• Published 21st Sep 2014
  • 549 Views, 10 Comments

The Nutcracker Colt - Peewee the Dragon



Celestia receives a nutcracker doll from her godfather at the Hearth's Warming Eve party. Little does she know the adventure it will take her on.

  • ...
7
 10
 549

The Overture

The castle had been preparing for their annual Hearth's Warming Eve party for weeks. Decorations had been hung from every wall, candles positioned on every windowsill and tabletop, trees placed in every corner. Each tree was topped with it's own unique angel. Now, on the day of the party, the entire castle was filled with the smells of cooking food from the kitchen. Queen Chernalia had ensured that the night's dinner would be extravagantly sumptuous, with at least ten different fruits imported from all over the world, and every type of candy and cake imaginable.

An hour before the guests were expected to begin arriving, Celestia sat alone at the dressing table in her room. She was staring listlessly into her mirror when a sharp rap came at the door. Starting at the sudden noise, she hurriedly flattened her mane with her hooves in an attempt to make herself more presentable. She was meant to be getting ready for the party.

"Come in," she called.

She could see the disappointment and dismay in her mother's face as soon as she stepped through the door.

"Celestia, darling, why are you not ready yet? Haven't I told you how important it is for you to make every effort to look attractive tonight?"

Celestia struggled not to sigh. Her mother said it was unbecoming of a princess. Her mother said a lot of things she did were unbecoming of a princess.

"Yes, Mother, I heard you the first hundred times you told me. It's practically the only thing you've said to me since the beginning of New Snow!"

Queen Chernalia looked at her sharply. "Then I needn't remind you that your father and I have invited several suitable bachelors tonight. With any luck, you will catch at least one of their eyes and you will finally be married. To think, my daughter is 23 years old and still doesn't have a husband!" Celestia had heard this statement far too often in the last weeks as well.

"Yes, Mother," she said simply.

Queen Chernalia clapped her hoovess loudly and two maids hurried into the room. "Let's get her ready, shall we?"

The maids nodded briskly and all three mares set to work. For the next half hour they applied her makeup, set her hair with hot rollers plucked from the fire, and draped her with glittering jewelry. When the last puff of powder had settled, everyone looked intently into the mirror.

"Oh, my dear, you look simply beautiful!" Queen Chernalia exclaimed, a hoof to her mouth. The maids smiled and nodded in assent. All Celestia could do was stare. Her cheeks looked pink and full of warmth, her lips somehow fuller, and her hair curled perfectly down her back.

The moment of stunned silence was broken as Queen Chernalia looked at the clock.

"My goodness, we need to get you into your dress! The guests will be here any minute!" She directed the two maids to help Celestia into the gown and hurried off to make sure everything was prepared for the party.

When they had secured all the buttons, hooks, and ribbons into place, there was barely five minutes left before the party was set to begin. The maids rushed off to finish their jobs, leaving Celestia to make her way downstairs to join the rest of the family.