• Published 7th Sep 2014
  • 6,790 Views, 740 Comments

"If you ain't got anything nice to say..." - ManlyDerp



Big Mac has accidentally stepped in a patch of poison joke. The once quiet stallion now can't stop talking, no matter how much he wants to. Ponyville is about to get an earful. (WARNING: Contains character deconstruction and silly moments)

  • ...
43
 740
 6,790

Chapter 12

"Discord..."

"N-now, Princess Twilight, let's not be hasty here."

"Dis... cord..."

"Sure I may have teleported Big Mac away somewhere, b-but..."

"Discord..."

"I-It's not what it looks like! I swear!"

"Like hay it's not what it looks like!"

Discord's vision is soon filled with orange as Applejack jams her head into the spirit's face, cutting him off from the mentally breaking down alicorn. This was somewhat of a relief, but an angered earth pony wasn't much better.

"You damn snake!" Applejack starts. "What gave you the right to hurt mah brother like that?! Teleportin' him into Sugarcube corner, feedin' him to the darn wolves?!"

Sliding backwards across the ground, trying to get away from the enraged mare, Discord sputters, "I-I-I didn't mean to, Applejack! Honest! My magic is on the fritz! I was just trying to set him aside and talk to him privately about what he said to Fluttersh-"

"Fluttershy liked his comment, ya varmint!"

Discord blinks. "... Wha?"

Fluttershy, standing next to a quiet Pinkie Pie and an aghast Rarity, blushes deeply as she flutters over to the draconquus' side.

"Discor-"

"Discord..."

The group looks over at the still clearly malfunctioning and unhinged Twilight Sparkle's interruption before returning their attention to Fluttershy.

"... Discord," she resumes. "I told you how friends don't always get confrontational about things that happen to their friends... but you didn't listen, so now we're upset. Do you understand what you did wrong here?"

Discord face droops.

"Y-yes, Fluttershy. I do... I just thought that having your flank being glorified like it was would be something you'd be upset about, s-so I wanted to fix the problem.

"I didn't know that Big Macintosh stepped in Poison Joke today though... I didn't know at all... I'm sorry, Applejack."

Applejack's angered face lightens a bit at Discord's display of apparent honesty.

"... Well," the farmer begins. "I'm still mad at you like you wouldn't believe... but I think I can let this slide, dependin' on what you did to mah brother."

Discord cringes.

"W-well... I set him up with a magic mirror that let's him rant at ponies without hurting them..."

The orange earth pony's face brightens considerably at this news.

"R-really?" Applejack asks excitedly, a smile slowly forming on her lips. "Without hurtin' them? Y-you really did that for him?"

Again Discord cringes. He looks away.

"E-eh, yes... that was the plan. I-I hit a bit of a snag though, h-heh. Y-y-you see... funny story..."

"DISCORD Q. DRACONQUUES!!"

All eyes fall on Princess Twilight, whose mind has apparently finally left the angered daze it was in thanks to the rather advance summoning spell (and the rather advance onset of an aneurysm), and has decided to take over the reins of the conversation. With a flare of magic, Discord is lifted into the air and brought before the alicorn.

"This... this..." she begins to fume, steam actually leaving her snout as she does. "This has all been your fault, hasn't it?!"

"W-wha?"

"I told her about the seeds," Fluttershy explains loudly, so Discord could hear. She then approaches Twilight's side. "I also told her how it wasn't your fault! Not at all! Twilight," the flying pegasus says to her friend. "You need to calm-"

A burst of magic sends a gale of wind in Fluttershy's direction, gently pushing her off her flight path.

"Oh no, Fluttershy," Twilight explains in a half laugh half growl. "No no no no no... Maybe he wasn't the reason behind the seeds being gone. Maybe he wasn't the reason behind my Death Castle being what it is... but I know that he's the reason behind the Poison Joke! He created the stupid thing! Celestia taught me that herself last time I saw her!"

All eyes are now on Discord again.

He looks away. "Well, y-yeah, but that's just left over chaos magic from a thousand years ago! Not my current doing."

"Like the Plunderseeds?!"

"... Y-yes... like the Plunderseeds..."

Twilight twitches.

"Oooohhhh, well... erase the damn demon bane from existence then and we'll be A-okay! Heheheh now!" Twilight stomps her hooves twice against the ground, adding "Chop chop!"

"C-can't..."

Purple plumage scatters everywhere as the alicorn's wings hold themselves tall and firm above the cowering spirit of chaos.

"Oh of coooourse you can't. Of course! Why not?!"

"T-they're a natural part of the world now. I can't just make air disappear, after all... just some of it..."

"... Hehehehehe..."

Everypony takes a step back from the suddenly giggling unstable princess.

"Heheheheh fine!" Everypony jumps at the outburst, even Discord. "Well then... if you can't do that then at least tell us that Big Mac is safe. Maybe, just flipping maybe if he's okay then I'll be lenient on you."

Discord, now to his feet, takes a step back from the much smaller, but nonetheless intimidating magical creature.

"L-lenient?"

Twilight smiles brightly, her eyes closed in an effort to project a false image of serene peace.

"Yes... lenient... I have other ways of stoning you after all, Discord."

And thus did Discord's fear grew three sizes that day.

"I-I-I-I-I-I..."

Flapflap

A soft yellow hoof touches the spirit's mismatched shoulder. Fluttershy glares at Twilight from Discord's side.

"Twilight, you're getting too emotional again."

Twilight again twitches.

"Can you fluffing blame me for being upset, Fluttershy?!" she argues. "I come back to town after chasing a crying Rainbow Dash, only to then find you girls here talking about how Big Mac just committed social suicide while I was gone! Besides that, after all you've seen happening around town this week due to my Celestia forsaken new home... can you fluffing blame me?!"

"That doesn't give you the right to push the blame entirely on Discord for his mistakes though!"

"I'm a bucking princess, Fluttershy! Assigning blame is one of my core legal rights now!"

"Twilight!"

"..."

"... Twilight..." Fluttershy repeats gloomily. She waves a hoof towards their gathered group of friends and explains how "All this yelling isn't getting Applejack any closer to seeing her brother again..."

"You're hurting your friends, Twilight," surprisingly speaks up Pinkie Pie, of all the saddened ponies. "... You're hurting us..."

"..."

Twilight shakily raises a hoof to her chest, takes a deep breath of air, then exhales equally as deeply while her hoof slowly extends outwards. She repeats her foalsitter's breathing technique three more times in silence before letting out one last long puff of air. She lands gently on the ground, takes a few more breaths for good measure, then folds her wings and looks over her friends.

"... I'm sorry," she says to the best of her frazzled nerves' ability. "I'm sorry everypony. I'm sorry... Discord... That wasn't very mature of me to do..."

"Darling... it's okay," Rarity replies for the group. "I think I can relate to the stress you must be feeling, just a little bit. I think we all can, in one form or another."

"I-I-I can too, princess."

All eyes return to Discord.

"T-that sickly feeling in your gut when everything goes to Tartarus?" the chaotic spirit asks. "The one you feel when you absolutely know that excrement has hit the fan?" Discord gulps. "W-well, I'm feeling that right now... thinking about how fast these good vibes are about to disappear on us once I tell you how colossal of a mess I've unintentionally made for everypony..."

Silence befalls the group.

Twilight's eye twitches again.

With no one watching her, Fluttershy silently facehooves to herself.

"Darn it all, Discord. We had a good thing going here..."

"... Go on..." Twilight says flatly, no hint of emotion.

Discord gulps. "W-well, you sort of summoned me at a bad time. Like I-I said, I set him up with a magic mirror, so he wouldn't hurt anypony... but my magic has been all faulty lately, right? S-so, one thing led to another and... well... Spike, he..."

Twilight's eyes widen. Her horn begins to glow a pure white as flames lick her coat.

"What about Spike?" she asks hauntingly. "If you left him alone with Mac..."

"I-I-I did... but he's fine! Perfectly fine! Big Mac can't hurt him!"

The magic cuts off and the flames die along Twilight's form.

Discord shrinks down towards the ground.

"... Because I may have sorta kinda accidentally... Discorded him..."

The magic fire returns to Twilight's being.

"What?" she screams, the word 'enraged' too mild to properly describe the event.

"I-it was an accident!" Discord cowers. "I swear it by all that is unholy it was an accident!"

"What did you do to him?!" Twilight demanded.

"U-um... Unintentionally t-turned him into Mac's ghost writer?"

Twilight fumes quietly, her anger simply coasting in a straight line at this point, boiling under the surface.

"... So, Big Mac is somewhere in town right now, talking to a magic mirror..."

"U-unknowingly writing Princess Celestia a very interesting friendship report, f-from the Friendship Death Castle," Discord weakly confirms, nodding his head.

"..."

"..."

"... Discord..."

Poof

With a burst of purple magic a bucket and broom appear before the spirit of chaos. He numbly grabs them without thinking about it.

"Clean up town," The Princess of Friendship decreed. "All of it. Every, single, square, inch. Get rid off all the dust, get rid of all the mud, get rid of all the stray outside magic..."

Poof

Another flare a magic brings up a small mountain of packet seeds.

"Put the magic in these. Create new Plunderseeds. Return each and every seed to me. Don't try to hide any; I've counted how many there are here."

Twilight then points a hoof behind herself.

"Go. Now. Make yourself useful."

Discord looks over his tools and at the pile of seeds.

"But..."

"Go."

"But I want to hel-"

"Go."

"Please list-"

"Go."

"You're not bein-"

Poof

With a third and final effort of magic, Twilight summons a blindfolded creature of nightmare out of thin air.

"KKKKRRRRREEEE!!!" Wails the small monster.

Discord stumbles backwards.

"GOOD CHOATIC GOAT LORD ABOVE!! W-WHAT IN THE WORLD?!"

Her friends back away as well as Twilight passively trots over to her new 'pet's' side.

"Discord, meet Owilicious The Second."

The cockatrice lets out another shrill cry.

"... Owilicious The Second isn't as cuddly as Owilicious The First."

Poof

A purple light envelops the half chicken, half snake creature before it disappears.

"Go," commands Twilight one last time blankly, though her voice held some measure of her earlier anger.

Discord lifts himself to his feet, frightfully looks the princess in the eyes, sweeps his gaze over the rest of the gathered ponies, then reluctantly lowers his head in defeat. He grabs his 'gifted' tools, conjures a large sack to carry the flower packets, then gloomily heads further into town.

The girls are silent as they watch the draconquus leave.

As soon as he's out of sight, a heated round of questioning begins.

"Sug! What they hay was that all about?!"

"Why were you such a meanie pants to him?!"

"Dear, what you did was uncalled for! How could you?!"

"What are you doing blindfolding that poor creature?!"

Twilight lowers her own head, grumpily trotting off in the other direction towards her home. She doesn't ignore her friends though.

"Because he did more harm then good for Big Mac, Applejack. Because it's dangerous to let him have a big head, Pinkie Pie. I did what I had to, Rarity. There's no such thing as Owilicious The Second, Fluttershy. It was just an illusion I made awhile ago in the case something like this ever happened, in order to keep him inline."

The four other ponies look at each other, equally satisfied and unsatisfied by their answers at the same time. Their friend was clearly reaching the tipping point between being a stable pony and becoming something akin to nightmare incarnate.

"... Discord planned this, girls," Twilight speaks over her shoulder to her trotting friends. "I know he did... I don't care what he says or what you think... He planned this..."

The girls are silent, but Applejack eventually speaks up.

"I... I don't know about that, Twi..."

"You were the one most angry at him, AJ," the princess is quick to point out.

Applejack looks away. "Well, y-yeah... but that was before I saw him cowering before you not two minutes ago!"

Twilight stops. Her friends watch as she performs her breathing exercise one more time before turning around to face them.

"... Do you know how I know he planned this, girls?"

The girls are again silent.

Twilight smiles weakly.

"I know, because out of anywhere, anywhere at all that he could have taken Big Mac, he choose to take him to the worst place in Ponyville for him to be right now. The, absolute, worst."

"... The Friendship castle?" Asks Rarity, remembering Discord's final words to them.

With a weak nod of her head, Twilight confirms that this is true.

"W-what's wrong with your place, Twi?" Asks Applejack. "I mean, besides it being a Death fortress and whatnot."

"Oh Applejack," Twilight coos softly. "Think back to this morning. Aaallllll the way back then. Do you remember what I told you?" the alicorn asks before looking over all of her friends. "Do any of you remember why it is that I'm so stressed out?

"It's because I have not had a single ounce of sleep this past week. None at all. That's because I've been doing nothing, nothing at all but solve every earth pony's problem."

"... Y-yeah... so?" cautiously asks Applejack.

Twilight keeps on smiling.

"... Guess who I've seen the most this week, Applejack," Twilight says, sounding almost playfull. "Just guess. Out of all the farmers and planters and hobbyists in this town, guess whose had the most troubles this week. Guess who I've seen every, single, day, and who I'm probably going to receive a visit from right now.

"Go on... freaking guess."

___________

"Hello? Princess Twilight? It's me again. S-sorry to bother you for the fifth time this week, but my garden is talking to me again. The trees have stopped glowing though... but I think the sunflowers are speaking in Neighponese...Are you here?"

The earth pony places a hoof upon the castle's doors, causing them to gently open of their own whim. They were still busted from Discord's earlier entrance, but the mare doesn't know this.

"... Hello?" The pony calls out again. "Twilight? Are you in here?"

She receives no response.

"..."

With a clip and a clop, her mind having been made up, Miss Cheerilee foolishly enters the Friendship Death Castle.