• Published 7th Sep 2014
  • 1,738 Views, 91 Comments

Another Sappy HiE Fic - exsnaggerwes



A human finds his way to the portal on Earth and travels through to Equestria. Only he's no longer human. Is it really such a loss? And can he pursue a relationship there?

  • ...
15
 91
 1,738

Arrival

I woke up lying on my side as I usually do with the morning light hitting my closed eyes as I attempted to reach for my snuggling pillow and return to sleep. When all I heard was a solid "clop" on a hard floor, and felt that there were no blankets or pillows around me, I opened my eyes and squinted at the light while my eyes adjusted. I never wanted to wake up in the morning, but this was far too uncomfortable, and I was obviously not in my own bed. I didn't even feel a bed under me at all, really.

My eyes adjusted to the light and I attempted to observe my surroundings noticing first that I had never seen so much color in my life, and the light was far brighter than I would have expected inside of any building. I couldn't see much around me due to a very obvious round, cloudy obstruction right in front of me. I tried to focus on something else only to have the obstruction follow my vision. I was still in my clothes, which meant that I probably didn't go to sleep by my own choice. If I was lying on the floor, it was likely that I had fainted or been knocked out. My ears were ringing so I assumed I had been knocked out. That would mean that the cloudy obstruction was my contacts stuck on my eyes.

I tried getting up, and failed miserably. I could feel why, but it didn't process until I tried again and felt the lack of fingers. I gasped, or shrieked. I'm not too sure what to call the noise I made when I realized what was going on. I tried again at getting to my hooves instead of my feet and was moderately successful. I could almost stand, but I was feeling a tightness around my chest and rear. I tried to shake my shorts off, which was far more difficult than it used to be, and my underwear and shirt soon followed. "No point in wearing clothes if I have fur," I mused out loud and beamed at the thought.

"I really don't want - - - " I heard a muffled sound coming from across the room.

"I don't ---- we're go- --- I know -- heard something," I heard another voice insist from behind what I could only guess was a door. The lack of vision was really taking its toll on me, so I felt around for my clothes and kicked them away from me in an unidentifiable pile of other things near what I assumed was the mirror. I was giddy with excitement that I was right about the portal, and oblivious to the fact that I wasn't followed through. I didn't think about it and I probably wouldn't have cared at that point anyway.

I heard the door open before I could try walking, so I was bound to be a sight if they had asked me to do anything.

"Identify yourself!" The first commanded.

"How did you get in here?" The second demanded.

The first voice sounded like a stallion by the depth and the second was clearly a mare. It was the second voice who had said they heard something earlier. I could tell by what I heard of their previous conversation that the stallion was either new and nervous, or just lazy and didn't feel like investigating. I was surprised that they could speak English, or maybe perplexed by how it sounded like English. Where I was from, horses couldn't make noises like that. Maybe the magical portal didn't just transform my body. Perhaps it made everything match. I shook my mane into view to get a glimpse at its color and it was just a boring brown, then I turned my head to look at the rest of my body and saw a brilliant red, close to Big Macintosh's color.

"Are you deaf?" The mare shouted, "Who are you and how did you get in here?"

My ears swiveled in her direction before my face did, and I found it just a tad more comfortable to see her with my head to the side rather than face to face. I couldn't tell if that was customary or not, so I just settled for head on.

"Sorry, I'm lost. I didn't mean to end up here," I lied. I felt something on my back move a bit as I spoke and at the very thought of having wings, I became excited and felt them fling outward almost knocking me off of my fragile balance.

"I'm not going to ask again, don't lie to me this time."

Oh, that's right. She must have thought my wings were a tell. Oops.

I tried to put them away, but I wasn't sure which muscles would do that. I tried shrugging to test if they were attached to my shoulders, but that only made my wings shrug. The whole time, I was watching myself as best I could with the cloud in my vision. I thought about taking out my lenses but decided that it was probably the worst idea at the moment. I would have to ask if another pony could do it for me. Luckily, there were rings around the clouds that I could clearly see through, and again, my eyes were flooded with color. I had never seen so much color in my life, and at first I thought it was just because this universe was cartoonish, but then I had an epiphany. If I had new hardware, maybe I could see color now too! I was partially colorblind as a human, and nearsighted too. I observed the ponies across the room through the rings above my lenses and could see two near-identical crystal guards. Both of their faces were a color that I couldn't describe if I tried. I would probably have to learn all shades of purple over again.

"Are you okay?" The mare on the right asked. It was obvious from my dodgy eye-contact and body language that there was something wrong with me. I realized that it would be a good idea to ask for help sooner rather than later, as well.

"No, I can't see anything," I started as I looked for a horn on their faces without any luck, "and I can't keep my balance. I'm actually not used to being a pony, if you can believe that."

"What do you mean?" The stallion finally chimed in.

"I came through there," I lifted a hoof to point in the direction of the portal and fell forward, ears drooping in embarrassment. After seeing that, they either understood or felt sympathy and trotted to me to offer assistance. My wings had finally drooped back down and I tried to tighten my back muscles as if I were sitting up straight as a human. That seemed to do the trick to pull them back into their tucked position.

"You came through the portal? Where are you from?"

I was so relieved to hear that I wouldn't have to explain ridiculous magic to anyone else that day. It was about then that I realized the room wasn't getting brighter as it would in the morning, which meant that it must have been the same time of day from when I left.

I quickly responded before I let my thoughts run away with me again, "Earth. I used to be human."

The stallion turned and mumbled something about the princess to his partner. She, in turn, straightened up and said in as official tone as she could muster, "Very well, we shall take you to the Princess to sort this out. Follow me," she turned and began to walk away as I tried myself to walk, and did surprisingly well. My knees weren't in a comfortable position, but I got along just fine.

As we walked along, I began to get antsy while trying to look around and gather my bearings. The pony guards were crystal ponies, so that must have meant that we were in the Crystal Empire. I didn't think the princesses were there, but I was quickly reminded that there was already a ruling princess there. How could I have forgotten about Cadance? I allowed the thought to pass as my mind returned to Earth. It wasn't something I could help. After all, I had spent 20 years there as a human, and had almost no experiences in Equestria to think of.

I wondered how the events in Equestria girls took place. I didn't think everything could be accurate, and I did study the events that had happened near the portal, but there weren't any recent ones. Did Twilight Sparkle not go to Earth? No, that couldn't be right. These ponies already knew about Earth, so somepony had to have gone there recently. Maybe the times didn't match up the same. Perhaps time passed faster on Earth than it did in Equestria. So many thoughts jumbled into one enigma in my mind until that enigma evolved into a singularity and threatened to explode until I finally caved and thought of something else.

My thoughts wandered to the Mane Six, and how much I wanted to meet them. It didn't stop there, as I thought of all of the other characters from the show that I hoped more than anything else would be real there. The guards finally led me up to massive double doors, that I wish I could have seen clearly, and asked me to wait. They went inside for a few moments and then returned with orders to take me to Canterlot.

"Why Canterlot?"

"Princess Cadence suggested that this is a matter of which Princess Celestia would have more experience, and therefore jurisdiction over. We've also been asked to take the mirror portal with us to be placed under a larger guard detail. Guess who gets to help us carry it?"

I didn't even care. In fact, I smiled and jumped at the chance to do my first useful task as another species and as an alien. It would also mean that the portal would follow me and if my friend finally decided to venture through, I would be one of the first to know. "Sure, I'll help!" I volunteered.

"Don't act like you had a choice," The stallion chuckled, "By the way, we never caught your name."

"Wes, and yours?"

"Swift Spear," the stallion responded.

"Sharp Wit," the mare added, far less rigid than before, "It's good that we get to know each other better, we have to take a train to Canterlot."

"Were you followed?" Swift Spear asked.

"I might have been. My friend saw me go through the portal, but she wasn't there when I woke up. I'm not sure if she actually came through or not."

"That could be a problem, we'll need to watch out for any other visitors."

"I don't think anyone else is coming, nobody in my world but me seemed to know or care that the portal existed, and it was in a rather private place."

We continued the conversation as they asked about my life on Earth and they educated me about the history of Equestria and some other countries, most of which I already knew because of the show and fanfiction. There weren't a lot of differences, if any, so it would be pretty easy to get along in Equestria. They asked me why I came, so I had to either make up an excuse on the spot or simply tell the truth about how awful the world was. I chose to tell them about all of the wars, broken values, crappy politics, and lack of magic, and they didn't seem to take my appearance in Equestria as an invasion. They really did have the hospitality and kindness displayed in the show, and at one point in my life story, I was even reduced to tears by their understanding and acceptance.

They told me about how they were friends and met in the academy while they were learning to become members of the royal guard. It was only recently that the Crystal Empire had been revived, so the ponies were a bit out of practice and they decided to hire some new recruits to the force because of their previous downfall. It turned out that both of my assumptions about Swift Spear were true and he was both new and somewhat lazy when it came to the particular station he was assigned the moment we met.

Carrying the mirror wasn't as much of a problem as getting it on the train, as instead of balancing it on our backs like I thought we would, it was put on a cart and I pulled. Swift Spear was a pegasus, and held his sidearm (a spear) in his wing while Sharp Wit was an earth pony and carried hers in a hoof, or mouth when necessary. When not actively holding the weapons, they were tucked into their armor near their backs, sticking out in front working as jousting swords if necessary. There wasn't a unicorn around to assist in moving the mirror with magic, so they helped me back the mirror into the train car that we were to ride.

We sat carrying on our previous conversations exchanging with each other stories about Earth and Equestrian history and the topic of entertainment came up. Equestrian and Earth technology didn't differ much in the way of advancement, as magic assisted games existed to parallel the technology-backed consoles we had on earth. Joyboys really existed there as did television, though they kept to more physical forms of entertainment for the obvious reasons. Most of their work involved being active. Unicorns were really the only ones that didn't exert a lot of physical energy to do their jobs, but earth ponies were physical by nature, being farmers, bakers, and building things, while pegasi mostly controlled the weather and unicorns handled most of the technology in that world.

Other societies existed in their world in other countries, and more races existed as the dominant creature in their world. Griffons had their own way of doing things, as did dragons. It was a lot to take in at first, but most of the things they told me were things I could have already figured out on my own. In turn, I shared with them the things I did for fun on Earth. All of my hobbies seemed to go over their heads except for saying that I watched My Little Pony and read fanfiction.

They were surprised at the fact that their lives were like a show and used as the base of 'fictional' stories, but then shockingly understood when I tried to explain that it were possible through the multiverse theory. At least they pretended to understand. As I said before, they were very nice, understanding, and just pleasant to be around.

It was dark when we finally arrived in Canterlot and nothing had come through the portal the whole way there. I was only mildly disappointed, but didn't dare let anything sour my mood as I was led to the castle to meet with Princess Celestia.