• Published 3rd Sep 2014
  • 1,128 Views, 76 Comments

Silver Marriage - cdcdrr



Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon are a young couple in Ponyville. Their marriage has been happy, but their lives not without challenges, or regrets.

  • ...
5
 76
 1,128

Scooter Tricks

Chapter 3: Apples and Oranges

Diamond Tiara had been hoping to put off her reunion with the Cutie Mark Crusaders until it was a little more crowded so she could avoid them if things didn't go well, but they had chosen to come here early, and as a group. At least there weren't just the three of them. Apparently Babs Seed was in town and had joined her cousin Apple Bloom for this reunion. And Scootaloo had shacked up with Rumble if their being together was an indication. They fanned out to speak with the ponies present. Scootaloo, unfortunately, had hung back. Her seperation and the awkward silence from Diamond Tiara now seemed conspire to have the two of them mingle as their respective partners had already done.

Diamond took the first step forward and spent a moment of silence thinking of a way to engage Scootaloo in conversation. "So, what's up?"

"Nothing that should concern you." Scootaloo gave her the cold shoulder.

"We're both adults here. There's no reason for us to be snippy over trivial grade school bickering anymore." Diamond tried smoothing things over, but got the opposite reply.

"Oh really? I spent several years being mocked for not having a cutie mark, then being unable to fly as a pegasus. Don't try to downplay what you've done to me as 'trivial bickering' because you have no idea how many ponies you've hurt, Diamond Tiara." Scootaloo called her out.

Diamond brushed her leg nervously and stared at the ground. "I was an immature filly back then and we both have done things we regret from that time. Can we start over with a clean sheet? I was just curious how you're doing."

Scootaloo gave a curt 'ptfeh' but continued to speak to her anyway. "If you want to know, I work part time delivery jobs and am living with Rumble now."

"So I take it you and Rumble are a thing now?" Tiara scraped her hoof along the floor and looked around awkwardly.

"Sort of. I joined up with him to start our own pegasus stunt team. We're looking for our big break." Scootaloo answered, equally avoidant of Diamond Tiara.

"Oh, so you finally managed to learn how to fly?" She tried not to sound derisive, but Tiara continued to avoid eye contact all the same.

"No, I just concentrate on doing tricks on my scooter." Scootaloo replied defensively. "We managed to combine his flying with my land speed. We have this wicked routine of his zigzagging right before me as I drive at high speed, we're trying to increase the tightness of his turns to make every pass a close one."

"Sounds rather dangerous. What's wrong with holding a more ordinary job instead of risking one another?"

"Hah, ordinary? I'm not cut out for that sort of thing. Ever since Rainbow Dash made it into the Wonderbolts, I've known I can make my dream of following in her hoofsteps a reality. No flightlessness is stopping me from doing that!" Scootaloo proclaimed as she placed her hoof to her chest.

"And how do you plan on doing that without flight? The thing about the Wonderbolts is that they are known for their aerobatics, something that makes functional wings essential." Tiara was now genuinely intrigued, her brain milling over how this might be of interest to the Ponyville Express.

"We got just the plan. Rumble and I are entering the next Young Flyers competition in Cloudsdale. They don't have a floor in the Cloudsdale Colosseum but they'll reshape the area for parcour and track according to the contestants' need. The risk of a dazzling, deadly drop combined with Rumble's stunt would make my scooter tricks a thing they'll be talking about for years to come!" The orange filly threw up her hooves enthusiastically.

"Sounds rather dangerous. And you're technically not a flyer still, are you?" Diamond Tiara scrunched up her face, a bit wary of bursting Scootaloo's bubble and hurting her feelings. She couldn't help but notice the contrast between now and their time in school.

"Hey, Rarity entered into the Young Flyers competition years ago and she was just a unicorn! Besides, it's not like anypony ever got hurt from falling down below the clouds. There are plenty of fast ponies ready to catch a failing stuntmare. Not that I'll be one of those!" Scootaloo bragged with unfettered pride.

"Sooo, you're living with Rumble now? Are you and him... you know?" Diamond nudged Scootaloo a number of times suggestively.

"We're not dating if that's what you mean." Scootaloo denied with a bit of exasperation. "We decided early on this was only a professional relationship and we're just friends. Besides, I didn't really feel like getting involved with him at the time."

"That sounds like regret. He does look rather handsome, don't you think?" She pointed him out in the crowd, which had grown a bit from the new arrivals, as she leaned in conspiratorially.

"No surprise. His brother Thunderlane was never seen without two mares on each shoulder." Scootaloo rolled her eyes. "Our little team might not be very famous, but that doesn't stop mares from giving him attention. And him flirting back." She turned on Diamond Tiara and thrust her hoof into her chest threateningly. "And don't get any ideas about being another groupie. Just because we're talking won't mean I won't still kick your flank."

Diamond Tiara reared up defensively and threw up her forehooves. "Hey, no need to be so jealous. I'm already married, besides."

"Oh yeah? I don't see your stallion here." Scootaloo narrowed her eyelids.

"Mare. I'm married to Silver Spoon." She corrected Scootaloo.

"Oh, sorry. I should have realized as much." Scootaloo gave a nervous chuckle. "I just don't believe that two ponies who are friends in school should immediately be assumed to be lovers as adults."

"So anyway. Do you think you need any tips on how to get his attention? Stallions are very thick about mares who try to show their interest in them. You should probably forget about dropping subtle hints and be direct." Diamond began instructing her.

"No kidding. For Hearts & Hooves day I got him a wing preening kit and he asked me if I really thought he smelled bad." Scootaloo rolled her eyes.

Diamond Tiara giggled. "Yeah, that's not gonna work. You shouldn't come on too strong, but don't be ambiguous either. Just come right out and ask him on a date. Maybe you can time it to coincide with some important anniversary. But don't be shy, the worst that could happen is that he'll say he's not interested in you. It won't be the end of the world."

"I don't really talk about this much with my friends. Thanks Diamond Tiara, I guess I'll just have to be more confident." Scootaloo stood just a little straighter at her words of encouragement.

"I know I can't speak for your friends, but I'd still bet they'll support you in your tries to woo him. They know you better than me, so they can help you arrange the perfect date. Doesn't Sweetie Belle's sister have something nice to pick up for you and your colt at her boutique?" Diamond suggested.

"Hey yeah! Thanks Diamond Tiara, you're alright I guess." Scootaloo responded much more positively than when the reacquainted minutes ago.

She shrugged. "It's easy to know ponies when you're the popular filly. And besides, you owe me an interview for the Ponyville Express when you make it in the Young Flyers competition."

"You think we have a real shot? Man, it'd be great to be on the front of the sports section. We really want to break out into the Cloudsdale scene. It's where all the big sports pegasi make their mark."

"When you do, I'll be sure to put your advertisement in the Ponyville Express free. Sure, it doesn't belong in a village newspaper, but I'm sure I can talk the mayor into recognizing the boost to our town's popularity of having three nationwide sport stars and justify the publicity coming from the town's cultural subsidies budget." Diamond gushed as if she was Photo Finish promising to make a star out somepony.

"I'm holding you to it. I think I'll go see what the others are up to. See you later." Scootaloo departed.

Diamond Tiara pumped her foreleg in triumph. She hadn't come here expecting much, but keeping an eye out for schmoozing with ponies had paid off for her once more. With a bit of luck, there'd be more nuggets to pursue among her former classmates.

Author's Note:

I managed to get more out of Scootaloo than I had anticipated. It seems friendship between Diamond Tiara and the Cutie Mark Crusaders is not an entirely lost cause in this case. But I believe a change of perspective for the next chapter is called for. But which pony will that be and who do they interact with?