• Published 6th Sep 2014
  • 2,535 Views, 134 Comments

New Faces, New Friends - ZephyrStrife



Fire burning in the depths of a frozen wasteland, our heroes will need to overcome the challenges of a whole new world!

  • ...
6
 134
 2,535

Chapter 3

Mick blinked his eyes a few times, letting out a yawn as he woke. He finally managed to get a good look at the room he was in and, aside from the clay or stone walls, it wasn't too different from his room back home. Taking things slow because it still felt like his entire body was sitting on pins and needles because of how long he had been laying down he started to look a bit more at himself, twisting and moving just enough to tell where his limits were before he started to hurt.

Unfortunately for his sore neck that wasn't very far before he almost felt it cramp. Nonetheless he started testing the other parts of his body, knowing that his familiar muscle memory wasn't going to cut it.

...Or... At least he thought it wasn't going to cut it...

Aside from not having thumbs, his smaller form really didn't have too many poses or muscles that he wasn't familiar with. Gingerly grasping the side of the bed, he began to lower himself to the floor, mentally cursing himself as his feet erupted in that stinging needle feeling again.

He took a few deep breaths until the pain subsided, allowing him to put a bit more weight on his feet. It was... An interesting sensation... Being on these new feet. They felt longer than he was used to, and he wobbled a little as his legs felt like jelly after he took his first step. Dedication and an incredible amount of stubborn pride that he had inherited from his mother kept him from letting himself fall while he practiced walking around.

First he tried it on two feet until a particularly large spike of discomfort had forced him to all fours... Which, to his surprise, was actually a lot more comfortable as he started to walk off the pins and needles. Slowly at first, but he had always been a fast hands-on learner so he actually managed to get a bit more confident with each step he took on all fours until he got back up to a decent walking speed.

Smiling like a fool he decided to try two feet again to test his balance.

Fortunately enough he only wobbled a little as he stood up, although with his elongated feet it was going to be a bit more difficult to not scuff his pads on the floor. It was nice, his arms moved like he remembered, most of his body actually still moved like he remembered so that helped in deflating the panic attack he knew he was going to have once all this elation wore off.

"Okay... So the panic train isn't going to go all the way to Nopeville, it'll just stop in the City of Mildly Manageable... That's good..." Mick says with a slightly forced chuckle. "After all... The more time spent delaying the panic the more time you can spend organizing your thoughts to make the panic as short as possible."

{[]}

Emma was back up to her normal walking speed, She wasn't going to be running anytime soon, but walking was better than laying on a bed all day gorging herself on soup... No matter how delicious the soup was... Now if only she could get Mick to learn how to cook...

That thought stopped her in her tracks. "...Mick..." She whimpered, feeling a stab of cold shoot through her heart. "... Please... Please let that Cyndaquil be you... Just so I know you're safe..."

With a newfound determination Emma tempered her resolve and got back to practicing her walk, making absolutely sure that she could get her full range of motion and wasn't risking any sort of muscle shattering.

{[]}

Mick took a deep breath as he sat down against the bed, Even walking had been tiring. It was just good that he was able to get up and move again, That one strange Mightyena checked up on him to help make sure he was fed, she was nice, if he had originally been born a pokemon she was definitely something he would've looked for in a trainer.

Now that he was resting though, he could only focus on his growing concern for Minna and Todd. The two Eevee had been such a recent addition with little to no battle experience, That was what weighed heavily on him, he knew the rest of his team was skilled enough to take care of themselves. He let out a sigh as he held... most of his face in his paws, he was still getting used to having such a long muzzle and no thumbs... He was going to miss his thumbs.

While it would've been a perfect time to slip into depression and weep uncontrollably despite what little manliness he had built up over the years, he simply sighed and went back to thinking, to reviewing the work that his parents had him do every day to make sure he could enjoy a pokemon journey one day without needing to worry about school. His work with breeding, math, language skills, reading, comprehension, all of them pushed to their limits and then given just the needed push to break those limits and propel him forward in his studies. No matter what negative stigma some breeders got and how lots of people thought that breeding pokemon was by forcing them to have an egg, He knew the truth, and that truth lived on in Minna and Todd.

Those two were powerful for their age, The trainer who originally wanted them had only wanted a certain breed of eevee, one that was incredibly powerful to compete in leagues from a young age. But they hadn't passed the trainer's exacting standards, something about how they weren't shiny enough, Mick hadn't cared at the time because the Vaporeon and Umbreon that were producing the litters at the time were his friends, and he made sure that they were well cared for while they were helping. His parents had never forced their pokemon into loving each other or even mating.

He was familiar with a few pokemon rangers, since a few stopped by every so often to make sure the Eevee were all taken care of, which they were without fail, One of the rangers had even adopted a couple to give to his daughter while he was away on missions.

Mick's thoughts were suddenly interrupted as the door to his room slowly began to open, And then as suddenly as his thoughts had directed him to the door, his mind drew a complete blank as he practically stared at the stunningly lithe form of the Quilava entering the room in front of him, her crimson eyes blinking once as she seems to appraise his current form up and down.

He couldn't bring himself to say anything, so she simply spoke first. "...Mick...?" Her voice is barely above a whisper, but to him, that was all he needed to give a dumbstruck nod. In an instant she had managed to cross the room and directly after that... Mick noticed a distinct lack of oxygen in his lungs as she hugged him tightly.

"Oh Mick! I was so worried! I thought something happened, and then I saw you as a Cyndaquil but I didn't know you were a Cyndaquil! But now I've found you and know it's you and... You're... You're..." Mick takes a gasp of air as she holds his diminutively light form out at arm's length, making him feel... somehow... a bit less awkward than he would've if he was human. "...You're incredibly adorable!" She squees as she hugs him tightly again. "Oh... I don't want to lose you again." She ponders as she keeps Mick tightly in her embrace.

He manages to struggle enough to where he manages to Rasp out, "...AIR!!!" Snapping Emma to her senses and getting her to drop him so he could breathe again.

After a few minutes of him gasping for breath he finally is able to speak once again. "...I... Missed you too... Emma... I..." He stretches a little. "Ah... I didn't like staying in this room all by myself because I didn't know where the rest of my team is. We have to find them, Moreso Minna and Todd because they're the least trained, but we need to find them."

Emma nods, slowly leaning in to give the little mouse that's half her size a warm hug. "... You're still adorable though..." She teases.

Mick rolls his eyes and gives her a playful growl, "Shut up... I'm not cute."

Author's Note:

Yes! Two chapters in a single day!? What is this madness!? Well, after having a major plot hole pointed out by Serpentking789, I decided to go and add in a new chapter again today. One that covers Mick's reaction and acclimation to becoming a pokemon, which will also force me to edit chapter 4 as well. since I probably should add in a bit more of what happened after Arceus' speech... DARN YOU INCONVENIENT DIALOGUE DEVELOPMENT POINTS!!! WHY MUST YOU TAKE AWAY FROM THE ADVENTURE!!!

But on a more serious note, I do enjoy when my readers explain to me what they think may have been wrong in my approach, I may not change it to exactly the way everyone wants, but I do try to get pretty close so that the characters can be developed and don't just feel like cardboard cutouts.

AS ALWAYS!!! Leave a comment... I just love responding to my readers! Leave a like... It keeps me motivated to keep writing! And leave a fave... It makes me feel like I'm actually accomplishing something...

PEACE!!!