• Published 21st Dec 2014
  • 3,774 Views, 535 Comments

A Dream of Sunny Days - Roranicus



When Princess Celestia dies, a new ruler must take up the throne, but the princess is not easily replaced. Five ponies are sent to the different corners of Equestria in an attempt to save their broken nation.

  • ...
13
 535
 3,774

IX Applejack

A few heads turned in Applejack's direction as she entered town hall, but for the most part she was left ignored. She stormed toward the central desk where Tall Order, the mayor's assistant, sat. He adjusted his small, round glasses and moved his gray mane away from his face as he read a report.

"Mayor's expecting me," Applejack said as she passed the desk.

"You can't just barge in there," Tall Order protested, taking his eyes away from his work and raising a gray hoof.

Applejack ignored him as she opened the door to the mayor's office. Mayor Mare was sitting behind her own desk, going through paperwork.

"So? What's with the cloud shipment?" Applejack asked flatly, staring at the mayor.

She heard Tall Order's voice from behind her. "I'm sorry Madam Mayor. She just barged in-"

Mayor Mare raised a hoof. "It's fine, Order. I was expecting her." She took a deep and met Applejack's eyes. "I take it the pegasi still do not have the necessary rainclouds?"

"Not a single one," Applejack replied while shaking her head. "In fact, we haven't heard anything from Cloudsdale. Crops will be ruined if we don't get rain soon."

"Hmm, this is troublesome," the mayor said with a frown. "Close the door please. I think we have some serious measures to consider."

"You can say that again," the farm pony replied as she closed the office's wooden door. She took a breath before turning back toward Ponyville's mayor. "So, any idea what we can do, Miss Mayor? I'll tell you right now, I talked to some of the other farmers and we can't wait much longer. We need rain if we wanna feed the town."

"I sent Derpy to Cloudsdale to see what the holdup is, since they haven't replied to any of my letters," Mayor Mare explained. "I wrote a letter to the royal council in Canterlot as well. Perhaps you could ask Rarity for help? She's still on the council, isn't she?"

Applejack sighed as she sat down on a chair in front of the mayor's desk. Rainbow's letter had asked to keep the Cloudsdale military buildup quiet. In fact, the pegasus wasn't even supposed to have told her friends. Still, this was weeks ago, and now ponies were suffering because of it. Sorry, Rainbow, but everypony deserves the truth.

"Look, Miss Mayor. I think I have an idea of what's wrong in Cloudsdale," Applejack said, gazing down at the desk.

"Oh?" Mayor Mare asked, raising an eyebrow.

Applejack took off her stetson and held it close to her chest. "Look, I may not have been entirely honest with you. Remember when I told you Rainbow had left for Cloudsdale to look for clues? I left a part out. You see, Cloudsdale's building up an army, and they asked Rainbow to join."

The mayor adjusted her glasses and gave Applejack a cold stare. "You mean to tell me Cloudsdale has been building an army in secret, that Rainbow Dash is part of said army, and that you thought it was a good idea to keep the truth from everypony?"

"I'm sorry, Miss Mayor, I really am," Applejack replied. "There were so many times I wanted to tell you. Only thing that kept me from it was that letter Rainbow got, asking her to join. Spitfire specifically asked her to keep things quiet."

"And you value Spitfire's request over your hometown? I understand that you want to stay loyal to your friends, but I deserve more honesty than this, Applejack."

The farm pony shook her head. "I'm the first pony Rainbow went to after getting the letter. She came to me for advice and we talked about it for a long time. She wasn't supposed to tell anyone, Miss Mayor, but she told me. I couldn't just break her trust like that. I dunno about all this hush-hush stuff, but there's got to be a good reason for keeping things quiet."

Mayor Mare sighed loudly. "Like it or not, Applejack, you are an important part of this community. Ponies look up to you, and I do admit that I can't manage this town as efficiently without you and your friends."

"I know that, and again, I'm sorry," Applejack continued.

"I'm not finished," the mayor interrupted, raising her hoof. "I asked you to stay because I want us to work together and keep this town running. I know how much you care about Ponyville, and I'm not accusing you of willingly harming us."

"But?" Applejack asked, wincing at the expected accusation.

"But you need to trust me," the mayor explained, her tone softening. "I may not have saved the world multiple times with the power of harmony, but I'm the elected mayor of this town. When it comes to the safety and well-being of Ponyville, I need you to be as honest with me as you'd be with Rainbow Dash or Rarity."

Applejack picked up her hat and fiddled with it. "You're right, Miss Mayor. Ponyville's safety comes first, and I should have been straight with you. I suppose all this princess business is still new to all of us. Seems like only yesterday we were just a bunch of good friends. Anyway, I'll be honest with you from now on. What do you wanna know?"

"For starters, what's going on in Cloudsdale?"

"The Wonderbolts are building an army in secret, and Rainbow's joined them. That's all I know," Applejack said. "We all agreed there had to be some reason behind it all, and that it might give us a clue as to where Twilight is, or maybe where Luna is. Rainbow hasn't written back though, so there's no way to know if she learned anything."

"And do you have any idea where Twilight or Luna might be?"

"Not a clue," the farm pony continued, shaking her head. "Rarity's probably still asking questions in Canterlot. Fluttershy went to see if Discord has any clues, and Pinkie's off to ask Princess Cadance. Only news I got is this letter from Pinkie yesterday. Apparently Twilight's alive but behind some magic shield thingy. I showed the letter to Zecora, too, but even she didn't know how we could find her."

"So nothing has changed, has it?" the mayor asked, her face locked in a frown. "We have no idea where Twilight is, or why she disappeared?"

Applejack stared down the table with a sigh. "I guess we're not doing so well without Twilight."

Mayor Mare's eyebrows relaxed as a comforting smile formed on her muzzle. She stood and walked toward the farm pony. "I'm sure your friends are doing fine," she said as she placed a tan hoof on Applejack's shoulder. "You can't put the weight of the world on your shoulders, Applejack. Twilight is a princess — she'll have the royal guards and all the Canterlot unicorns looking for her. Aren't Ponyville and Sweet Apple Acres enough to worry about?"

Applejack took a long breath, put her hat back on, and nodded at the mayor. "Alright. So what do we do about this cloud shortage, Miss Mayor?"

The mayor put her glasses back on and quickly brushed her gray mane with her hoof. "Right, the cloud shortage. At this point, waiting on Cloudsdale seems pointless. I believe we should start producing our own rainclouds locally. We will have to carefully ration them, of course. Rain will be centralized onto sensible locations."

"I'll make sure every farmer in Ponyville is aware and plans accordingly," Applejack said with another nod.

"Good," the mayor replied. "I'll put out the word amongst the local pegasi that we're looking for volunteers for cloud production."

"And you'll want me out there, endorsing it all and keeping folks together?"

"You read my mind, Applejack."

The farm pony smiled weakly. "Good, hopefully we'll be able to save the crops in time."

"We will," the mayor replied with a smile of her own. "Now, I wanted to talk to you about the Palace of Harmony. I'm not sure it's wise to keep it unoccupied for-"

Mayor Mare was interrupted by rapid banging on her office door.

"Please, the mayor is busy!" Tall Order's muffled voice said.

Mayor Mare rolled her eyes and trotted to the door. "What is this commotion about?" she asked as she opened it.

Applejack suppressed a chuckle as she saw Applebloom wresting Tall Order in front of the office's entrance. The office clerk and young filly were entangled in one another, both pushing each other in an attempt to get back on their hooves.

"I'm sorry, Miss Mayor, but this filly just keeps insisting on seeing her sister," Tall Order said as he got up, brushing dust off his coat.

Applejack bit her lip, swallowing her amusement. "Applebloom, you know better than to force your way into the mayor's office."

"Sorry Applejack," the filly replied, "but it's an emergency! Braeburn just galloped all the way from Appleoosa, and he has a buffalo lady with him. Granny Smith said to get you right away."

"Calm down, there, little filly," Applejack said as she took a few steps toward her little sister. "What's Braeburn doing here in Ponyville?"

Applebloom took a second to catch her breath. "He said Appleoosa is in danger. Something about changelings!"

"Horseapples," Applejack muttered as she turned toward the mayor.

Mayor Mare gave her a nod. "Go. If there are changelings in Appleoosa, they could be heading for Ponyville next."

"I'm more worried about my family in Appleoosa for now," Applejack said with a frown.

Applejack rushed out of town hall with Applebloom in tow. She galloped straight toward her family's farm, dodging food carts and passing ponies along the way, only slowing down when her little sister had to catch up.

"So who's that buffalo you were talking about?" Applejack asked as she ran.

"Her name is Little Strongheart. Braeburn says she's one of your friends, too."

"That can't be. I saw her just a few weeks ago in..." Applejack never finished as she considered the implications. Could Braeburn have unknowingly brought a changeling to Ponyville? Maybe it was even worse, and both of them were really impostors. "Come on, Applebloom, let's step it up," she yelled behind her as she accelerated her pace.

It did not take long for the two sisters to arrive at Sweet Apple Acres. Big Macintosh's plow lay in the middle of a field, mostly left untiled.

Applejack burst open the door to the family house. "What happened? Is everypony alright?"

All eyes turned toward her. "Applejack!" Braeburn exclaimed as he turned toward her, wincing in pain as he tried to get up from the couch he was sitting on.

"Now, now, you've been galloping all the way from Appleoosa!" Granny Smith argued from her rocking chair. "Don't you move that caboose none, now."

"Great galoshes!" Applejack gasped. "You came all that way on your own four hooves?"

"To avoid attention in Appleoosa, yes," Little Strongheart explained from a cushion at the foot of the central table. "Both Braeburn and I discussed it. We don't want to risk the changelings knowing we're on to them. Boarding the train would have meant passing through town."

Applejack made her way to one of the larger couches. Big Macintosh moved aside so she'd have room to sit. "Alright, I think you better start from the beginning," she said, her eyes locked on Braeburn. Let's just hope I'm not listening to a couple of changelings.

Braeburn took a deep breath and nodded at his buffalo companion. "It all started when I noticed Sheriff Silverstar acting a bit strange," the yellow stallion began. "It was just little things. He wasn't as sociable as usual, ignoring ponies as they waved at him. He used to drink his coffee with at least three spoonfuls of sugar, but I caught him drinking it black. It took a few days for me to get suspicious."

"Hmm, sounds fishy, but not really a reason to suspect changelings," Applejack said with a frown as she settled more comfortably on the couch.

"You're right," Braeburn said. "At first, I just tried spending more time around him, see if anything was wrong. He didn't want any of it, being downright rude whenever I questioned him. At that point, I was worried for my friend, nothing more. One thing that got me nervous though was him going out into the desert late at night."

"Meeting other changelings," Big Macintosh suggested.

Little Strongheart nodded. "There's plenty of caves and other secret spots out there. Perfect places to hide."

"That's exactly what I found," Braeburn continued. "I followed him all quiet like, kept my distance and all. I was pretty surprised when he left town. I first thought he was going to the buffalo lands," Braeburn tipped his head in Little Strongheart's direction, "but he just headed to an abandoned shack. That's where he met up with three changelings."

"And what happened next?" Applebloom asked. She had been sitting by herself in a corner, munching on an apple.

"After that, I ran straight to Little Strongheart," Braeburn said, looking down at his hooves. "I didn't know who I could trust in Appleoosa. First time I'd even seen those bugs. I knew nopony in town could be trusted after what I'd seen."

Little Strongheart got up and placed a hoof on Braeburn's back. "I suggested we go to Ponyville and get help. The buffaloes have never met changelings before; we don't know how to recognize them. I was hoping somepony in Ponyville could help."

Applejack was about to speak but her little sister's voice interrupted her. "If anypony can find a changeling, it's my sister Applejack! She fought an entire army of them in Canterlot!"

"Then we did the right thing coming here," Braeburn said with a wide smile.

"We're certainly not going to deny anypony in need, let alone family," Granny Smith added.

"Eyup," Big Macintosh confirmed.

Applejack brought her hoof to her chin and frowned. "I certainly don't wanna leave Appleoosa in trouble, but dealing with a changeling invasion ain't gonna be easy. We don't even know how many there are."

"So you're not even going to try?" Applebloom asked.

"I didn't say that. I just don't want to rush blindly," Applejack replied as she got up abruptly. "We need to know exactly what we're up against, how many bugs are out there, and what their plans are."

Big Macintosh nodded his head. "Eyup."

Applejack started pacing back and forth, looking around the room. Her eyes finally settled on Little Strongheart. "First things first. Why come here? An ambassador like you, you must have plenty o' friends in Canterlot. How long have you been back in Appleoosa anyway?"

"About two weeks," the buffalo replied, meeting Applejack's gaze. Was this hesitation in her eyes, or were Applejack's suspicions getting the better of her? "As for why I'm here, Ponyville is closer to Appleoosa than Canterlot. I probably should have headed there, but ever since Princess Celestia passed away, it's hard to even get noticed, let alone find any sort of help. That's why I returned to my people in the first place."

Applejack frowned. Or maybe the real Strongheart is still in Canterlot. She gulped and forced a comforting smile. "Well, either way, I suppose you both want some rest. You're free to stay here for a few nights, get your strength back while we figure out how to deal with them critters back in Appleoosa."

"I'll show you to the guest room," Big Macintosh offered.

Applejack interposed herself between her brother and their two guests. "Actually, the guest room is in pretty bad shape," she said as she shook her head and forced a smile.

"It is?" Applebloom asked.

"Yup! Better you stay in Applebloom's room for tonight," she continued.

"They what now?" The filly asked again.

"Why don't you sleep at Sweetie Belle's tonight?" Applejack suggested, nuzzling her little sister on the head while meeting eyes with Granny Smith.

The older pony answered with a wink. "Right, the guest room is in such a mess. I'm sure you wouldn't mind staying with your little friend for tonight. Big Macintosh can check up on you tomorrow when he comes to town for the apple deliveries."

"Eyup," the stallion acquiesced.

"I guess," the filly said with a shrug. "Me and the crusaders did plan on writing about how much we still love Princess Luna in the Foal Free Press. We can do that tonight."

"Consarn it Applebloom! Don't get involved with this stuff!" Applejack snapped, glaring at her little sister.

"But sis, why not? We all know she's innocent!" the filly argued with a pout.

"We'll talk about it later. Go see your friends for now, and please, don't get involved," Applejack continued, staring at Applebloom with pleading eyes.

"Fine," Applebloom said, rolling her eyes as she made her way outside.

Applejack turned toward her guests with a wide, hospitable smile. "Braeburn, Little Strongheart, why don't the two of you get settled? Big Macintosh can show you to Applebloom's room, and I'll drop by in a little while to check up on you."

"Sounds good, thanks cuz," Braeburn replied as he slowly got up.

Applejack waited for her brother and their two guests to reach the top of the stairs, following them with her eyes. As soon as they were out of sight, her forced smile made way to a frown. She sighed heavily as she walked toward her grandmother.

"Alright, youngin," Granny Smith said with a frown, "I played along. Now you mind telling me what the giddyup that was all about with the guest room?"

Applejack looked down and took a deep breath before meeting her granny's gaze. "I just wanted Applebloom out of the house. I... I don't want her in here with a changeling under our roof."

"What?" Granny Smith asked as she slapped Applejack behind the head, making her hat fall off. "You're letting one of them critters in here? I thought I raised you better than that, silly filly."

Applejack picked up her hat and held it firmly in her hooves. "I'm sorry, Granny, and I won't do anything to put the family in danger. I just need to prove that Little Strongheart is a changeling. I'll stay up tonight, keep an eye on them both. Only way I can get some answers."

"At least you got the decency to get your sister out of the house," Granny Smith replied as she settled back in her rocking chair. "Now move your caboose and go check on your 'guests'. I don't want your brother alone with that bug."

"Yes Granny," Applejack said with a gulp. She had to act fast. She and her friends were used to this kind of danger by now, but her family never signed up for any of this. She hurried upstairs — she had to be a good host, after all.


The incessant "tick-tock" of the clock in Applejack's room kept her awake. The farm pony lay on her bed, staring at the ceiling with her eyes wide open. Even if she had wanted to sleep, she couldn't. Saying she'd keep an eye on Little Strongheart was one thing; doing it was quite another. What was she to do? Listen at the door all night? Hide under the bed and hope to see the buffalo transform into a bug?

Was she even right in her suspicion? Everything Little Strongheart said could be true. Leaving the capital made sense. So did the buffalo's doubts that the royal guards would do anything for the residents of Appleoosa. Applejack had enough relatives living on the frontier to know small towns often had to fend for themselves — help from the capital would always arrive too late, if it came at all.

Applejack got up with a grunt and slowly walked toward the open window. The brisk night air caressed her cheek as Luna's moon illuminated the night sky. Applejack's ear twitched as she thought she heard a sound. She turned her head in the general direction of the mysterious noise only to find one of the cows on a midnight stroll. She sighed as she stood on her back legs and leaned on the window frame.

Applejack had lost track of time when she heard a much more definite cracking sound coming from her right. Darn it, that's Applebloom's room! She carefully got back on her four hooves and slowly moved toward the door. Consarn this old, creaky floor, she thought as the aging wood betrayed her attempt at remaining quiet.

She pushed her bedroom door open inch by inch. Some mumbling came from the next room, but she couldn't make out the words. What she saw, however, was a faint green glow coming from underneath Applebloom's door.

"Oh no you don't, you filthy bug." The words escaped her muzzle without her even realizing it.

Applejack's blood boiled. How dare this creature impersonate a friend and come into her home? To hay with this. She galloped to the door and bucked it open. "Get your fangs off my cousin, you monster!"

Little Strongheart was standing in front of the bed, where Braeburn still slept. She jumped and turned toward Applejack, her mouth agape. "I... I did not mean to offend," she said in a weak voice.

The farm pony trotted inside the room. Braeburn slowly opened his eyes and turned toward her, apparently still half asleep. As for Little Strongheart, she took a hesitant step backwards, away from the raging earth pony.

"Drop the act," Applejack continued as she moved in front of the buffalo and poked her sharply in the chest. "I know you're a changeling in disguise!"

The buffalo looked around in panic. The likeness was almost perfect; this was exactly how Little Strongheart would react to the situation. "P...please, Applejack. I'm not a changeling. I would never do anything to hurt Braeburn!"

"What were you doing next to the bed? What was that green light?" Applejack asked fiercely as she angrily pushed Little Strongheart against the wall. The earth pony's eyes stared at the buffalo's, searching for the slightest hesitation.

"Green light?" Little Strongheart asked, breathing erratically. "I don't know what you're talking about. As for why I was standing... I couldn't sleep. This trip, it's been so difficult for him. I was worried about him, nothing more. Please, don't throw me out!"

"Now, what's going on in here?" Big Macintosh's deep voice startled Applejack, who turned her head toward the large, red stallion. He was standing in the doorway, studying the situation, his eyes still half-closed.

"Big Mac," Applejack said, her head turning back and forth between her brother and the buffalo. "I saw some green light coming from under the door. I was right. She's a changeling!"

"Big Macintosh, please, you have to believe me!" Little Strongheart pleaded. "I'm not one of those creatures. I don't understand why your sister is making these accusations."

The large stallion turned his head toward the now awake Braeburn, who was rubbing his eyes. "And what do you think, cousin?" Big Macintosh asked.

Braeburn got up with a grunt. He took a sip from a nearby glass of water before answering. "I dunno what gave you this ridiculous idea, AJ, but Little Strongheart ain't no changeling. She helped me get to Ponyville in one piece, and believed me when nopony else would."

Applejack looked from one stallion to the other. Both stared at her with the same accusatory eyes. "None of you believe me, do you?" she asked in a deadpan tone.

A single "Nope" from Big Macintosh was all the answer she received.

She slowly let go of the buffalo, taking a few steps back, but still unable to meet anypony's eyes. Could she have been wrong all along? No, the green light had been unmistakable. Little Strongheart returning to her people, that was also too convenient. Things didn't add up. Could they have replaced Big Macintosh too? Shucks, maybe I'm being paranoid.

"Alright, I admit I may have acted rashly," she lied, looking out the window. "But I'll keep an eye open, and I suggest you do the same."

The young buffalo stepped forward and placed a hoof on Applejack's shoulder. "I understand your suspicion, trust me. From what I've heard, those creatures can mimic anything and they excel at creating discord between loved ones. I can promise you, I am not the enemy."

Applejack turned toward her brother's stern gaze, Braeburn's pleading eyes, and Little Strongheart's comforting smile. Outside the room, she could see Granny Smith observing the situation with a silent frown. Even if Little Strongheart was a changeling, there was no way to prove it for now. Better to bide her time and observe some more, as much as Applejack hated leaving her family in a potentially dangerous situation. She would need something tangible to prove her claim.

"Alright, I'm sorry," she said with an awkward smile. She offered the buffalo her hoof.

"Apology accepted," Little Strongheart said, accepting the hoofshake and embracing Applejack in a hug. "I understand your suspicion. Think nothing of it."

"You're just under stress with all that's been going on, sis," Big Macintosh said compassionately with a light smile. "You're seeing monsters under the bed."

Granny Smith coughed loudly. "Now that you youngins are done accusing each other, can we all go back to sleep? We all should have been asleep hours ago."

"You're right, Granny," Applejack said with a sigh.

"Eyup," Big Macintosh added before heading for his bedroom.

Applejack left for her own room. As she passed her grandmother, the older mare gave her a knowing nod as her eyes quickly pointed toward the buffalo. The farm pony nodded back as she gently closed the door to Applebloom's room. This would be a long night.


The morning had been uneventful. Granny Smith got up early to make waffles — a delicious breakfast that Applejack almost missed by oversleeping. After everything that had happened the previous night, the farm pony found it difficult to get any meaningful rest. Every animal sound coming from the barn, ever creak of the wooden floor, every noise made by the wind, it all kept her awake and ready to fight off whatever changeling would come to take her away.

It took three cups of coffee for Applejack to start her day. A good part of breakfast was spent observing her family's guests while faking pleasantries. Nopony addressed her outburst from the previous night. She did notice a stern look from Big Macintosh at one point, but other than that, it was as if her accusation had never been made.

Once breakfast was over, Applejack headed to the barn to feed the pigs. She would also have to buck some apples in the south field, and fertilize before they planted the corn seeds. Some of the cows had been complaining about spiders in their barn, and the farm pony would have to take care of it later.

The moment Applejack was done with the pigs, she headed toward the orchard. She whistled as she headed toward the shiny red fruits in the south field, almost forgetting her current dilemma. Perhaps I was wrong about Little Strongheart, she told herself as she placed a few wooden barrels next to the first tree.

The earth pony bucked hard, shaking the tree down to its roots. She grunted as nothing fell and bucked again, this time harder. A few apples dropped down this time. One or two more bucks and she could move on to the next tree.

Applejack braced herself for a third buck when she heard a branch crack behind her. She spun around at once. If the changelings were coming for her, she'd be ready to fight them off. So far, nothing was in sight. She spotted a few birds flying in the sky, the wind ruffling the leaves in the trees, and a squirrel turning its head toward her. She sighed in annoyance. "Eh, just my imagination, I guess." She returned to applebucking.

After she had gone through a few trees, she picked up the first barrel and carried it toward her cart. She was pushing it onto the back of the cart when she saw a shadow on the ground. "That's it, I've had it with you!" she screamed as she turned around angrily.

Big Macintosh stared at her with a bored expression. "Just wondering if you need help," he said, chewing on a stalk of grass.

"Oh, hey Big Mac," Applejack replied with an awkward snort. "You sneaked up on me real good there. Didn't hear you at all."

Big Macintosh looked left, then right. "Eyup," he said.

"So, uh, you can help me with the cart?" she awkwardly asked, pointing toward the wooden trailer.

The large stallion turned his head toward the cart before letting out a somewhat hesitant "Eyup."

Applejack raised an eyebrow but said nothing as he picked up another barrel of apples and hauled it onto the cart. She did the same, eager to get back to work.

"Weren't you heading to town today?" she asked after a few minutes of quiet labor.

"Nope," was all the stallion said, still focused on hauling barrels.

"Wait a minute, didn't Granny Smith want you to bring some apples to market?"

"Nope."

Applejack's brow furrowed "And weren't you supposed to check on Applebloom too?"

"Nope."

"Weird, I thought that's what we agreed on last night," Applejack said, having difficulty keeping the suspicion out of her voice.

"N...nope?" Big Macintosh's lips trembled as he nervously looked to his left.

Consarn it. Is it one of them critters in disguise? Applejack stared down her 'brother,' looking for any sign that he might not be who he said he was. He smelled like Big Macintosh, walked like Big Macintosh, he even had the same eyes as Big Macintosh. It's actually his eyes. They can't fake his eyes. No, he had simply forgotten.

"Well, you mind going to town and handling the deliveries later?" she suggested, her eyes still locked on him. "I don't want Applebloom worrying either."

"Eyup," he replied.

"On second thought, I'll go with you," she continued. "Going to town might do me some good."

Big Macintosh nodded as he picked up another barrel, letting out another "Eyup."

Applejack sighed and grunted as she kept working. She hauled the last of the barrels and helped her brother get strapped to the cart. As she walked behind him, she again allowed her thoughts to wander. How could she trust anypony? Perhaps she should just confront her brother, ask him to prove who he really is. And if I'm wrong, he'll think I'm paranoid, and I will lose his trust.

Maybe there was another way. Changelings couldn't know everything. Applejack remembered what Twilight said about Chrysalis, how the queen didn't recognize some of the childhood memories she had shared with Cadance. Oh, horseapples! Protecting my family is more important than what Big Mac might think of me just this moment.

She coughed once. "Say, Big Macintosh, when we go to town later, mind if we stop at that store where I bought my hat? I could use me some new boots."

The stallion did not even turn to look at her as he replied. "Eyup."

Applejack could not help but grin. I got you now. "That was a good impersonation, I'll grant you that. But really, you've been overdoing it with the 'eyups'."

That got the creature masquerading as her brother to turn around. "What the hay are you going on about?" he replied with a severe frown.

"Oh, it was a good try," Applejack replied, surprised by the smugness in her own voice. "Almost had me fooled. My real brother though, he'd know I got my hat from 'pa. I never bought it in a store!"

The fake Big Macintosh's face twisted into a sneer as it quickly unhitched itself form the cart. "I guess we're doing this the hard way then. After what you've done to some of my brood in the battle of Canterlot, I was hoping it would come to that," the creature spat viciously.

Applejack moved away from the cart and leaned back in a fighting stance. She was by no means a violent pony, but she had proven multiple times in the past that she could hold her own in a fight. She and her opponent circled each other slowly. In the blink of an eye, Big Macintosh's form transformed into Granny Smith's. A few more steps and it was Applebloom facing her.

"If you think transforming into members of my family will stop me from clobbering you, you're dead wrong!" Applejack said loudly as she charged in, jumping at the changeling.

The creature jumped backwards, avoiding Applejack's front hooves. It could not, however, escape the headbutt that followed. The earth pony did not get a chance to celebrate her victory, as the moment she raised her head she found the creature, now under Rarity's form, pouncing her to the ground.

Applejack grunted as she fell, the creature holding her down. She tried in vain to shake it off, but both her front legs were pinned. The changeling transferred its weight to its right hoof, pushing hard on Applejack's ribcage. She winced through the pain, not reacting fast enough to avoid the blue hoof hitting her in the face. She tasted her own blood as Rainbow Dash growled viciously at her.

Another hoof to the face, this time from Mayor Mare. Applejack had to shake the creature off and get out of this position. Another hit, her vision became blurry from her own tears, but she thought she saw a yellow and pink shape. The next hit she never saw coming, although she felt its full force. Get up, Applejack. They're going after your family and you need to get up!

She moved her hind legs. In its haste to demolish her face, the changeling had forgotten about her most dangerous asset. She couldn't do much from her position, but she pushed the creature away with all the force her lower body could muster. It was just enough to give her the reprieve she needed to spin her entire body, taking the creature with her.

Both Applejack and her assailant rolled on the ground. She groaned as a rock scraped her shoulder. I don't stand a chance in close quarters like this, she thought as she let go, allowing the creature to roll over her and fall on its side. She was now facing Pinkie Pie, who got up and bared a set of fangs at her. Applejack jumped back to her hooves, breathing rapidly as she readied herself for another strike.

The changeling brushed the dirt with its pink hoof twice before charging. I'm ready for you this time. Applejack got up on her hind legs and jumped high, landing on the creature's back and shoving it down. She then easily hopped forward, brushing her enemy's body against the ground and leaving it in perfect position — right behind her. "I got you right where I want you," she said with a smug grin as she bucked as hard as she could.

Applejack would have loved to see the reaction on the creature's face, but when she turned around, it lay motionless on the ground, back in its natural insectoid form. She spat some blood and grimaced as the pain in her face reminded her of the beating she took. No time to rest now, I gotta make sure the rest of the family is okay.

She galloped to the cart and picked up some rope. Good thing I always keep my lasso close by, she told herself as she made her way back to the unconscious changeling. She carefully tied its hooves together, passing the rope through the holes in the creature's legs. She tested the strength of the rope to be sure it wouldn't escape and smiled appreciatively at her work before her face recoiled in pain again.

Applejack fell under her own body's weight. Her soreness became all the more apparent as the adrenaline left her bloodstream. She stared at her unconscious captive, wondering what her next move should be. What did she know about changelings? They often acted in groups, replacing multiple ponies in a town. They also preferred to keep their victims alive, trapping them in cocoons. Those cocoons were usually left in the same hive. Yes, if these critters were taking over Ponyville, they'd be building a hive — a place to hide, plan, and keep their captives.

After what felt like an eternity, Applejack got back up to her hooves. She looked down at the still bound changeling. He probably wouldn't betray the hive's location, at least not easily. She grunted and picked up her hat from the ground. She had not even realized it had fallen off during the fight. "Alright, better see if you have anything useful to say," she told the passed out creature as she trotted toward it, slamming her stetson back onto her head.

The farm pony gave the changeling a small kick, quickly followed by a second one. It gargled some incomprehensible noise as it opened its eyes. "Wakey wakey, sunshine," Applejack teased with a smirk. "You're gonna answer some questions for me."

"Don't think you'll make me betray the hive, pony," the creature spat.

"So you do have a hive nearby. Good to know," Applejack replied as she nonchalantly bucked a single apple off a nearby tree, catching it before it hit the ground.

The changeling hissed at her, showing its fangs. It struggled against its bonds, but quickly seemed to realize there was no getting out of this bondage.

"You know I'll find your hive sooner or later," Applejack said casually as she took a bite of the apple. "So why don't you make it easy on yourself and point me in the right direction."

"I won't talk that easily, pony, and I know you're too soft to do what must be done," the changeling replied, refusing to meet her gaze.

Applejack took a second bite, this one slower. The creature had a point, it would probably take a lot for it to betray its comrades. Certainly more than what the farm pony would be willing to inflict.

"Not that easy, is it?" the creature taunted. "You ponies are all such soft, loving creatures. Inflicting pain is too much for you. Anything you attempt trying to hurt me will end up hurting you even more."

The earth pony threw away her half-eaten apple and trotted toward the bound changeling. "You're right. Torture ain't how we do things around here," she admitted. "You got me thinking though. Either you or one of your buddies impersonated Little Strongheart. Now you mimic my brother, and no doubt you were planning on replacing me. That means your hive is probably around these parts. How am I doing?"

The creature's grimace was all the answer Applejack needed. She started dragging it toward her cart as she continued her speech. "Now, one thing you should know about my farm is that it's, well, my farm. Every hole, every nook and cranny, I know it all. I bet I find your hive before supper."

The changeling struggled against its rope as Applejack unceremoniously threw it in the back of her cart. She hitched herself and walked back toward the farm. With the creature no longer able to see her face, she clenched her jaw as her eyes started to water. Granny, Big Mac, I hope you're alright.


Applejack had spent the better part of an hour sneaking around the orchard, searching for whichever hole the changelings were hiding into. She started with some of the small caves and ravines where she used to play as a filly. They were all empty, although she did leave her prisoner inside one of the caves. Better to avoid returning to Sweet Apple Acres proper with a bound changeling. It would only serve to tip the other creatures that she was onto them.

She made sure the creature was properly tied up before she gagged it with a rag and hid her cart inside a nearby ditch. Looking at the area where she kept her prisoner, Applejack nodded and grinned. No way its friends will find it here, she told herself as she adjusted her hat.

Applejack kept her hoofsteps light as she made her way back to the family house. She had a mind to gallop there in a hurry, but without knowing how many changelings she'd be dealing with, she would have to favor caution.

It didn't take long for Applejack to get near the farmhouse. She took cover behind the outhouse. Her eyes swept the area as she remained hidden. Nopony was in sight. At this time of day, Granny Smith would be inside, either taking a nap or reading. Big Macintosh would be working — the real one was probably still in town. Hopefully Applebloom was safe with him.

She took a long breath. If I were a changeling trying to take over the orchard, where would I hide? The house was obviously a bad choice, as the Apple family was known to be hospitable. A room full of green slime would give away the creatures. The barn was also out of the question; it was much too open. Applejack's eyes turned from the barn to the small trap door on the ground. The apple cellar was seldom visited, mostly used for long term storage. It was usually kept locked, but it wouldn't be too hard for a changeling to break said lock.

Let's just hope I'm not galloping straight into a trap, Applejack thought as she made her way to the trap door. Just as she feared, the lock had been broken and lay discarded on the ground. She gave her surroundings another nervous look, turning her head left, then right. She perked up her ears, hoping some sound would give her a clue as to what was going on. Sure enough, a faint scraping noise could be heard coming from underneath the trap door. I got you now.

She slowly grabbed the handle, her lips shaking as she was about to pull. I sure hope Applebloom remembered to oil the hinges like I told her to. She slowly opened the trap door, wincing as she heard an ear-grating creaking noise. I'm gonna ground that filly for a month.

While the earth pony could not make out specific words, a voice was clearly coming from the cellar. "Horseapples," she cursed under her breath as she wrenched the door open. Her mouth gaped open as she reached the bottom of the short staircase. Two changelings stood in front of the cocooned forms of both Granny Smith and Braeburn. Her family members were surrounded in what looked like a thick, transparent green membrane. Both of them had their eyes closed.

Applejack did not get a chance to contemplate either pony's fate as the two creatures charged her. Her reflexes kicked in and she turned around, bucking hard with her powerful hind legs. Something was wrong though; her legs didn't hit anything solid. She turned around, only to see the creature had ducked. The other one took her shock as an opportunity to jump on her back. Only one thing to do now. "You better be ready for a ride," the earth pony announced with a grin as she started galloping in a circle, trying to buck the creature off.

She went around the room, jumping over a crate and two barrels. The changeling on her back pulled on her coat and bit her mane. She ground her teeth as she ran, trying her best to ignore the pain in her scalp. She still managed to see the second changeling from the corner of her eye. No doubt it would try to intercept her.

A split second decision was necessary, no time to think. She stopped abruptly, her hooves scraping the dirt floor. The creature was sent flying to the other side of the room, next to the cocoons. Applejack groaned in pain as it tried to hold on to her mane, ripping out a tuft of hair in the process.

She quickly turned her head toward the other creature, trying to read its alien turquoise eyes. It moved around her, teasing her with hisses and growls. It's trying to distract me, turn me away from the other changeling, Applejack realized. She risked a look to her left, where the other creature was getting back on its hooves.

Something else grabbed her attention. The cocoons had been shaken when the first changeling had been thrown against the wall. Braeburn's hooves started twitching and one of his eyes slowly opened. While the contraptions hung from a solid piece of green goo, the membrane at the front seemed thinner and, with luck, might be broken with a strong enough kick.

Darn it, Applejack! She had taken too long to analyze the situation and the changeling facing her probably guessed she had called its bluff. Both creatures charged her. She dodge the first and ran toward the pod. Without thinking, she jumped and slammed the green membrane with her entire body's weight, hoping that would be enough to free her cousin. She managed a glimpse at Braeburn's panicked eyes as his hooves scrambled in the thick, green goo that filled the cocoon.

The earth pony didn't get the chance to even see if she was successful or not, as the weight of one of her assailants pushed her to the ground. She tried to raise her head, but a hoof held it down. She swallowed some dust as her face was forced down, making her cough loudly.

She heard Granny Smith's voice whisper in her ear. "Calm down now, it's all just a dream. Granny will take care of you."

"Get off me, you lying varmint!" Applejack yelled as she spat out some dirt.

The sound of a hoof hitting something hard accompanied the pressure on her body being released. Applejack didn't question her luck; she pushed her whole body upwards, shoving a seemingly surprised Granny Smith out of her way. The first thing she saw was Braeburn, covered in disgusting green sludge, wrestling the other creature. She grinned as she got up. This isn't really Granny, she told herself as she stomped the disguised changeling with both of her front hooves.

While her blow pushed the creature away, it only seemed to enrage it, as it returned to its natural form and attempted to impale her with its sharpened horn. Applejack barely managed to lean to the side, changing what could have been a fatal blow to a wound on her left shoulder. She cried out in pain as her skin was gashed.

As blood dripped from her wound, Applejack's eyes caught Braeburn giving his opponent a desperate headbutt. She turned her attention back to her own enemy, whose head and sharpened horn had now passed her body. She rotated on her injured leg, screaming in both pain and rage as her entire body protested. Her other hoof met the back of the changeling's head, and she placed all of her weight into it.

"You come to my farm, attack my family, threaten my town," she spat as she slammed the creature's head against the ground. "Not here. I won't have any of it!" She screamed as she slammed the changeling's face a second time. Her tears blurred her vision as she gave a third hit, then a fourth. The creature's foul smelling blood mixed with the damp earth as she kept pulling its head back and smashing it in a puddle of its own filth.

Something held her hoof back. Applejack tried to push against this mysterious force. "Lemme go! I need to get this monster off my farm!" She screamed as loud as her lungs would allow.

"AJ, stop!" a voice pleaded. "You'll kill it!"

As the salty taste of her tears mixed with her own blood dribbled onto her tongue, Applejack found her strength leaving her body. I've never killed anything before... she realized. She turned around and saw Braeburn holding her hoof, his coat still oozing with the disgusting green ichor.

"Wha... what have I done?" Applejack managed to utter as her entire body fell to the floor next to the creature she has been beating mere moments ago.

"It's okay, AJ, it's okay," Braeburn reassured as he embraced her warmly. "Whatever happens, you saved me. Prolly saved all of Ponyville!"

Applejack forced a smile as tears fell down her cheeks. She looked behind her cousin and saw the other changeling on its back, its four hooves securely bound. Granny Smith was still cocooned in her own pod, right next to it.

The farm pony took a few moments to breathe before she broke the embrace and dried her tears. "We better get Granny outta there, make sure them critters are secured, and warn Miss Mayor," she told her cousin as she picked up her hat from the ground and shook the dust from it.

As Braeburn made his way to the still bleeding changeling on the ground, Applejack dragged herself toward the remaining cocoon. The membrane broke easily after she pushed it hard enough with her hooves. As Granny Smith's still unconscious body fell out of the pod, Applejack winced as pain reminded her of the various wounds she had suffered. As much as she wanted to go out and search the town for changelings, she would need a warm bath, somepony to take care of her injuries, and probably a long rest. Afterward, there would be a lot to do.


The living room in the Apple family's house was eerily quiet as Applejack held a cold compress to her swollen right eye. The wound on her left shoulder would probably heal fast enough, but for now it was bandaged, forcing Applejack to rely on her right leg. Regardless, nothing could convince her to get off the couch; the pain from her various bruises and cuts could not be ignored any longer.

She shared a look with Granny Smith, who softly rocked herself in her rocking chair. Both their pairs of eyes turned toward Braeburn, who was pacing back and forth across the room. "Will you quit that? You'll wear a hole in the floor," Granny barked.

"Sorry," Braeburn said as he stopped in his tracks. He turned toward Applejack. "How long until Big Macintosh gets back? What about the Mayor? Is she coming? What have they done with the changelings we captured?"

Applejack sighed loudly "Big Mac will be back when he's back. He's got to explain it all to Miss Mayor, after all. I'd also rather they take their time making sure those changelings don't escape." She bit her lip at the mention of the shapeshifters. She still didn't know if the one she'd beaten up would survive, only that it was in critical condition when her brother had taken it to the small prison house where Ponyville kept its criminals.

"I should have gone with him," Braeburn replied as he stomped his hoof on the ground.

"You should be resting," Applejack argued with a frown. "We still don't know what them pods do to a pony."

"That's your answer, Applejack? Do nothing?" the stallion retorted, taking a few heavy steps in her direction.

Applejack got up to her hooves, ignoring the pain in her shoulder. "I'm saying you rest up for now, so you can be in good enough shape for the trip back to Appleoosa."

Granny Smith stood up as well. "What in tarnation are you talking about? That cheese-hoof hit you too hard on the noggin' if you think sending your cousin back in there is a good idea."

"He won't be going alone," Applejack told her grandmother before turning back toward Braeburn. "I'll be going with him. I'm not gonna sit by while my family and friends, while my own blood, are being taken over by those critters!" Braeburn's muzzle slowly formed a hesitant smile as Applejack placed her hoof on his shoulder.

"That's all fine and dandy, but how do the two of you plan on taking on an entire horde of those monsters?" Granny Smith calmly asked, settling back in her rocking chair. "All you're gonna do is get yourselves captured, or worse."

"Not if we know what we're doing," Applejack replied, her gaze fixed on her grandmother. "I'm working on a plan."

Applejack's blood boiled as Granny Smith rolled her eyes. "I've raised you since you were a little filly," the old mare said, adding insult to literal injury. "You get mighty stubborn when you put your mind to it, but this isn't some silly competition with Rainbow Dash we're talking about. You'll get way more than a bloody muzzle if you go through with this fool's plan of yours."

"Fool's plan? Fool's plan?" Applejack yelled as she stormed toward her grandmother. "It's our own family we're talking about here! All of the Apples living in Appleoosa! I'm not gonna sit on my flank and wait for some hoity-toity Canterlot pony to send in the cavalry. We Apples take care of our own! You taught me that."

"And you won't be taking care of nopony by acting like you have hay for brains," Granny replied, her tone finally raising in intensity.

"Well, if you'll let me explain-" Applejack started before she heard the door open. She turned around and saw Big Macintosh, accompanied by Mayor Mare and a pink unicorn mare she didn't know.

"I hope we're not interrupting," the mayor began.

"Just planning our next move," Applejack said after taking a deep breath. She could hear Granny Smith grunt something unintelligible.

Mayor Mare frowned as she took a seat, her unicorn companion standing next to her. "Well, far be it from me to get in the middle of your family business. I'm here because of what happened; I don't want to risk changelings infiltrating Ponyville. Before we begin though, there is something we need to make sure of. Miss Sparkler, if you would," she invited as she nodded at the pink unicorn.

Sparkler took a few steps forward and closed her eyes. She ground her teeth and her horn lit up in a purple hue. "What in tarnation?" Applejack yelped as she was surrounded in an aura of the same color. The moment the spell was over, the farm pony turned toward the mayor. "You think we're changelings?"

"I have to be certain," she explained. "Sparkler has a brother in the royal guards who taught her the changeling detection spell. We agreed to keep it a secret, so any changeling coming to town wouldn't make her a target."

Applejack slowly nodded. "I take it Twilight knew."

"Yes. In fact it was her idea," the mayor continued as Sparkler finished casting her spell on the rest of the Apple family.

Applejack snorted and looked at the pink unicorn. "Satisfied?" she grunted.

"Yes, I'm fairly sure nopony here is a changeling," Sparkler replied with a tip of her head and a smile that seemed uncomfortable.

"Excellent. Let's begin then," Mayor Mare said as she took a deep breath. "I need to know, first of all, is Ponyville still in danger? Are there any more changelings in town?"

"There's no way to know for sure, but I think we got them all," Applejack said. "We still haven't found Little Strongheart, but I think it's safe to assume she's one of the changelings we got locked up."

"Have you managed to learn anything from them?" Braeburn asked with a furrowed brow.

The mayor shook her head. "No, they've stayed quiet. One is in bad shape and still unconscious, the other two refuse to speak a word. I already sent a messenger to Rarity in Canterlot. Hopefully she'll be able to send us some guards in a few days and help us out."

"A few days won't cut it!" Applejack said, slamming her hoof on the couch.

Granny Smith frowned. "Don't you start again."

Applejack ignored her grandmother and stood up, staring at the Mayor. "Ya'll need to mobilize the town. Have Sparkler here work her magic on ponies at random. We need to do something about Appleoosa too!"

"I agree with AJ," Braeburn said, standing next to the orange-coated mare. "It's my family and friends in Appleoosa. We need to help them."

"I understand, Mister Braeburn," the mayor said, her drooped ears betraying the air of confidence in her straight posture. "But Ponyville must come first. As I said, it might take a few days for any kind of help to arrive from Canterlot. In the meantime, we have to make sure nopony in town panics."

"And what about Appleoosa?" Braeburn said.

"I told Canterlot about Appleoosa, too," Mayor Mare replied as she met the stallion's gaze. "I'm sure they'll send what guards they can spare, but we need to give them time."

Applejack stomped her hoof on the ground. "Doing nothing? That's the plan?" she asked incredulously. "I'm not gonna wait, and neither will Braeburn. We're going to Appleoosa. If Canterlot wants to send help, great. If not, we'll free the town without them. The Apple family protects its own."

"And ponies on the frontier know how to fend for themselves," Braeburn completed.

"Brilliant, youngins'," Granny Smith said as she rolled her eyes. "And how do the two of you plan on freeing an entire town?"

Applejack grinned. "Simple: we find the hive, free everypony, and we take back the town. We'll kick those changelings out of town covered in tar and feathers!"

"What a ridiculous notion!" Granny argued. "What makes you think you won't get caught first, or that this hive won't be guarded?"

"Then we'll improvise. I won't sit back and do nothing." Applejack said, baring her teeth.

"Please, Applejack. Think about what you're saying," Mayor Mare pleaded as she interjected herself between the farm pony and her grandmother. "I know how you feel, but remember, we had this same conversation when all your friends left. Your place is here, in Ponyville. We need you to be a pillar of strength, to keep everypony from panicking."

"I'm sorry, Miss Mayor," Applejack replied as her eyes avoided the mayor's gaze. Her ears drooped and she lowered her voice. "Back then, I could stay because I knew my friends were all on the job. This time, Braeburn has nopony else to turn to. I just have to do this. I wouldn't be an Apple if I refused to help my cousin."

"If I can say a few things?" All eyes turned toward Big Macintosh as he spoke up. "AJ, what you're planning is foolish, dangerous, and might not help anypony."

"Big Mac, not you too," Applejack began softly before her brother silenced her by calmly raising his hoof.

"I'm not finished," he said as he gave his sister a stern glare. "As I said, what you're planning is foolish, but I know better than to argue with you. Only thing I can do is ask you to stay. If you really want to go though, at least be careful. Make sure you're healed properly, and don't hesitate to get back here the moment things get too rough. I know your stubbornness can get you in trouble. Just make sure it doesn't get you killed."

Everypony stayed silent for a moment. Applejack looked down at her hooves. Her swollen eye still hurt, and she still had to be careful not to lean on the leg connected to her injured shoulder. If I'm not being stubborn about this, who will? I won't let my family suffer out of fear.

Braeburn eventually broke the silence. "I'll make sure Applejack stays safe. We'll find the Appleoosan ponies together and help free the town."

Applejack looked up. "Alright, I'll agree to wait one day for my bruises to heal, and I can speak to the townsfolk for you, Miss Mayor. After that, me and Braeburn are off to Appleoosa."

Mayor Mare looked at the farm pony with a deep frown. "I don't like it, Applejack, but I can see your mind is set. I just hope that this decision of yours is not one you'll come to regret."

"I know it's the right call," Applejack said, her tone finally warming up. "Ya'll may not see it now, but things will turn out for the better. I just know it. Now, if ya'll excuse me, I wanna turn in early. Like ya'll reminded me, I need to rest up and let these here cuts and bruises heal up."

Before she went up the stairs, Applejack met Granny Smith's eyes. The old mare maintained her severe frown, but eventually relented and offered a reluctant nod. In time, you'll see I'm right.