• Published 14th Sep 2014
  • 11,532 Views, 129 Comments

Celestia's Care Taker - SparkStone



Princess Celestia is mysteriously taken to earth without knowledge of how it happened. Meeting a human, Alex, he takes care of her until a fore mentioned portal opens once more to bring her back.

  • ...
50
 129
 11,532

Chapter 9

The Final Encounter

As the day starts up, the return of the jovial morning ritual commences. Alex is up early to see that outside is still the cloudy mess as it were before. The mysterious weather takes the land with its stubborn chill. Celestia too takes notice as she walks downstairs to see Alex cooking.

“Bit of a cold morning, isn’t it?” Celestia quoted.

Alex nodded in agreement. “Sure is. Looks like we’ll be staying in for today.”

Alex brings out some spinach ravioli. Inside this delicacy are several cheeses, melted together to perfection. It includes a sprinkling of spices to dazzle the top like snow. Celestia is once again impressed by his culinary arts as she is about to stick her fork into the food. One chew later, she finds the next bite into a mouthful, not having enough the first time. Alex chuckles some at the sight.

“Celestia, there’s plenty more, so please don’t choke yourself like this.”

“But it’s so good.” Celestia spat with some spinach sprayed onto his face. He rubs the green off and smirks.

“And don’t talk with your mouthful!”

Celestia blushes in embarrassment, still having a good time like before. This ends however as a loud knock comes to the door. The heavy hitting makes Alex rush to the door as quickly as possible. Opening it, he finds Brin and Harold waiting outside with expressions of worry.

“What’s wrong?” Alex asked.

“We tried calling Charles and Julie today.” Brin explained. “But no one picked up.”

“We were hoping if you knew what happened.” Harold added.

“No, I don’t.” Alex answered, making the situation worsen.

“We should keep heading over to their house then.” Harold told Brin.

“I don’t want to go too far…” Brin stated slowly. “I have a bad feeling about this. The weather isn’t normal, and everything’s starting to freeze. Even your house is getting cold Alex.”

Alex stopped to check the temperature. He finds his fingers becoming colder by the moment. “I see what you mean Brinnet. Something’s off.”

“Sorry if I’m a bit too scared to go out any further, but I just want to make sure Pony Plaza is alright too. Charles lives kinda far if you recall.” She reasoned.

“I’ll head out alone I guess.” Harold sighed, only to be denied by Alex’s hand to his shoulder.

“I’ll come with you.” Alex offered. “I’m kinda worried if they don’t pick up the phone.”

“Let’s hurry then.” Harold tells him. “The sooner, the better.”

Celestia trots over to see the three discussing about something important. “What’s the matter?”

“Charles and Julie aren’t picking up their phone.” Alex informed her. “Me and Harold are going to check it out.”

“In this weather!?” Celestia questioned. “It’s far too dangerous to head out in this cold.”

“Which is why you should stick around here.” Alex mentions. “I can’t risk you getting a flu.”

“I don’t want you to get one either.” She lectures.

“I’ll be back. I promise.” Alex vowed.

The two left for the car, and drove off to see their friend. Celestia lets Brin inside and shuts the door, unaware of the person watching from afar.

“It’s time to leave the hospitality of my family, Celestia.”


Hours pass in the car. Harold and Alex converse a bit as the chilly wind attempts to leech inside the warm car. Brushing on through the snow free road, the two hope that their companions are alright.

“So, I heard everything.” Harold tells Alex.

“Everything huh?” Alex responded, raising an eyebrow.

“That you lied to us.”

“Mmm…”

“And Celestia lied to us.”

“Yep.”

“And that you two are big liars.”

“That about sums it up.” Alex admits.

The cars stops at the house of Charles and Julie. What was once a nice, quaint home, was now a frozen wasteland. The roof was covered in ice and snow with icicles hanging from the edges. Snow piles everywhere, covering their car, their windows, and their door. The second story seems to be the only way in, seeing how the snow towered over the place made the usual entrance impossible to access without digging through. Climbing up the snow and to the windows, the two attempted to reach for the windows.

Alex jumped up, but can only touch the ledge just barely. “It’s still too high up.”

“Here, I’ll give you a boost.” Harold suggested.

Doing so, Alex manages to go in and find the room covered in frost. The unnatural chill slithers from room to room. Alex rubs his arms to keep warm as he searches for Charles and Julie.

“Guys!? You here!?” He shouts. “Come on out!”

“Alex?” a voice mutters. “Alex, is that you?”

“Charles!?” Alex calls out. “Where are you!?”

The door near Alex shakes, but doesn’t budge. Checking the door, Charles explains the situation.

“Julie and I are stuck in here!” The voice calls from the door. “It’s frozen shut!”

“Stand back!” Alex warns them. “I’ll kick it down!”

Getting ready to kick it, Alex takes a few steps back. He waits for a moment before jumping at the door, kicking it down with all his might. The hinges break, and the two are holding each other, looking as if they were getting the cold end of the winter.

“What happened here!?” Alex questioned.

“Aurabelle… she…” Julie mutters.

“She locked us in here.” Charles answered, shocking Alex. “She broke in, destroyed my blueprints, and kept us trapped so we couldn’t tell you.”

“W-Why would she do that…!?” Alex wondered.

“Celestia.” Charles said, sternly. “She’s out to get her.”

“Celestia…?”

“She’s in danger!” Charles yelled. “We have to go! NOW!”


Brin and Celestia sit down for tea, doing their best to keep calm of this bizarre event. The room’s temp has been in a standstill, even with the thermostat being set high up. Once in a while, a breath could be seen from the small mist it creates. Celestia and Brin discussed matters to take their mind off of the cold.

“So, Celestia…” Brin spoke. “About… the other day…”

“You have heard of the truth, I’m guessing?” Celestia responded.

Brin nods, looking down to her hands. “It was shocking. Rochelle was the one trying to kill Alex… I don’t even know what to say to all of that…”

“It’s frightening…” Celestia says with a sigh, recalling of her past. “When your beloved sister goes too far, it complicates everything…”

Brin turns away, watching the snow fall. Holding her shoulders, she apologizes. “I’m sorry… for how we all reacted. I guess no matter how much we’re used to ponies, we’re still a bit edgy from them.”

Suddenly, the ground shook, knocking the books off the shelves and plates out the cupboards. Brin and Celestia held on to whatever they can to stay safe from what wreckage may come upon them. The ceiling starts to crack and crumble. Celestia quickly brought Brin close to her and created a magic bubble to barricade themselves in. When the shaking stops, Celestia lowers the barrier and checks on her friend.

“Are you alright?” She asked in concern.

“I’m fine.” Brin assured her.

The two checked around to see a mess of broken plates and fallen books. The two looked around and soon saw Aurabelle. In such shock and confusion, they stood silent, unsure of what to make of this.

“What… Aurabelle, what is this?” Brin questioned.

The icy stare of the woman before them caused chills to their spines. She smiled and replied, “Just taking care of some business.”

In a snap, she destroys the machine next to her, causing Celestia’s eyes to shrink as she shouted in terror.

“NO!”

The machine was turned to crumbled metal, strings of wire, and bits of bolts. The machine to ensure the bridge between worlds was gone. Celestia slowly turned to Aurabelle as she raised her hand to her.

“You will no longer bother my family.” She told her. “We don’t need another pony to ruin our lives. My sister is dead because of yours, and Alex is in pain because of what you had brought with you from your world. Your sins… your past… Yourself…”

“Aurabelle… Please…” Brin begged. “Just listen to Celestia…”

“I will not hear another word from this liar…” Aurabelle stated. “It’s time for you to leave this house.”

“I can’t leave…” Celestia told her.

“And why is that?” Aurabelle questioned.

Looking back to the first day when she was brought in, the memory of her meeting Alex begins with his calm smile. The two talked as strangers and equals, making a deal that would continue until the way back came.

"You're going to have to do a lot more than speak words of righteousness" Celestia states.

"Alright, then how about bribery? I can cook, do medicine, and other skills to help you have a good time until you go back home. This is an example." Alex offered a plate of pancakes to the white mare.

She takes the plate and takes a bite of it as she asked, "The catch is…?"

"You stay here. My world would kinda go into a panic if they saw a pony like you. Unlike me, they won’t let you off easy. I might need some help with other things as well, but in the meantime, just keep my human race sane, okay?"

The simple promise she made was enough to keep her here. Just being with him until the portal opens, she decides to hold on to her vow.

“I promised Alex I would stay here until the portal opens.” She tells Aurabelle. “I’m afraid this is the only place I can go for the time being.”

Aurabelle’s hand shines and the ground turns to ice. Her eyes glow, and a tower of glaciers was made right beneath them, taking the two to the skies. Aurabelle and Celestia were no alone in the clouds as the snow hummed a suspenseful tune. “Allow me to make you reconsider.”


Alex and the others are in the car, driving as fast as they could. Harold tried his best, but with the roads now too slippery, he drove at a safer pace. Alex didn’t like this however, and complained.

“We need to get there faster!” Alex reminded him.

“I’m not gonna risk our lives in this weather Alex!” Harold shouted. “I’m sorry, but we’re just gonna have to hope that they’re okay.”

“We’re almost there Alex.” Charles informed him. “Try and take it easy.”

“Aurabelle is about to hurt Celestia…” He stated. “How am I supposed to take it easy?”

“We’re all worried.” Julie stated.

“Yeah Alex, you’re not the only one.” Harold lectured.

Alex crossed his arms and groaned. “It’s different for me.”

“How come?” Charles asked.

“Aurabelle is acting like Rochelle…”

The silence struck the others, now seeing Alex’s feelings in a true light. The past is repeating, and he is taking another front row seat to see the horror. Alex is scared to see what is to come next. Understanding how he feels, Harold goes faster to reach the house.

When they arrive, they see the roof of his house in shambles, as an icy tower looms from the building. Everyone else was horrified, confused, and still. The coldness of the snow can’t even get them to shiver at what they saw. Running inside, they find Brinnet on the floor, breathing slowly. Harold brought her up and asked, “What happened here?”

“A-Aurabelle came…” She muttered. “And broke the thing Celestia was going to use for the portal. Then she took Celestia with this ice. They’re all the way up there.”

Everyone looked up and saw the structure stand tall above them all. In their greatest despair and obvious defeat, Alex’s friends sit down.

“We’re too late…” Charles sighed. “She took Celestia… broke the device…”

“It’s a bad day…” Julie whimpered.

“… Perhaps we should have a final drink for Celestia…” Herold said in great solemn.

Alex’s hands were shaking. He watched as his friends trembled before Aurabelle and her might. Knowing Celestia’s life was at stake, he rushed to what remains of his room. Opening the closet, he extracts the tools he needs. As much as he wants to keep them intact, they were worth giving up if it meant Celestia could be saved. Grabbing Maud’s Pickaxe, Applejack’s rope, Daring Do’s survival bag, and Spitfire’s goggles; he heads out to the icy tower and starts his climb. Using the pickaxe to hold onto the slippery surface, he does his best to make it up there as quickly as possible. His friends watch as Alex fights the deadly odds for Celestia. The snow shoves him, the winds push him, but he brushes on. His friends cheer for him as he makes it up the mountain with his newfound strength.


Did it take him hours? Apparently, it took him just one before he almost reached the top. The pickaxes begins to crack, but Alex knew what to do. Reaching into his survival kit, he throws a grappling hook, just making it reach the edge barely. It wasn’t long before it finally broke, and Alex sheds a small tear as his memory of Maud shatters away. He climbs the rope and makes it to the top. Packing up the grappling hook, he looks forward, and sees Celestia standing still. Her hooves were frozen in place, and Aurabelle continued to throw her demands.

“What will it take you to leave?!” She shouted.

“My promise is to remain here until the portal opens.” She states once more. “And I shall continue to do so until then.”

“Your arrogance… your persistence… is annoying.” Aurabelle growled. “It will be the death of you.

“I won’t fight…” Celestia stated. “I’m not going to repeat the mistake I did with Luna… I rather brave against what you have at me than to make it all happen again…”

“Very well then.” Aurabelle sneered.

Aurabelle shoots a freezing beam towards Celestia. But before the beam could hit, Alex uses the survival bag to block the beam, but in turn, the bag was frozen solid. It then slipped from his hands and shattered onto the frozen floor, and the memoir of Daring Do now too disappears forever. As saddening as it may be, Alex kept focus on his mission. He stood between Aurabelle and Celestia, shocking them both.

“Alex…!” Celestia called out.

“Stop it! Stop it right now!” Alex cried out.

Aurabelle stepped back a bit in shock, but kept her composure and said, “Alex… Step aside. This doesn’t concern you.”

“That’s a lie!” He retaliated. “Why are you trying to keep ponies away from me? Why Aurabelle?!”

“They waste your time with such drivel.” She pointed out. “They take up space, badgering you for things, taking what belongs to you away! Especially our sister!”

“Don’t do this Aurabelle!” Celestia begged.

“Don’t bring Rochelle into this.” Alex plead, yet still standing his ground.

“Do I have to remind you again? About how ponies took away one of our own?” Aurabelle questioned. “That pony, or even the next one will do it. They will take without remorse. And they will do it until you have nothing left. You’ll go through losing somebody like Rochelle over and over again.”

“… You’re right…” Alex admitted. “I will lose someone again and again… like Rochelle…”

Aurabelle grinned as Celestia lowered her head. Alex stomps the floor and continues. “Only this time… You’re the one taking them away from me!”

Aurabelle stepped back in shock as Alex shouted, “You’re taking away the ponies just because of Nightmare! But you forget what I want! What Rochelle wanted! You’re… You’re the one hurting me Aurabelle… And I don’t like it one bit.”

The mastermind stood still as Alex began to cry in front of her. Celestia watched as the feud has struck her beloved’s heart in deep. She doesn’t know what to do. She’s too afraid to harm anyone, so she waits. Aurabelle was in conflict and began to ponder at her options. But all she finds are ways to hurt Alex. Feeling trapped, she closes her eyes and strikes, not knowing what she is doing. A spear of ice sparks left and right until it reaches for Celestia. Alex attempts to block the spear, but is luckily saved by Celestia and her magic. Making a shield, she deflects it and lets it hit the floor, causing a crack to form.

Aurabelle placed her hands onto her mouth, shocked at her actions.

“I… I… almost killed…!”

“That’s the same look…” Alex muttered. “As Rochelle when she realized what she did… It still hurts to remember too…”

“I… I’m so sorry… this… I didn’t mean to…”

Suddenly, the tower starts to shatter as Aurabelle’s spell starts to falter. Celestia, being trapped with her hooves stuck in the ice, falls down. Alex quickly tries to grab hold, but found that he couldn’t hold onto her. Deciding to tie the rope to her, he does it as quickly as possible, managing multiple loops to hold her. He starts pulling, but she falls. Celestia hangs onto the rope while ice is still stuck on her hooves. Alex grits his teeth as he tried to keep her from falling.

“Celestia! Try to fly! Or use your magic!” He told her.

“I’m sorry… the cold… and her spells… I can only manage shields and some levitation… but I’m afraid that I don’t have enough to teleport… As for my wings, she has frozen them as well.”

“Just try anything! You can make it!” Alex cried out.

“You can let go Alex.” Celestia assured him. “I’m sure I’ll survive… and if I don’t… please tell Aurabelle, I hold no grudges…”

The ice beneath Alex’s feet start to crack, but he holds on. He finds a formation of ice that would keep him from slipping off the surface while giving him the strength to keep holding Celestia. The ice continues to break, but he holds on.

“Alex, let go.” Celestia demanded. “You are going to fall!”

“Then you have to be safe!” Alex snapped back. “Either you go to safety, or we die together!”

“Alex!” She scolded. “LET… GO…”

Alex’s tears shed as he declines once more. “I’m not gonna… I’m not gonna… I’m not going to lose you too Celestia… If I lost you… then I think I’d give up on everything after this…”

Silence takes place, and the two find impending doom now definite. They are ready to accept their fate. Celestia closes her eyes and tries to use her magic. Sadly, it is drained. The most she can do is cut the rope, but that will lead to consequences she cannot allow. Alex will give up to an extent, where he will never smile again. She can’t have sadness take over his life. There has to be a way, but it is not in her hooves to decide fate.

It is up to Aurabelle, who stands behind Alex. Even though he knows Aurabelle is there, he ignores her. She continues to watch the two struggle, still feeling insecure about everything. Once she moves her hand up, something happens.

Celestia is now lighter. Almost as if she was being carried. Alex was too, carried by the force conducted by Aurabelle. The ice tower begins to melt, and the snowing stops. The clouds begin to disappear, and they all land safely to what remains of the house. The group watches as the tired Alex rests on the sleeping Celestia. Everyone quickly does what they can to nurse the two back to health, all while Aurabelle sat on the couch, holding her head in regret and remorse.

What’s wrong with me…?

Author's Note:

The next chapter is the last chapter of this story.

*screams* I'm about to actually finish my story for the first time! :pinkiegasp:

Oh, if you're gonna guess (Or request) what happens next, knock yourselves out. I just hope you too are getting emotional, seeing that this story is coming to a close. :raritycry: