• Published 3rd Apr 2015
  • 1,824 Views, 46 Comments

Crystal Protector - Honest Wisdom



Long Before Equestria there was the Crystal Empire and the Crystal Heart, fueled by the love and light of it's Citizens. But where did it come from?

  • ...
7
 46
 1,824

Hatred Wilts

Hatred Wilts

'Though you dwell in the Night, do not fear the Day for it brings life.
Though you live in the Day, do not fear the Night for it protects you from the flaming sun.'
~The Princess of the Night, addressing the Night Guard. Pre-Nightmare Moon

Sombra popped open the cage and lifted out another rat. The rat munched on some grass pellets as Sombra began to transfer a small sliver of his magic into the rodent. It immediately let out an inequine shriek and squirmed. It's paws turned black and it's body began to warp into some horrifying mockery of a rat. It's eyes turned blood red and it's teeth sharpened to needles. Sombra jotted down some notes as he levitated the shrieking rat into another cage filled with similar monstrosities. "The mutation seems to remain consistent throughout each transformation. They seem to getting along well enough... scratch that, they've begun cannibalizing each other. Lucky me, I have Zombie Rats."

He rubbed his eyes and sighed, ignoring the grotesque carnage happening right beside him. "The mutation moves too quickly for there to be any significant breakthroughs. Stars, this is exhausting." A throbbing pain traveled down his horn and he growled. It's getting worse. He closed his notebook, turning back to the last living Mutated Rat. It was gnawing on the bones of one of its brethren, its body pulsing and changing still. "Time to dispose of you." With a flick of his horn, he snapped the creatures neck.

"So fragile." Silk chirped from the doorway. Her blue eyes flicked between the unicorn and the cage. "At least you aren't experimenting on Ponies."

"That's likely to change." He murmured, floating the mutated rat and a few surgical tools over.

Silk suddenly appeared right beside him. Her wings draped over him like a cloak. "You have something, right... there." She booped him on the snout. His eyes crossed as he focused on the blue crystalline hoof pressed against his snout. Her magic was always leaking out, making ponies more agreeable, but this was a direct dose of pure love magic straight to his system leaving him a bit lightheaded.

He blushed, scowling at the overly affectionate pegasus. "What was that for?"

"For you to to lighten up. Come on, there's going to be a party in your honor with pretty mares, booze and guards wearing ceremonial armor, that's like, your top three favorite things." Silk leaned against him, her back hooves helping support her weight. She scrunched up her nose. "You need a bath, you smell like something died.... wait."

The resulting silence was broken by a sudden bark of laughter from Sombra. Silk smiled and joined in, noting his shortening fangs


Twilight rubbed her horn wistfully. Not being able to use magic was a huge pain. Spike was still helping Rarity look for quills and ink. The fashionista was inspired by the palace interior and was determined to make them all new dresses once they got home. Applejack was staring down the door. A pair of Sombra's guards had escorted them back to their rooms and currently stood just outside. Pinkie was stuffing her face with treats that were brought by some anxious maids whose names Twilight could not remember. "I don't understand why He's letting us walk around."

Fluttershy looked up. "Well... maybe... possibly... he might not be as bad as we thought."

"What!?!" Applejack broke her vigil by the door.

"What?!?" Twilight nearly jumped out of her seat.

"Mrfff!!!!" Pinkie exclaimed, chewed up pastry spraying out of her mouth. She swallowed it all in a single gulp and licked the remaining icing off her face. "What?!? How could you even think that!?! He was all 'Grrr, Crystals! Slaaaves!' And the Crystal Ponies were all," She grabbed a pair of cupcakes and moved them about to mimic speech. "'Oh, no! It's meanie pants King Sombra! Run!' and then he swooped in and laughed evilly 'Bwahahaha!! I'mma gobble up the Crystal Heart, then I'mma gobble you!' 'Noooo!'" Pinkie then proceeded to eat a heart-shaped cookie. "Ohm nom-nom-nom!"

Twilight took a moment to Recover from Pinkie Pie's... Pinkieness. "He threatened to throw me out of a tower and the Crystal ponies were terrified to the point where they didn't even want to remember what happened to them. While I doubt he eats other ponies he's still a bad Pony."

Fluttershy flinched from the sudden"I'm not saying he's good, just, maybe... a little teensy tiny bit... misunderstood. I mean, he could've killed us, but he didn't. I mean, he's fed us and let us bathe. I mean, if he planned on hurting us that seems like a waste of time."

"Why don't we just ask one of the Crystal Ponies what happened?" Applejack huffed.

Twilight bobbed her head in agreement. "That sounds like a good idea, Why don't we ask the two maids the next time we see them?" The Rest of the Girls agreed and settled down around the table. Heh, Sombra being good, that's about as silly as Celestia being an Evil Mastermind. She imagined a caped Celestia wearing a fake mustache and twirling it evilly. She stifled a giggle a the thought and made a mental note to apologize profusely -with cake- once they escaped.


Rarity worked quickly.

Some how- Spike wasn't about to ask questions- she'd managed to make several brand new dresses for each of the Element Bearers that both complimented their personalities and remained fairly simple as opposed to her normally extravagant work. That was mostly to cut down on time but it didn't keep her from whining over the fact that she was unable to whip something up suitable for royalty.

Twilight looked determined as opposed to Fluttershy who seemed to be attempting to shrink into the ground. Applejack was admonishing Pinkie for bouncing around in her dress. Rarity looked just as lovely as she always did, and was fussing with her mane. "It's such a shame I couldn't find any makeup, I suppose this will have to do."

Twilight rolled her eyes. "Rarity, He's Evil."

"Oh of course, but that's no reason to be disrespectful. He's still King of the Empire. Perhaps..." She smiled mischievously at Fluttershy. "He just needs a little push in the right direction." Fluttershy squeaked.

"Are you suggesting that Fluttershy try to use her Stare on him?" Twilight asked. "That might work." She tapped a hoof against her chin and wondered how likely it would be to succeed.

Rarity sighed. "That wasn't what I meant." She said, raising an eyebrow.

Twilight turned bright red, while Spike remained clueless. "Nope nope nope." She shook her head. "Not gonna happen."

Rarity pouted. "But Twilight, Think about it. The cold-hearted tyrant falling for a lowly peasant girl. She is the only one who can sooth the pain of his past. Their love facing many challenges before they can be wed." Rarity swooned at the idea. "Isn't that just the most romantic thing you've ever heard?"

Twilight opened the door and smiled at the two Crystal Guards that stood there. "We're ready."

"This conversation isn't over." Rarity huffed.


Sombra glanced out the window and saw the sun setting in the horizon. The sunlight glinted off the Empire's buildings. It was a beautiful sight that would push a pony to tears. And yet he felt... nothing. Silk lounged on a cushion nearby He turned his attention to the doors as they swung open. His attention was quickly drawn to the fact that they were all wearing dresses. He couldn't help but chuckle.

The yellow pegasus squeaked and hid behind the one named Twilight. Twilight simply glared at him. She seems to be very defiant. "I would like to apologize." All of the mares looked surprised at this. "I was not acting myself yesterday, please, sit."

Twilight took the seat across from him while the pink earth pony and the yellow pegasus to the seats on either side of her. A small purple dragon set a cushion down next to Twilight and joined in on the glaring. "Be that as it may, King Sombra, we still aren't very inclined to trust you."

"I don't require your trust. I will not be returning you to your princess however." They all stared at him in shock. "If I do that she'll have no reason to hold back, will she? I'm thinking about my own safety here, dying is a very uncomfortable experience." He lifted his wineglass to his lips and took a sip. Silk kicked him under the table, maintaining an amicable smile for the five mares .

The Orange one slammed her hoof against the table. "So yer just gonna lock us up in some posh room and take us away from our lives and families!"

"Applejack," Twilight hissed.

"You will be allowed to leave your room of course. If you wish to leave the castle you'll have to be escorted by either Silk or a group of guards. I won't keep you from sending letters to your families, I'd hate for them to grieve for you while you're still alive." Sombra continued. The girls all attempted to come to terms with this development. "I'm very sorry it has to be this way..."

"Like hell you are." The dragonling jumped off his cushion and onto the table. Green flame trickled from his maw. "You're a monster! You oppress the Crystal ponies and enjoy their misery. You locked us up because we dared to make a stand and then you turn around and start dangling freedom just out of our reach. You don't feel sorry for anything. It's all just."

Silence. Silk twitched beside him, obviously uncomfortable with the silence. Sombra sat up straighter in his chair and sipped his wine. "You're right, I am a monster. I came to terms with that fact a long time ago. I am not sorry that you won't see your family again. Think of me what you will, but that does not change the fact I am not going to harm any of you or set you free. I have no reason to do either."

The Dragon growled and was pulled back to his cushion by Twilight. She looked him in the eye. "Thank you." She said.

He blinked. "For what?"

"For promising not to hurt us, Silk says you keep your promises." The White one answered for her.

He wasn't sure how to respond to that.

Author's Note:

No one tell Fluttershy what goes on in that Lab... :twilightoops:

Explanation: Silk's Love magic- is directly proportional to either how much ambient love there is(A large group of friends, a young couple, family) or how much love she herself feels. The Former greatly affects the latter. When she's surrounded by powerful love she herself becomes much more affectionate towards others.

Rarity stop shipping. That's my job:twilightangry2:
Braids are hard.