• Published 3rd Sep 2014
  • 2,385 Views, 222 Comments

A New World, a Fearful Way - Votederpycausemufins



After Arceus moves all the pokemon and former humans to Equus, Lea finds that being an umbreon here, isn't all it seems to be. Especially where she ended up.

  • ...
20
 222
 2,385

ch. 48 Hoofington

Author's Note:

Welcome to book two of Fearful way! while the first book was all about just what was going on in hoofington, this book is going to be all about crossovers.
so let's start off back in Hoofington with part one of the Hoofington crossover with ZephyrStrife

Near the edge of Hoofington, a Delcatty was sniffing the air and looking around. Following her was a Linoone.

“Are we almost there? I mean you decided we should switch to going this way instead of the way we were going, so it must have been better that what you smelled before.”

The Delcatty pointed vigorously at the town in front of them.

“Wait, are you saying he’s in that town right there?!” The Linoone exclaimed. “Finally! Linoone!”

The Linoone ran quickly into the town just as a train left the town. The Delcatty sniffed the air again and looked at the train. Her eyes widened. She tried to get the attention of her friend, but she had already run into the town.

Linoone kept running until she reached the center of town. She turned back to ask Delcatty where to go next, but she wasn’t there. “Delcatty where are you?!”

Linoone ran back and found her friend. “So, which way is he? You said he was here.”

Delcatty shook her head and pointed to outside the town. “What do you mean by that. Where is he now?” Delcatty acted out a train for her.

“No… you mean? He was on that train?” Delcatty sadly nodded her head. “Is this world out to get me?! If I weren’t too tired from getting here, I’d say we go after that train.”

Delcatty, gave a small sniff of disapproval, but then she sniffed again. She could still smell some of her friend’s mate, but she could also smell something else that was vaguely familiar, like the scent of an old friend she hadn’t seen in awhile. She waved her paw over towards where the train had left.

“What is it now? Do you actually want us to follow the train?” Linoone asked.

Delcatty shook her head. before heading off in the direction of the train station with her eyes closed, letting her nose guide her.


Delcatty was running almost too fast for Linoone to keep up. It didn’t help that she didn’t know where the Prim Pokemon was heading to exactly. When they had been running for about ten minutes, Linoone suddenly saw a group walking in the street ahead of them.

Delcatty seemed to be so focused on following her nose, she didn’t notice the group.

Suddenly she ran into a Cyndaquil in the group and started to sniff all over him before moving on to a Quilava.

The mouse pokemon blinked a bit as he was bowled over, training his blue eyes on Delcatty. “What was that for?” He asked with slight irritation.

Delcatty’s ears twitched as she continued to sniff the rest of the group. When she finished, she went over to the cyndaquil and patted him on the head.

An Ekans blinked a few times as they looked at the cat pokemon. “Hey, Skitty got your tongue? Don’t worry, the little guy is able to stun pokemon and diamond dogs alike with his adorableness… and how tasty he looks.” The snake teased with a smile.

Delcatty turned to pokemon and gave a silent hiss. Finally, Linoone had caught up to Delcatty, but didn’t like what the pokemon had said. “You really don’t want to say something like that to somemon who can’t talk.”

The Cyndaquil had a confused look on his face as turned to see Linoone. The Ekans seemed to move her head in a shrug-like motion. “Meh… I’ve done worse… I tried to eat an ex-human.” She replied nonchalantly.

Then Delcatty looked down the street sniffing the air before starting to walk off. “Ugh, great. There she goes again. You know, you could at least be nice to these guys after sniffing all over them!”

“Why’s she sniffing around so much?” The Cyndaquil asked as he picked himself up from the dirt.

“My mate and I got separated during the move here.” Linoone explained to them. “She’s got a good enough nose that she was able to try and find him. She led us to this town, but he left on a train just as we were entering. Who knows where she’s going now. Maybe he found his… well, I wouldn’t call her his trainer, but maybe he found his other family and they have a place to stay.”

The small pokemon put a paw on his chin. “Well… how about we help? A larger number of people looking out for someone would be able to help better, what’s his name?”

“Heh, heh.” The Linoone laughed. “Well, you see, neither of us really used a name other than Linoone. But maybe we can find someone from his family. I know he mentioned the girl he lived with was named Lea.”

“Lea… Huh…” He replied as he got back into his thinking pose. “Is she from the Johto region?” He asked. “I might actually know her, my parents used to go travelling all the time before I started my journey when I was ten."

“Yeah, we lived in Cherrygrove City.” Linoone replied. Behind her, Delcatty’s eyes widened and she started to shake her friend. “Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat iiiiiiiiiiisssssss iiiiiiiiitttttttt nooooooooowwwwwwww?”

She tried to act something out, but no one could figure out what she was trying to say. Finally the Delcatty gave up and just led the group the way her nose was leading her.

The Cyndaquil and his group were fairly curious to what the Delcatty was trying to point out. The only one a bit hesitant about following these strangers was really the Quilava, but she didn’t quite voice her concerns yet as she followed along behind the group, stoking her flame just in case the situation needed a stronger fire type.


Eventually the group stopped at a rather old looking building that looked like it had been renovated very recently. Delcatty pointed at the door, trying to say that was where she was getting the scent.

“Yeesh… this building definitely looks like it could use some work… it actually looks like it’s a work in progress…” Emma, the Quilava, said as she examined the buildings. “I thought ponies did whatever they could in order to keep their cities and towns in the best condition?” She asked as she looked back at the group.

“Emma, this sort of thing even happened on earth. The buildings in Kinholdur were all occupied, that’s why there didn’t seem to be any abandoned ones. Diamond dogs just prefer function over anything else.” The Cyndaquil named Mick replied.

Then a yellow unicorn mare came out the front door. Seeing the group just outside, she slowly stepped backward. “Quarry, there’s a whole ton of pokemon out here. I don’t know why they’re here.”

A voice from inside called out. “Ire, remember, this place got made into one of those hospital things they had on Earth. They probably heard and wanted to see it. Let them in.”

Mick seemed to smile before he pulled his makeshift sling backpack in front of him and shuffled through it and spending a few moments to pull out a mason jar full of orange liquid. He popped the top to take a small sip before quickly closing the jar and holding up a paw.

It was only about thirty seconds before he talked but he smiled at the yellow pony. “Hi! Does the translation potion work with ponies?” He asked.

“Well, apparently so. Why are you here?” Ire asked in return.

“We’re apparently looking for an ex-human named Lea, do you guys happen to know her?” Mick asked with a smile as he tried to make his eyes as adorable as possible.

“Yeah, I do actually.” The unicorn replied. “I tried to strangle her and later erased her memory. She and a couple of her friends just left for Ponyville. Sorry you missed them.”

Mick blinked a few times as he returned to his normal posture. “So… you tried to commit murder and then tried to violate her mind before you two… just happened to become friends or something?” He asked in confusion.

“She ruined my life, not tried, did, and yeah, we’re cool now. Apparently when I erased her memories, she got some of mine by accident.” She answered nonchalantly.

“Well… it seems that Arceus really did pick a weird place for us to go… I’m kinda wondering if my dad came here then.” Mick says as he slowly looked down towards his feet. “I… I know my mom would be here… but… I…” He stopped himself and shook his head before smiling again. “Anyway…” He started. “... Is it okay if we come in? I’ve been not-training due to a lack of convenient pokemon centers.”

“Oh yeah. Hey Bluegrass!” She called up to the roof. “Can you pick some Oran berries? We got some pokemon here that need them.”

“Hehe… bluegrass…” Mick chuckled. “Wonder what kind of music she likes?”

“She gets that name from the plant, not the music.” Ire said, rolling her eyes. “But with an accent like hers, you could be right.”

Gwen, the Ekans chuckled before looking at Mick. “That actually makes me wonder, weren’t there a lot of breeders in Johto that had huge crops of pokenip?”

“No… I think that was more Hoenn’s thing… but there were a few in Johto…” Mick replied with a pensive look. “Wait…” He started before looking at the pony again. “Where did you say the train was going?”

“They mentioned they were headed to Ponyville. I think Lea wanted some sort of plant that grows in the forest and maybe a chance for her to ask Arceus some stuff. I’m not sure of all the details. After that, I think she said they’re gonna go to Canterlot.”

Mick began to smile widely. “Awesome! When’s the next train?”

“Not sure. I don’t really pay attention to that kind of stuff. I don’t think I’ve even left this town since I was a filly. But enough standing around out here. Do you want to go in? I think you might find someone who can help you, but Blue wanted me to run to her place to get something, so I’m gonna go.” Ire explained to them before leaving on her errand.

Mick nodded before motioning the rest of the group to follow him inside, talking quietly to one another as they looked around. Coming down the stairs was a Blissey with a bowl of Oran berries in her arms. As she was reaching the bottom of the stairs, the happiness pokemon tripped and the bowl flew out of her arms.

Delcatty was the first to react and was able to catch the bowl on her nose. She was able to move the bowl enough to catch most of the berries, but a few bounced out.

“Oh! I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to drop those! Here, let me take that back.” Blissey apologised putting the berries that fell on the floor back in the bowl and taking it back in her arms. “Bluegrass told me these were for you guys.”

“It’s no trouble, since Orans are firm berries I’d be more worried if you accidently dropped one of those berries that are softer than a Pecha.” Mick smiled as he walked over to open his sling-bag so that she could have a spot to put the extra berries. “Besides, all they need is a bit of a rinse and they’re good as new.” He smiled.

“Oh Mick… you really haven’t changed much since becoming a pokemon…” Emma chuckled.

“Oh were you a human before? Where were you from?” Blissey asked.

“Johto, though I was from Azaela town, I kinda miss talking to Bugsy…” Mick replied.

“Oddly enough, most of the people that he seemed to know from Johto managed to land somewhere near the Diamond Dog homeland.” Allen, an Aggron, chuckled as he began looking for a spot to sit. “Got any seats for plus sizes?”

“I think you might be able to find something in the next room over. But really? Johto? That’s really strange. I mean, I’m from Johto, Lea’s from Johto, Pryce is from Johto…” Blissey said, trailing off.

“Pryce is here!? Where?” Mick asked quickly as he looked up at the Blissey with his adorable ice-blue eyes.

“Ooo! You’re so cute!” Blissey cooed picking him up and hugging him. For his part, Mick struggled to breathe as he flailed around in the larger pokemon’s grip. “See the large hole in the floor? He’s down there. That’s where most of the the water type pokemon and a few ice types are staying.”

Emma giggled a bit. “Do you mind having someone call out for him? I’m sure that Mick would just love to keep getting hugged, so I don’t think it would be nice to let him be deprived of such a caring ‘mon.” She requested with an innocent smile as Allen walked off to the room the Blissey had mentioned would have better seating. Mick shot the Quilava a death glare from the slightly-too-tight hug as he continued struggling to speak.

“Yeah, I can get him. But just know that someday I will get him, Ziggs and Sparks into a room together, and Kya and I will produce much squee. Hey Pryce!”

“Wait, Ziggs?!” Linoone cried. “That means he ended up with his father! Do you know where he is now?”

“Yeah, both of them took the train out to Ponyville. I don’t think they’ll be back for a while. Lea wanted to go traveling after being stuck in this town since we all got here.” Blissey replied, just at the top of the stairs leading down into the hole.

“Then maybe we should stay for a bit? I mean… we do need a guide through Equestria, it’s not like somepony is going to just wander up to us and ask ‘Hey! Do you need a guide? I can speak pokemon without you needing to resort to that orange liquid that Diamond Dog created without realizing it was a translation potion.’ the world doesn’t just work like that.” Emma sighed as she let herself take a seat near one of the walls.

“Actually, it kinda can.” Came a voice from the stairs. “When Ire gets back, ya can just give her somethin’ ya want ta wear and she can cast a translation spell on it. That’s what we do ‘round here.” Linoone looked at the stairs to see an earth pony coming down the steps.

Finally, Bluegrass stepped on to the main floor. “So, you’re the bunch of newcomers? Glad ta know we’ve still got pokemon coming here that aren’t from this town.”

“Yeah, Pokemon move quite often depending on the availability of safety and food…” the Ekans of the group replied with a chuckle. “So if pokemon are citizens here like they are in Canida then you’ll have plenty of tourists, although I’d say it would be mighty easier to live in Canida despite it being a frozen wasteland aboveground.”

“Well, we haven’t seen many visitors yet. Hoofington is just in between a small town and a city that most ponies just don’t seem ta want ta visit. So, how long do ya think you’ll be stayin’?”

“Oh… I wouldn’t say too long, fortunately the Diamond dogs are actually pretty generous with the gems they dig up so we could get a few train tickets for our group to go to Ponyville and back before making our way back to Canida.” Emma replied as she rubbed her neck. “Now that I think about it though… I think we could use quite a break from the travelling…”

“AIR!” Mick managed to wheeze out from the Blissey’s embrace.

“Blissey! What have I told you about hugging the cute pokemon?!” A Walrein coming up the stairs said. “They’re not as durable as you or me most of the time.” Mick was still struggling to get free of her embrace, trying… yet failing to get free.

“Aww…” Blissey said as she dropped Mick. “But so much cute! And so much soft!” The Cyndaquil in question spun his head a little in a daze as he tried to recover at her feet.

“Yes, I know he’s cute and soft, but he still needed air. Now are you alright?”

It took a few moments before he finally responded. “Y-yeah… I… I think I’m good…” He stutters as he picks himself up from the floor. “Wait… Pryce! Yeesh man… I never thought you’d become a Walrein… I would’ve thought maybe a Swinub or Dewgong…”

“Well apparently I became this instead. Now who would you be?” Pryce asked.

Mick was about to answer before Emma cut her way in. “Hey Pryce, the last time we saw you was just after Mick beat the Ecruteak gym… it wasn’t our best meeting… but I would’ve thought you’d at least remember us.” she pouted as she picked up Mick. “It’s Mick! See!” She replied with a joking smile as she held up the little fire-mouse up for him to inspect. “You met his parents after you stomped us… since he went to battle you instead of Jasmine and Chuck. I still think you cheated by the way.”

“Ah, yes, I remember.” Pryce replied. “You must remember that it’s been over a month since we were last on Earth and I am an old man, er, mon. But yes, I remember now. How have you been so far?”

“We’ve been doing fairly good… Mick had a pretty bad breakdown the other night, but for the most part-...”

“I CHALLENGE YOU TO A BATTLE!” Mick proclaimed as he stood up and pointed dramatically at the Walrein and interrupted his Quilava.

“Well then… I guess I should accept.” Pryce replied before leading Mick back down where he had come from.

Mick attempted to take a step forward and, due to the hug attack earlier from Blissey, fell flat on his face in unconsciousness. Delcatty hopped over and took one of the Oran berries from the bowl and placed it in Mick’s mouth before eating one for herself. Then, She got Mick onto her back and carried him down to the sewer. Once at the bottom of the steps the little fire-mouse exhibited some fairly decent dexterity for only eating an Oran berry and flipped off of the Delcatty’s back, landing perfectly on his hind paws. “I meant to do that!” He said excitedly as he walked towards the Walrein.

“Alright we want to move a bit further down so that way our attacks won’t hurt any of the pokemon here. Delcatty, You can be our judge.” Pryce explained. “Let our battle commence.”