• Published 6th Sep 2014
  • 3,116 Views, 42 Comments

A Nightmareish Apprentice - FluffyDoom



Twilight didn't flare up when hatching Spike. She didn't hatch him at all! Still though, she got accepted as the youngest student ever to get into that school, and managed to attract a different princess. Nightmare Moon.

  • ...
10
 42
 3,116

You're going to be late!

Chapter 1: You’re going to be Late!

She sighed in happiness as her dream ended. In her dream she had not failed in hatching the dragon, and as soon as the dragon had hatched, she jumped on its back and flew on it. She and the dragon, who was soon named Lilly, flew over Canterlot castle, and over the everfree itself. They flew higher, and higher, all the way to the moon!

Beep! Beep! Beep!

The annoying noise reminded her why the fantastic dream had ended. Ugh, when would that annoying sound stop? She only wanted to sleep more after those exhausting exams… The exams had been yesterday, her first day was today! She was going to be late!

Eight years old, and Twilight had passed all the exams, save for the optional one, with straight A’s. However, that gave her no excuse to lounge around in bed!

“Mom!” She cried out. “Skip breakfast, I need to hurry to get back on schedule!”

“Twilight Sparkle! It is only 5:45, and school starts at 7:45!” Velvet replied from downstairs.

“I know, I am 15 minutes off!” She wailed and hurried to the shower. Fifteen minutes, a whole quarter of an hour! An hour was only 60 minutes. She only had two times 60 to get ready for school! She needed fifteen more minutes to make sure everything was perfect!

Fretting about it, she decided she could cut her ten minute shower short by five minutes, and instead of relaxing a bit in it she went straight to shampooing and washing her mane and coat. As soon as that was done, she jumped back out to dry off as quickly as she could. Feeling confident that was well within five minutes she brushed her mane and trotted out.

Fixed the schedule.

Twilight grinned silly, not even bothered by the fact that her flank was still blank as she readied for her very first day of school! Oh she was so excited!

“Backpack, check! Locker combo memorized, 2868, check! Checklist, list!” She squeaked with joy. “I am ready, and with 1 hour, 3 minutes, and 20 seconds to spare.” She stood still and grinned.

Twilight Velvet watched her daughter with slight concern as she stood there grinning, not moving an inch.

“Honey, are you um, ok?”

Twilight didn't stop grinning but a small sweat appeared on her forehead. “Perfect mother! I mean, I still don’t have my cutie mark, and I am the youngest student to enter that school ever, but I am peachy!”

Velvet sighed. “Honey, you will do fine. And remember, any bullies you gain are just jealous nancies!” She put a comforting hoof around the statue-like filly. “Relax, you will be fine. You will make lots of friends too I bet!”

The last sentence snapped Twilight out of her body-lock. “Friends?” She growled. “I don’t need friends. Friends didn’t get me this far, and they will only slow me down now. A mentor I could get behind, but nothing less.”

Velvet was taken aback by the tone of dislike in her daughter, but assumed it was just a phase. “Whatever you say, sweetums.” She sighed.

The time finally came and Twilight walked to school with her mother and fathers fare-well wishes. They put a protective shield over her in case of an unlikely mugger, and sent her off. They wouldn't be there for their little girl anymore, as the school was a boarding school, and she would live there now.

Twilight Sparkle walked the one mile to school all on her own, which was her request, but now she was starting to regret it. The beautiful morning sun, the quiet walk, only bird chirps to make sound. It was oddly all unnerving as she walked the streets alone, only her parents shield to protect her for a few hours. Granted, they were extraordinary unicorns with lots of power, and they were known nobles. Very few would dare to mess with their extra-smart daughter.

Finally, an hour later she arrived right on time at the school. There were four main buildings. Two were wings for the girl and boy dorms, then there was the school building itself, tall and majestic. A large dome graced its top, while two spires for star-gazing saddled its sides. It was originally a palace that was owned by a noble from the three tribes times, but it had been converted into a top-notch school centuries ago. The females dorm rooms stood proudly on the right, while the male counterpart was on the left of the building. The fourth building was mainly storage.

Being the genius in general that she was, Twilight would have liked to ogle more about its structure, but she really had to get going. The principle, aka Celestia herself, wanted to speak to her! Twilight couldn't comprehend why, but she hopped she wasn't already in trouble for not hatching the dragon!

She entered the grand great-hall. If she went forward she would have soon found the cafeteria. To her left there was a hall that lead to all the classrooms that involved learning mainly with paper, pencil, and books. A little farther down her left she could find the spell-casting classes, and science experiments. On her right, a few wonderful white halls led to the exercise, musical, extra places. Farthest down on the right, that would be her path, was the hallway that lead to the nurse, principal offices, and counselors.

She trotted to the last path, her hooves clicking lightly on the marble floor, though when she left the great-hall, she would be walking on a red carpet that snugly stayed on the marble. Equally bleach-white stone walls surrounded her, and it quickly came to her attention that despite its greatness, the school was very… Monotoned. A little yellow, but mostly white. It struck her, despite how young she was, a bit odd. Why only white?

Because it was a new school year, and Twilight was early, very few ponies roamed the hall, and those that did gave her a weird look.

Even though Twilight didn’t like the looks they gave her, she had to approach one as she became lost in the great school. Just because the four main hallways were split up into sensible areas, it didn't stop the school from springing other hallways on her and adding to the confusion.

“Excuse me, Miss!” She squeaked out to a student, and quickly cleared her throat. She was young, and it struck her how silly she might sound to them.

The earth pony mare gave her a curious look. “Yeah, youngun?” She asked.

Twilight guessed that she was at least 15, which was 8 years older than her. It was kind of intimidating, but she pushed it aside. “Where could I find the principals office?”

The dark brown mare with golden eyes and light brown mane laughed. “Ohohoho! Pipsqueak, you are three years too young for that. Or maybe four or five.” She continued to laugh.

It didn’t take Twilight long to become red in the face. “My name is Twilight Sparkle, and I am the youngest student to attend Canterlot School for the elite and gifted ponies!” She stated. “Now please stop laughing so rudely at me, and direct me to the principle!”

The mare continued to grin, despite Twilight being a bit rude herself. “You got spunk, Sparky.”

“Twilight Sparkle.”

“Whatever Sparky, as I was saying you got spunk. IF you really are supposed to be here, and I doubt you are, then you may want to watch your attitude around others. They aren’t as easily amused by spunky little Sparkies like I am.”

“It’s Twilight Sparkle!” She huffed. “And if you won’t help me, then I will just go ask some other pony!”

“Fine, you just go down this hall to the very end, turn right, and go to the end of that hall. You can find either the principal, or the vice principal there.” She relented. “If you need more directions, just find me, Chocolate Noms.”

“Thankyou!” Twilight grinned, the hated squeak re-entering her voice.

“Cya later Sparky, that is, if you really go here!” Chocolate called out as the blank-flank filly ran off.

Twilight knew she found the correct office. Two large brown wooden doors stood before her, each one elegantly carved and standing five times her height. She gulped nervously, all her worries catching up with her. Was she really in trouble already? IF she was, would they punish her? Would they suspend her, or worse, give her an F?! What if they kicked her out of the school!

“Calm down, Twilight.” She spoke to herself in a shaky voice. “That-that won’t happen!” Forcing herself to believe her own words she knocked on the heavy wooden doors.

“Come in.” A cold voice cut through the wood, its words spoken with an icy purpose.

Twilight struggled to open the doors physically, but with the help of her magic she succeeded. “H-h-hello.” She squeaked, her voice higher than usual.

“Ah, it is the youngest student. Twilight Sparkle.” The mare greeted her. “Hello to you too, come sit.” She ordered.

The mare before her had a megaphone for a cutie mark, and a light-blue unicorn horn poking up out of her white and light-blue short hairdo. Her eyes were a silvery color, and though nothing about her outer looks spoke warmth, a kind light was ignited in her eyes, and Twilight began to hear past her crystal clear and cold voice.

“Greetings Twilight.” She began as the lavender mare sat down. “The princess was unable to meet you today, but I am Vice-Principal Icy Locks, or just Miss Icy Locks. I mainly run the school for her, but you can see her here from time to time. Aside from that, the main point I asked you here, is to help you understand something.

“You are the youngest unicorn, no, pony, ever to enter the school. Everypony was highly impressed by you.” She praised. “Students here might be jealous though, so we have refrained from showing them your grades if they asked. They do, do that from time to time. I want to tell you, that if you ever get bullied for anything, you blank flank, your age, or even your looks, though I approve of your orderly mane, you just come down here, and tell me personally if you wish. We take the feelings of our students very seriously, and after the last serious bullying case we had here, we want to make sure it never happens again. Never.

Twilight gulped. “If you don’t mind me asking, what happened?”

Icy frowned deeply. “It was a very rare type of bullying, though any bullying here is rare from what I can gather, it got physical, and on more than one occasion. The bully was eventually dealt with by Celestia herself, and the victim wanted to quit school altogether, but we convinced him to stay long enough to graduate.”

“What did she do to the bully?” Twilight asked, curious as ever.

“She not only banished him from the school, she suspended him from Equestria for one whole month. He was much too young to be put in jail, but she heard he had some griffin friends he could live with. After making the proper arrangements he got to learn how harsh life is outside our fair country. Off of that grim subject though! I doubt you will be bullied here.” Icy Locks said.

Twilight thought about Chocolate, who seemed like a nice pony, even if she was annoying. “I meet a pony on the way here. She only teased me, but I don’t think she meant to hurt my feelings, and she didn’t.”

Miss Icy nodded. “Yes, you also shouldn’t be a tattle-tail. Learn to tell the difference between teasing and bullies.” She suggested. “Did you like this mare?”

“Chocolate Nom did give me directions here, so I guess so?” Twilight answered unsure. “I don’t really know her though.”

Icy Locks tapped her hooves together. “Well, I should send you to your dorm room. Do you have everything you need?”

“All in my saddlebags!” Twilight grinned.

“Wonderful. you go get settled, I shall have a pony fetch for with a schedule for today, and then with your permanent one.”

“Oh, thank you so much!” Twilight exclaimed.

“No troubles dear, even our youngest and newest students must be protected.” Icy said warmly, waving a hoof, “Now off you trot!”

Author's Note:

Annnd here is my newest story!
Tell me any glaring errors, and comment your compliments (or complaints)!