• Published 11th Sep 2014
  • 9,518 Views, 587 Comments

Always - Vlad



When Severus Snape died, he did so with many regrets. And we all know that death can do...funny things to those with unfinished business. And, stuck in a bright, garish world surrounded by creatures more infantile than any first-year, now so does he.

  • ...
44
 587
 9,518

Chapter Three

Snape's arrival to Ponyville had mixed results. His unpleasant, sinister appearance and severe expression initially alarmed many of the ponies trotting about, but they calmed down almost as soon as they saw Rainbow Dash at his side.

So there really are no humans here... Snape's lip curled in annoyance, his dark eyes flitting to the cyan pegasus at his side. "Well? Where are we going?"

Rainbow shrugged, mumbling an unintelligible jumble that sounded vaguely like "I don't know." Snape rolled his eyes, carrying on with his purposeful strides. "Who'dya wanna talk to?"

"As I said, whoever's in charge." He responded frigidly, keeping his eyes forward. "And before you ask, no that does not mean I want you to carry me to 'Canterlot'." He turned, giving Rainbow a positively scalding glare. "I'd rather not be dropped from three meters off the ground...again."

"Hey, I said I was sorry!" She shouted, "how was I supposed to know you were so heavy?!"

"Perhaps you're just exceptionally weak. I'm not exactly a large man."

"HEY!"

Snape smirked lightly, relishing his victory over the insufferable mare. "So who is in charge?"

"Mayor Mare." Snape almost broke his stride at the name, but silly names seemed to be the norm here. "She'll be in her office."

Snape cleared his throat. "Very well, take me to her."

Rainbow raised an eyebrow, magenta eyes narrowed at him. "Uh...'take me to her'...what?"

Snape narrowed his own eyes, his hand curled around his wand in a white-knuckle grip under his robes. "Take me to her...please." Every word sounded like a snake slithering over loose rubble, forced and hissed. He forced his temper down, fighting to maintain composure.

"Okay!" Rainbow grinned and took off, taking a winding road just to the left of Severus. The wizard exhaled and turned to follow the prismatic trail hanging in the air. She's as bad those damned Marauders...

Once arrived at the large, ornate building, that I could have found myself just as easily... Snape pulled the door open and walked inside. "I'm looking for..." his lip curled, "Mayor Mare. Is she present?"

"That would be me. I'm a little busy though, could you come back tom-mo-mo-oh my goodness..." The grey-maned, bespectacled mare petered out towards the end as she looked up at a very unamused Snape. Mayor Mare cleared her throat and audibly gulped, before continuing in a far meeker tone, "Ho-how can I help you?"

Snape stared flatly at her, his dark, tunnel-like eyes projecting his own irritation at the mayor. "First, you can stop gawking. It's terribly distracting."

"Of course!" She averted her eyes, standing and walking out from behind her desk. "Now, mister..."

"Snape," he offered, "Severus Snape."

"Mister Snape, why have you come to my fine town?" She was doing her best to be civil, but Snape didn't need to be a Legilimens to sense her fear.

"It was neither a planned journey nor a welcome one, but I seem to be very far away from home. I will need a place to stay while I look for a way back, as well as a source of income." Snape droned, obviously having prepared this beforehand.

"I'm sure we can find you something..." Mayor Mare muttered, looking through the stack of papers on her desk. "Golden Oaks Library has need of a new librarian...poor Dusty Tomes, nopony saw that coming." Snape perked up slightly at the mention of a library, but said nothing. "You'd have to wait a day or so, Celestia's sent a representative to supervise the—"

"Summer Sun Celebration, yes, I've heard all about it. That will do nicely, thank you." Snape turned to walk back out, but was immediately run over by PINK.

"MAYOR!" A high-pitched, shrill voice shouted, "Permission to use the Library, MA'AM?!" Snape may have been slightly dazed, but he could still hear the faux-military tone to the request. Standing, he turned to glower down at the pink monstrosity that had assaulted him.

Mayor Mare sighed and pushed a hoof to her forehead. "For what...?"

"There's a new pony! She looked all huffy, so a surprise Welcome-to-Ponyville party is just what the doctor ordered!"

The mayor raised an eyebrow. "And why does the party need to be at the library?"

"She looked like a bookworm," Pink grinned, bouncing in place.

"Fine...go ahead, Pinkie."

Pinkie turned to leave, but was met by a wall of solid black. Slowly looking up, she came face-to-face with a dark-eyed, pale face giving her the sharpest glare from behind a curtain of black hair. "You knocked me over." He accused, his voice tightly controlled and monotonous.

"...Sorry." Pinkie at least sounded genuine, visibly subdued. She gave a sheepish grin, to which Severus simply turned with a sweep of his robes and skulked out of the Town Hall. "Wait!"

Pinkie galloped after him, barely managing to keep up with the quick pace of his longer legs. "My name's Pinkie Pie...what's yours?"

"Severus Snape, now if you don't mind, I have someplace to be."

"But I've only just met you!" Pinkie shouted, causing Snape to wonder if she had any other volume of speech.

"And what an impression you've made," Snape deadpanned, quickening to try and outrun The Pink.

"Aww, come on, Sevvy!" Snape's eye twitched again. "I said I was sorry! I was just so excited for the Summer Sun Celebration, then my Pinkie Sense told me we were gonna have a new pony in Ponyville! And now we have two new ponies in Ponyville!"

"When I see them, I'll be sure to give them my deepest condolences." Snape replied dryly.

"One of them's YOU, silly! C'mon, turn that frown upside down!" Snape didn't recall how Pinkie had gotten onto his shoulders, but it was disturbing nonetheless.

I could be in Azkaban right now...when did my life go wrong?
----------

"So Ah snatched back mah hat an' told 'im ta git!" Applejack recounted to her younger sister and new friend.

"Wait...did he look real tall n' covered in black?" Apple Bloom asked, suddenly very worried. Twilight looked between them, having no idea what they were talking about.

"Yeah, ugly feller if Ah ever seen one." Applejack narrowed her eyes. "Did he do somethin' to ya?"

"...Not exactly..." Apple Bloom looked down, scuffing the ground with a forehoof. Ah might've...hit 'im in the head with a ball." She looked back up, rearing up on her hind legs. "But then he stood up an' started mumblin' somethin or other, an' he looked awful mad, so we jes' ran away!" She plopped back down.

Applejack raised an eyebrow in thought. "Well, at least he never tried ta hurt nopony..."

Twilight rolled her eyes. "Well, this has been very enlightening, but I need to be off. Thanks for the food, it looks like everything here's been taken care of."

"Come 'round any time ya like!" Applejack waved, grinning from ear to ear.