• Published 27th Sep 2014
  • 1,178 Views, 27 Comments

That Awkward silence - Eveyann

  • ...
5
 27
 1,178

Letting The Teardrops Fall

After the party finished and Rarity had got her emergency dress safely outside, Applejack started to trot back home with her brother. "So, you danced with Fluttershy," She said with a grin the size of Equestria plastered on her face.
"Eeyup," He said plainly as Applejack nudged him with her forehoof.
"Ooooh, do you love her?" AJ teased.
"Nope," He lied. In reality, he’d had feelings for the small mare since he was a colt but was too afraid of scaring her, so he kept his distance.
"Then why were you dancing with her? Did Pinkie Pie just fail at matchmaking again?"
"Eeyup.”
"BWAHAHAHAHAHA, I mean you and wee little Fluttershy?" She wiped a tear from her eye. "Priceless."
"Why is it so impossible for me to be with Fluttershy?" He snapped. Oooh somepony was talkative today, well at least by Big Mac’s standards.
"Because it’s you," She said firmly "You're an Apple, hard as rock, and little Fluttershy is as soft as ice cream inside a volcano!" Big Mac’s heart plummeted.
"Eeyup." He stayed silent all the way back to the barn, listening to his sister talk about her friend’s antics and walked silently off to bed.


The next morning, Applejack watched her brother set off along the road with a massive train of heavy applecarts while tending her crops. It was a hot, sunny day especially for early spring. As she worked, her mind swiftly fell back to Caramel. Why had dancing with him felt so right? Last time she checked, the stallion had a girlfriend and that wasn't long ago. Caramel was always on the farm; He practically lived there. They were practically siblings! It should have felt as weird as flirting with Big Mac. She remembered when their eyes locked on to one another, she had felt as if she was flying; soaring, walking on clouds... did pegasi feel this way all the time?


Caramel was trotting over to the Apples’ barn, dust was blowing in his mane as his mind raced with thoughts of Sassaflash and everything between them; he remembered every time they kissed, every time she said she loved him, every time she had smiled and told him he was the only one. "LIES!" He spat under his breath. Fresh tears dripped from his eyes, which he instantly blinked away. If he cried now, she would have won, she can't win, he thought desperately.

As he approached the barn, his mouth watered at the smell of freshly baked apple pie "Mmm," He drooled. He slowly raised his left hoof to knock the barn door. Knock, knock, knock. The door swung open to reveal Big Mac, his best friend. "Hey, Big Mac, you alright?" He asked
"Eeyup." Caramel walked in, Big Mac motioned for him to sit down.
"Thanks, I need to talk to you... it's Sassaflash. She’s cheating on me, she was lying to me... she's such a BITCH!"
"Eeyup."
"After all I did for her, this is how she repays me?" He turned directly to Big Mac "You know how much I loved her."
"Eeyup."
"You know what?"
"Nope."
"I Hate Her. I Hate Her. I Hate Her!" Caramel roared, tears streaming down his face.

Tears of love, tears of hate, tears of sadness all in his eyes, he was brimming with emotions. He slumped to the floor. "And you know what? She doesn't deserve me, does she?"
"Nope."
"Thank you, Big Mac. You're a great friend."
"Eeyup." They shared a melancholy smile.
"Anyway, I’m going to go see Sassaflash and tell her how I feel in a calm and collected manner," He explained. "See ya, Big Mac."
"Eeyup." As Caramel turned to the door a mare bumped into him, a very pink mare.
"Pinkie?!" Caramel asked incredulously.
"That’s my name, don't wear it out!" Pinkie giggled.
"WHAT?! Why are you here?"
"Well I had a leg twitch, tail twitch, and tongue flutter which means that Caramel is sad and angry at sweet apple acres."
"Huh? WHAT? BUT-" Caramel spluttered.
"Don't think about it too hard," Big Mac advised.
"I'm fine now, Pinkie," Caramel said with a weak smile on his face.
"Hmm..." Pinkie gave him a look that told him she didn't really believe him "Well. okay..." She said slowly.
"Oh!" She gasped as inspiration hit her like a bolt of lightning. "Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and I are all going out for a camp out tonight, and I'm inviting Applejack, Fluttershy, and Twilight, too! You guys should totally come along!"
"Um, thanks, but why?"
"Cause duhh! You're all sad and gloomy-"
"Ah ain't." Pinkie seemed to ignore him and carried on.
"Aaand because he needs to keep you company,” She said to Caramel. She then turned to Big Mac.“Plus I know a certain filly that would love to see you there."
"Who?" Big Mac asked.
"Fluttershy! DUH!" The Pink pony replied.
"Eeyup- ah mean nope- ah mean- wait, what?" Big Mac stuttered while Caramel chuckled.
"Anyway, I've gotta get some marshmallows for tonight. See ya!" And with that, she bounced down the lane and out of sight.

"Unless mother nature’s got any more surprises for me, I've gotta go too. See ya, Big Mac." Caramel said looking at Big Mac, who was just standing in a corner muttering a series of "Eeyups" and "Nopes" under his breath. Caramel was just walking out when Apple Bloom walked in.
"Er, Caramel? What's up with Big Mac?" She asked, staring at her brother, confused.
"I think Pinkie might have broken him," He chuckled before closing the door.


It was mid Afternoon when Applejack started bucking trees. All Applejack could think about was him. Why was she falling like this? She couldn't love Caramel. I don’t have time for this sort of rubbish. She turned to buck the nearest apple tree, but missed by a couple of feet and landed with a splat in the mud. She tasted dirt in her mouth and avoided gagging from the smell of manure freshly put on the crops that morning. She groaned and slowly picked herself up, her ears perking up as she heard suppressed laughter above her. "Rainbow Dash! Stop yer giggling and help me out." More laughter. "RAINBOW DASH!" Applejack screamed so loud that the birds roosting in the apple trees squawked in surprise.

"He, he. Alright, I'm coming, geesh! Ha, ha." Rainbow Dash smirked. She hauled her friend up. "So, have a nice 'trip'?" She teased.
"Oh, yes it was quite splendid. I had a fantastic time." Applejack said sarcastically, glaring at Rainbow dash.
"Sorry," Rainbow Dash apologized half-heartedly. "So, how was that grass facial? I see it’s done wonders for your freckles!" She said, putting on a fake Manehatten accent.
"DASH! Did you come all this way just to tease me or did you want to ask me something?" She shouted harshly, fixing Rainbow Dash with a glare that could knock a fully grown stallion off his hooves. Dash, seeing she had upset her friend hung her head low.
"Sorry, I got carried away," Rainbow Dash apologized before pulling her into a tight embrace.
"Yeah, you were pretty rotten," Applejack joked before hugging her friend back.

A moment later, Rainbow Dash stiffened. "Yeah, there was something I wanted to ask you," She mumbled stepping back from the embrace. "Pinkie’s preparing a campout tonight and I was wondering if you would like to come. We’re all going and so are Big Mac and Caramel." Applejack shot Rainbow Dash a look of confusion. "Pinkie Pie said that Caramel was looking down in the dumps and wanted to cheer him up." Applejack nodded in reply "And Big Mac is keeping him company." Applejack smiled.
"He's good at that, he always listens and understands you," Applejack cheered proudly "And he's someone you can tru-"
"Applejack!" She interrupted "Not that I doubt your brother’s a great guy and all...” She paused for a moment “But I gotta fly. I need to move these clouds before sunset."
"Alright, I've gotta buck more apple trees before Big Mac finds out ah’ve been slacking!"
"Alright, gotta fly!" Rainbow Dash yelled before taking to the sky. Applejack took a deep sigh before getting back to work.


Caramel was trotting through the orchard. His talk with Big Mac had put him in a better mood, but his mind was still racing and his heart was still scarred. He hated Sassaflash for what she did, but he still loved her, didn't he? Doubt filled his mind. If he had truly loved Sassaflash then he wouldn't have feelings for Applejack. He remembered last night when they danced. He must have messed up at least five times, and she didn't even look at him till the dance was over. Plus, she ran away the second Octavia put down her bow. Oh Celestia, I messed up so bad. He sat down on patch of grass that looked inviting, reached into his saddlebag and pulled out a small box. He slowly opened it to reveal a ring. The diamond had been shaped into a heart and the gold band was engraved with the words "I love you". He had planned to give it to Sassaflash last night. Of course, that would never happen now. He choked back tears, he had given up so much for Sassaflash and she couldn't even be faithful. He put the ring away in his saddlebag, laid on the grass, and let the tears fall.


Applejack’s ears perked up. She could hear something muffled in the distance. Is that somepony cryin’?. She raced over to see what it was. Through the trees she just glimpsed Caramel. She ran over to him. "Caramel, are you ok?" She asked, concerned.
"Yeah, I’m fine," He said wiping away tears. "I just had something in my eyes," He lied, which Applejack spotted immediately.
"Yeah, like a bunch of lies," Applejack said with one eyebrow raised. Caramel looked down and whimpered. "Caramel, please tell me what wrong."
"Sassaflashcheatedonme..."
"Pardon? Ah didn't quite catch that. Wanna run it by me again?”
"Sassaflashcheatedonme!"
"Still didn't catch that," Applejack said with a confused look on her face.
"Sassaflash cheated on me!" He sobbed. Realization hit Applejack like a train at full speed: that's why he was sad, why he had to see Big Mac, why he hadn't gone to Pinkie's party with Sassaflash. She had thought it was strange.
"Ah'm so sorry, Caramel," She said while giving Caramel a light hug.
"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault," He said. "You know, I was planning on marrying Sassaflash. I loved her, I really did, and she just used me."
"Oh Caramel, ah don't know what ta say," She said, hugging him again and letting him cry into her. Nopony should have to cry alone.

Suddenly, they heard a shrill shriek from above. "Apple Tart! Get your hooves off my coltfriend!"
"S-Sassaflash," Caramel sputtered as the light blue pegasus descended down to them.
"Y'all have some nerve turning up here after what yah did ta Caramel here," Applejack growled.
"What I did to Caramel? Caramel ran off before I could explain and then I find him in the hooves of another mare! If anything, he should be apologizing to me," She said smugly to Applejack. Applejack grinded her teeth and glared at the smirking mare before her.
"And what, exactly, is your explanation?" Applejack said skeptically.
"It was the plumber. My pipes got damaged over the winter and I had to get a plumber to fix it." She’d said it so smoothly that not even Applejack could find any hint that she may be lying.
"And yer sure he wasn't putting his plunger somewhere else?" Applejack spat.
"Applejack, stop," Caramel said softly, his emotions going into overdrive, going from sad, to angry, to remorseful, and back to sad in a few seconds, his eyes flipping frantically from Applejack to Sassaflash. They finally rested on Sassaflash. "I’m sorry," He whined to her.
"Well, because I'm such a kind and loving mare, I'll forgive you. But if you go near that whore again," She said, glaring at Applejack while stroking Caramel’s mane possessively. "I won't be so forgiving." Applejack opened her mouth to protest but thought better of it as Caramel gave her a pleading look and simply leveled a glare at Sassaflash.

As Sassaflash and Caramel walked off into the setting sun, she talked about a diamond necklace she wanted while he looked sadly back at Applejack and whispered, "Sorry". Applejack took a deep sigh before turning to the hill where her friends would spend the night, tears running down her face.

Author's Note:

Hey, Sorry this chapter took so long, I've had lots of exams and coursework to finish. I'll try and be more regular with my chapters.

Oh and yes to those who were wondering that is a fluttermac story you smell :trollestia::trollestia::derpytongue2::eeyup::heart::yay:

Comments ( 7 )

I wouldn't trust Sassha again Caramel. Especially if she just land down and accused you of cheating. Thanks for the update. I forgot about this story.

5814436 ive been busy im glad you enjoyed it felt terrible writing a chatacter as much of a bitch as sassaflash

5814521 I guess that is true. The only good time to write them is when something bad is going to happen to them.

5814684 she'll get her payback eventually

Woo. Yay! FlutterMac and CaramelApple? Some boldness, Evey. :derpytongue2:

5818697 Im a massive shipper and im not afraid to admit it :derpyderp2: but is kinda asking for trouble even more when i bring soarindash to the picture
memecrunch.com/meme/BDB/all-the-shipper-feels/image.jpg

Login or register to comment