• Published 3rd Sep 2014
  • 2,379 Views, 222 Comments

A New World, a Fearful Way - Votederpycausemufins



After Arceus moves all the pokemon and former humans to Equus, Lea finds that being an umbreon here, isn't all it seems to be. Especially where she ended up.

  • ...
20
 222
 2,379

ch. 1 escape (re-written)

About a week ago, Equestria had changed drastically. A being from another world in another universe had come, bringing as many of his subjects as he felt should come. Many had ended up being feared by the ponies, but most of them had found friends with the newcomers.

The same could not be said for one of them. An Umbreon had woken up inside a cage in a building, much like one might find at a dog pound. It hadn’t been long before the Pokemon had woken up, confused on where she was. Two ponies, one a pegasus stallion and the other a unicorn mare, found her not long after she woke up. After that, things went downhill from there. The ponies, unable to understand the Umbreon, took her to be just another animal, which they treated poorly. The two of them even forced the animals they found to fight to earn money for themselves. With a new and odd creature to add to their roster, they decided to use her almost all day.

The Umbreon had been given little to eat, and barely any time to rest in between the fights she was literally thrown into. Each morning, it was pitch black with all the windows, few as there were, boarded up. The Umbreon had no idea what time it was, but it seemed like the lights came on at the same time every day.

When she woke up, the Umbreon worked on trying to break the door of her cage down. She felt that it kept getting looser, but she kept doing less and less each day. The second the lights came on, the Umbreon went over to the boards covering the window in her cell and created another mark, tallying the days she had been in there. Currently she had nine, but she wasn’t sure if that was the real number or not.

There was a slam from outside the door, and a few of the animals in other cages woke up themselves and started to whine, bark, hiss, growl, and make other various noises. The Umbreon decided to try and pretend she was still sleeping to get out of whatever the ponies were going to do to her or at least make them decide not to use her that day.

Eventually, the voices of the ponies could be heard from outside the door. The animals in the room got quiet and a few seconds later, the door opened. The unicorn had a large bag of food. The Umbreon could never tell exactly what it was, since neither of the ponies mentioned what it was and she had never tasted anything like it before. The pegasus held up bowls for the mare to fill, and then he laid them in front of the various cells. Normally, at least two of the animals would not receive food which meant they would be put into the ring that day, but today, it seemed like everyone was getting something to eat.

When it came time to fill the Umbreon’s bowl, the ponies instead left it empty and put both the bowl and the food away. That confused the Pokemon, since she was the only one not fed. As she stopped squinting and fully closed her eyes, the Umbreon tried to think of why she was the only one and if she was going out in the ring, who was she supposed to fight.

Finally, the two left and the Umbreon was able to get up again. The animals who could see her, seemed to look at the Pokemon sympathetically, though not one of them had ever been able to talk to her. She decided to finally try a bit more to break down the door of her cage so she could escape. Every time the Umbreon felt like she couldn’t keep going, she remembered about some of the things she wanted to find out in the world she had woken up in. She wanted to learn if any of her family had ended up here too, or at least other Pokemon.

After a while, the Umbreon started to hear noises from behind the door again. She wanted to stop trying to take down the cage door, but she could tell it only needed a few more hits. The Pokemon aimed her paw at on of the hinges and attacked it, just as the unicorn mare came in. The hinge came flying off, but the pony saw and ran over to the Umbreon’s cage.

“Are you actually trying to get out?” The unicorn asked the Pokemon. “How were you planning to get out of this room once you got out of there you stupid thing?”

The unicorn opened the cage door and used her magic to pick the Umbreon up while she fixed the cell. “Quarry, the new one tried to escape.” The mare called out as she made her way to the front. “It actually almost broke the cage. Can you fix that later?”

“Yeah.” The stallion said, just before he came into the Umbreon’s view. “I’ll actually do that now. Everypony’s already in and our other guy is set-up so all you have to do is make them each other.”

The mare walked into a room that had a few ponies in it. In the center of the room, the tiled floor had been broken and a foot and a half deep hole had been dug into the ground. Surrounding the hole was a strip of a chain-linked fence kept up by various poles. Part of it on each side had been cut out and replaced by makeshift doors. There was a box connected to the far door of the ring that moved every once and awhile, letting the Umbreon know something was in it.

The mare opened up the other door and threw the Umbreon in there. She landed on her side and waited a few seconds before getting back up. The mare walked over to a table with some old speakers on it and a microphone. She grabbed the mic and started to speak into it, even though it did barely anything to make her voice louder. “Hello, and thank you for coming. Today, we were able to bring you a special battle. My husband Quarry was able to get another competitor, and not just your standard animal, but another one of the newcomers.”

The Umbreon looked up as the unicorn released another Pokemon into the ring. The Umbreon looked as a Mightyena came in and looked at her.

“Oh my goodness! Another Pokemon!” The Umbreon exclaimed, though her voice was a little raspy from not talking for the past few days. “Listen, I’m not sure if you’ll believe me, but my name is Lea. I used to be human but ended up here. Maybe we can work together and get ou-.”

The Mightyena growled at her and stopped her from talking. “Shut up and fight why don’t you.”

Lea looked taken aback. “What do you mean? I’ve been stuck in here for days. They’ve been forcing me to fight and almost starving me. You may have just gotten here, but you’re gonna have the same thing happen to you.”

The dog like Pokemon lunged at her with a gaping paw. Lea evaded the Bite with a quick sidestep. The Mightyena crashed into the wall, loosening the dirt and dust built-up within the barrier. The debris entered into his eyes, blinding him.

Lea started to claw at the walls to create more dust in the ring, but the Mightyena had gotten back up and took a swipe at her. It threw her up into the air and made her crash into one of the doors of the ring. The poorly made door broke open, making a few of the ponies scream. One of them tried to kick Lea back in, but she jumped out of the way.

She looked around for a way To escape but there were too many ponies and one was most likely to catch her. Finally, Lea saw a fuse box in the room behind what used to be a counter. She was barely able to make her way through the ponies and onto a chair before she jumped and grabbed on as best she could to the box.

Lea used her mouth to open it and her claws to turn the power off. She could feel a little shock as the circuits were destroyed and the lights went out. The fuse box started to spark, and eventually a few sparks fell onto some old bloody and dirt covered rags that were kept in the room for after battles. They caught fire, and a few ponies started to panic after seeing it. At that point, the Mightyena climbed out of the hole and over towards Lea. The fire was the only thing in the room giving off any light, but it just made him look even more menacing. He lunged towards Lea and instead went into the rags. A few of them made his fur catch on fire, but he paid no attention and went after Lea who was just going out the front door with other ponies.

As the Mightyena ran through, he caught a few other things on fire and inside, the destroyed fuse box created a small explosion. Lea kept dodging ponies left and right, not wanting to be trampled. Eventually she was Tackled by Mightyena, and brought to the ground. “Look what you did!” He yelled at her. “I was finally having fun and you ruined it!”

Lea started to back away. “Leave me ALONE!” She Screeched at Mightyena. He covered his ears with his paws and started to roll on the ground. The rags came off and he put his fur out, but when he looked up, Lea had run off.

She kept running everything she saw was a blur to her. She couldn’t remember a few of the things she did as she escaped further into the town. Lea thought maybe she had attacked something that had tried to get in her way, but she was too tired and hurt to remember. Eventually, the Umbreon started to slow down, then finally collapsed and fell asleep.

Author's Note:

This chapter has been rewritten to be a bit better.