• Published 9th Feb 2015
  • 4,210 Views, 153 Comments

Lovey Dovey and the Business Pony - Crystal Wishes



Lovey Dovey is a professional matchmaker tasked with finding a special somepony for Magnate, a hard-working stallion who doesn't believe in love. Has Lovey finally met her match?

  • ...
17
 153
 4,210

Match!

When Magnate ambled out of his bedroom to offer breakfast to Lovey, the couch was empty, save for a neatly folded blanket resting on top of a pillow. He blinked. The apartment was small enough that after a glance into the kitchen and the bathroom, he confirmed she had indeed left.

A frown tugged at his lips and he wandered into the kitchen, grumbling to himself, "I suppose she's decided to continue her pointless search bright and early already."

To his slight surprise, his Saturday was uneventful. He stayed at the apartment to wait for her to burst in at any moment with what she claimed was a potential candidate. He was alone the whole day, however. It should have been as relaxing as he had planned for it to be, but as the day went on, he grew more and more tense with every glance at the clock.

Sunday was no different, except that he went out to get groceries. He had seen pink out of the corner of his eye in the fruit aisle, but when he jerked his head to the side to look, he saw a distinctly not-Lovey stallion comparing apples. He cursed himself when he felt disappointed and continued his shopping.

When he arrived back at his apartment and opened the door, he half-expected to see her sitting on the couch, just like she had been sitting on his desk when they first met.

However, his couch was bare and the lights were off. The stillness and the dark was strangely more noticeable than usual. It made him feel suddenly lonely, a word that had never been something he associated with coming home, and his eyes started to widen when a thought struck him in Lovey's voice.

Love is having somepony to come home to.

He felt goosebumps when her voice rung in his ears and he shook his head. "Nonsense," he muttered and went into the kitchen to unload the groceries. He paused when he lifted a small container of strawberries out of one of the bags and instead of wondering why he had bought them, he found that he was smiling. "Strawberries can't make you drunk," he said in a voice mocking hers, then chuckled and put the container in the fridge.

Love is having somepony there to enjoy the simple moments with.

He frowned, then swatted a hoof at the air. "Rubbish. I enjoyed that moment all by myself." He rolled his eyes and put away the empty bags. "And now I'm talking to myself, aloud. We're going to stop that. No, I'm going to stop that. Agh!" He slapped his own cheek.

Once he was sure that he was done talking aloud, he went to the couch and flopped onto it. He was getting the relaxing, quiet weekend he wanted, so why was he thinking about her? He frowned, rolled his head to the side, and looked at the door. It remained shut. He scowled and twisted his body to face the back cushions of the couch. The plaid fabric made up of stripes over stripes stared back at him, boring and repetitive.

Love is... wonderful, never having to be alone again.

He stood with a huff and went to the bedroom. He just needed to fall asleep, wake up, and go to work. Work always made him feel at peace, and he'd soon get those foalish words out of his head.

The next morning in the office, however, was no comfort. A clock ticked to sound off each second. Numbers were scrawled along the papers on his desk, but he couldn't seem to focus long enough to make sense of them.

Fifty-eight, fifty-nine... sixty. Another whole minute had passed and he had accomplished nothing.

Shouldn't she be bursting through the door right about then, disregarding his request to leave him alone during work hours, dragging some new, innocent victim into his office? He glanced up at the door.

It remained shut, just like he had always wanted it to be.

He sighed and looked back at his paperwork, then glanced back up at the glass wall just to be sure. There was no sign of pink anywhere at all. At the feeling of disappointment, his heart skipped a beat, then began to pound all the way up to his ears. He was not just looking for her… no, he was desperately looking for her. He wanted to see her.

"Well... ponyfeathers," he muttered, a small smile lifting the corners of his mouth. "I guess she wins."

♥ ♡ ♥ ♡ ♥

In the cafe across the street from Eminence Tower, Juniper burst through the doors and hurried over to Lovey. The pink pegasus was sitting with her wings drooped nearly to the floor, staring at a barely touched, melting strawberry smoothie.

"I'm so sorry, Lovey!" She dropped into the seat beside her. "I came as soon as I could, but I just got your letter yesterday. I got on the first train available." She hesitated, then asked, "Lovey, have you been here since Saturday?"

"No." Lovey glanced up at her. "They close at night, so I went back to the manor, then came back here. Then I left last night and came back again this morning. I didn't know when you'd show up..."

Juniper sighed. "It's okay, Lovey. Just tell me what happened. All your letter said was that you did something awful."

Lovey sniffed. "I... I... I stayed at his place." She buried her face in her hooves. "And then I ran away! I made two big mistakes in a row!" Slowly, she lifted her head. "Three. Can't forget all those things I said while I was drunk. Oh, four. I got drunk."

Juniper stared at her with an open mix of confusion and amusement. "Lovey..."

"How could I do those things? It's so terribly unprofessional!"

"Lovey." Juniper started to smile.

"What if his special somepony saw us and misunderstood and now she's never going to approach him?!" She stared at Juniper with tears in her eyes. "What if he never wants to talk to me again because I acted like such a fool?"

"Lovey!" Juniper reached out and clamped Lovey's mouth shut. "Stop rambling and listen to me!"

Lovey blinked, the tears vanishing from surprise. She nodded. "Mmf..."

"Okay, now, first question." She retracted her hoof. "Who is his special somepony?"

Lovey stuck out her bottom lip. "I don't know. I haven't been able to find her at all! My heart's all messed up and every time I try to follow it, I just go in circles."

Juniper pondered this a moment, then smiled again. "Well, there's a first time for everything, isn't there?"

"I've had a whole lot of horrible first times this week. I nearly ruined Cocoa Brew's love line because I didn't follow it far enough to realize it didn't lead to Magnate." She paused to look over at the barista in question.

A security guard from Eminence Tower was leaning against the counter and the two were gazing in each other's eyes, warmth radiating from them so strongly that it briefly brought a smile to her lips.

"Or maybe I pushed them together because I was pushing her toward the wrong pony and they're actually my two thousandth match." A frown started to muddle her expression. "I don't even know! Nothing about my job makes sense to me anymore, and all I can think about is Magnate."

Juniper startled her with a snort followed by laughter. "Oh, Lovey Dovey!" She clapped both of her hooves around Lovey's. "I think you need to talk to Magnate. He's the only pony who can help you in this situation."

Lovey sniffed. "Really? But you've always been there for me..."

"I don't think so anymore, Lovey." She smiled. "You'll figure it out."

♥ ♡ ♥ ♡ ♥

Lovey paced outside Eminence Tower, becoming more and more worked up the longer she waited. Juniper was certain she had to talk to him, but about what? What could she say to him that would make her life make sense again?

A half hour later, Magnate trotted out the doors and paused when he found her pacing frantically. "I was just hoping to talk to you," he said as he approached her, his tone matter-of-fact. "I found a potential special somepony."

Lovey's eyes widened and she gasped, covering her mouth with both hooves. "What?! That's so wonderful, Magnate! I'm so happy for you!" Her hooves hid the fact that she wasn't smiling. Why did she feel like crying all of a sudden? "Who is she? Or he? Or they?"

He acknowledged her questions with a simple raise of one brow before he shook his head. "She. I have dinner plans tonight, actually. I would appreciate it if you would come along and confirm that she is the right one with... however it is that... that works." He gestured at the whole of her with a circular wave of his hoof.

"Absolutely!" She regained her composure and beamed at him. "It would be awful if you ended up with the wrong pony."

He nodded. "We'll be dining at Per Se. There's a strict dress code, however, so be sure you adhere to it."

"Really? What kind of dress code?"

"Formal, of course."

"Oh, my... Well, I suppose I have some shopping to do!" She held her head high and trotted away. Her vision started to go blurry, but she just smiled wider. "Toodles!" she called over her shoulder.

♥ ♡ ♥ ♡ ♥

Lovey walked into Per Se and froze. It was completely different from the places she usually preferred, which were always lively and full of friendly faces. This one seemed to cater to the more elite citizens of Manehattan, filled with ponies preoccupied with their quiet conversation.

She wore her mane up, tied in place with a ribbon encrusted in diamonds—or, rather, what looked like diamonds. She certainly didn't make enough bits to afford real diamonds! Her light blue evening gown, however, had been a little pricier than desired, but it was the only one she found that she liked.

A stallion in a black jacket came over and asked her name, then gave an odd, knowing smile at her response. "Right this way, Miss Dovey," he said.

"Lovey is fine," she offered lightly and followed behind him.

She smiled when she saw Magnate sitting at a table in the corner. His mane was slicked back and he wore a nice suit with a startling pink tie. It took her aback to see at first, but she quickly figured that the mare in question must like pink.

"I'm here!" she chirped.

He glanced up at her, then hurried out of his seat to respectfully stand. "You look lovely, Lovey."

"Thank you, Magnate." She giggled and started to take a seat before she noticed there were only two plates set out on the table. She changed directions to sit at one of the seats beside him without a plate, and she smiled. "This place is so very fancy!" she said with a sense of awe in her voice. "It must be expensive."

Magnate gave her an odd look. "It... is." His horn lit up and the plate slid to move in front of her, but she didn't comment. She was much too busy looking around.

The waiter came by and handed them menus. Lovey frowned at Magnate. "Shouldn't we wait a little while longer to order?"

He was already glancing over the options. "Are you hungry?"

"Well, yes, but—"

"Then order." He closed his menu and stared at her.

"O-Oh, okay." She blinked a few times as she opened her menu. "If you're sure."

Time slipped by and their entrées were served. Lovey started to worry. Where was this mare? Was she standing Magnate up? She looked over at him and met his gaze, which was filled with a soft warmth, and her heart skipped a beat. She forced a smile. He must really care about that mare to not notice that she wasn't even there.

"So," she started, twiddling her hooves. "when did you say she would arrive?"

He stared at her for a quiet moment, as if waiting, then raised one brow. "She... already did."

She gasped and stood up in her seat. "Really? Where is she?!"

Magnate said nothing while Lovey looked around the restaurant for the pony that matched the warmth he was radiating. His special somepony just had to be nearby. She could feel it, but where was she? Her ear twitched when she heard him sigh.

"I can't believe I'm doing this," Magnate muttered under his breath. He reached out and grabbed her face with both hooves, forced her to look at him, and kissed her.

Lovey squirmed against him in surprise for a brief moment, then melted against his lips. When he pulled back and saw her staring at him wide-eyed, he frowned.

"You are possibly the worst love guide I've ever met if you still don't understand," he grumbled.

Suddenly, tears welled up in her eyes and she put her hooves on top of his. Her heart fluttered in that telltale way, as it had so many times before for other ponies. She sniffled, then cooed with a bright smile, "Oh, Magny... It's a perfect match."

Author's Note:

And, having found true love, they lived happily ever after!

... or so you’d expect from a silly little romantic comedy.

Comments ( 120 )

Ooo don't mind me! I'm going to dive into this and read it all/

Aw what a cute ending!

5608024 Thank you for reading! :yay: I had a lot of fun writing this and am glad you enjoyed it!

5608357 this. was. adorable! this is the cutest short story ever, especially with your characters. I'm a big fan of yin yang archetype, and your characters fit the bill perfectly. I'm not a reviewer or anything like that, but I get the story of a thumbs-up.

5608876 :twilightblush: Oh, gosh, thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for taking the time to comment and thumbs up; it means a lot to me!

Unlucky 13...
Quick someone like the story again!
Unlucky 13 UNLUCKY 13!!
(Great story btw! I was sorta hoping for 1 more chapter cause I sorta wanted to know what happened afterwards:fluttershysad: but I liked the story anyway!)

You know, I was skeptical at first, but the story prompt sounded interesting and I wanted to see how you'd portray Lovey Dovey and Magnate. While I think he ended up being a tad boring, I very much enjoyed the way Lovey was written. She has kind of a childlike wonder to her that reminds me a lot of Pinkie Pie, and she even fills a similar role in making ponies happy! Since she was the main focus for most of the story, I think it worked out quite well. In fact, I'm happy to have left it with a favourite and a like.

Have a great day! :twilightsmile:

5609173 I won't lie... I might add an epilogue at some point; I just ran out of words regarding the contest. I also might rewrite it entirely someday and expand it into a longer story... I also also will probably do another story of Lovey's matchmaking adventures when I finish my current project. :twilightblush: I do agree in wanting to know... What happens next with Lovey and Magnate?!

5609434 Thank you for giving it a shot despite the skepticism. That means a lot to me! Lovey is a favorite OC of mine. I didn't create her with the intent of a similarity to Pinkie Pie, but ya know what, when you mention it, I totally see it! Especially with the whole super pink color scheme... whoops. :twilightblush: Imitation is the best form of flattery? Hehe. And yes, Magnate is a bit boring, for better or for worse regarding reading him. I definitely didn't want him to have too much "screentime" on his own since I wasn't sure if anyone would relate to him the way I do. Lovey will be a very good influence on him, though. :raritywink: I'm glad you enjoyed it nonetheless!

Thank you both for reading and commenting! :pinkiehappy: I really appreciate it!

This was a good read as par for the course when it comes to you Crystal. You have great writing skills and good story ideas. Have you ever considered going to any of the pony conventions? You have been attracting some readers on this site. You may just attract some more fans there. Ah I was getting off track there. Anywho, great short story. It was an enjoyment to read. It would be interesting to see an epilouge to this...

5622968 Thank you so much! :pinkiehappy: I've considered going to a pony convention, though just as a fan, not as a writer. :twilightblush: I don't know if I have the courage for that just yet...

This will not be the last you see of Lovey! I enjoy writing her way too much for that. :raritywink: Don't you think she and another romantically-inclined OC of mine would get along oh so very well? :duck:

Crystal Wishes, I want to know that I blame you entirely.

Here I am, at a quarter 'til 2, reading this happy, feel-good romance you've written instead of finishing my own.

Excepting the chapter that I finished while I was reading this, of course. So, that's three done in full, two done in almost full, three more done in part, and two more I haven't even started yet. Probably not done by the end of Valentine's Day, but maybe still before my birthday (don't count on it though).

Still going to have to wait for your fill of princes, though.

I LOVED it!!!! All the little problems I had with this when prereading were resolved with this version of the story. A beautifully done romance short. My favorite bit was her staying at his place, then he wakes up and realizes how alone he is. REALLY nicely done, Crystal! Top favorite romance short of all time. :pinkiehappy: Your writing is always amazing! I want more from these two!

I got one word for this. CUTE!:pinkiegasp:

I really enjoyed this.

5641525 :yay: Thank you so much; that means a lot coming from you! I appreciate the read and the comment! :heart:

Well, I finally got around to reading this, and I'm so glad I did. Congrats on winning that contest by the way! This was really cute, so much so that I found myself taking breathers in between chapters (No joke, I've always had cuteness diabetes or something). :twilightblush:

Much like your other story, I really enjoy your characters. Lovey is so bubbly and sweet, the way she spoke, acted, and even downright invaded other ponies personal space was just really fun to read. Magnate on the other hand started out quite serious; he was focused on his own agenda almost to an extreme, though it was never so much that I couldn't see where he was coming from, wanting to accomplish something so much that his drive forward consumed him either with out him realizing, or simply not caring.

As for their relationship developing, I saw it much like a monochrome world (Magnate) suddenly receiving a splash of color and life (Lovey) only for it to be quickly washed away, leaving a gaping void in its wake, as well as a feeling of loss that just couldn't be shaken. I hope you find a way to continue their story, because I really like these two.

5648023 Hehe, thank you for the read and the comment! :heart: I'm really glad you liked it! And your monochrome world with a splash of color being washed away description is pretty much exactly how I see it, too. :rainbowkiss:

There will definitely be more Lovey Dovey stories! I think I'll periodically do shorts as inspiration strikes. The next one will have to be a continuation of Lovey Dovey and Magnate's story for sure.

Okay now that you've won the latest contest at Nonpariel, I can officially publicize my thoughts on this story.

It was well written, I don't remember any typos or grammar errors. I'm not saying they couldn't be there, but if they are it did not detract from the read.

The characters were delightful. Even at his most lonely times Magnate was a likable character and everything Lovey did or said was like joy dolloped heavily on a bowl of sweet strawberries. I actually take a lot of time and effort to think about my favorite OC's and the stories they come from and Lovey is definitely near the top of the list.

During the judging process I made the comment that the story was basically a chick flick. However if Hollywood ever made a movie that had as much love and joy as this no one could stop me from going to see it. You've taken the cliche and made it wonderful.

Finally, I have a bad habit of guessing the endings of a story and I figured this one out in the first chapter. In spite of that, I still loved every moment of the ride. I award this one an upward facing thumb and a gold star. I'll see you at the next chapter.

5650401 I very much appreciate your comment! :heart:

I will fully and readily admit that I started this with the intention of writing a chick flick fan fic. I originally had that as a disclaimer in the description, but I wasn't sure if that it would turn people off to the story. :twilightblush: I wanted to write something campy and cute and all around fluffy, and I feel like I succeeded! :yay:

Lovey is one of my favorite OCs to write and I'm absolutely thrilled other people like her! :pinkiehappy: I'm excited to write more of her tale.

Thank you so much!

5650633 It was no trouble at all. This story deserves every view, up vote, or comment it gets. It's why I just finished posting a blog trying to advertise it to my readers.

I know I'll be excited to see more of Lovey and Magnate's adventures(I read the comment where you said you intended to write more of Lovey). Or even a prequel of some kind would probably be fun. Like Lovey's cutiemark story for instance... though that might kill some people with all the diabetes. Whatever the case may be I'm sure most of us over at Nonpariel will be excited to see more when you become motivated to write it.

Aww this was a cute and well written story. I quite enjoyed it.

I am in utter shock... WHY HAVEN'T I FOUND THIS ON THE FEATURED SECTION!?!?!?!?!??!


Anyways.. Amazing story and keep up dat work! :raritywink:

5693813 Oh, thank you! :twilightblush: That means a lot to me! I really enjoy writing Lovey Dovey, and hope y'all will like the other short stories of her adventures that I have churning in the back of my mind. A sequel to this story is first on my list!

5694305 SEQUEL WILL COMMENCE!!

(Robot voice..)

Initiate self Sequel maker.. L-O-L.. O-O

They say Doctors are the worst patients. They are horrible at diagnosing their own symptoms, regardless as to how good they are at doing it to others.

Well done.

It remained shut, just like he had always wanted it to be.

Oh, well done. This sentence has the most impact out of the entire story.

Huh. So that's how you're ending it.
Well, you know what? Despite being completely predictable and filled with little niggles (that hyphen/dash confusion, to name but one), it... wasn't bad at all. I guess it comes as no surprise that you defeated me.
GG, Crystal Wishes. May you write more.

So, apparently some people didn't like my commentary, observations, and critique of this story. Gee, you go out of your way to comment and even write a positive review about a story, and that's what happens?
To those who don't bother reading this review—yes, I did like it. I even added it to my "tier two favourites" library. My comments are not just hating on the story. My reviews are intended to help people, not bash on them. And last I checked, authors liked feedback, particularly those who wish to improve.

5716484 Totally with you on that. For me it was a nice little piece of fluff to simply enjoy.

Would it be too much to ask for a sequel for this?

5807018 Certainly not! It's absolutely on my list and I've gotten some rough drafting prepared for it, but my writing focus has been on my main story that I just haven't been able to cobble things together. :twilightblush: But there definitely will be one!

5807980
That's awesome.
Thank you for writing Lovey Dovey and Crystal's Wishes.:twilightsmile:

5808057 Thank you for reading and commenting! :yay:

5808090
Your welcome.

Blame my iPhone for the belated favorite; it's not my fault I hit the "read it later" by mistake! :twilightsheepish:

Oh my gosh, I love this so much! Lovey is officially one of my favorite OCs!

5876034 Eeeiiii... Don't tell my other OCs, but Lovey is definitely one of my favorites to write. :yay:

I'm glad you enjoyed it! :heart:

You're gonna kill me with all this cuteness :rainbowkiss:

Great story! Lovey's antics had me smiling from the start. :pinkiehappy: Keep up the great work!

It's... done? NO, you can't do that! You can't just end it like that! That's like changing from a velocity of 30 m/s to 0m/s. It's just so... so... so sudden.

5934076 Hehe, sorry for the abruptness! This was for a contest, so I had a limited amount of words to work with, and I also wanted to parody the format and feel of a stereotypical chick flick rom-com. The sequel, which is... Roughly outlined, will be a more realistic follow-up, ideally. :twilightsheepish: After all, you can't expect happily ever after when they've only known each other a week!

Also, I don't know if you were being playful or actually asking, but I'll answer as though it were the latter, hehe! :pinkiehappy:

1) Lovey and what we see of Cadence's magic work differently (Cadence appears to be able to magically create / repair love, whereas Lovey can sense/"see" love lines, but can't actually affect it magically) :twilightsheepish: But I do definitely intend to write a one shot where Lovey challenges Cadence to a "love-off". :rainbowlaugh:

2) She knows he has a soulmate because of his love line, so he can't be asexual in her book! :duck:

Thank you so much for reading! :heart:

Tev

The daww levels... They're over 9000!

First I was... :facehoof:

Then I was... :twilightsmile:

Now I'm all... :heart:

I know there were limitations on this story, but even so, I'd love to see it expanded some day. Either that or I'd be k with a really good sequel. After all, meeting your soul mate is all well and good, but keeping them is a whole different ball game.

And I maintain my earlier comment that I'm not sure who's the more terrifying matchmaker, Lovey Dovey or Dr. Candyfloss.

6058403 I will do my best to write a good sequel. No promises on if it will be really good or not... I'll leave that up to you to decide when I eventually finish it! :twilightblush: That is absolutely the aspect I want to cover: the "after" in "happily ever after"!

Login or register to comment