• Published 6th Sep 2014
  • 2,535 Views, 134 Comments

New Faces, New Friends - ZephyrStrife



Fire burning in the depths of a frozen wasteland, our heroes will need to overcome the challenges of a whole new world!

  • ...
6
 134
 2,535

Chapter 6

Speaking with Aggie hadn't actually been all that bad. the group spoke for a few minutes, requested to see King Halfpaw, were denied because he had recently left to speak with Arceus, collectively sighed, then thanked Aggie for her time before leaving to make a new plan.

"Okay... So it's not a complete bummer... We still can gather the supplies we need to see Arceus." Mick says, narrowly avoiding a smack across the back of the head from Emma.

"Do you WANT to get erased off the face of the planet!? You don't just simply walk up to the GOD OF ALL POKEMON and make a request!" Emma gave him a glare that made him happy she wasn't a psychic pokemon.

"Well... I just wanted to ask if I could have my gear back... Obviously I don't care about what few pokeballs I had, but there was still a lot of useful stuff we could have, like the evolution stones, the TMs as well as the medical supplies." Emma was holding a paw out as if pointing an accusatory finger at Mick while her mind tried to think of something to say in order to at least attempt to get her (former) trainer to not want to go see the god of all pokemon.

To her it was a mission that was destined for failure and she didn't want to see him get hurt.

Widget clapped her paws together, "I've got a perfect idea!" She exclaims, getting the attention of the rest of the group. "We'll stay at my cousin Vinny's place and get some supplies around, there's a railway that goes almost to the Everfree, about a day's travel between the end of the line and the beginning of the forest."

"Yeah, I kinda want to see Vinny again anyway, see how he's getting along with his inventing." Gleaming gem replies with a smirk before turning to Mick and Emma. "I think you guys would love his inventions, he may even be able to help you learn how to speak our language." At the affronted looks from both of the pokemon in front of him he decided to clarify a bit. "I know you guys can understand us, but we need a way to understand each other without needing to resort to a game of charades. Helping you guys speak our language, or at least to help us understand yours... Which I'm thinking may be near impossible since many of you speak what would normally sound like hundreds of different languages..."

After a few thoughtful moments, Emma picks Mick up like a baby and begins to walk, ignoring Mick's protests as she nods to Widget.

"Stop! No! Put me down! We need to move as fast as we can toward Arceus! Not in what is quite possibly the wrong direction!" Mick argues as he tries to wiggle out of Emma's grasp... Which is surprisingly strong despite her not having thumbs.

Emma rolls her eyes as she easily manages to keep the pint-sized pokemon in her paws. "Mick..." She begins with a tone that slows his struggles. "...How many battling moves do you know?"

"Uh..." He hesitates giving Emma the opening she was looking for.

"Your father may have been a fully trained ninja, but you are not, and currently have no battling moves, thus meaning that you would quite likely be easy prey." She explains as she hugs him closer.

Mick lets out a slight sigh and nuzzles a little into her chest. "Where would I be if I didn't have my second mother...?"

"Probably some bigger pokemon's lunch." Emma replies in a matter-of-fact tone.

"You know... Sometimes you really do kill the adorable mood now that I can understand you... and realized that all of your adorable squeaks had just been you answering rhetorical questions."

Emma had just been happy that Mick was looking away so she could calm the blush that appeared on her face. "... Get it together, He's called you adorable before." She mentally scolds herself as she looks down at the Cyndaquil half-asleep in her arms. "Aww... The widdle baby tuckered himself out with all his struggling..." The thought immediately causes her to stop and think about exactly what just went through her mind.

"Well... That was... Weird..."


After about an hour the group found themselves in front of a, Not quite huge, home. A loud crash and several banging sounds later the front door quickly opened and shut with a diamond dog who's coat was quite similar to Widget's coat, although it was a few shades lighter. The dig was panting a bit hard while clutching what looked to be a frying pan before he noticed the small group outside his home. His eyes shrunk a little as he recognized Widget and Gleaming Gem, causing him to raise his paws to the air and exclaim his enending joy about the entire situation in the world that had so perfectly aligned itself so that he and his cousin could be reunited once more.

"HEEEYYYY Cou-sin!" He shouts as he wraps Widget up in a tight hug, "I remember Gemmy over here but who are your new friends?" He asks as he breaks the hug and examines the Quilava and recently-awoken Cyndaquil. "They just look so ADORABLE!" He squees as he starts to pet Emma, making her blush and causing Mick to snicker a little.

"Well Vinny... These are a couple of pokemon we found out in the tundra... They nearly froze to death and now we're taking care of them."

He put a paw up to his mouth to cover an exaggerated gasp. "Oh no! Then these poor dears had better not stay outside much longer! They must be put inside as soon as possible so that we can make sure they are at full strength!" He declared as he waved a paw dramatically in the air. "But first I must deal with a pesky little invention gone haywire."

Before anyone could say anything Vinny quickly opened the door, brandishing his frying pan, and leapt inside the home with a mighty battlecry.

"Get back you mechanical fiend! Back I say! AND STOP EATING MY DIRT!"

Mick looked up at Emma in the stunned silence that was permeated with the metallic banging of whatever Vinny was fighting. "Emma... I think that our life here is about to get even stranger..."

Emma nodded with a dumbstruck look, "Yes Mick... Yes it is..."


It was definitely a strange sight... Vinny began to lean back in an easy-chair while propping his feet up on what appeared to be a mechanical galvantula. Everyone else seemed to be sitting on the only other couch in the living room.

"Sorry I don't have more places to sit, I don't often get company that stays for that long." Vinny says with a shrug. "Anyways... You two can call me Cousin Vinny... Everyone calls me Cousin Vinny, but don't worry, I'm not your actual cousin so don't be askin' for money." Vinny says with a smile.

Emma gives the strange diamond dog a confused look before he realizes something. "Oh yeah! Why don't any of y'all speak? Is it because you can only say yer names like some of the other pokeymans around here?" At that he got a nod from Mick. "Then do I have a wonderful item that... Might... be able to help!"

He seems to defy gravity, much like a few other pokemon that Emma could place, as he springs up from the easy chair and dashes to one of the side rooms, eliciting a few clanks and bangs from the back room before letting out a shout. "Okay! Come on back!"

Hesitanty, the entire group gets up off the couch to see what the slightly off his rocker inventor had in the back room. To say they were surprised is an understatement...

There was a massive machine that just seemed to be haphazardly thrown together just to quite possibly fall to pieces at any time. There were several conveyor belts that simply fed dirt from one end of the machine into the other. There were a few clanks and bangs before the dirt seemed to simply get sorted into mason jars, the exact criteria that they were sorted by was lost on the four awestruck beings just looking at the incredibly complex machinery.

And that was when Vinny had appeared behind them all, causing them to jump. "Like it?" he asks with a grin.

Author's Note:

What could this new machine do? Why does it sort dirt? Why am I asking so many questions that may or may not be answered in the next chapter? Find out in the next episode of

POKEMON: The Equus Chronicles!

Leave comments! I like comments like a munchlax likes food!