• Published 20th Apr 2012
  • 987 Views, 20 Comments

Chaos Lands: The Quest For Harmony - Zoodude255



Chaos Rules Equestria, as it has for hundreds of years. Follow Starlight on her quest to find theEoH

  • ...
 20
 987

Chapter 1: Introduction to Chaos

Once Upon a time, In the Magical Land of Chaotica, there was a great King who ruled the land with an iron fist.

To maintain power, he used his magic to control the rise of the sun and moon, but also the change of seasons, the tides, and all other natural occurrences.

Though not perfect, the King was just as he was cruel. And so, the land was kept quiet, if not peaceful.

But as time went on, some of the king’s subjects began to wonder if his power was truly as great as he claimed. And so, two sisters created the Armor of Chaos; a suit designed to withstand all the chaos the great king could throw at them. The two sisters donned separate pieces of the armor and went forth to battle the king.

The Elder sister took the chest plate, while the younger sister took the headgear and leg plates. So clad, they challenged the King of Chaos to a duel of magic. Armed as they were, the King knew he had no chance of winning: the armor was too powerful, embedded as it was with enchantments. So he cheated. While the two sisters were preparing to fight him, he had an assassin creep up behind the elder sister, and kill her. The poisoned blade took her life within minutes. The younger sister, not powerful enough to wear both pieces of armor, became a statue in the Kings garden…

“And thus, the discontent was wiped out forever, and Chaotica has maintained it ever since." The young purple pony turned the final page with her magic and closed the book she had been reading. The sun was now shining overhead, but after a few seconds, the moon suddenly rose. In the darkening night, she trotted back to her room in the Chaos Castle.

“Hmmm. The Armor of Chaos. I know I’ve heard of that before. But where.”

Starlight entered her room in the tallest tower, ignoring the various glances that ponies gave her along the way. As one of the few alicorns left in Chaotica, she received her share of odd looks, but she was used to them by now.

“Scales? SCALES!!” She called. A small black and red dragon emerged from the shadows under her book shelves. His yellowed eyes blinked sideways as he looked at her.

“Whatttttt isssss it…” He hissed. “I was napping…”

“Yes, well, I have need of you. Go to my personal library and fetch me the book titled Equestria; Fact or Fiction.”

“Humph”. Scales grunted. He resented being bound to Starlight, but she was his master, as decreed by King Chaos. He went into the back room, into an even larger library, and climbed to the top of a ladder propped agaist one of the shelves. In a sealed case was a leather bound book with a gold unicorn on the front with blue gems for eyes, or rather, one eye. Scales had eaten the other one as a prank. Starlight had never found him out. He dutifully retrieved the book, and set it on the pedestal for Starlight to read.

“Hmmm, Armor of Chaos.” She muttered as she read the index. “Aha! Here it is.” She flipped through the book until she came to a chapter called the Elements of Harmony. On it was a picture of a tall white alicorn and a smaller blue one. The description of the picture was 'The Sisters who fought King Chaos.' Starlight looked both angry and sad as she gazed at the picture. She was conflicted. As the king’s most faithful student in Chaosalot, she was bound to believe he was right, and yet, there was something so happy about the two Sisters.

“Now.” She said, as she began reading, “The Elements of Harmony were the sisters first attempt to stifle the kings’ power. They represented the 6 most powerful forces known to pony kind; Magic, Laughter, Honesty, Generosity, Loyalty, and Kindness. However, when the 6 elements failed, the sisters narrowed it down to two; Magic and Power. Power encompassed all the rest of the elements, but something went wrong.”

Starlight turned the page. “The Elements were not meant to be contained in small gems, and broke free. They became 6 ponies, who used their powers to break the Kings' Power, and trap him, for what they thought to be forever. However, the King waited for the right time. After hundreds of years, a Queen of Equestria proved to be weaker than her predecessors. She wanted power; The King promised her such, and she released him. Once free, he quickly restored the land to order. Those who opposed him did not last long."

Starlight looked again at the Elements of Harmony. The gems did look fragile; but could they really have turned into ponies? It seemed unlikely. But stranger things had happened. She continued reading.

The ponies spread far and wide to hide their powers. No one knows what happened to Magic, but the rest of the powers were passed down through generations: Laughter echoed through the Colossal Hills, Kindness retreated into the Darkness of the Everfree Forest, Honesty traveled to Ponyville, Generosity went to the Diamond Caves, and Loyalty flew into the clouds, to travel the skies.” Starlight considered these facts while she pondered what to do next.

Scales yawned, and then suddenly spewed purple fire. In it was a scroll, addressed with the Royal Seal. He unrolled the scroll, but Starlight used her magic to float it over. She read the following message aloud:

“Starlight, you presence is requested in the royal chambers. The King has an urgent matter to discuss.” When she finished, Starlight re-rolled the scroll.

“Scales, I’m going to be late tonight. The King has requested my audience.” She went down the stairs, calling over her shoulder, “And be a good dragon!” Then smiled wickedly, knowing her advice would mean something would be broken when she got back.

She arrived in the throne room promptly, and bowed to the guards, who let her inside. The Chaos guard was the best in Chaotica. It had never failed, and many were handpicked by the King himself.

“Enter Starlight, the King is worried.” They said in unison as she trotted inside. There, at the far end of the room upon a throne made of skulls, pelts, and the twisted remains of the old throne, sat the King of Chaos.

You would know him better as


Discord.