• Published 11th Sep 2014
  • 5,496 Views, 335 Comments

Megas CMC - Tatsurou



The Cutie Mark Crusaders find, repair, and pilot a giant mecha from Earth's distant future, while dealing with every giant robot anime cliche in the book. This Cutie Mark Quest is a real Crusade.

  • ...
15
 335
 5,496

Prize Fighting, part 6

Sweetie carefully floated through the sea of numbers and images, mumbling 'Glorft' over and over under her breath. This seemed to keep her on a specific course. There were several times where she was almost distracted by various things that caught her interest - whether in the form of images or scrolls - but she quickly discarded the distraction since Kiva was counting on her to get what they were looking for. Maintaining her focus, she flowed along in the sea. She found that various parts of the sea had paths linking them together, and she was able to move faster along the paths than if she tried to push straight through the sea in the direction she felt she needed to go, so she stuck to the paths whenever they had her going in roughly the right direction.

Eventually, she came across a massive structure surrounded by flames, mines, and what looked remarkably like gun turrets. Strange drone constructs also patrolled it. When she mumbled 'Glorft' under her breath again, she felt herself pulled towards the structure. "Kiva, I think I've found something," she spoke up firmly, hoping her voice would carry to Kiva...wherever she was relative to her. "It's...I don't know how to describe it..."

"I can't really see it from here," Kiva explained calmly. "I was able to see that information on Astral Projection earlier. Up until now, I've only seen a few odd hyperlinks that streamed by rapidly."

"Hyperlinks?" Sweetie asked curiously. "That must have been those paths I was on. It made getting here much faster when I ran along them instead of floating through...and I touched the scroll about Astral Projection..."

"Perhaps you could touch what you're looking at?" Kiva suggested thoughtfully.

"I don't think that'd be a good idea," Sweetie countered, eyeing one of the drones. "It's...pretty secure."

There was a brief pause and some odd static. "Mora asks if you can take a picture of it," Kiva translated after a time.

"Picture?" Sweetie asked, confused. "I don't have a camera-" To her surprise, a camera appeared in her forehooves. "Oh! There we go." Aiming it carefully, she snapped the picture. "Did that help?"

There was silence for a time. "...Sweetie, I don't know how you managed it...but you're at the military processing center for the entire Glorft civilization. If we can get information out of it without detection, we'll know everything about the Glorft. Everythi-"

Sweetie blinked as Kiva was cut off and everything slowed down. "Kiva?" she asked in confusion.

A message popped up in front of her, seemingly projected from her horn.

External communication lost. Forced disconnect anticipated. Quantum acceleration in place. One minute personal time until forced disconnect.
Warning: forced disconnect will cause disorientation, loss of equilibrium, or enforced separation.
Engage emergency recall to body? Time to return, 20 seconds personal time.

Sweetie stared in shock. Based on the countdown, if this was right she had maybe another 20 seconds before she would be too late to get back to her own body. "But...but it took so long to get here-"

The message changed as the spot on which she stood briefly pulsed.

Incognito bookmark placed. Emergency recall to body?

She didn't know what an 'incognito bookmark' was, but she'd just have to ask Kiva and hope it was good news. "Do it!" The world vanished.


Scootaloo waited calmly in the cockpit of Megas, waiting for the next match to start. She knew getting so confrontational with Magnanimous after he had come to try and make her take a fall. It was likely unwise to bring up her friends as she did, too. She told herself she did it to try and protect them, but she couldn't help but think it somehow put a bullseye on their backs-

"Scootaloo, come in!" Kiva suddenly called out over the comm link as her face appeared.

"Kiva?" Scootaloo gasped in shock. "What is it?"

Kiva started to say something, only to be cut off as the signal was lost. Manganimous then appeared on the screen. "I gotta admit, I'm impressed," he said calmly. "I expected you to be atomized by now-"

"Is this the part where ya've got Kiva and Sweetie Belle in some sort of death trap and are tryin' ta compel Scoot ta throw the fight ta save them?" Apple Bloom interrupted dryly. "Ah hope yer at least gonna announce that it's the 'underhanded tactics' of our next opponent tryin' ta 'break our fightin' spirits' at the start o' the match Scoot's supposed ta throw. It'd be real disappointin' if Trixie back home could put on a better show than someone with an audience multi-star wide."

Magnanimous blinked a few times. He then smiled disarmingly. "Now why would you possibly believe I would-"

"If Apple Bloom gave you the idea to spin it that way, do you really think I'd believe it when you told me right after she suggested it?" Scootaloo pointed out flatly.

"You know, even genre savvy adults are willing to play along," Magnanimous countered acidly. "You kids are taking all the fun out of this." The communication cut.

Scootaloo sighed as she watched the new terrain take shape, a rocky landscape with a few trees and stone arches. The far gate to the arena opened, revealing a mecha in samurai armor...which quickly became five.

"Ladies and Gentlemen!" Magnanimous announced to the audience. "Megas' next opponent is the Samechrai Brothers...but it seems they've lost the path of honor! Behind the backs of this establishment, they have captured friends of Megas' pilot and suspended them over...the Quantum Singularity!" A spotlight shone down on a glass cage containing Kiva and a disoriented Sweetie Belle, suspended over a swirling black vortex contained between several pylons emitting a containment field. "The little pony must now choose between her friends' well-being, or the Championship!"

Scootaloo's eyes narrowed angrily as the audience booed this development. "Why that..."

"Clever," Apple Bloom murmured. "If we fight, we lose the crowd appeal. If we throw the fight, he can eliminate the other guy next round and the crowd'll cheer him."

"Or I can do what the switch says!" Scootaloo snapped as she reached forward and flipped the 'Get Peeved' switch.

"Scoot, what will activatin' the magic combat systems do?" Apple Bloom demanded as circuitry within Megas shifted. "It's not like it's gonna give you a magic button ta press to save Sweetie and Kiva!"

Scootaloo blinked as the buttons on the control panel moved around, and one revealed a new label. "Uh...you mean like a button labeled 'Anti Friend-Eating Quantum Singularity'?"

"...well that's convenient," Apple Bloom murmured thoughtfully. "Think it'll work?"

"Only one way to find out!" Scootaloo declared as she brought her hoof down hard on the button.

Megas leapt out of the arena to grab hold of the pylons emitting the containment field. A fist reared back and punched through the pylon, making the field there fail. The singularity whirled as the gravity emitted started to pull Megas in...and the chest of Megas opened into a frighteningly organic looking mouth filled with vicious looking teeth, spreading until it utterly enveloped the singularity before slamming closed and pulling back to the normal configuration. The front panel of Megas' chest shifted back and forth organically with an odd crunching sound before settling back to normal. A massive belch sound effect echoed from the machine.

Kiva stared down at the mech in shock. "...how?" she managed to gasp out just barely.

"...the fuck did I just watch?" Magnanimous spoke over the loudspeaker.

"Hey!" one of the female audience members shouted loud enough to be heard, a green-furred fox-like humanoid female in a white dress. "Language! There are children present!"

"Oh shut up!" Magnanimous snapped back. "After what we just saw, that was totally called for!"