• Published 20th Apr 2012
  • 986 Views, 20 Comments

Chaos Lands: The Quest For Harmony - Zoodude255



Chaos Rules Equestria, as it has for hundreds of years. Follow Starlight on her quest to find theEoH

  • ...
 20
 986

Chapter 4: Backstory and Honesty

I suppose before we continue, some explanations are required.

If you are wondering who I am, stop. It is not important who is telling you this. All you need know is that I know much about this history of Equestria. And so I have a short tale to interject here.

The Forgotten Door.

Some locks should not be opened; some doors should remain shut. The Forgotten door was one such portal. It opened into a lost dimension, a horrible one. It was a relic of the ancient days, when True Chaos ruled the land. True Chaos was not content to flip houses, or change the rain to chocolate.

True Chaos…was hungry.

And so he traveled the world, consuming everything in his path, and making slaves of the ones who agreed to serve him who wanted to live. It was then that Divinity interfered. Celestia and Luna arrived from a different world, and used their magic to separate the True Chaos into its main components.

Gluttony.

Greed.

Wrath.

Lust.

Sloth.

Envy.

And Pride.

These Elements of Chaos were subdued by the Sisters and forced into retreating into a different world. To ensure that they didn’t try to escape, Luna and Celesita placed their own special enchantment on the door; only during an eclipse could the door be opened, with the power of the two sisters combined.
So how was discord able to open the door? Simple; Celestia was dead. The enchantment of Lunas side was not strong enough to hold the door shut, and so he added his own, to make SURE only he could open it. This was a drain on his power, but it meant he could control the Elements of Chaos and summon them to do his bidding. But Discord was careful to only summon one at a time. For if several of the EoC were to meet in the outside, True Chaos would return.

And Discord, for all his jokes, was not evil. He enjoyed a good joke, and his sense of humor was warped, but True Chaos had no time for fun. He needed to eat…

(Return to Reality).

The next morning, Starlight awoke early to the sound of a bell booming 8 times. 8 o’clock. Time for some breakfast! She hopped out of bed and rang the servant’s bell. Within a short time, a white Earth pony with dark splotches on his flanks came trotting in, carrying some breakfast. Behind him trotted General Rock.

“Mornin’, Starlight. I trust yer bed was comfortable?” He grinned. His teeth had been filed to points.

“Yes, very much so. I had a great deal of sleep, and now we should go over today’s schedule.” She said.

“Very well. Shrimp, fetch the plans for the Vault.” Rock turned to the small pony. “And make it snappy!” Shrimp hurried so fast he almost stumbled on his own hooves. However, he returned within a few seconds, carrying a scroll in his mouth. Starlight unfurled it, and saw a large room, not unlike the one discord had built, with the exception of a door and…

‘What is that large orb on the celling?” Starlight queried. Rock looked over her shoulder.

“Oh that? That’s the power supply. Keeps the magic in check. It’s been here fer as long as anypony can remember.” Rock shrugged. “Discord said to make sure the Vault was underneath it. I dunno why, but I don’t question it.” He turned to go.

“Follow me, lady. We have much to see today.”

Starlight followed the stallion outside, where he led her to the site of the Vault. Several Earth ponies were already at work there, constructing the foundations. It was quick work, as there were also several unicorns helping to set the stones in place with magic.

“Well, this appears to be in order. You do a very good job of keeping your town working sir.” Starlight said to Rock. He bowed his head.

“Thank ye, my lady, but it isn’t jerst me. I’ll introduce you to the pony responsible for making sure everything gets done ‘round here.” He turned again and led her to a large villa on the far side of town.

“Crabapple? Are ya’ll in?” he called.

“What ya want?!” Came a harsh voice. “Carn’t ya’ll tell I’m busy!”

Down the stairs came a mare about the same size as Rock, if not larger. Her orange coat was also cut with many scars, and like Rock, Crabapple wore an eye patch. Unlike Rock, however, she had opted for a weapon rather than armor. A large, well-worn battle axe was secured to a leather belt she wore. She also had spurs, which Starlight guessed were part of her rank. Starlight nodded to the new pony, but Crabapple barely acknowledged her.

“Ah told ya, I’ll have them reports when I have the bandit’s heads on a spike!” She spat. As she moved her head back, Starlight noticed a peculiar piece of jewelry she hadn’t seen before. It was a necklace, not very ornate, but embedded in the gold was a large jewel in the shape of an apple. It looked so familiar.
Realization struck her like a thunderbolt. It was Honesty! Somehow, this bad tempered pony had come by honesty. Starlight knew she had to convince the other pony to give it up somehow, but Crabapple still took no notice of her.

“I understan’ Crabapple, but the King wants to know what became of them. It’s not e’ery day the Everfree Gang attacks so boldly.” Rock said.
“Ah know.” Crabapple sighed. “And its bin gittin’ worse. Last week, they took down the supports to the town water supply. Ah had to call in for a fresh supply.”

“Tough Luck, ma’am. Now, this here is Miss. Starlight.” He gestured to Starlight, and Crabapple seemed to notice Starlight for the first time. “she’s in charge of overseein’ the construction of the Vault. Now, ladies, if you’ll excuse me, Ah have ta go and see ta some urgent matters.” He bowed again and walked away, leaving the two mares standing awkwardly in the hall.
Crabapple abruptly turned and walked away, and Starlight trotted after her.

“That’s a very nice piece of jewelry you have there.” Starlight said conversationally. Crabapple looked down at it and grunted.

“Ah guess.” She paused. “What are you really here fer?”
The question threw Starlight off balance. Could this pony know about the Element she carried?

“Um..well…I’m here to oversee the building of-“

“Don’t lie tah me. I cannot abide liars. I run the courts round these parts, so dun’t cross me.” Crabapple snorted. “You’re here for more than old buildings and dead horses aren’t you?” Starlight was forced to nod.

And so Starlight told Crabapple about her fears of Discord, and the message that Twilight Sparkle had written 500 years ago, and her plan to overthrow Chaos. Crabapple listend carefully.

“And yer sure this is what you want to do? Over throw a god that has been in place for 500 years, just to prove some old pony myth true? I gotta say, miss Star, I don’t rightly like the sound of that, and normally, Ah’d be forced to report yah.”

Starlight drew in a sharp breath as she realized she had taken a huge risk trusting Crabapple. She knew nothing about this pony, and he she was, spilling out her darkest secret! But it was done, and it didn’t look like crabapple would say anything.

“Ah say normally, because Ah believe ya. I don’t know why, frankly, but Ah do. Somethin’s been bugging me as much as it’s been buggin’ you. Discord’s power is too much as is. It is time somethin’s done about it!”

“Will you help me then Crabapple?” Starlight asked.

“You betcha you’re damn fancy hooves Ah will!” She and Starlight knocked hooves. “Ah give mah word. And that, little miss, ain’t easily broken.”

It was at that moment that Gluttony broke through the wall, and hocked a louie.