• Published 14th Sep 2014
  • 3,974 Views, 195 Comments

The Lords of Harmony - Whinifree



When Luna goes missing during the Nightmare Night festival, a mysterious enemy emerges, wielding a terrible power that nopony knows anything about.

  • ...
4
 195
 3,974

Act 2 - Equestrian Winter

Celestia stirred atop her bed. Slowly, her eyes crept open, and she let out a soft murmur that was absorbed into her pillow before it was even registered in the princess's mind that it had occurred. Clenching her eyes shut, she pulled her right hoof up from beneath the thick bedsheets and rubbed her head just above her temple. The pulsing of blood she felt within her veins was great, leaving her wincing as she massaged the spot a moment longer. With a deep sigh, she returned her hoof to its previous place and simply lay there, allowing the soft mattress to cradle her form. She breathed gently, but despite the warmth and comfort, her mind was now racing to the level that made it impossible for her to return to the peace of slumber.

She peeked her eyes open after a while. The new clock on her nightstand–her old wall-mounted clock having stopped working only a couple days earlier–showed that it was half past eleven. The princess groaned, and one golden glow from her horn later, the sheets had been pushed down past her hind legs and dropped carelessly at the foot of the bed. She slid off the bed and placed her hooves on the smooth, hard, and cold marble floor. She rose up, shaking herself and her mane and tail began to flow as the desire for sleep was overpowered by restlessness.

Celestia shivered and looked up at her window and the night sky outside, noticing that the bottom section of the wooden frame was covered with snow and several icicles hung from the top. She then glanced to the fireplace, where a tiny orange glow from within the pile of charred wood indicated that several embers still remained but would soon fade. With her magic, she slid open the wire screen flaps, set a new log on the pile along with a few crumpled pieces of old newspapers, and held a newly lit match to the paper. The fire sprung back to life, bathing the royal chamber in its bright but also soothing radiance. The dancing light mingled with the soft aura coming from the strands of multi-colored lights that lined the wall.

A wreath adorned with a red ribbon hung above the door that led out into the palace hall, but the princess's gaze passed over the wreath and landed on a large, pink, crystalline heart that sat even higher up.

Celestia stopped shivering as the revitalized fire in the fireplace warmed the room, and she kept her sight fixed on the decorative heart that dominated the wall above her chamber door.

She levitated a sheet of paper over from her nightstand and began to read.

From Princess Celestia, to the citizens of Equestria.

As you all know, our beloved Equestria is under siege by the forces of Nightmare Moon. Starting with the abduction of Princess Luna during Nightmare Night, and the recent loss of the Crystal Empire, the life and land we hold most dear is in danger of being lost. I will not force anypony to take up arms and put themselves in mortal danger in actual combat, but I do deeply implore everypony from the bottom of my heart to consider signing up for emergency military service in defense of this great nation. Equestria needs you. Equestria needs all of us.

Within the next few days, representatives from Equestria's armed forces will be arriving at every city and town to sign up recruits. If, for any reason, you are unable or unwilling to sign up for service, know that you are still helping the cause by staying strong in these trying times.

Remember, Nightmare Moon may have enslaved Princess Luna. She may have powerful dark magic. She may have the Alicorn Amulet. She may have an army of minions at her call. But there is something we have that she doesn't: heart.

Stay strong, my little ponies... my friends.

Happy Hearth's Warming.

Celestia glanced over to her nightstand at a stack of papers that sat next to the picture of herself and Luna. It had been only a week since she'd sent the notice out, but already, she'd received reports that hundreds of ponies across the land had enlisted, and that number was increasing with each passing day.

Returning the paper to her nightstand, she turned and stared into the fire that burned strong within the fireplace. Her thoughts lingered on the plea she'd sent out, and the quick response it had garnered. She watched the flames flicker and sway. She closed her eyes, and soon, she saw them. The visages of the spectral ponies from her dream appeared in her mind. Each one wore the same bright smile on their countenance that they had in the dream. Their eyes were filled to the brim with love as they beamed at the princess. Visible in their see-through bodies, the little orbs that stood in for their hearts glowed without faltering, shifting between gold and silver in a ceaseless cycle.

Before she even realized it, Celestia was smiling. When she reopened her eyes, her vision was blotted out by wetness. She sniffled and wiped away the tears that had formed during her quick recollection.

“At least I know what the first part of this latest vision means,” she muttered. Sitting down on her hindquarters, she continued to stare into the blaze within the fireplace. “But this is the second time I've seen that book with the odd message in it...”

A golden aura appeared around Celestia's horn, and she levitated a blank sheet of paper and quill over from her desk. The quill began to scribble on the parchment, making tiny scratching noises as it moved. Once it was done, the princess set the quill back inside the bottle of ink she'd pulled it from.

Still holding the parchment aloft with her magic, Celestia moved it closer until it was nearly touching the tip of her snout and she read the passage aloud.

“A memory stolen by the beating of time.”

“The timely beating of a scattered heart.”

“One wish.”

“An altered world.”

“How long has it been?”

“I wish... I wish I could remember...”

Celestia had even written it in the same format she had seen it in her vision. She read it again and again.

The clock on her nightstand chimed softly.

The princess looked over, noting the clock now read midnight.

“Happy Hearth's Warming...” she muttered.

She glanced to her bed, but no longer feeling an ounce of fatigue, she retrieved a small pouch from her work desk. After putting a magic forcefield around the fireplace so the fire could be safely left unattended, she rolled up the parchment with the message on it, slid it inside the pouch, tied the pouch around her neck, and made her way toward her chamber door.

The palace corridor outside the royal bedchamber was lit only by the torches mounted to the walls, and by the strands of pink, heart-shaped lights that were hung on the walls between the torches. A single wreath exactly like the one above Celestia's door was placed above each light strand. The glow from the torches and seasonal lights reflected off the marble floor, creating a gentle shimmer that blanketed the corridor from end to end, and which made the various tapestries along the walls be shown in greater clarity.

The moment Celestia had stepped out into the hall, she was greeted by two unicorns that stood near the entrance to the royal bedchamber. One was a stallion with light green fur and eyes and a grey mane and tail. The other guard was a mare with white fur, and eyes that were pink just like her mane and tail. Both were clad in dark-colored armor that covered their chest, back hooves and head except for their faces. Each carried a spear at their side, and pinned to the chest portion of their armor was a small golden shield with a blue star in the center of the crest.

“Princess Celestia,” said the mare after bowing to her. “You're up late. Are you feeling okay?”

The stallion carefully examined Celestia's weary-looking face. “Trouble sleeping again because of recent events, or just feeling peckish and need a midnight snack? Hopefully the latter.”

Celestia chuckled and dipped her head in response to her guards' greeting. “I could be better. First of all, Happy Hearth's Warming to you both.”

The guards beamed.

“And a Happy Hearth's Warming to you, Princess,” they said in unison.

“As to your question,” stated Celestia, glancing to the stallion guard, “yes to both, but more the first and less the second.”

The stallion frowned slightly. “Very sorry to hear, Princess.”

“Same,” said the mare. “That's probably true for countless ponies out there with all that's happened. I know I've had a few sleepless nights, or, days rather.”

Celestia pondered for a brief moment. “Hmm... Why don't you ponies come with me?”

The guards gazed at Celestia in surprise.

“Is it safe to leave your bedchamber unguarded?” asked the mare.

“It'll be fine,” said Celestia soothingly. “I could really use the company.”

The guards glanced at one another. After a brief moment they nodded at each other, then they bowed to Celestia once more.

“Since you're offering,” said the stallion, “we'd be very glad to accompany you, Princess.”

Celestia beamed, and with the two night guards at her sides–the stallion at her left and the mare at her right–she proceeded down the corridor in the direction of the dining hall. Each corner the trio turned led them into another hall that was decorated the same way as the one they'd started in.

The princess's mind raced from one recent event to the next as they walked, but the company of the two guards, and the almost melodic tapping of the ponies' hooves against the floor pushed those worries aside. Carefully looking sidelong at the guard ponies and hoping they wouldn't notice her looking, Celestia imagined each of them with the same radiant glow coming from their chest as the spectral ponies from her vision. The mental image helped her maintain the cheerful demeanor she had managed to piece together since she'd awoken.

“So,” muttered Celestia, “How long have the two of you been with the guard?”

“Ever since we were old enough to enlist!” proclaimed the mare as a wide grin appeared on her face. “It's been eight years. Eight long and exhausting years but we wouldn't trade it for all the bits in Equestria. Would we, bro?”

The same grin formed on the stallion's face. He gripped his spear tightly and rubbed the little golden crest on his chest plate. “Absolutely not, sis!”

Celestia blinked a few times. “You two are siblings?”

“Fraternal twins,” said the mare as she gave her brother a loving smile.

The stallion returned his sister's warm gaze then looked back to his front. “We've wanted to be in the guard since we were little. We figured, why not enlist together?”

Celestia nodded as the conversation caused her thoughts to begin to stray back to Luna. “It sounds like you two are very close. I'm very happy for you. Do you get assigned as partners often?”

The trio rounded another corner and the doors of the dining hall came into view.

“Sometimes,” said the stallion. “Tonight was a special case.”

The mare guard nodded. “With it being Hearth's Warming and all...”

The guard pony siblings suddenly stopped once the group had reached the halfway point of the corridor. Curiously, Celestia turned and watched them.

The guard ponies removed their helmets. Closing their eyes, they embraced each other and rubbed their cheeks together.

“Happy Hearth's Warming, sis,” said the stallion tenderly.

“Happy Hearth's Warming, bro,” replied the mare in the same tone.

Celestia couldn't help but smile at the sight, imagining herself and Luna in the same position. The display before her made it so neither the memory of Luna's actions a millennia prior, nor the knowledge of Luna's current predicament could dampen the warm feeling in the princess's heart. “Thank you. Both of you.”

The guards broke their embrace and put their helmets back on.

“For what?” inquired the mare, giving Celestia a confused look.

“For keeping each other close, and for helping to remind me to do the same with my own friends and family. It is that kind of mindset that will see Equestria victorious against Nightmare Moon and bring my sister back home. What are your names?”

“I'm Minnie,” said the mare.

“And I'm Donovan,” stated the stallion.

“A pleasure to meet you both.” Celestia dipped her head to them.

Wearing bright smiles, the guard siblings bowed to Celestia then followed her into the dining hall.

The spacious room was decorated in the exact manner as the corridors the ponies had just traversed through, with strands of lights lining the walls and wreaths with red ribbons above the lights. The only difference was the large tree dominating the side of the room to the ponies' right, which the tables had been rearranged to allow room for. From top to trunk, golden ribbon was wrapped around the tree as was strands of multi-colored lights. Bulbs of red and gold, and little golden star ornaments hung from the branches. Atop the tree, was a large gold star. Although the dining hall's wall torches were not lit, the decoration atop the tree glowed with an intensity that cast a serene light across the entire chamber.

Celestia took several gentle breaths while retaining her thoughts of Luna and the inspiration she felt from the guard siblings accompanying her. She shifted her attention to a set of doors with small circular windows at the opposite side of the room.

“Who's that?” asked Donovan.

Celestia furrowed her brow as she and the mare guard both looked in the direction the stallion was.

Seated alone at one of the tables in the center of the hall was a light blue unicorn mare with a white and light blue striped mane and tail. The mare's cutie mark was a crescent moon and a magic wand with a star at the tip. Her forelegs were folded on top of the table, her head was rested on her forelegs, and her eyes were closed.

“Huh,” uttered Minnie. “Looks like she's asleep.”

Celestia smiled. “Trixie.”

“You know her, Princess?”

“I know her through my student Twilight Sparkle, and Twilight's friends,” said Celestia, lowering her voice to an audible whisper. “Or at least I've begun to get to know her. She's not a Crystal Pony, but she was in the Crystal Empire when Nightmare Moon attacked.”

Celestia's smile inverted into a frown. “And, just like the Crystal Ponies, she lost everything she had. She's staying at the refugee camp.”

The guards looked to Celestia then to Trixie.

“Oh...” said Minnie, frowning and with drooped ears. “Poor thing.”

Donovan nodded, wearing the same somber demeanor as his sister. “Maybe we should go. I'd hate to wake her this time of night and add to her suffering.”

Celestia allowed her gaze to remain fixed on Trixie's passed out form. After a few moments, she grabbed one of the curtains from one of the windows along the wall and levitated it down. She draped the curtain over Trixie like a blanket then walked up to her. Keeping her magic flowing, the princess gently touched the sleeping unicorn's forehead with the tip of her horn. A semi-visible gold bubble formed around Trixie, and Celestia chuckled.

“Rest well, my little pony,” she muttered tenderly.

The guards walked up to Celestia and Trixie, both of them with renewed warmth in their countenance.

“That was so sweet of you, Princess,” said Minnie in a hushed tone. “Almost like a parent tucking their foal into bed.”

Standing at Trixie's right side, Celestia turned to face the guards and sat down. When she spoke, her voice was at its normal volume. “Seeing Trixie like this reminded me of the last time my student and her friends were here. It wasn't long after Nightmare Moon reappeared. Twilight had stayed up all night pouring through the library looking for information on the Alicorn Amulet, and she fell asleep at the table during breakfast.”

Minnie let out a soft chuckle, while her brother gazed curiously at Trixie and the gold bubble that now surrounded her.

“What is this spell you've put up?” he murmured.

“We can talk normally again,” said Celestia with a smile. “I put up a sound barrier so that our presence won't disturb her.”

“Oh, clever,” he replied with a nod. “And in her case, very helpful. This means she'll wake on her own after she's gotten the rest she needs.”

“Might have to try that on myself sometime,” said Minnie. “If I'm able to even learn the spell at all, that is. Though it's my normal schedule, sleeping during the day is very difficult at times.”

Suddenly, the kitchen doors opened and a tan unicorn mare wearing a white chef's hat entered the room. Her horn was aglow, and a glass of apple cider plus a plate with a chocolate cookie on it floated alongside her, held aloft in the unicorn's magic. Upon seeing Celestia, her eyes widened and she bowed.

“Princess!” she said. “I was not expecting to see you here at this time. Hungry, I presume? What can I get for you? Anything for your guests?”

The chef pony then noticed the passed out form of Trixie and her demeanor soured a little. “Ponyfeathers! Fresh out of my oven like she asked for and she nods off on me!”

Celestia chuckled. “I'll have it in that case and I'll owe her one.”

“Permission to eat on the job, Princess?” asked Donovan.

“In the spirit of Hearth's Warming, permission granted.” Celestia took the plate and glass from the chef pony in her own magic. She had a small sip of the cider followed by a small bite of the warm, melty chocolate cookie and hummed in satisfaction.

Donovan turned to the chef pony. “I'll have one of those yummy looking chocolate cookies like the one on that plate!”

“Me too!” cried Minnie.

Celestia glanced at Trixie for a moment. “Better make that three more in case Trixie wakes up. If she doesn't then you have it as a Hearth's Warming gift from me.”

The chef pony beamed and nodded. “Absolutely, Princess! And Happy Hearth's Warming to you all!” She bowed to Celestia then returned to the kitchen.

All was quiet within the dining hall. Celestia remained at Trixie's right side, watching her like a mother would her foal. The guard pony siblings stood nearby and embraced each other in the same manner they had out in the hall.

After a few minutes, Trixie began to stir and mumble. Her eyes crept open and she let out a yawn.

With a quick glow from Celestia's horn, the sound barrier around Trixie vanished, and the princess smiled. “Happy Hearth's Warming, my little pony.”

Trixie yawned again and sat back up, causing the window curtain the princess had draped over her to fall down the mare's back and land on the floor in a heap. She rubbed her eyes, flicked her head slightly which made her unkempt mane sway away from her face, and she blinked a few more times. “What time is it, and how long was Trixie... uh, I mean I... How long was I out for?”

“It's past midnight,” said Celestia, wrapping her large wing around Trixie and gently hugging her. “And I only got here not too long ago. You were sound asleep when we arrived.”

“We?” Trixie gave Celestia a confused look but then she noticed the guards nearby. “Oh.”

The guard ponies waved, smiling at Trixie gently.

“Greetings, Miss,” said Donovan.

“Sleep well?” asked Minnie.

“I slept...” She suddenly stopped and sniffed. She closed her eyes, sniffed again, and hummed. “What is that amazing aroma?”

Celestia blushed after taking another bite of the cookie. “Forgive me but I took the cookie and cider the chef made for you. You were out like a light and we didn't want to disturb you. I asked the chef to make you another one.”

Trixie scowled a little as she eyed the cookie and glass of cider that had been intended for her and she rubbed her tummy, but a quick second later, she grinned and gazed at the princess. “That's okay, I guess.”

The guard ponies levitated the window curtain off the ground and returned it to its proper place on the wall.

“So how did you sleep?” asked Celestia. “You started to tell us then got distracted by my being a cookie thief. I can imagine you're having trouble as well, seeing how you're in here in the middle of the night instead of back at the camp.”

Trixie nodded. “Truth be told, you are correct. It's been two weeks since the attack on the Crystal Empire but I still can't get a good night's sleep.”

The guard ponies briefly glanced at each other.

“Should we go?” asked Donovan. “We don't want to feel like we're intruding by listening in on your private affairs, Miss.”

Trixie shook her head. “You two can stay. Matter of fact, I'd actually prefer the extra company.”

She let out a deep sigh, and folding her forelegs atop the table, she rested her head down on them. “There's the earthquake, and I think about my wagon and my fireworks which are all piles of dust now. Helping care for the Crystal Ponies helps. I do like it when they crack a smile, even a little one. Rarity said to remember I'm doing it for them; doing it out of genuine compassion for how they've lost everything. I do understand that, truly I do, but I've lost everything too. I'm still allowed to be concerned about my own affairs, right?”

Celestia was silent for a few moments once Trixie had finished. “Of course you are. It never does anypony any good to completely neglect themselves.”

The kitchen doors opened again and the chef pony stepped out, levitating three glasses of steaming hot apple cider and a plate with three chocolate cookies on it. Her gaze immediately fell on Trixie. “Ah good, you're awake this time.”

Trixie's cheeks turned a soft red. “Trixie is sorry...”

The chef pony rolled her eyes before setting the plate and glasses on the table. She looked to the guards. “I took it upon myself to prepare a drink for you. Figured you'd want one eventually.”

“Thanks a million!” cried Donovan. “I really should have asked for one.”

Wearing a bright smile, Minnie wasted no time in taking a swig of her cider. “Tongue-burning hot, just the way I love it!”

Donovan grinned at his sister. “I prefer still having a working tongue after drinking mine.”

Minnie stuck her tongue out at her brother then took another gulp.

“If any of you need anything just knock.” The chef pony bowed to Celestia, nodded to Trixie and the guards, then returned to the kitchen.

Trixie grabbed her cookie in her magic. She took a single small bite, ran her hoof over the rim of her glass, then looked away at a corner of the room. “Hey, Princess... am I really doing enough to help the war effort?”

Celestia furrowed her brow. “How do you mean?”

Trixie waited for a moment before she responded. “I know I've been helping care for the Crystal Ponies, and it feels great, but I still can't shake the feeling there's something more I can do.”

“Do you mean my notice asking for volunteers for Equestria's emergency defense force?”

“Well, yes and no...”

Celestia and the guards simply stared at her.

“Like most unicorns I've seen, my magic seems limited. There aren't any magic lasers or bolts or missiles that would be useful in battle coming out of my horn. I mean limited to basic stuff like levitation.”

“You're wondering if it's possible for you to make your magic stronger, and without the use of certain... alternative measures?”

Trixie sighed and made another round over the top of her glass with her hoof. “Yes. Without resorting to using soul-sucking dark magic amulets...”

A second later, she turned and stared straight into Celestia's eyes, displaying a longing within her own. “Is it possible? Even if just to make it so I can swing a spear or sword in heated battle and not be worn out after ten minutes?”

“Everypony can build up their endurance with patience and practice.”

Trixie frowned slightly and looked down at the table. “Since we've mentioned... that thing... I have had a weird dream off and on since the Crystal Empire...”

Celestia set the last bite of her cookie down on the table in front of her. “A dream?”

“I'm standing on a beach. There's a dark forest behind me. The sky is this weird solid white and the moon is large and dark. The beach stretches to my left and right further than I can see. And in front of me is a vast ocean, but the water doesn't reflect the color of the sky, it's as dark as the moon.”

Celestia furrowed her brow.

Just like the area from my vision tonight. Did she also see...?

“Here's where it gets really freaky,” Trixie continued. “There's another me, unconscious at my hooves. I try to wake this other me, but she won't. After trying for a few moments to rouse her, a third me appears some yards in front of me. She's standing in the surf, and is just staring out to sea.”

Pausing, she takes a labored breath and wipes her brow. “And... and she's wearing the Alicorn Amulet...”

Celestia's eyes widened a little, but she remained silent.

So no, she didn't. But this is still highly troubling.

“I glare at her, and as I do, she turns around and stares at me with this grin on her face. Then, she extends her hoof to me, like she's inviting me to come and join her. I charge at her, ready to pound her face out through her hindquarters.”

Donovan snickered. “Now there's an expression I haven't heard before.”

“I heard it from a friend of mine, Rainbow Dash, or at least acquaintance of mine. Don't really know if we're friends exactly. Anyway, I heard it from her when she and the other Element Bearers were badly injured in the attack on the Crystal Empire, and they had to stay in the medic tent in the refugee camp here in Canterlot for a few days. She was describing what she was going to do to Nightmare Moon once she recovered.”

“Well I like that way of describing it!”

Trixie grinned at Donovan, but her demeanor quickly reverted to its previous state, and she looked back down at the table. “Anyway, this third me in my dream that's wearing the Alicorn Amulet... She doesn't even flinch as I rush forward, she just stands there grinning at me and holding her hoof out. As I'm going, a huge wave appears and crashes upon the shore which engulfs all three of us. I always wake up at that point.”

The guard ponies stared at Trixie wide-eyed, blinking in awe but also in confusion.

“And I thought I had weird dreams,” said Minnie.

“Do you know much about dreams, Princess?” Trixie's ears flattened, and she gazed up at Celestia.

The princess peered deep into Trixie's amethyst eyes. Celestia could see fear within them; fear that could reduce a pony to tears as if their very life were in danger. Keeping eye contact with the trembling unicorn, Celestia recalled the dream with Luna and the large door inside the dark hallway. Luna had behaved exactly like Trixie described here. The grin; the invitation-like gesture with her hoof; the rigidness of her form as Celestia had tried to reach her, and all before a wave of darkness had swallowed them up. A single tear ran down Celestia's cheek. Again she draped her wing around Trixie, holding her close.

When Celestia spoke, her voice was the most comforting tone she could utilize. “I've learned a few things about dreams from Princess Luna. It sounds like you are still troubled about certain things that happened in the past. Dreams have a funny way of bringing attention to things we'd rather forget.”

“But what can I do about it?” asked Trixie. “I'm afraid that if this dream keeps happening, I'll go mad.”

“The best thing to do is keep telling yourself that you are stronger now than you were then. I know because I've been watching you since you arrived in Canterlot. You've been working really hard to help the Crystal Ponies, and I am very proud of you.”

Trixie smiled a little.

“You'll have those memories for the rest of your life. But so long as you think of them as a lesson rather than a vice, and keep working hard in your daily activities, eventually those shadows of the past will have no power over you. In addition to your help with the refugees, you've made significant progress subconsciously.”

“How so?” asked Trixie, looking confused.

“It sounds like the real you in the dream wants nothing to do with past you, hence the 'pound her face out through her hindquarters' thing.”

After a few moments, a wide grin appeared on Trixie's demeanor and she let out a hearty laugh. “I never thought about it that way before. And yeah, I do feel like that's the case. Score one for The New and Improved Trixie!”

Celestia beamed and nodded. “Score one for The New and Improved Trixie, indeed.”

Trixie looked away from the group for a moment and put her hoof to her chin. Celestia and the guard ponies watched her curiously, but a few minutes later, Trixie glanced back at them with a bright gleam in her eyes. “I just had probably the best idea I've had in years!”

“What's up?” asked Minnie.

“Princess Celestia,” said Trixie, her tone of voice brimming with confidence. “Earlier, when I said I was wondering if I was doing enough to help, well, truth is I don't feel like I am. I repeat, helping the Crystal Ponies feels great, but there is something more I can do, and I'm not talking about joining the emergency defense force.”

Celestia gave Trixie a ponderous stare and folded her wing back against her side. “What did you have in mind?”

“We still need more information on the Alicorn Amulet don't we?” She grinned. “Well I just happen to recall a certain shopkeeper I got it from, and their friend who told me the shop had it.”

“You are suggesting an official investigation?”

“I get that you need to stay here to look after things, but would you permit me to do this in your stead? All I'll need from you is a means of fast-travel and a royal order or decree or something to get them to talk. And if they try to run, then I'll know for sure something is up.”

Celestia didn't reply as she considered Trixie's proposal and she stared into her emptied glass on the table.

It's actually a really good idea, and one she came up with all on her own. I'd hate to take this away from her and hurt the confidence she's managed to rebuild. There are risks. For safety reasons I couldn't let her go alone.

Trixie and the guard ponies gazed silently at the princess as they waited.

What bothers me the most is the idea of making an official decree that somepony talk against their will. But, do I really have much choice? We need information, and if this shopkeeper in Baltimare who sold Trixie the Amulet can provide it, then it's in Equestria's best interest that he talk. The way Trixie described his hesitation to pass the Amulet along... he doesn't sound like somepony with anything to hide. His mystery friend though, whom Trixie didn't even get a look at before they were gone... It sounds all too familiar...

“Princess?” asked Trixie.

After a few more minutes of tense silence, Celestia returned her gaze to the unicorn next to her. “I was just thinking.”

“So... can I do this? Please...?”

Celestia peered once more into Trixie's eyes. Now, instead of fear, she saw conviction; a deeper longing to do everything she can to help. It cast a warm feeling throughout Celestia's entire being. For a brief moment, she imagined a bright gold and silver glow coming from inside Trixie's chest, and she was unable to keep herself from smiling.

“I can sense this means a lot to you,” said Celestia gently. “And you're right. You have my permission to do this investigation, and you have my utmost gratitude.”

Trixie beamed, her eyes began to water, and she let out a soft sniffle. “Thank you, Princess.”

“There are some stipulations.”

“Like...?”

“For starters, for your own safety, I cannot permit you to go alone. You will be escorted by some of my guards.”

Trixie nodded, and also noticed the guard siblings glance and murmur to each other.

“Second...” Celestia gave Trixie a firm but not threatening look. “I will not make an order or decree that require anypony to talk. I will simply explain what the situation is and earnestly request that cooperation be had.”

The look made Trixie gulp slightly, but she nodded again and maintained her eye contact with Celestia. “Understood, Princess.”

Celestia's demeanor softened again. “Well then, it's settled. Again let me tell you how proud of you I am. I'm sure Twilight Sparkle and all of them will be very proud of you as well.”

Trixie blushed and she rubbed the back of her head.

“Princess Celestia,” said Minnie, “my brother and I wish to volunteer as Miss Trixie's escorts in her investigation.”

Celestia and Trixie turned their attentions to them.

“May we?” inquired Donovan.

“But aren't you two in the night guard and sleep during the day?” Celestia replied. “That was the impression I got from chatting with you tonight.”

Minnie nodded. “Yes, but we can manage. We promise.”

“We can,” said Donovan. “It would be our privilege to lend our assistance.”

Trixie beamed at the guards and they returned the sentiment.

“It would save the Captain the trouble of having to pick who to send, and it's not like this would leave the night guard critically short-hooved.”

Trixie waved her foreleg above her head. “If I'm allowed some input here. This investigation was my idea after all. Not that I don't trust the other guards or anything, but since I've already met these two, I think I'd prefer they escort me instead of somepony else.”

Celestia glanced back and forth between Trixie and the guards, carefully observing the looks in their eyes. A moment later, she let out a gentle sigh and smiled. “I'll work it out with the Captain.”

“Sweet!” exclaimed Trixie. “I'll even get out there today if needed!”

Celestia shook her head and playfully nudged Trixie's shoulder with her wingtip. “On Hearth's Warming? Not going to happen! I'd love for you to be with me and the Crystal Ponies today. I was thinking of doing a great big bonfire in the camp for everypony to come and warm themselves by.”

Trixie's demeanor fell a little, but after a few more nudges to her shoulder from the princess's wing, she let out a chuckle. “Okay. Okay.”

“I also remember you saying you're a showmare. Think if I gathered up a few things you could put on a show? That might help lift everypony's spirits.”

“Well, maybe. But with my wagon and supplies gone there isn't a whole lot I can do, especially with not having much time to prepare. Also, fireworks... every show I do simply must have fireworks or we can just forget about the whole thing. After all, The Great and Powerful Trixie goes big or not at all.”

“Ooh, I love fireworks!” cried Minnie.

“I'm sure we could scrounge up some fireworks for a small show tonight,” said Celestia.

Trixie put her hoof to her chin then sighed. “Very well. Now then, what else to eat? I'm still quite hungry.”

As Trixie and the guard ponies began to converse about the plans for the evening, the investigation, other things in general, and ordered more cookies and cider when the chef mare returned, Celestia merely observed. She occasionally glanced at the guards, but her main focus was on Trixie. She watched her like a hawk. Though Trixie's mood had improved over the course of their interaction on this Hearth's Warming morning, Celestia still felt a twinge of uneasiness at the edges of her mind.

I'm glad to see her feeling better, but I'm still concerned about this investigation idea and this dream of hers. I believe she has made lots of progress in overcoming her fears and anxieties. But everything I know about magical amulets... it tells me that something as sinister and powerful as the Alicorn Amulet wouldn't get separated from its user without leaving a scar.

“Uh, Princess,” said the chef mare after several moments of waiting, “are you going to have anything more?”

Celestia snapped to attention and glanced at the chef. “Oh, yes. My apologies. I'll have some more cider and I think a jelly doughnut this time."

"What flavor?"

"Strawberry please."