• Published 7th Sep 2014
  • 6,788 Views, 740 Comments

"If you ain't got anything nice to say..." - ManlyDerp



Big Mac has accidentally stepped in a patch of poison joke. The once quiet stallion now can't stop talking, no matter how much he wants to. Ponyville is about to get an earful. (WARNING: Contains character deconstruction and silly moments)

  • ...
43
 740
 6,788

Chapter 3 [EDITED]

"... Is... is she gonna talk anytime soon?"

Looking over briefly to Applejack, considering her question, Twilight slowly shakes her head.

"I... I honestly don't know, Applejack," she replies, now considering the pink mare before them. "She's just... sitting there... staring off into space..."

The party pony suddenly whips her head around towards her two friends, eyes wide. As Pinkie Pie jumps back to her hooves so too does Twilight and Applejack jump back away from the now energetic pony.

"Oh!," Pinkie shouts. "Sorry about that, girls! I must have zoned out there for a bit, hehe."

After a moment of silence, Twilight Sparkle replies with the role of her eyes and by saying "That's... okay, Pinkie. Can you now please tell us what you saw?"

Beaming once again, the sugar fiend chimes "Gotcha dotcha!" With the sweep of her tail, Pinkie clears off the ground beneath her and then promptly takes a seat. "Okay. Here's how it all went down..."

_______________

So I was hopping down the road here, right? Just hopping and skipping and generally frolicking...

"You were supposed to be helping me, Pinkie..."

Shhhhh; your auntie Pinkie Pie is telling a story, Twi Twi. It's not nice to interrupt.

"Why were you so darn close to my home anyways, sugarcu-

WHAT DID I JUST SAY?!

"..."

"..."

... Good! Anyways; so there I was frolicking, having a grand old time... when all of a sudden...

"Hi there Big Mac!" I called out to the big red stallion. I was really surprised to see that particular pony this close to the place where he usually lives and works! I mean, what were the odds?!

"About seventy-five percent I'd thin-"

DO I NEED TO MAKE YOU SIT IN THE CORNER, YOUNG LADY PRINCESS?!

"... I'll be good."

... Great! Hehe! So, as I was saying...

"What are you doing here, big guy?" I asked him nicely, giving him my copyrighted, do not steel, smile. Big Mac didn't seem too happy to see me though. He was quietly talking to himself and he looked so very stressed and tired... stresired! When he finally looked at me, his eyes got real big and his face grew even longer! It was like he was really sad to see me! That was new!

"Miss Pinkie Pie," he said quickly. "M-mornin' to you... great mornin'... excellent mornin'... best mornin' I've seen in quite a good long while; perfect for apple growin', buckin', and producin' apple based products to sell to non-apple enriched ponies for the sake of mah apple themed family to whom I love all except for on-" And then he slapped a hoof over his mouth.

I was speechless... I was speechless! It usually takes me hours to get Big Mac to open up to me like that! Wowyzowy! I didn't know what had changed with him, but this was going to be amazing!

... Or so I thought.

"Mac!" I said. "Wowyzowy! You're kinda talkative today!"

He sighed when I said that.

"Eeyup... yes, correct, indeed, yeah, affirmative, damn straig-" and then his hoof met his mouth again. His face drooped as he removed it. "Pinkie, it's awful. I can't stop talkin'! I just can't! It feels like mah lips have to keep on flappin' or else I can't breathe!"

I giggled at that, relating to his woos. "I have that same problem too... well, actually more like the complete opposite! I talk soooo much that I can't breathe! The trick is to breathe when ponies aren't looking! That way you can talk extra extra extra extra long! It's the only real way to get the super important information across."

"But nothin' you ever say is ever important."

This gave me pause.

"... What do you mean, Mac?"

Big Mac looked away.

"Darn it all to Tartarus. Miss Pi-, no, cousin Pie, I didn't mean anything by that. This darn poison jokes got me talkin' up a storm. I feel compelled to tell everypony everythin' whether I want to or not..."

"But," I said, not in my usual cheerful voice but in my rarely used serious 'quite' voice. "B-but what you said is true, right?"

He looked really upset after I asked him that.

"Pinkie," he began. "You are by far the most cheerful pony I have ever had the pleasure of knowin'. You've dedicated you life to makin' other ponies happy and for that I respect you..."

I remember smiling at that...

"... but you're also the most irresponsible, borderline insane mare I've ever had the pleasure of warnin' other ponies about."

... I remember losing my smile at that.

"W-warn?"

Big Mac then nodded his head.

"I... I do. I warn all new residence to Ponyville I meet about your quirks. I warn them that you can be invasive, annoyin', and generally dangerous. I especially warn any new parents I cross paths with about you; tell them to keep an eye on their foals so they don't pick up your habits."

"O-oh..." I said gloomily.

"Everypony still loves you though," he tried to reassure me.

"Y-yeah, but..."

"Everypony, Pinkie," he said a bit more forcefully. "You know it's the truth..."

"... B-but..."

Big Mac then grunted angrily. "Darn it all," he said to himself. "This was what I didn't want to be doin' today." He started to head back the way he came, muttering to himself all the while. "Need to lay low... but I don't want to hurt mah family... maybe the park... but... b-but I need to talk to somepony... Urgh!"

With one last grunt he walked off towards town, leaving me here to... think.

___________

"And that's what happened," Pinkie Pie finishes, having returned to her usual cheery self.

"Oh Pinkie," Twilight starts sympathetically, her wing draped over the party pony's back comfortingly. "Are you okay? That was quite the rant you got..."

Pinkie bobs her head up and down happily.

"Uh huh. I'm okie dokie, really! I had some time to really think about it and, well, I think I'm okay with what Big Mac said. I am a bit too hyper at times, aren't I?"

Applejack, having momentarily been lost in thought, shakes her head in order to return to the present and give the party pony a warm smile.

"You are without a doubt, girl, but we love ya' all the same."

And thus a three way hug ensued.

"... Still though," Twilight finally says, breaking the hug up. "We really should try to find Big Macintosh. I'm starting to suspect that his affliction might be more serious then we thought."

"W-what do you mean, sugarcube?" Applejack asks fearfully, looking at her friend.

Twilight looks over at the farmer in return.

"Given the clues present in Pinkie Pie's story," she began. "I think we can assume that there's more to this affliction then we originally thought. He said he didn't want to stay at home because he was worried about hurting his family. What we can take away from this is that he has no control over what he says, not even control over when he says it."

The farmer simply tilts her head to the side.

"... Huh?"

"He said 'I need to talk to somepony'!" Pinkie explains loudly with a gasp, answering Applejack. "He said that he doesn't want to hurt anypony, but he still said that he needs to talk to somepony!" She then turns towards the sole alicorn in the group, actually looking serious. "He can't control that either, right Twilight?"

Twilight nods her head happily in return.

"That's correct, Pinkie!" she replies with a smile. "I think Big Mac has been given some sort of physiological need to talk to ponies, thus he's subconsciously seeking them out against his best wishes!"

"... Boy howdy," Applejack remarks, taking off her Stetson and resting it against her chest. "T-that's terrible! If that's true, then we need to round him up this instant!".

"I know." Twilight answers simply before continuing. "I think we'll need to split up for this, girls."

With the flap of her wings, Twilight takes to the sky. She calls down instructions as she ascends. "Applejack, you head off into town and look for him there. Look at parks and stores and wherever he may or may not go. He's your brother, so you should have the best chance in locating him."

Applejack pauses for a moment, something having crossed her mind, but then the orange earth pony shakes her head yet again and gives her friend a firm salute. "You got it," she confirms, placing her hat back atop her head.

"Pinkie Pie," Twilight continued to list. "Try to round up the other girls. Tell them the situation and try to get them to go with you. If they're busy with the chaos magic though then tell them to keep focusing on that for now. Applejack's patch might not be the only Poison Joke patch in town right now..."

"Okie dokie lokie!" salutes the pink earth pony quickly, now standing atop her hind legs.

Smiling comfortingly, Twilight finishes her instructions. "I'm going to try to search by the sky," she explains. "I'll keep you girls updated whenever I find som-"

Twilight's instructions were then suddenly cut off by a prismatic blur racing past her field of vision, momentarily shocking her out of her flight. After a quick adjustment, she rights herself out and lands roughly next to her two earthbound friends.

"Was... w-was that Rainbow Dash?" asks Applejack, staring at the colorful magical coattail now disappearing into the distance.

The princess of the group looks backwards momentarily, towards where the blur had come from, and then back towards where it was going. Frowning, she quickly spreads out her wings and lowers herself into a launching position.

"It was," she replies grimly, her smile now replaced with a neutral expression. She then smoothly transitions into giving more orders. "Change of plan, girls; Applejack, head down that way towards where Rainbow Dash came from. I think you'll find Big Macintosh there. I'm going to follow her this way. Pinkie, your goal is still the same, just exclude Rainbow Dash from the equation."

"You know I'm allergic to math, Twilight."

Ignoring Pinkie's assumed attempt at a mood lightening joke, Applejack asks the alicorn "What makes you so sure Big Mac is that way, Twi?"

Twilight's features grew hard. She refused to look at her friends and their worried expressions as she mutters "Because she was crying" before taking off into the big blue sky.