• Published 7th Sep 2014
  • 13,528 Views, 785 Comments

Equinophobia - eLLen



Human + The fear of horses + Equestria = A horrifying time in a land of happiness. A story of an out-of-place person adapting to her new enviroment.

  • ...
75
 785
 13,528

Chapter 9 Happily Homely Horses

The four talked to each other for a time, taking turns to share about themselves and tell some stories, though the focus was on the DJ and the natural human since they last two already knew each other.

“And that’s how I got permanently banned from the Royal Orchestra’s concerts,” Vinyl said, finishing one particularly bass-heavy story. She sat on the couch still but with the blanket wrapped around her in a way that pertained more to its actual purpose of keeping warmth. “How about you, Wolfe? We haven’t heard much from you yet.”

Ryan sat reclining in an arm chair that was pointed away from the couch that housed the collection of the other three, Twilight a pony once again, though she could still catch glimpse of them is she wanted. Not that she felt an urge to outside of pointless self-inflicted nervousness.

“Yeah, why don’t you tell us about yourself?” Twilight agreed, “I’m sure you have some of the best stories since you’re… not from around here, to say the least.”

“Heh, I’ll try,” Ryan said. She thought for a moment before starting in a mock-theatrical voice, “My name’s Ryan and I am an alien.” She got a small laugh from them out of that. “But really, I think I’m on another planet.”

“What makes you so sure?” Twilight asked. She was honestly a bit skeptical but she’d learned to be open to any possibility long ago. A certain pink pony had made sure of that.

“Well for one, we don’t have intelligent horses anywhere on the planet. Same with wyverns, pegasi, mismatched serpent things, and magic.”

“Wait, you don’t have magic?” Twilight inquired, trying to picture her own world without it. She wasn’t particularly fond of the result.

“Unless you count parlor tricks then no, no magic at all.”

“Then how could your species have progressed at all? Even less-magically oriented species such as griffins have relied on their inherent magic.”

“Griffins…?” Ryan murmured to herself before responding. “Yeah, no magic. I don’t know ancient history that well but I think we got by with building tools before anything else.”

Twilight gave a dissatisfied look at the answer, if it was really worthy of being called an answer. Tools alone couldn’t carry a species, she was sure. “What about that record player you have? How could that work without magic? It’s doing things I’ve yet to see around here.”

“Record player?” Ryan asked, “You mean my phone?”

“If that’s what you call it.”

Ryan pulled the phone out of her pocket for Twilight to confirm, which she did. “Um… I couldn’t explain it fully if I tried but it’s basically a very modern piece of technology. It runs on electricity and has a bunch of small, fancy parts that let it do things like play music. That help?”

“Not really.”

“Eh, I only know how to use it,” she simply replied, not having any idea to the intricacies that powered a phone.

“What’s this about a record player?” Vinyl asked with a raised eyebrow.

“This,” she said, holding it up for view, “It stores and plays music along with some other stuff. You said you were a DJ, right? Want to have a listen?”

Vinyl visibly perked up, “Totally! How often do you get to hear music from another world?”

Ryan fuddled with the touch-sensitive screen for a moment before unplugging the headphones and turning up the volume (which was closely watched by a fascinated lavender mare). The sound of a slow yet pleasant song soon filled the air; she vaguely remembered it as one she’d listened to last night during her thoughts. It was led by an electric guitar playing a catchy, repeating tune as long, drawn out vocals accompanied it in shifts. Both ponies listened intently, though one with a scientific interest and the other with musical interest.

“I can’t understand the words,” Fluttershy commented, a bit confused.

“The spell transfers concepts the speaker says,” Twilight explained, “A recording like this won’t work since that’s all it is: a recording.”

As another guitar made its way onto the scene, this one more distorted, Vinyl asked with a grin, “What instrument is that? I’ve never heard anything like it.”

“Electric guitar.”

“I’ve heard of guitars but not lightning ones.”

The woman considered correcting her she liked the sound of a “lightning-powered guitar.” “This one I do know. It’s a guitar but with the string vibrations turned into electric pulses.”

“How does that work?” both Vinyl and Twilight asked at once.

“…okay, maybe I don’t know it that well. But the one that’s playing right now is actually pretty mellow, especially when compared to the original one as the sing started. They can sound completely different from each other. Some are similar to a normal guitar and some sound like controlled static.”

“Why would you ever want to listen to static?” Twilight asked.

“I don’t know. Some people have different tastes,” she shrugged, “Anyways, what was I saying earlier?” she paused in thought for a moment, “Yeah, so Earth is different from here from what I’ve seen so far.”

“Earth?”

“That’s the name of the planet.”

“Ah.”

“Earth has a lot of grassy climates like the one I’ve seen around here but there’s a wide variety like jungles and snow and stuff. But as for us, humans, we’re not too unlike you guys. We make houses and build towns and erect cities. But I’m pretty sure we’re ahead in terms of technology if you guys are still using record players.”

“How far would you say?” Twilight asked.

“Well we haven’t used records in at least thirty years. Most people have things like that phone there. Of course, that’s just one industry so it’s not the best thing to make a judgment off of… Say, what’s your main means of transportation over long distances?”

“Rainbow Dash.”

“What?”

“Sorry, sort of an inside joke. She’s a friend of ours. But we do use trains for long distances.”

“Okay, that should be a bit more accurate, I think. Those started being replaced by cars some eighty years ago.”

Twilight looked inquisitive. “Cars?”

“Yeah. I assume you guys have carriages?” Twilight nodded. Ryan briefly pictured a horse-pulled carriage horse carriage but went back to the conversation. “A car is like a self-propelled carriage with someone controlling the speed and direction and stuff.”

“That sounds… interesting! Imagine all the possibilities it has,” Twilight said, “Well, you probably already know but that could open up all kinds of opportunities here. It would be like a train not attached to rails.”

Ryan just nodded, the discussion of Earth sending her thoughts to the little, blue planet. Twilight seemed to pick up on this.

“If you don’t mind me asking, what are you going to do now?”

“What do you mean?”

“Not that I’m telling you to leave, but, are you going to go home? You didn’t seem quite… content to stay here,” Twilight tried.

“Well,” Ryan said before sighing, “I’d like to. But I don’t know how.”

“Don’t know? Can’t you go the way you got here?”

“That’s the problem. I don’t know how I got here. I just woke up on that apple farm under a tree.”

“That’s… odd,” she said. She put on a thoughtful expression for a moment. “I’ll look into that.”

“You will?” Ryan reacted, the amended, “I mean, why? I understand if you want to help but…”

“Twilight is always looking into new things,” Fluttershy said, drawing a modest smile from the mare, “She’d probably enjoy it more than not.”

“She’s a princess after all. It’s her job to deal with the nonsense this kingdom gets,” Vinyl added, looking up from the music player. That one drew a less-modest smile.

“In that case, could you?” Ryan asked, “Or at least a way back?”

“I’ll look into both,” she assured.

“Thanks,” she said, looking over at them automatically before quickly turning back with a shake of her head.

“You seem to be doing a lot better,” Twilight noted.

“Yeah, it looks that way. I’ve never had a horse actually talk to me like a human so I guess that’s part of it. It’s mostly just seeing one. Honestly, though, I’ve felt a bit of anxiousness nagging at me this whole time. You can thank Vinyl for helping out, though.” She gestured over to her, where the mare nodded back in a good manner.

It was then that Ryan’s stomach decided to let her know of its plight. “Hungry?” Fluttershy asked, overhearing.

“I guess so. Never did finish lunch.” She briefly pondered whatever happened to that. “What I wouldn’t give for a philly right about now.”

If it wasn’t for being a phone, a record might have scratched.

“Did you say filly?” Twilight asked, not sure she heard right.

“Yeah,” came the oblivious reply.

“As in filly… filly?”

“Uh, yeah.”

“You eat fillies?” Vinyl piped in, her tone blunt.

“Yes? What’s so hard to believe about that? It’s just a sandwich.”

Three sets of eyes bore into the turned chair.

At the sudden, ongoing silence, Ryan took the initiative, “Is something wrong? Those aren’t banned here or something, right?”

More silence.

“Guys?” she started, a worried voice talking.

“Ryan?” Fluttershy asked warily, “Do you know what a filly is?”

“A sandwich?”

“I mean what it’s actually made of.”

“Um, that depends. I usually get a cheesesteak so-”

“A filly is a pony, Ryan!” Vinyl burst out.

Ryan knit her eyebrows. She couldn’t make a connection. “What?”

“A. Filly. Is. A. Pony.” She enunciated every word.

“…what? I’m not following.”

Twilight clarified, “A filly refers to a young, female horse.”

“Oh.” Her eyes widened. “Oh! You think I meant…”

Silence affirmed this.

“Okay, um… firstly, I don’t eat horses. At all. Secondly, a philly refers to a sandwich where I come from. That’s not made with horses.” She grimaced, imagining how the misunderstanding was like to them. “Yeah…”

“You don’t eat ponies?” Vinyl stressed.

“No. I swear.”

“Okay… good,” she softly replied, the tension falling out of her.

“Sorry for the… scare, I guess,” Ryan said awkwardly.

The three all voiced their own awkward agreements, insisting it was just a misunderstanding.

“So… dinner?” Twilight suggested, playing on Ryan’s earlier statement.

“Right,” Ryan agreed.

Fluttershy got up. “I’ll get to that.”

“No, I’ll do it,” Ryan interjected suddenly, “I’ll whip something up.”

“Are you sure? It’s not too much trouble.”

“I insist. You three… listen to music or something.”

“Can do,” Vinyl agreed eagerly.

Fluttershy look a bit hesitant, but she relented, “If you need help…”

“I know,” she dismissed, already walking into the kitchen.


Ryan hummed a tune as she washed the dishes, a dinner of a rather basic salad-type meal having been finished. Twilight had already left with a farewell and a “nice to meet a new friend.”

Friend? Ryan thought. Sure they’d made up but she didn’t seem to hold a grudge at all. Is everyone here so nice?

“Ryan?” a voice came from behind, catching her off guard in her thoughts, causing a plate she held to make its way out the slippery grip and into a crashing landing on the floor.

The woman looked down at the shattered remains for a moment. Then she looked up, cringing. “Sorry, Sorry!”

Vinyl looked down at the once pristine-shards. “You should probably tell that to Fluttershy. But anyways, I’m going to get going.”

“Oh, okay. I’ll see you around then? Or… hear you around?”

“Definitely. I still have to listen to everything your record player has,” she added light-heartedly.

“Heh, you like the sound of your lightning guitars?”

“You bet,” she laughed, “See ya later then.”

“See you. Oh, but Vinyl?”

“Yeah?”

“Thanks again. If it wasn’t for you I don’t know where I would be right now,” Ryan said earnestly.

“Probably eaten by a giant snake. But really, don’t mention it.”

They made their goodbyes, leaving Ryan alone again-until Fluttershy inquisitively looked in after Vinyl’s departure.

“Excuse me-oh my,” she said at seeing the newly-decorated floor by a broken plate.

“Sorry…” she apologized, “I’ll clean it up.”

“It’s alright. I just wanted to talk to you when you’re done.”

A feeling of unease fell through Ryan. Funny how someone that was described as “weak and helpless” could have that effect. “Sure,” she agreed in a moment.

Ryan finished the dishes and silverware and floor then proceeded out. She saw Fluttershy with some familiar medical supplies. Sitting next to her, Fluttershy started, “I want to get a look at your leg. It’s been getting a lot more use than it should be.”

“Okay,” she replied a bit guiltily.

As she began unwrapping the bandages, thankfully using her hands this time a bit more successfully, she talked, “Are you okay, Ryan?”

“Isn’t that what we’re finding out right now?” She tried to joke.

“I suppose,” she smiled, “But how are you, really? I can’t imagine the past few days have been easy on you.”

“I’m alright. It hasn’t been too easy, no. But it’s getting better all the time now,” she said with a light smile.”

“That’s good to hear,” Fluttershy replied. She inspected the leg that was now unwrapped. “You’re leg is healing remarkably well but all the activity has taken its toll. I want you to just relax tomorrow, okay?”

“Okay.”

As she started wrapping up, she commented, “Using my hooves to do things is so much easier now that I’ve gotten the hang of them. I normally use my mouth for things like this.”

“I noticed,” Ryan said under her breath.

Once she finished, she sat back for a moment, making sure her work was passing. Pleased, she looked at Ryan for a moment before dropping her gaze and her smile. “I’m sorry…” she said.

“Huh?”

“For putting you through so much yesterday and today.”

“Fluttershy-”

“If I had listened to you more, none of this would have happened.”

“Fluttershy,” Ryan said more sternly, forcing her attention, “I already told you. It’s my fault. You have nothing to blame yourself for.”

“But-”

“No, I’m not going to hear it. I repeat, everything that happened was my fault. Any misunderstandings were because of the language difference, and now that’s been… mostly fixed. Everything else was just me being an idiot.”

Fluttershy flinched at the self-depreciation but met her gaze, though confidence didn’t show. “When I scared you when you woke up, I could have-”

“It doesn’t matter,” Ryan said, cutting her off again, “What’s happened had already happened so there’s no use on pondering what could’ve been done differently. You only did what you thought was best and that’s all that matters.”

“…”

Ryan put on a serious face. “I want to hear you say it.”

The former-pegasus looked up confused.

“Say it’s not your fault.”

“I…”

Ryan gave an expectant stare.

“It’s not my fault…”

“Great. Now actually mean it.”

Fluttershy looked conflicted for a moment but looked into the solid eyed of Ryan. She shook off her uncertainty.

“It’s not my fault,” she said, a confident hint of a smile forming.

“There you go. Don’t ever forget that. You’re a really nice person, you know.”

She turned her head in modesty at the praise.

“Really. You take care of animals just because you want to. I can’t say I know anyone personally that could do anything like that. So from here on out, we’re good, alright?”

She glanced up. “Alright,” she agreed with newfound jovial.

They remained in an audible silence, yet not an awkward one, for the sake of the moment.

“If you don’t mind me asking,” Fluttershy started, “What are you planning to do? Twilight already asked you but what are you going to do until she finds an answer?”

“I’m not sure,” she admitted, “I’m thinking of just sticking around until then. I mean, if you wouldn’t mind. I don’t want to impose…”

Fluttershy smiled. “I’d be happy to let you stay. I already planned on it.”

“Thanks,” she returned, a little bit surprised at the answer. Fluttershy really was just the embodiment of kindness, huh? Little did she realize how literal that actually was.

“Do you… plan to get over your fear?”

Ryan paused. “Yeah,” she said, “I think so.”

“In that case, I’d like to help. If you would allow.”

“I’d like that,” she said, “Between you and Vinyl, I think it could work out well.”
Ryan adjusted her spot, leaning more against the couch, and her shirt sleeve being lifted up in the process.

“Oh, is that your cutie mark?” Fluttershy asked.

“My what?” Ryan glanced down to where Fluttershy seemed to be staring. On her arm was an image of a rectangular frame-like shape. The entire thing was stylized in a faded yellow pattern of lines and swirls. The inside of the frame way empty, leaving only unmarked skin.

“Your cutie mark,” she repeated, “Everypony gets one as foal when they find out what their special talent is. I haven’t seen my own on this body but mine is three butterflies.”

Fluttershy, butterfly? “I’m not sure I understand how that works,” Ryan said, “But this is a tattoo. I got it a few years ago.”

“It took that long to appear?” Flutershy asked, surprised. Her mind jumped to three ponies that would be horrified if they heard this.

“Appear? No. I went to a parlor to get it.”

Fluttershy gave a confused look. “It doesn’t appear when you find your special talent?”

“No. It’s not related to any talents either. I just chose to get it one day.”

“So… it’s just there because you wanted it to be?”

“Basically… What do you mean by appearing, by the way?”

“A cutie mark magically appears on a pony when they find what their best at in life. Mine represents my ability with animals.”

“That’s interesting,” Ryan replied, “I’ve never heard of anything like that back home. Then again, there’s a lot of things here I haven’t heard of back home.”

Fluttershy simply nodded then added, “What does it mean?”

“Huh?”

“Your… tattoo. If it’s not your talent, it surely has some other meaning, right?”

“Um… I never really thought about it too much. I honestly just liked the design,” she gave a small laugh, “But I suppose it does mean something. My brother has one similar to it, though a bit simpler and a different shape. I guess it represents us or something.”

“I didn’t know you had a brother. What’s he like?”

“In one word: ridiculous. But I love him for it. He was born some years after I was so I got to watch him grow up. We didn’t get along at first but now that we’re both grown up we’re the best of friends,” she finished, a bit of nostalgia bringing a pleasant smile. She didn’t have trips down her memories too often. It was nice. As Fluttershy smiled back, Ryan got a thought.

“Hey, do you mind if I just talk to you? Like, ask questions? This is the first opportunity I’ve gotten my whole time being here.”

“Not at all.”

“Okay. Mm, I already know I’m not on Earth but what’s the planet called?”

“Equus.”

“And where am I now?”

“Equestria. Outside of Ponyville.”

“Ponyville? You named the town after your species?”

“Yes,” she replied simply.

“Okay then,” she replied dismissively. She knew the information she was getting really wouldn’t help her much but it was strangely reassuring to at least have a name. “What about the castle on the mountain? I saw it shortly after I got here. What’s that place’s deal?”

“Oh, that’s Canterlot, the capital. That’s where the princesses rule.”

“Like Twilight?”

“No, she lives here in town. We have Princesses Celestia, Luna, and Cadence, though Cadence lives in the Crystal Empire.”

So that’s who Celestia is, Ryan thought. “Crystal Empire?”

“That’s a state under Equestrian rule.”

“What about the Crystal part? It export them or something?”

“Well, yes, but that’s not where the name comes from. It’s famous for the capital and its residents being made of crystal.”

“Wait, the people that live there are made of crystal?”

Fluttershy nodded, “That’s right. My friends and I even got turned into their kind for a bit.”

“How did that happen? Twilight’s spell?”

“No. It’s a sort of long story. Want to hear it?”

“Sure.”

“Okay then,” Fluttershy started, “Hm… I guess I should first tell you about who Cadence and my friends are…”

The former-pegasus told her story, or rather, stories, since one story lead to another which moved into another, to the fascinated yet skeptical Ryan, the latter questioning some of the stranger aspects of the adventures she heard (The moon for a thousand years? Really?). However, she went along with the flow of the words, content in just listening.

The time passage barely registered for either of them as the night went on, closing one eventful day.