back from the sudden rage.

“You lied to use when we were trying to help you. You used us. You betrayed everypony!”

“I don’t care about them!” Scootaloo screamed, surging back to her hooves. Dash flinched in surprise, not expecting to have her anger trumped. “I don’t give a flying feather about what anypony else wants! I care about me!”

Scootaloo’s wings came up aggressively as she marched forward and simple knocked Rainbow to her haunches. “My parents died. I was torn away from my friends, my family, everypony who cared about me. They put me in a dull gray prison where I was bullied and picked on. The only pony who cared about me was me.” Scootaloo jabbed a hoof at Rainbow Dash. “And when I finally got out of there and found some real friends, you tried to send me back!”

“I—” Rainbow Dash started, but Scootaloo wouldn’t be stopped.

“Of course you don’t understand. You’re the great hero of ponyville, saviour of ponies on a daily basis, the universe’s gift to ponykind, but I don’t care what happens to anypony else. I’m done with the cold nights. I’m done going hungry. And I’m done being alone.” Tears began to fall down Scootaloo’s face as she shouted.

“And if I have to change the world to get what I want, then I’d do it again twice as fast!”

“You stupid little foal!” Dash snapped, swatting Scootaloo’s hoof away. “Do you really think you’re the only pony who’s ever gone hungry? That you’re the only pony who’s sat up at night, aching with loneliness?”

Scootaloo stumbled back, blinking through her tears.

“I know it hurts. But nopony else is selfish or arrogant enough to think they can change the world just to make themselves feel better. Do you really think any of your friends would have just forgotten you? I was just trying to get you off the streets. I was only doing what nopony did for me.”

Scootaloo’s retort caught in her throat.

Rainbow’s voice dropped to an angry hiss. “I had to drop out of flight school and get a job just to get by. Never let anypony know about it. But it never even crossed your mind that somepony might know better than you.”

“Rainbow, I—”

“Save it! You chose your friends, go tell your sob story to them.” Rainbow turned away.

“They care about me too. All Discord wanted to do is help me!”

Rainbow spun back to her. “How stupid can you be? Discord manipulates everypony he meets. He nearly tore apart my friends. He had the changeling queen lock Rarity in a basement for a week and sent Princess Luna nightmares until she panicked and stole the elements. Do you have any idea what kind of ponies you’ve sided with?” Dash made a sound of disgust and turned toward the back of the room. “We’re going to find the elements and stop Discord. For your sake, I hope I never see you again.” Dash marched out onto the balcony and flung herself into the open air.

Scootaloo watched her go, a cold weight in the pit of her stomach. Rainbow Dash was supposed to be the embodiment of Loyalty. Some small part of Scootaloo had hoped that her idol wouldn’t believe... that she’d still...

What did Dash know anyway? She was just a stupid adult, always thinking she was right. She’d never even stopped to ask Scootaloo what she wanted.

Dash was wrong about Discord. He’d been there for Scootaloo since they’d met. He’d never do anything to hurt her. She hadn’t heard about Chrysalis locking Rarity up, but it didn’t surprise her. The changeling queen was evil. It didn’t mean Discord had ordered her to do it, or that he even knew she had.

Still, why would Chrysalis want to...

“Spike!”