• Published 3rd Sep 2014
  • 2,339 Views, 32 Comments

A Joke Too Far - DouglasTrotter

  • ...
4
 32
 2,339

Chapter 5

The filly's hooves tore into the dirt at a rapid pace, a swift hoof to wiped her watery eyes before the tears could form.

"You can't fly," Scootaloo's mind replayed the imaginary words of her idol and mentor, over and over again. Determined eyes guided the filly after a final wipe with her swift hoof. She weaved passed several apple trees in the Sweet Apple Acres orchard field. Her heart pounded. Her hooves continued to tear into the pathway's semi-firm dirt. The air remained quiet after her abrupt stop.

On top of the small hill, Scootaloo watched Ponyville spring to life. Mares, stallions, fillies and colts strolled through the streets. Mr. and Mrs. Cake setup their stand in the market district. Big Macintosh pulled the Sweet Apple Acres cart passed them, Applejack not too far behind.

"Where. Is. It." Scootaloo said between exasperated gasps. Sweat formed heavily on her forehead. Her eyes darted about as they focused and relented on several targets. Her gaze narrowed, "There!"

With a final deep breath, Scootaloo darted into Ponyville. She passed several ponies, but slammed into a solid object. A quick "sorry" was tossed to Bulk Biceps before Scootaloo bolted into a nearby alley, checked her large concealing Nightmare Night cloak, and then resumed her desperate journey into Ponyville.

Scootaloo's hooves propelled her down Manestreet towards the market district then came to a final stop. At the steps of a wooden platform, the jingling that came from the small pocket sewn into the cloak ceased. She trotted up the wooden platform's ramp, several deep breaths to come. The filly's hoof rammed into the black cloak's pocket. Several "borrowed" bits from Apple Bloom were tossed onto a counter in front of a mare. After a final deep breath and exhale, Scootaloo calmed herself and said, "Take me up."

The mare adjusted her flight cap. She closed her left eye then followed the filly's profile with her right. "Ok. Hop in. It's a thirty minute ride."

"How high does it go?" Scootaloo said, jumping into the basket next to the mare.

"I can take it up pretty high. You're not thinking about jumpin out, are you?" The mare said.

"I'm a pegasus. I can fly." Scootaloo replied in a stern voice, eyes to match.

"Suit yourself then. None of my business to tell a pegasus they can't to fly." The mare said while she untethered the rope.

The balloon basket jostled, minutes passed. The balloon, its basket, and the occupants drifted in the sky's calm wind. Silence, not unlike the pre-dawn morning, greeted the filly's ears after she jumped out of the basket, spotting a cloud high over Ponyville.

Its strings undone, the black Nightmare Night cloak drifted towards the ground. Gentle wind blew past the filly's face as she gazed towards Canterlot then Equestria's distant horizon. Each feather, every pinion flowed in a fluid motion after Scootaloo unfurled her wings, not unlike the pegasus filly's mane and tail. Eyes closed -- her beautiful wings outstretched -- she leaned back, "I. I 'can' fly. I 'know' it."

Scootaloo plummeted towards Ponyville. With a flap of her majestic, regal-like wings she felt a rush of adrenaline. Wind rushed past her face. A second flap came: nothing. Her wings flapped for a third time: nothing. They wings secured themselves to her sides, refusing to move. She continued to plummet toward the ground, Ponyville coming into quick view. Scootaloo struggled and, with a final strong push, opened her wings.

Straightened out, the filly rocketed through Ponyville near the tops of the houses. Scootaloo's right wing clipped a weathervane on a nearby house. The solid, sturdy metal object landed on the ground with a heavy thud. Her left wing slammed into house top. Her body went numb after being sent into a spin. Scootaloo closed her eyes. "Why... why can't I fly?"

A tight sensation gripped Scootaloo's back hoof. Slowed down and straightened out, the filly fought to open her eyes. In front of her, a cloth materialize and cupped around her body.

"Squirt, you ok?! Squirt!" A familiar voice shouted. The owner's fast hooves unfurled the cloth to see the filly twitching. Scootaloo's eyes crept open as she looked up to see Rainbow Dash point a quivering hoof, "Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, get--"

"I need that cloth and rope," a voice interjected. Scootaloo squinted and watched a barrel being smashed with Silver Spoon gathering the bits of lumber. Silver Spoon's steadfast, right front hoof shot up and pointed towards a crowd of ponies, "Before you say anything, shut up. Just stand there and be quiet, Diamond Tiara!"

"Silver Spoon," Diamond Tiara said, ending with a quick "hmph" before she left with her nose turned towards the sky.

"I've made a splint and bandaged her wings. She needs to get to the hospital, ASAP!" Silver Spoon said.

*** *** ***

Slow rhythmic ticks from the nearby clock broke the room's grim silence. Light reflected off the polished white floors as Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle sat close to one another in the chairs below the clock. Rainbow Dash tapped her hoof against the smooth floor. She eyed the clock, floated into the air, and landed back to the floor, repeating the routine several times. Zecora, garbed in her tan hooded cloak, stood on one hoof in the room with her eyes closed. Silver Spoon sat in a chair, pulled over from the corner, near the double white doors that lead deeper into the hospital, her melancholic expression maintained since the group's arrival. Solid hoof steps echoed from behind the double doors and ceased.

A pegasus mare in a doctor's white coat opened the right door. She adjusted her glasses with her wing and turned to Silver Spoon, "You did a good job on the bandages, sweetie. Here's some bits for the food court. I need to talk with the others right now."

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle nodded to Silver Spoon. The filly's eyes remained glued to the floor in front of her. In a voice that matched her expression, Silver Spoon turned to the two fillies and said, "I'm sorry about what happened."

After Silver Spoon departed, Dr. Radius tapped her chart with a solid hoof. Her eyes glanced over several pages. "I want to thank you for bringing my patient here as quickly as you did. Those bandages calmed the problem, but I believe things could have been made worse by Scootaloo's thrashing."

"How's our friend, Doc?" Apple Bloom said

"Is she going to be ok?" Sweetie Belle said.

"The squirt's wings ok?" Rainbow Dash said.

"Please, one at a time." Doctor Radius said. She lowered her raised hoof. "I'm afraid the answer isn't so simple. Mrs. Zip gave me permission to talk about Scootaloo and her condition, and I will start at the beginning."

The group proceeded passed the double doors. Dr. Radius flipped a sign on one door and ushered the group inside the office. Her wing grazed a switch on the metal box. It's light illuminated the piece of X-ray film.

"Rainbow Dash, as you might recall, the medicine I had made for Scootaloo was meant for the sole purpose to stimulate her wings. It should be quite obvious this wasn't the ointment's intended purpose." Doctor Radius let out a heavy sigh, "Unfortunately, I learned only a short time ago that my daughter tried to warn me of her friend's prank, but I wasn't able to get home until this morning due to my heavy workload here at the hospital. By the time I reached Scootaloo's house, it was too late to prevent this. From the bottom of my heart, I am sorry about what happened."

Rainbow Dash eyed the film. She turned back towards the pegasus mare. "Are her wings ok? Will she be able to fly?"

"From the X-rays, it appears the patient hasn't sustained any broken bones, fractures, or, well, anything for that matter. It's rather extraordinary to be blunt." Doctor Radius said with a raised eyebrow. Her intrigued expression faded. Another heavy sigh came as the doctor tapped the X-ray with her right wing. Doctor Radius adjusted her glasses then placed a clipboard under her right wing, "That is where the good news ends. There is a serious problem, and it appears your reasons for her not wanting to fly were spot on, Rainbow Dash. In regards to Scootaloo's wing muscles, they display signs of being overstressed. To expand upon it, I believe her wings are stressed to such a high severity that it surprises me she wasn't in pain from the experience."

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle stared at each other.

Dr. Radius placed the clipboard on her desk, gestured a stretching motion with both wings, and retrieved the clipboard. "Yes, it's much like a taught rubber band on a sling shot, Apple Bloom. I find myself concerned that Scootaloo's wing muscles would have detached from the skeletal structure without the 'unusual' compound's addition healing properties. Ms. Zecora, I've heard that there is a cure for Scootaloo's current condition. How would your antidote work on my patient?"

"What I say is true as I admit this problem is new. The cure will reverse the plant's effect, but it is unknown what will happen after that effect. I would have worked faster, if I only knew." Zecora said.

"I. don't follow you," Doctor Radius said.

"Ah think she means Scootaloo's wing muscles. It would be one thing if it was just the poison joke. With the medicine, it created a new problem that she's unsure of." Apple Bloom said, receiving a gentle smile from Zecora.

"I--" Doctor Radius said.

Rainbow Dash slammed her hoof into the office room's carpet "Look doc, will the squirt be ok. I want a simple yes or no."

Rainbow Dash hung her head. Her solid hoof slammed into the floor several times while a tear formed in her right eye. Dead silence greeted the room.

"We will talk about the subject later--" Dr. Radius said.

"No! You explain it now. What do you mean, 'I don't know.' You're a doctor!" Rainbow Dash bellowed.

"Miss Rainbow Dash! Magic exists in our world, as you can no doubt see by an errant potion. Though such powerful forces exists, it isn't an end all, be all solution for every known ailment in Equestria. That is why medicine exists and will continue to advance. Now, I ask you to please calm yourself." Dr. Radius said, a stern gaze piercing through her glasses to the pegasus mare in front of her. The doctor raised her right wing and brushed it against her silvery colored mane. "I promise, I 'will' help Scootaloo. She is my patient. As per the doctor's code, I will treat all patients to the best of my abilities."

Zecora draped her hoof over Rainbow Dash. "I know your angry, but it serves no pony."

"Ms. Zecora, I apologize if my words about your potion were offensive. I would appreciate your help to determine a proper treatment protocol for Scootaloo's wings. Apple Bloom, I could use your help as well." Dr. Radius said.

Apple Bloom, with a half-hearted smile, said, "I'll try."
Rainbow Dash and Sweetie Belle left the three ponies alone. They meandered down the hall, and the group of two stopped. Several voices came from behind door F22, the door Doctor Radius pointed them towards, and the two peered inside. A white faced Filthy Rich stood in front of Mrs. Zip with an equally white faced Diamond Tiara beside him.

"Our business is concluded, Mr. Rich." Mrs. Zip said. Both locks on the briefcase in front of her snapped shut as she displayed a cheerfully grim smile.

"Diamond Tiara?" Filthy Rich said in a quivered tone, a "yea dad" received. "Your grounded."

Filthy Rich and Diamond Tiara passed by Rainbow Dash and Sweetie Belle, the door silently closing behind them.

"The great 'a fortiori' came out of hiding, huh?" Rainbow Dash said with a devilish grin. She watched Mrs. Zip close her eyes and give the same smile in return. "Ehh, nothing. It's nothing. Forget I said anything. How's the squirt?"

Mrs. Zip placed her brief case off to the chair's side. "I felt it necessary to dust this thing off due to the serious nature of the issue, and Filthy Rich's all too 'charming' personality on the matter. My, my, my, such a trouble maker. Anyways, Scootaloo is fine, for now at least. My daughter will have a mountain of chores when she's out of the hospital, rested, and able to do them."

The two mares exchanged nods as Apple Bloom came in. Mrs. Zip waved to Rainbow Dash. With a whisper, she said to Rainbow Dash, "Please, don't think too harshly of my daughter's actions or her words. You mean so much to her. It will take time to heal, but I know that bridge will be mended, becoming even stronger."

Mrs. Zip's hoof steps faded after the door closed behind her. Rainbow Dash tapped her hoof against her chin, smiled, and moved towards the bed. The large bump under the white sheet remained motionless. The mare motioned to Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle. All of them crept closer. They pressed their hooves into the bump.

"Heh, I see your leg muscles still work." Rainbow Dash said, catching the filly in her open hooves after Scootaloo leapt into the air.

Scootaloo's quick front hoof latched onto the blanket's end and dragged it over her body after being placed back into the bed. She stuck her mouth out from a corner, "Go away. I am a loser. I am a 'Scootaloser.' I can't even fly with these things. OW!"

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle pulled their hooves away, snickering at their friend. Apple Bloom smirked, "Well, looks like ya still feel pain. That's a good thing at least."

"You see--" Rainbow Dash said

"Yea, yea, yea. The great 'Rainbow Dash' knows everything." Scootaloo said, ending with a "hmph" before diving back under the cover. "Just, just leave me alone. I'll just deal with it. I can't fly."

"Squirt. I'll say this once and only once. Remember it," Rainbow Dash ripped the covers off the bed. She stared at Scootaloo with resolute eyes, "I didn't help train you out of pity. I did it because of that spark inside of you, the same one I know that's inside of me. It's a spark that we feel when we're in the air." Rainbow Dash backed away and gestured at Scootaloo, "I won't give up on you. That's a fact. What I won't do is help shackle your hooves and wings, keeping you bound down. Not now. Not Ever."

"But... But..." Scootaloo said. Her eyes darted around, "The doctor said--"

"Ah was with the doc. She and Zecora are both workin' on ideas to help ya out." Apple Bloom said. She smiled at her friend as Rainbow Dash put her hoof down. Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom sat near the bed "We'll all be right here waitin' for ya. You, me, and Sweetie Belle, we're the Cutie Mark Crusaders. We're Cutie Mark Crusaders, forever!"

Rainbow Dash, Apple Bloom, and Sweetie Belle left after a final nod. The door crept open. Rainbow flew back in and gave a quick wing hug before she left.

Scootaloo looked at her left wing. She looked at her right wing. Both remained folded at her side, bandaged not too long ago. The door creaked open, and her head rose up. Mrs. Zip entered the room. In a quiet voice, Scootaloo said, "Mom?"

"Yes?" Mrs. Zip said

"Should I keep them?" Scootaloo said

"Them?" Mrs. Zip said

"I'm not sure what to do. Should I keep my 'new' wings? I mean, if it's possible." Scootaloo said.

Mrs. Zip picked the blanket off the floor, folded it, and placed the large soft cloth on the end of the bed. She returned to her seat. In a gentle tone she said, "Remember that Hearth's Warming eve when you got your scooter?"

"Yea, what about it?" Scootaloo said

"You were so excited. It's the happiest I had ever seen you. I couldn't stop you from buzzing up and down the halls of our house that night." Mrs. Zip said.

"And?" Scootaloo said

"In essence, what I gave you that day was a precious gift. Right now, I want to do the same." Mrs. Zip said. She placed her wing over Scootaloo, "You won't be a filly forever, so I believe it's time you made your first adult decision. Here's the deal. If Dr. Radius and Ms. Zecora determine a course of treatment that is safe and the wings will help you fly, I will let you chose. If they are a danger to your health, even a slight hint of danger, I will chose. Deal?"

Scootaloo tapped her chin. She said with a smile, "Deal!"

The mare hugged her daughter with her wings. She backed away and touched her wing tip to Scootaloo's nose, "By the way, this touching, mother daughter moment, doesn't mean you're ungrounded. You still have a month's worth of household chores to do when we're out of the hospital."

"Heh, well, I tried." Scootaloo said, ending with a heavy sigh.

Author's Note:

Sorry, this chapter took longer than expected. I wasn't 100% sure how things should start winding down. Don't worry, it isn't the final chapter.